Menu

S/O of the wedding thread--Do you have a style?

Barn Shabby???? I attempted to flirt with dh yesterday while still in a grey, green, and red flannel shirt that just possibly might have been found at an archaeological dig before it came into my possession, still wearing my barn jeans which had a rather large rip in them and smelled of horse stall, covered by a lavender fleece vest, with mismatched pink and purple socks on my feet, and hair pulled up in a sloppy ponytail. A faint "eau du horse/cheval" still wafted through the air.

I guess on Sunday mornings I do make an effort and it still isn't a style...it's called skirt and sweater set that is comfy for playing the piano.

Faith

Yes, my style is slim and elegant. Unfortunately, I am overweight, so I'm not pulling this off very well at present. But it's still my style, to the core.

I like black pencil skirts, fitted blue jeans, black dressy pants, and jackets of all shapes and styles. I think that women can be attractive without being silly-looking if they just choose to be elegant rather than revealing in their appearance, wearing fitted, well cut clothes.

Do you have a style? If so, what is it? Did it just naturally happen or do you TRY to shop for certain clothes? Any good books out there about style?

I'm trying. Now that I am past the mommy of young children stage and into the "we're not a spring chicken anymore" stage, I want to feel comfortable with the way I look.

Someone here posted a link to a site called "Dressing Your Truth" back in January. Since I am really cheap, I decided to spend my time analyzing the information on my own by watching the youtube videos instead of buying the books or course. They tell you not to do this, because there is a lot of info you don't get from the videos, but I think I'm gleaning enough for now.

This system helps you figure out your basic "energy" type and how you can adapt your style to fit who you are as a person. There are 4 basic types and each type tends to look better with clothes and accessories that are certain colors and are constructed with certain features. It can sound hoky, but I've found that it really does seem to work well.

ETA: I guess you can call the style I am aiming for "romantic casual."

Edited by Onceuponatime

I described myself earlier this week as a hippie/mod/preppie. Probably shoudl add beach bum in there too.

Hippie chick jeans & polo shirt were accompanied by a mod purse and tattered flip flops at the time I described myself that way. :scared:

I just asked my husband to describe my style and he said, "Sweaty athlete."

So there you have it from the inside looking out, and the outside, looking in. :lol:

Hippy adventure chick meets the beach. IOW I'll wear my camo capris with a tunic shirt and flip flops.

Tim Gunn would have a certain expression on his face and then simply state "All right, make it work." about my style.

I'm thinking of adding English style hats to my repertoire. :D

Yes. I'm very picky about color (white, black and jewel tones). I'm very picky about fit (either the top or the bottom needs to be fitted; I'm not wearing something that's loose all over - that kind of thing makes me feel antsy). Usually what I want is something that's fitted to the waist (but once a month that's not true!).

I usually like to wear one slightly fancy thing (like a hair scarf, or a top that's ornately cut) and keep all the rest of the outfit very, very simple. And even the fancy thing has to have clean lines and not be too ornate, or it doesn't work. I'm short, and so there are a lot of things I can't wear because they overwhelm me visually.

When I wear skirts, I like it when they're full. Not necessarily long (though that's fine) but full. That's not a necessity, just a preference.

And my hair is always, always, always put up. Usually in a style that looks fancy (like chignon or crown braids) but that is really easy to actually create.

Non-silvertone jewelry. Usually gold, but copper and bronze tones are okay too. Again, simpler is better, because I'm short.

I feel depressed if I'm wearing a color out of my palette or dumpy clothes.

Within those rules, anything goes, so I actually have a lot of variety in my wardrobe. But when I shop, I look for color first, which cuts out about 70% of what I see. Then I look at material (it's hot here, so I want mostly cotton). Then I look at cut. If all of those are good, I try it on!

It's taken me a long time to come up with this, and this is actually the first time I've written it all out! Trial and error. Lots of error. :) But I like how I dress now.

Edited by Britomart
ETA: "dumpy" does not equal "non-formal", btw. :) I'm in California; I'm in jeans or shorts all the time!

I see my style as a cross between Audrey Hepburn and Rosilind Russell (ala Auntie Mame) if they were both short, lumpy and lived in the midwest.

Basically, simple and elegant, with shiny costume jewelry and cheap shoes.

As I was an 80s pre-goth/punkish/new romantic and a 90s indie hipster, I cannot leave the house without half of my wardrobe being black.;)

I have never owned anything denim. Not even jeans. You would never catch me in crocs or birkenstocks. However I have no problem staying in my pjs all day.

