Menu

Golf lessons for 6 year olds -- would you???

Hi all! My dad is an avid (although not a very good) golfer. He loves it, spends money on it, takes lessons, and plays a lot. After his grandsons, it is the only thing in the world that makes him really happy (especially since losing my mom 10 years ago). He is 76 years old.

So...for the boys' 6th birthday in June, he wants to get them a set of clubs and start lessons. I'm ok with it, DH thinks maybe its too early. DH also thinks maybe just getting them a putter, iron, and driver instead of a whole set of clubs (I agree with this). I have one lefty and one righty so we would have to get separate sets.

It won't be at our expense and this is something that would make my dad so happy to share with the boys. The other thing is I don't want the boys getting a lot of toys they won't play with for their birthday. This is something active and I think will be used.

Has anyone had a 6 year old take golf lessons and how did it go?

Thanks much!

I don't have any experience with 6 year olds and lessons, but I can tell you from personal experience that golf is like a drug. It's quite easy to become addicted to it. With that in mind, be prepared for your sons to want to play all the time if they catch the bug.

Having grandpa around to facilitate it is nice, but it can be quite consuming. When I was most in to it, I could, and did, play from sunrise to sundown and generally not get bored or tired with it. Just ask my wife, Chelle in MO.

It is a great game that can be shared with lots of people, but it can consume you as well. I was addicted to it like some are addicted to video games and the like.

Don't say you weren't warned.

In all seriousness, I think it would be a great thing since grandpa is involved. My paternal grandfather died when i was about 12 or so. He lived right across the road from the local golf course, which was out in the country outside my home town. My cousins and I used to find golf balls in the ditches and hit them around the pasture with his clubs that he would let us use.

One of my fondest memories of him is sitting on his porch and seeing his golf buddies and him arrive on the 9th tee, which was just across the road. I ran up to say hi, and he let me hit a ball before any of them did. I didn't hit it very well, but was really proud that he wanted to show me off to his friends. At the time, he was in the closing stages of terminal lung cancer. He passed away not too long after. In the years that passed after he died, I never hit a ball from that tee that I didn't remember that day.

In summary, despite the potential addiction issues, I say do it. The potential memories are well worth the risk.

Edited by Dad 4 Boys

My middle is on his third level of the local chapter of The First Tee. I wish he could have started that young as he has a natural talent and a great work ethic.

My Dad was a golfer and he died suddenly before Middle took the interest. I wish they could have had times like that together.

The First Tee classes have an introductory level at about 6 I think and then Player is for 7 and up. Then there's Par, Birdie, Eagle and Ace - most of those involve skill and age limits. What I like about the program is that it also teaches self control, manners and goal setting. It's a great program.

http://www.thefirsttee.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp

We have a wonderful (and inexpensive) youth golf program where we live and I had both boys start last year. Worked well for DS10, not so much for DS7. The younger one simply had too much energy and too little patience. All the standing quietly while others hit, all the etiquette, was just too much for him right now. At every lesson he was (gently, but firmly) being corrected all. the. time. DH took him out to play a few holes one morning for a reality check. DS just couldn't resist chattering (at the worng time), hopping around, throwing twigs. End of golf.

I had him try a tennis class over Christmas and it was so different. Lots of movement, talking is okay, he is now "all about tennis."

Talk to the golf instructor and find out his/her expectations, then carefully consider whether your kids can meet them.

Best wishes, golf can be a fun game!

I think it sounds great. I would let your dad get a whole set for them. Very few kids use a driver, so you will need a three or five wood, and middle irons will be used a lot in lessons. Youth golf clubs are not that expensive, so you would spend as much, if not more to find separate pieces and a bag. Be sure you find a light bag with a stand on it!!

Golf clubs for kids don't have to be expensive.

Also, a golf course near us does a summer camp that is 1 week and includes a beginner golf club set. It starts at 6, so my 5 year old (6 in September) is too young. You might check around for that type of scenario. Older dd wants to try tennis and younger wants to try golf. I let them each pick a summer day camp. I'm still looking and have been referred to another driving range that I need to call. I think their lessons are set up as twice a week for a month.

She comes by it honestly, since dh takes them both out to "caddy" for him. And they share a junior set that came, inexpensively, with a bag, putter, couple of other clubs. So they've been out to the driving range and golf course and easily keep to basic golf manners.

So, you know what my vote is. :)

Edited by snickelfritz

My dad is a great golfer (still is at 85 years old, I kid you not) my mom was great back in the day too. They have belonged to country clubs forever and way before golf was popular. They made me play when I was younger and I hated it, could kick myself now. My dad tried to get my daughter involved when she was around your son's age (he even made her a set of left handed clubs) she played for a minute and then quit. Now she could kick herself too. It is a great sport and I would nurture your dad's love for it and encourage your boys to try it.

Yes! What a great way to connect with their grandfather!

My DD8 and DS5 just finished a golf 'academy'--morning lessons for the past four Saturdays. There were other children there, ranging in age from 4 to early teens. The instructors were very good at teaching the children at their level and giving them plenty of guided opportunities to practice. My DC had a great time and are looking forward to taking more lessons in the future.

I don't have any experience with 6 year olds and lessons, but I can tell you from personal experience that golf is like a drug. It's quite easy to become addicted to it. With that in mind, be prepared for your sons to want to play all the time if they catch the bug.
:lol:

My DS just started golf lessons three weeks ago. He cried for an hour after his first lesson, "because he loved it so much and he couldn't believe we hadn't offered him lessons earlier." So. Yeah. If they like it, it's like a drug. We can't drive past a golf course, golf store or driving range now without DS saying, "IlovegolfIlovegolfIlovegolf." :001_huh:

DS is taking lessons for homeschooled children at a country club. Most of the boys in the class are actually learning so they can play with their grandpas, which I think is so awesome. (And makes me feel a tinge of jealousy that DS doesn't have grandpas active in his life.)

Do it! What a wonderful idea from their grandpa who can spend precious time with them while they learn a new sport. Kids do soccer and everything else at six so why not? We have friends whose twin sons did this with tennis around age five and now they are benefiting from very nice scholarships!

• 10 months later...