Menu

Life of Pi quandry

What should I do with my perfectly good copy of Life of Pi  

1. 1. What should I do with my perfectly good copy of Life of Pi

• Give it away
    • Cut out the last chapter and pretend it never happened
    • I thought that bookwas about finding the radius of a circle why is that traumatizing?
    • I have no opinion but I like answering polls

:iagree:

I'd rather throw it in the trash than pass it to someone else. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did with my copy. It's one of two books that I didn't feel right about sharing with anyone. I'm trying to remember the name of the other book that should never be read.

Edited by rwjx2khsmj

I feel the same way you did. The cover art is one of my favorites. I felt like the book crushed my soul. It was hard, so hard, for me to get over that book. (BTW, even though I personally had a hard time w/ that book, I would not throw it in the trash. It's a lovely book in many ways. Beautiful & haunting. And, some find the whole thing wonderful. Pass it on to someone else who wants to try it for him/herself or who already knows they love it.)

I say keep a digital copy of just the book cover (so you can still look at/appreciate the cover art; do a search on google images), but give away the copy of your book.

Edited by Stacia

I just read the description (was not familiar with the book) and I vote for passing it on to someone else. Paperback Swap, library donation, something.

Trashing it because you feel it's not something you would read feels a bit like censorship to me. Why prevent someone else reading it, and possibly enjoying it, just because you didn't like it?

Keep it or pass it on; don't throw it away.

i never read that one. Now, after reading this thread, I'm afraid to.

Be afraid.

If you approach it expecting a whimsical story then you are going to be traumatized. If you approach it as a survival through terrible, horrific, beyond all imaginings tragedy then you might be ok.

It isn't that it is "deep" it is that it is like a baseball bat to the head out of nowhere. Up until the end you think you read a charming book.

I wouldn't throw a book away, I am sure I can find someone to give it to. :)

Edited by Sis

I got 1/4 of the way into that book and couldn't read any more. I don't know what it was because I very rarely leave a book unfinished.

I picked it up because my friend said it was a wonderful read and she couldn't believe I hadn't read it yet. I borrowed my copy from the library.

If I were you, I'd sell it or give it away.

Be afraid.

If you approach it expecting a whimsical story then you are going to be traumatized. If you approach it as a survival through terrible, horrific, beyond all imaginings tragedy then you might be ok.

It isn't that it is "deep" it is that it is like a baseball bat to the head out of nowhere. Up until the end you think you read a charming book.

I wouldn't throw a book away, I am sure I can find someone to give it to. :)

What, it isn't given away that something's afoot when you hit floating meerkat island? :tongue_smilie:And the tri-religion theme? Maybe it was easier to see it coming reading it in literary criticism class, where reading between the lines & examining all the tiny referenced clues is the name of the game.

I choose to believe the book, not the last chapter-optional-analysis by the psychiatrists of what could have "really" happened, because they are trapped in their rational world.

The true story is what you decide it to be. Is it a grand adventure, or is it a horrible tragedy? That's kind of the point of the book. That's life: grand adventure or horrible tragedy? I choose the former.

I loved the book. Give it away.

i never read that one. Now, after reading this thread, I'm afraid to.

Don't be afraid of it.

Parts of it were wonderful, really wonderful. The main part of the story is of Pi surviving at sea in a lifeboat, along w/ a tiger. Right there, you know it will be a wrenching, horrific situation for him -- surviving a ship wreck that killed most everyone (and everything thing, as in animals) else, having to survive in a small lifeboat in the middle of the ocean, floating for weeks/months w/ no supplies, no hope of being found, etc..., all while contending w/ a tiger. I didn't find the ending a surprise as it was foreshadowed. However, the heartbreaking scenarios in the book just crushed me. *I*, personally, felt destroyed after reading it. However, I know there are many who have & will like it, even love it. Martel is a talented writer; his story was just too soul-wrenching for me.

Okay, I'm a cheater. I could bare it no longer. I went on Sparksnotes to read the summary and analysis of this famous "last chapter".

:crying:

Can I vote for living in denial and pretending he made up the second story?

lisa

I think that's a completely legitimate reading of the novel. In fact, I would argue that denying that possibility misses the entire point of the novel. does that make it any less traumatizing? I'm usually fairly easily traumatized, and I loved Life of Pi.

I have never read the novel but I have read extensive summeries, reviews, and analysises and I never got the feeling that the second story was definitively the correct one. As a matter of fact, I always got the feeling that it was the made up one. Is that not correct? Or is it just the possibility that it is true that is so horrifying?

I loved that book and am very sad that I missed getting my copy signed when Yan Martel was in town for a reading two weeks ago. :( I am also in the midst of a decluttering frenzy and tackled books today. Anything that we didn't love, plan to reread, or use for school or work was boxed up to donate to Goodwill (our library is not accepting donations right now) or church. Give it away. Maybe someone else will get pleasure out of reading it.