Menu

Best rice recipe ever (like Chipotle's)

Note: I use coconut oil.

Recipe #2: Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice (Tweaked Version) Submitted by Ramya Maddela

1 tbsp oil (canola/vegetable)

2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped fine

1 fresh key lime (or ½ regular lime)

½ tsp salt (kosher or sea salt)

1 cup long grain white rice (or basmati, if you can bear the funky smell)

2 cups water

Sautee the rice in oil until almost translucent (as if you are making a risotto).

Add water, bring to a boil.

As soon as the water begins to boil, turn the heat down low.

Simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.

Turn off heat. DON'T PEEK. LEAVE IT COVERED for 30 minutes (this is the "steaming" part.... Chipotle steams rice every hour). This is what makes the rice fluffy. You won’t be happy with yourself if you don’t do this. Be patient. Good things come to those who wait.

Remove lid, let some of the steam out. It may be helpful to transfer rice into a mixing bowl for the next step.

Mix salt and juice of key lime together until salt is dissolved.

Pour it over rice, fluff with a fork.

Sprinkle in cilantro, and toss well to evenly coat with cilantro and lime mixture.

Could you use brown rice for this?

You might have to change the amount of water and the cooking time.

I bought a 5-gallon bag of white rice (that was all they had) back when there was a lot of talk about stocking up. I still have about 4 gallons, LOL.

I would prefer to use brown rice, but I insist on using this up.

yum! It makes me want to have a burrito bar dinner one of these nights.

The last time I made it, I cooked some boneless chicken breast chunks and made a bar out of:

chicken

rice

black beans

sweet peppers

salsa

sour cream

cheddar cheese

guacamole

chopped romaine

fresh tomatoes

zesty corn

I had a bowl of blue corn tortilla chips to go with it.

YUM

Well, not having them beside one another for a taste-test, it's honestly hard to say. You can google and see other recipes, but this is the one I tried.

All I can say is, I really like it. I also really like that it's not at all sticky.

I used bottled lime juice and fresh cilantro.

Does it really taste like Chipotle's rice, or just taste "good?"

I'm all for it if it tastes like the real thing! (It would save me about $7--LOL)

• 4 months later...
Dawn, I know this is an old post, but this IS the best Chipotle-like rice recipe! I've kept it ever since you posted, making it for the second time today. Sauteeing the rice, patiently waiting at the end--makes it perfect.

Thank you SO much for sharing!!

You're so welcome! My boys don't like the lime, so I make rice using the same method -- just omitting the lime juice. I bought so much white rice for some panic stock-up, and I haven't even made a dent in it.

It's just so much softer this way and not sticky.

I discovered a similar recipe about 6 months ago and I've must have made it a dozen times already. My kids won't touch Spanish rice, but they LOVE this stuff. My recipe has fresh garlic, chicken stock instead of water, and you zest and juice the lime. Now I wanna try it using my ingredient list and your cooking method. :D Oh holy grail of rice recipes!