Menu

Should we get a new dog?

At the end of this past Oct. we had to surrender our dog Sam to the shelter. He was aggressive towards the baby and nothing I did seemed to stop it from happening. We'd had him for almost 4 years, but it just wasn't safe for baby so we decided to give him up. We were all really sad about it, but he was a crazy wild dog (completely our fault--between a rough pregnancy and a scary first year with dd, he just didn't get the attention he needed) and frankly, it's been a lot less stressful around here without him.

Now, it's 5 months later. We miss Sam, and the kids have been wanting a new dog. We've tossed the idea around, but funds are tight and we can't quite afford to adopt. Today, dh tells me that someone at work had a 1 year old male Dutch Shepherd that they need to get rid of, and he's free to a good home. They're moving out of state and can't take him. Obviously we'd need to see this dog first, but it's hard to pass up a free dog.

Now, here are my qualms...Regina is still pretty high needs. She's a typical 2 year old in that she's in to everything all the time. We call her Hurricane Regina because she can tear up a room in under 2 minute. I'm nervous that I won't be able to juggle baby and dog and 3 older kids and it'll be just like last time. The older kids are telling me that they're willing to help with a new dog, but we've btdt. I know what to expect there.

And I'll admit it--I'm lazy. Dogs are a lot of work, between walking the dog, cleaning up poop, training the dog, etc. And I know that 99% of that work is going to fall on me. I had a dog my whole life growing up, and I miss that now. But when I was a kid, I pretty much did zero work. My "job" was to snuggle with Baggins (our family dog) and play with him. I left all the hard stuff to my parents, which is what the kids (and even dh) are going to do to me.

I also know that dh and my kids are all still missing their dog and part of me feels like it's my fault we had to give him up.

So, if you were in my shoes--would you get the dog?

No.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dutchshepherd.htm

Friendly, loving, playful and highly energetic. A very happy dog. Cunningly smart. Provided children are seen as pack leaders, they can also be good friends with them.

IMO, this is not a dog for a family that has a 2 year old and that has no real work for the dog to do.

Edited by RoughCollie

No.

Your oldest is old enough to start of pet sitting business. Perhaps, walking a neighbor's dog would be a good start. If she is able to maintain such a business responsibly for a couple years, that might be the time to reconsider. If she can't do the work of a pet sitter then obviously she can't do the work of a pet owner. As younger siblings get older they may be able to help run or take over the business.

You should not feel guilty about this. You know you cannot care for the animal properly on your own and you know that is what would be expected. This is just the wrong time for your family.

at least not right now. I am not meaing this to sound rude, but I will be very candid.:001_huh:

-you said you are low on funds-if you can't afford to adopt-seriously can you afford to properly care for a dog-good quality food, preventative health care and the ability to deal with an emergency broken leg/illness/surgery

-you admitted to being basically unwilling to work with the dog on a regular basis. All dogs need training and if you aren't willing to do it-the dog just may end up at the shelter like the last one.

-Training and caring for a dog takes time-and it sounds like you don't have much.

-that breed of dog is not a good match for an unmotivated owner who will not work with it consistently and keep it mentally and physically fit.

listen, I have been an obedience instructor. I love dogs and I am down to 1 nearly 13 year old dog now (I had 4 for years-3 German Shorthaired Pointers and a Dalmatian). I just don't have time to train one to be a good member of the family now with 18 mo, 5 yo and 12 yo kids. When Buddy is gone, I will likely adopt an old dog from a rescue group that has lower exercise requirements, is housetrained and used to kids-and I may wait a few years for that.

I would vote no. It sounds like you have enough on your plate.

I know you want a dog. I want one too! We gave our dog to a great home before we moved, and we all miss him. I have dreams about him finding us at our new house.

He was a great dog, but I didn't have time for him. I wanted him to have a better life - one that he deserved - and that's why I gave him up. Nothing has changed in my life that makes it so I have more time for a dog, so as much as I want one, I'm waiting until we're ready for one. I can't see that we will be able to do it much before Schmooey is 5, and honestly, it may be longer than that.

:grouphug: I know it's hard. But, I hope you'll wait. It's not fair to the dog not to train it. Schmooey was bitten in the face on Friday by a very sweet dog who does not get nearly enough exercise or training. She was playing with him like she would another puppy. It was terrifying. You don't need to go there, especially when it could be your dog biting your child.

