Menu

Brussel sprouts lovers

If you had just a handful of brussel sprouts and wanted to see if you like them, how would you cook them?

Last fall, a gardener friend gave us some free fall/winter garden starts. I took one brussel sprouts start. Lo and behold, I've got brussel sprouts! Just a handful.

I know I could Google, but I've only got a handful, so I'm looking for something simple and (hopefully?) yummy. That way we'll know if we want to say "More, please!" or "No, thanks," next fall.

Thanks! :)

Cat

Yummy!!!! I quarter them, mix with olive oil, salt, and minced garlic. Roast them on 350 for a little while - 10 minutes maybe? (I just watch them) Yummy!

Two of my kids actually prefer them raw (after they're mixed with the oil and garlic).

:iagree:

I love them anyway they come, but some variation on the above is easy and delicious (and most likely to appeal to newbies). Just make sure they brown a little (not burn). 10 minutes seems like too little. Go by sight and smell and you will have something very yummy.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I love them anyway they come, but some variation on the above is easy and delicious (and most likely to appeal to newbies). Just make sure they brown a little (not burn). 10 minutes seems like too little. Go by sight and smell and you will have something very yummy.

Bill

However you choose to cook them, cut off the stems & then cut an 'x' shape across the base (where the stem was). This helps them cook evenly (rather than the outer leaves cooking/being done faster).

Yum! We love Brussel Sprouts in our house.

Yummy!!!! I quarter them, mix with olive oil, salt, and minced garlic. Roast them on 350 for a little while - 10 minutes maybe? (I just watch them) Yummy!

Two of my kids actually prefer them raw (after they're mixed with the oil and garlic).

A family favorite. Even my two pickiest kids love them this way! In fact, I don't think I got any the last time I cooked them.

Lisa

My sister shreds and then sautés them in butter and olive oil. She serves them with bacon that has been fried crisp and chopped. They are universally loved even by those who don't like Brussels sprouts. (I do like Brussels sprouts but add bacon and I could love just about anything!)

Regards,

Kareni

:iagree:I also add a bit of pepper, too, and roast for a while longer until they are pretty soft and "melty". Oh.my.word. :drool5: I am pregnant, and this, oddly enough, has been a huge craving for me! I ask my husband to buy me a good sized bag of them when he goes grocery shopping. (I really want some now...)

This is easy for a small batch of brussel sprouts- put a little butter and/or oil in a skillet and brown the halved or quartered brussels sprouts. Then as about 1/4 cup of water and cover for about 10 minutes until thoroughly cooked. Finish salt, pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar. You can do them alone or along with another vegetable - onion or carrots.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I saute some garlic in butter and then add the brussels sprouts, lowering the heat, covering them, and letting them simmer until they're just slightly browned; then I sprinkle them with a bit of sea salt. (If they're large, I cut them in half before cooking them.)

My 6yo LOVES these and when asked what he wanted for his birthday dinner a few weeks ago, replied, "Brussels sprouts!" immediately.

Bill

This is how we eat them! DS says they are better than any kind of chip!

If you had just a handful of brussel sprouts and wanted to see if you like them, how would you cook them?

Last fall, a gardener friend gave us some free fall/winter garden starts. I took one brussel sprouts start. Lo and behold, I've got brussel sprouts! Just a handful.

I know I could Google, but I've only got a handful, so I'm looking for something simple and (hopefully?) yummy. That way we'll know if we want to say "More, please!" or "No, thanks," next fall.

Cat

Boil till tender. Drain, add butter, and salt to liking.

Cat

Gordon Ramsay has several recipes for brussel sprouts on the BBC which are delicious! www.bbcgoodfood.com :)