Edited by radiobrain

Eclectic - much like my teaching style! My range goes from "cleaning the house grunge wear" to "classic and understated" with "should have been a flower child" crammed somewhere in the middle. If my figure would only cooperate, I think I'd be quite happy settling for "Audrey Hepburn inspired" as my only style. I should have embraced that more fully when I still could! :tongue_smilie:

I feel depressed if I'm wearing a color out of my palette or dumpy clothes.

I'm the same way. The problem for me occurs this time of year. I look best in earth tones. This time of year everyone is selling pale pink, turquoise and other pastels, or lime green, which do nothing but make me look awful.

I don't like busy prints. In fact, I don't care for printed tops. I like a solid color on top.

When I'm going casual, it's boot leg jeans, boots, and a fitted solid color tee shirt.

I prefer to be more dressed up and pretty. I love A-line skirts, of all lengths. I love to wear heels. I have several pairs of tall boots, which I miss terribly in the summer. I prefer my boots to sandals. I'm actually more at ease in heels than tennis shoes, and the few inches of extra height are a plus, I'm only 5'3".

I don't like loose baggy clothing on me. It makes me feel sloppy.

I don't wear big clunky jewelry, but I do like to have some jewelry on at all times.

At home I wear yoga pants and fitted tee shirts.

I don't really like to wear shorts, but sometimes it's necessary. Camping and hiking in skirts is a bit ridiculous. I can't stand really long shorts, or really short shorts. Do you have any idea how difficult it has become to get something somewhere in between?

Eclectic - much like my teaching style! My range goes from "cleaning the house grunge wear" to "classic and understated" with "should have been a flower child" crammed somewhere in the middle. If my figure would only cooperate, I think I'd be quite happy settling for "Audrey Hepburn inspired" as my only style. I should have embraced that more fully when I still could! :tongue_smilie:

A Style?

Let's just say that Stacy and Clinton (What Not to Wear) would have their work cut out for them if I ever got on the show. :blushing:

I am, and have always been all about comfort. When I was a professional I preferred skirts or dresses over pants for that reason. To me skirts are just soft and if they are the flowy type, I can just curl up into them. Not to say that I didn't have pencil type skirts and such, but my favorite is the ruffled, prairie style. Of course I am very short and now quite plump so it is very hard to find them in my size that don't drag the floor. But that is ok too with my favorite sandals. I love lots of color.

I used to be quite coordinated and stylish. However, I have been home for about 10 years now and our finances have been dreary at best. As items have gradually worn out I have some times had to add what was cheapest and not necessarily coordinate. It has gradually wound down to a couple of black skirts, a couple of jean skirts, and a variety of shirts and sweaters that will go with one of those. I do have jeans and jean shorts. Last fall I received some handmedown khaki pants and I have nearly worn them out because it is so nice having something besides jeans.

Do you have a style? If so, what is it? Did it just naturally happen or do you TRY to shop for certain clothes? Any good books out there about style?

The older I get, the better I have become at developing my own style.

Dd and I love watching What Not to Wear as well as Tim Gunn. Dd is a little fashion designer. She absolutely loves anything to do with clothes and style. WNTW and Tim Gunn teach you a LOT. They're really worth watching. We usually record them and watch them at our own convenience.

My absolute favorite style book at the moment is this one.

9780446547475_388X586.jpg

There are some others, but this is my favorite for now. I'd like to get Clinton and Kelly's books, as well as Tim Gunn's. But for now, I'm enjoying the TV shows. :D

Fairly hippie and colourful, though not always- often I feel to wear more subdued earth colours, too, as a balance. I am a Spring and look best in clear, bright colours like peach, apricot, coral, a mid blue, sunshine yellow also white and beige. In summer I wear lots of floral prints, and bright colours, peasant tops, bohemian type clothes. In winter I wear different coloured jeans and coloured long sleeved tshirts and then a jacket or sweater. I have a beautiful collection of both. I am getting a nice collection of hats.

I wear natural fabrics only (cotton and wool, sometimes silk) and love ethnic, hand made clothes like south american sweaters, brightly coloured jackets from Nepal etc. I mostly wear birk clogs in winter, with socks, and slip on earth shoes in summer.

The more I clean out my wardrobe, the more I am encouraged to learn what my style is. The less clothes I have, the more i enjoy what I have and the less I struggle with what to wear.

I did some research with my dd last year on what our bodytype is- it helped me refine what clothes to keep, and what to give away. Now I like fitted waist and bell sleeves, in particular. Between bodytype and season type, I have a good idea of what looks good- its a long way from the frumpy, baggy clothes I wore in my youth- when I was slimmer!

We mostly shop 2nd hand and treat it as an adventure.