I sure wouldn't advise that you get this dog.

The cost of adopting a dog is potentially very minor compared to the cost of feeding, vaccinating, caring for, and training a dog, not to mention replacement of anything the dog chews on and ruins. And, what to do if there is a serious medical need or emergency?

This is a young dog, from a powerful breed. From a description of the breed:

"The Dutch Shepherd is a high-energy, intelligent dog which requires a great amount of daily exercise. Lack of exercise can result in boredom and destructive behavior. They do best in a household with assertive people to give them leadership, consistency and guidance. Dutch Shepherds can be territorial and protective of their property and family"

If you can't provide significant amounts of exercise, training and leadership, you may have another behavioral issue on your hands.

With young children in the house, you need to be very selective about any future pets, as you have already experienced with your previous dog. Some breeds and individuals are MUCH better suited to sedentary family life than others. Choosing by what is free to adopt is asking for trouble.

Edited by Kebo

I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to get a dog right now--I think I just needed others to remind me why it wouldn't be a good idea. Thanks for doing that. It's hard, because I know my dh really misses our dog and wants a new one. He was excited that one practically fell into our laps, and I hated to say no--but I had to, because there is just no way I could make it work.

I need to try and wait until baby isn't so much work--with her issues, that might be a while. Hopefully I can hold off dh and the kids until then. Maybe we should get a goldfish. :tongue_smilie:

I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to get a dog right now--I think I just needed others to remind me why it wouldn't be a good idea. Thanks for doing that. It's hard, because I know my dh really misses our dog and wants a new one. He was excited that one practically fell into our laps, and I hated to say no--but I had to, because there is just no way I could make it work.

I need to try and wait until baby isn't so much work--with her issues, that might be a while. Hopefully I can hold off dh and the kids until then. Maybe we should get a goldfish. :tongue_smilie:

No. You really shouldn't do that either. It wouldn't be fair to the goldfish.

Honestly, I'd take this time to focus on your family, and your sweet dd's issues, before you worry about adding one more thing to your plate to care for. Even a fish can become a burden, sweetie. Animals are great, but it's really best to wait until you can devote some time to taking care of them, and it doesn't sound like you have enough even for goldfish right now.

Forget the goldfish. You will have to clean the bowl etc. It is a yucky job, if you ask me. Plus, the kids will overfeed the fish with both fish food and real food. The worst part is, no matter how much you wish the fish would die, they won't. This is likely because you will be one saving their lives by making sure they don't eat Doritos, Saltines, peanut butter sandwich pieces, or the mountain of fish food someone dumped in the water. They will live forever, no matter how much you fantasize about flushing dead fish down the commode.

Only the lucky ones (like me) have a neighbor who wants them enough to take them off their hands.

I'm so glad you've decided against the dog, and I do hope you'll decide against ANY animal at this time in your life. There will be a season when you can behave as a responsible pet owner should, but that season is not now and I'm so glad that you really DO realize this. :001_smile: You have a lot going on right now! This season will pass. :grouphug:

Forget the goldfish. You will have to clean the bowl etc. It is a yucky job, if you ask me. Plus, the kids will overfeed the fish with both fish food and real food. The worst part is, no matter how much you wish the fish would die, they won't. This is likely because you will be one saving their lives by making sure they don't eat Doritos, Saltines, peanut butter sandwich pieces, or the mountain of fish food someone dumped in the water. They will live forever, no matter how much you fantasize about flushing dead fish down the commode.

Only the lucky ones (like me) have a neighbor who wants them enough to take them off their hands.

Wow, my kids would never do that to a fish! We actually had several fish (and even 2 lobsters, but obviously not at the same time as the fish) before we got our last dog and my kids (then between the ages of 4-7) were really good about feeding them the right amount and only fish food.

I was kidding about the fish by the way. As much as my kids beg for a pet, I know I'd be the one maintaining it, and whether it's a fish, a lizard or a dog, I just don't feel up to having one more job on my plate.

No.

Not because you're horrible and a terrible dog parent--but I have to say, I have never, ever gotten an adoption dog that was a good fit. Ever. I have done the shelter route, and I will never, ever again. The dogs have bad habits from not being trained as puppies that sometimes, no matter how much training you give them, never goes away. And that's from the mouth of a very reputable trainer (i had brought my adopted dog in for training). It's not PC to say so, so I normally keep my mouth shut and yes, there are always *great* shelter dogs/second hand dogs, but that has not been my experience nor the trainers.

Save your money, really think about your family and the breed that will fit you best, and buy a puppy from a reputable breeder.

Edited by justamouse

Only get a dog if Mom wants to take care of the dog! I have a friend that says you get a dog when the kids are older and you want a new baby. :D

Yep, that's when we rescued our GS. Don't get the dog. How much more guilty will you feel when you have to give him up in 6 mo. for the same reasons?

Dogs can be wonderful at the right time in your life. I'm not being snarky when I say look into something like this, a stuffed animal. I have a dog, she is like a toddler and follows me everywhere. I love her, but it's MY dog. A few Christmas ago dh bought me the stuffed wolf. I love it. It sits on my bed. I use it for a bed pillow, it's very realistic looking. Ds and I drag her to class and the real dog gets jealous. We named her and everything. I have a cat and a dog and I'm a middle aged woman, yet I love my stuffed wolf.

No.

Not because you're horrible and a terrible dog parent--but I have to say, I have never, ever gotten an adoption dog that was a good fit. Ever. I have done the shelter route, and I will never, ever again. The dogs have bad habits from not being trained as puppies that sometimes, no matter how much training you give them, never goes away. And that's from the mouth of a very reputable trainer (i had brought my adopted dog in for training). It's not PC to say so, so I normally keep my mouth shut and yes, there are always *great* shelter dogs/second hand dogs, but that has not been my experience nor the trainers.

Save your money, really think about your family and the breed that will fit you best, and buy a puppy from a reputable breeder.

I think I agree. I used to get pound dogs and they were good and didn't need potty trained usually. However, raising my sweetie from a puppy has just made her the best dog for us. She didn't have any psychological issues that we found perplexing. She's not perfect, but we understand her better I think since we have had her since babyhood.

No.

YMMV, obviously, but the most wonderful family pet I've ever owned was a rescue ... and practically all my friends have found wonderful, well-adjusted dogs that were adult adoptees from the shelter. I personally would never get a dog anywhere OTHER than a shelter. There are just too many great dogs that need homes out there already.

ETA: That said, I'm absolutely sure this family made the right choice in not adopting a dog right now!

I think I agree. I used to get pound dogs and they were good and didn't need potty trained usually. However, raising my sweetie from a puppy has just made her the best dog for us. She didn't have any psychological issues that we found perplexing. She's not perfect, but we understand her better I think since we have had her since babyhood.

I was in a shelter the other day and they had a newcomer puppy leashed behind the desk. The worker comes out, pats her stomach and encourages the dog to jump up on her and all I could do was think, "Do you know how much an owner is going to have to do to get that dog to *stop* jumping on them or their kids?" She had the best intentions, I know, but that is a reason a dog will come back to the shelter.

Dogs can be wonderful at the right time in your life. I'm not being snarky when I say look into something like this, a stuffed animal. I have a dog, she is like a toddler and follows me everywhere. I love her, but it's MY dog. A few Christmas ago dh bought me the stuffed wolf. I love it. It sits on my bed. I use it for a bed pillow, it's very realistic looking. Ds and I drag her to class and the real dog gets jealous. We named her and everything. I have a cat and a dog and I'm a middle aged woman, yet I love my stuffed wolf.

Lol, we actually used to have a cool stuffed dog very similar to that. It was a gift to my oldest when she was about 3 or 4. She had been begging for a dog so someone gave her a very realistic stuffed dog for her birthday. I wonder what happened to that guy? I'll have to hunt around the cellar for it and give it to dh. :tongue_smilie:

No.

I never considered that, but it makes sense. I'm definitely going to have to do some research about dog breeds. Dh wants a "man's dog" but my kids and I would possibly prefer a smaller dog. I would like to find one that is not quite as high energy as our last dog. He was a lab/gordon setter mix and just bounced off the walls all the time. If I can hold dh off long enough, I'm thinking when my youngest is about 5 it will be about time for a new dog. That'll make my eldest about 16, and the twins around 13. Hopefully they'll all be much better helpers then.

I never considered that, but it makes sense. I'm definitely going to have to do some research about dog breeds. Dh wants a "man's dog" but my kids and I would possibly prefer a smaller dog. I would like to find one that is not quite as high energy as our last dog. He was a lab/gordon setter mix and just bounced off the walls all the time. If I can hold dh off long enough, I'm thinking when my youngest is about 5 it will be about time for a new dog. That'll make my eldest about 16, and the twins around 13. Hopefully they'll all be much better helpers then.

some of the small ones are bounce off the wall types that are fairly high maintenance. Some rather large ones are big door mats of love....Personally, I like bigger dogs for kids. The dog is less likely to get hurt. My favorite (and most accurate on breed traits that I have found) is

The Right Dog For You by Daniel F. Tortora

Again-also think long and hard about your circumstances even then. If you are unlikely to work with the dog-even if you have more time and older kids-it is still a bad time to get a dog even if everyone else wants one. As my oldest gets older-we get bussier and run around more than when she was younger-I have no more time now than before. OTOH, I am a very motivated dog owner. From your posts, it seems to me you like the idea of a dog, feel guilty for your family missing your old dog, but maybe not be that interested in putting in the work yourself due to your personality.....not everyone is meant to be a dog owner.

No.

I am an obedience isntructor and know quite a few, as well as a temperment tester that also does rescue. I do agree that you may have issues that can be harder to deal with than preventing them in the first place with a puppy. I also agree that there are some that are just damaged too much for an owner that is not too saavy or that basically suffer from mental/physical problems that make them not suitable for adoption (RAGE syndrome comes to mind). I do not think that overall shelter dogs are lost cases. Many, if not most, have minor social problems such as jumping up and such that are easily corrected. OTOH, I have also seen dogs people purchased as puppies that were royally screwed up. Temperment is part training and part genetics. No matter where you get your dog-you need to be an informed consumer-finding a type of dog that fits your lifestyle, knowing how to read dog body language, knowing what questions to ask about the dog's temperment and habits, and knowing your limitations as an owner (including knowing if owning a dog is a good idea for you at all). The difference in your experience, that of your trainer and mine may be motivation. A motivated owner that is willing to work a LOT will get a lot farther than one that wants the trainer to solve their problems without putting a lot of hard work in themselves. I also think sometimes people forget that dogs are dogs and you cannot expect to do with them what you will and that they will never screw up. For instance, I have known people that think it is ok to let their kids basically abuse a dog-sit on it, whack it, poke it....and then get angry when the dog growls...uh-if they did it to me I would growl. Know that I am not saying the dog should be allowed to act like that, but that goes both ways-do not expect the dog to behave like anything other than a dog either.

BTW I am the proud owner (and past owner) of 4 rescue dogs-one still living. All were quirky in their own way, all were great family dogs, 2 were dump off dogs-didn't even get to pick at the shelter, 1 was a shelter dog and all became registered therapy dogs. Many of my therapy dog friends in my old kennel club (before I moved) were also rescues-from the shelter, streets or rescue groups.

Wow, my kids would never do that to a fish!

My kids were very young and they did not understand that their behavior could hurt the fish and I did not anticipate it. They soon learned. I was a good goldfish owner and the fish did not die. It felt like we had the fish for a very long time, to me, before they went to a new home with an owner who appreciated them. I do not like fish either as pets or as food.

If I had live lobsters, I would cook them and eat them. They are my absolute favorite food.

Edited by RoughCollie

The difference in your experience, that of your trainer and mine may be motivation. A motivated owner that is willing to work a LOT will get a lot farther than one that wants the trainer to solve their problems without putting a lot of hard work in themselves

You assume a lot.

I have a male Dobie that will not cross a threshold if I tell him no. Who wouldn't think of taking food if he wasn't allowed. We've had him since he was a baby.

The Dog I took in for classes would not even submit. It wasn't that I wanted a magic bullet and thought a trainer could train the dog for me--it was a last ditch effort to change unacceptable behavior.

The other dog I adopted ended up biting everyone that came into my house. But it was sweet and adorable for the first few months. Then it jumped out a second story window onto a porch roof, then to the ground, ran into the back yard where the rabbit hutch had been left open, jumped in it and killed my rabbits.

I'll gladly pay the $ to buy a puppy and train it from the beginning.

Sounds good!

You assume a lot.

I didn't assume anything about you personally. I wasn't clear in the statement that you quoted. I did not word it well at all and can see how you misunderstood. I shouldn't have lumped them together....sigh. :001_smile:My intention was that you may not have gotten good matches at the shelter, but that your bad experiences are not necessarily the rule and that your trainer may train in such a way, or tend to have inexperienced clients....that make his/her experience different. I also did not talk to the trainer personally. Was the person saying almost all shelter dogs are whackos that can't be trained or that some dogs are so scarred that there are things that can't easily be worked out by the average owner. I couldn't figure that out well.

in my pp I said that some dogs may be too damaged for the vast majority of owners to deal with-but that is not necessarily true for the majority of rescued dogs. My general point was that your experience and that of your trainer may not be the same overall as mine and that of most of my trainer friends. For instance, I do know one that would take dogs to her place for a few weeks and train before sending the dog home-sure the dogs would work great for her-but not the owner unless the owner put in a lot of work too. Because she is willing to train the dogs at home and then hand them over-she tends to get some clients that do want her to just solve their problems. In my obedience classes, people were often surprised with how much work they had to do to have the results they wanted. Also not all training methods will work with all dogs-some trainers are a one type of training only folks-dogs that don't respond to that may not learn well....

I have a male Dobie that will not cross a threshold if I tell him no. Who wouldn't think of taking food if he wasn't allowed. We've had him since he was a baby.

I know a lot of rescue/shelter dogs that will do those things too-mine included..The food thing can be a challenge at times since the baby holds it over the edge of the high chair and calls for him....definitely not the dog's fault;)

The Dog I took in for classes would not even submit. It wasn't that I wanted a magic bullet and thought a trainer could train the dog for me--it was a last ditch effort to change unacceptable behavior.

I've had puppies in puppy kindergarten like that-not just a rescue/shelter problem.

The other dog I adopted ended up biting everyone that came into my house. But it was sweet and adorable for the first few months. Then it jumped out a second story window onto a porch roof, then to the ground, ran into the back yard where the rabbit hutch had been left open, jumped in it and killed my rabbits.

I have known many problem dogs raised from puppies. One in a class I was helping with put an old man in the hospital. that owner sure turned things around with that dog and made sure he properly trained and socialzed his next dog to prevent the problem. Worst bite I ever got (through my hand) was in a puppy kindergarten class-that little stinker.

My old fart would about do anything to kill bunnies-not because he is a rescue-but he is a pretty normal German Shorthaired Pointer with a decent prey drive that wasn't raised with them from when he was little. He will think nothing of murdering my chickens as well-stares out the window at them for hours. That is why we have a fenced yard-to keep him in and other critters out. I would hardly call a dog that would kill a rabbit-especially if not raised with it from young abnormal in any way-they are predators and that would be a normal prey animal for them.

I'll gladly pay the $ to buy a puppy and train it from the beginning

Me too-depending on what I wanted it for. Right now I am not in a position to train any kind of working or competition dog so a rescue would suit me fine-I am willing to work with some quirks and take the risk of genetic health issues. If I want a competition dog of any kind or a working dog-then I would likely buy one for the health screenings and depending on the job/competition the working ability. What good would it do to get a collie to herd from a shelter that doesn't come from working stock. Even then, I might consider a rescue group that does herding instinct testing.

I also have no problem with folks buying a dog from a reputable breeder. I have a lot of respect for people that work to build better dogs in their breed and consider several friends.

I have never, ever gotten an adoption dog that was a good fit. Ever. I have done the shelter route, and I will never, ever again. The dogs have bad habits from not being trained as puppies that sometimes, no matter how much training you give them, never goes away. And that's from the mouth of a very reputable trainer (i had brought my adopted dog in for training).

I have 2 dogs currently: a shelter dog, and an adopted-as-a-puppy-from-a-breeder purebred dog. The shelter dog is much more eager to please, more intelligent, more trainable and much more trustworthy around small helpless creatures. My purebred dog beheaded a baby dove we were raising last year and would just as soon kill an orphan kitten as look at it. The shelter dog will mother both of them. There is a lot more that goes into it than just where you get them. And I worked with the purebred dog a lot! We had 6 rounds of obedience classes and 3 years of doing agility. It took a full year of intensive training just to get him housetrained. He's not a "bad" dog but his nature is just different from our shelter mix dog.

Of course, shelters are full of other people's cast-off dogs, so you do increase the odds of finding a dog that has issues.