Menu

Question for those with long hair . . .

If your hair is waist length or longer, how do you wear it from day to day?

I wear mine in a twisted bun with a "chopstick" :lol: (actually a twisty-carved piece of cherry wood in it) holding it up. I've worn it more or less like this for most of the last 14 years or so. :tongue_smilie: Dh is getting a bit tired of it. Any other ideas that work with small children and slightly poufy long hair?

Mama Anna

When I had very long hair I wore it in a bun like that, or in a bun with one of the little metal net thingies, or braided. Or sometimes braided and wrapped into a bun. Of course, when I had ds I chopped it. It has been chin length since he started sitting up and grabbing. That was about 7 years ago. :D

I usually wear mine in a pony tail because my Autistic son loves to come up behind me and smell my hair. :001_wub: I usually wear it that way for him. Other times, I twist it up in a bun. If it's not hot where you live, you can wear it down and just use barrettes to keep it out of your face. I used to wear my hair like that before I had kids. :)

I keep the back long, it's waist length now, and the front short in bangs. I usually throw the back into a pony tail. If I am going to be out in the wind or doing something physical, I'll put 2-3 pony tail holders along it in a lazy braid. Once in a great while, I'll braid it. I hate wearing it up, it always gives me a headache.

I wear mine straight, down. It's very heavy, so I get headaches if I wear it up for too long. On hot days or when I swim, I'll french braid it. I pull it back in a clip when I work (outside of the house, around food) but can only stand that for a few hours before my head starts to hurt.

My daughter has such fine, thin hair; it's the complete opposite of mine and I have no clue what to do with it so I keep it in a short bob. It's silly, but I grieved the loss of my lifelong ... not dream, just ... belief I guess ... that I'd have a daughter with thick, long hair that I could play with.

Mine is about to my waist now. I had it layered, so the weight wouldn't be unbearable. During the day I have it in a twist held together with a hair clip. I try to do something with it whenever I can. Flat iron, large curls, flip the bottom with a barrel brush, etc.

I promised I would spend a little more time on myself, so I am doing this at least 3 times a week. During the summer I think I may try some cute updos and braids. It seemed daunting at first, but now I am able to get a cute hair-do going in about 15 minutes. I figure, why have my hair so long if i am just going to hide it.;)

Danielle

I mostly keep it in a bun with the Bengali knot (twist it around, then bring the first twist over the others and it stays forever, no stick or rubber band needed). I braid it when I have time, and the braid often gets tied into a bun. On funky days, I make two buns on the sides kind of like Princess Leah. On special days, I part it down the middle and make two braids, then cross them around my head like a crown...very princess like!

If your hair is waist length or longer, how do you wear it from day to day?

I wear mine in a twisted bun with a "chopstick" :lol: (actually a twisty-carved piece of cherry wood in it) holding it up. I've worn it more or less like this for most of the last 14 years or so. :tongue_smilie: Dh is getting a bit tired of it. Any other ideas that work with small children and slightly poufy long hair?

Mama Anna

When mine was long, I would usually wear it in a very loose ponytail (elastic or scrunchie down at the base of my neck). Or, I'd french braid it "up side down", with the braid showing on top, or perhaps a regular french braid. Or, I'd hold the front up on top of my head with a barrette. I had bangs. Do you have bangs?

mine is almost to the bottom of my bottom. I wear it braided , sometimes I have a reverse braid, sometimes I have a clip holding the front back, ant eh rt rest in a long plat, very rarely I wear it loose.It is very fine and gets tangled easily if it is loose. If I am feeling creative, I wear it in two braids wound around sort of Swiss style.

My hair is long with slight layers and bangs in front. It is very thick so I will get a headache if it's worn up for very long. I'm also very low-maintenance. I won't spend a bunch of time doing my hair so I usually have it all down, down with the top pulled back with a barrette or hair tie, pulled back into a low ponytail or in a single braid down my back.

If it's really hot, I pull the top back with a large (for thick hair) barrette, then I take the rest of my hair, twist it, bring it up to the barrette, put a scrunchy over the hair and around the ends of the barrette to hold it in place and then spread the hair out to either side loosely wrapping it around the barrette. It kind of looks like a messy bun but it holds much more securely.

Do you have bangs?

No, I don't. My hair is pretty thick (A really tight ponytail is about the size of a quarter in diameter), slightly wavy (just enough to become really fluffy and tangled when I wear it down but not enough to look nice and wavy), and down to a couple inches past tail-bone length.

I can do a french braid pretty easily, but it looks unbalanced with the braided tail hanging so far below my head. When I try tucking it up under, well . . . it sort of looks like my head is waaaay overbalanced toward the back. (Some type of Ancient Assyrian helmet or something, you know?)

I can do a ponytail, braid it, and wind it into a bun on the top of my head. But the pressure from the ponytail and the pins holding it up hurt after awhile.

I can do a weird coronet-type thing where I pull the front back with a barrette, braid the back with a slight slant off toward the right, and then bring the braid up, around, and over the barrette in a circle. The end can tuck under the beginning, and everything gets pinned wth about 6 hairpins. But it's loose and apt to start coming down when I need to dart across the parking lot after my toddler, and I can't simply wind it back up and set it again in what I believe is the "Bengali knot" that Devotional Soul mentioned. Which is what I inevitably wear.

I've even tried high braided pigtails at my dd's request. I couldn't stand having the braids rubbing against stuff and ended up pinning them in a sort of figure eight around and between the two ponytail holders. Dh came home and told me it was a very creditable Minnie Mouse impression. :lol:

I long for several quick, secure, attractive options. I really appreciate the links that you've all contributed. I'll check them out when I can be online longer (t-storms in the area and we're not wireless).

If it's really hot, I pull the top back with a large (for thick hair) barrette, then I take the rest of my hair, twist it, bring it up to the barrette, put a scrunchy over the hair and around the ends of the barrette to hold it in place and then spread the hair out to either side loosely wrapping it around the barrette. It kind of looks like a messy bun but it holds much more securely.

Wish I could get a picture!

Thanks, all!

Mama Anna

I don't wear my hair long anymore, but my DD has waist-length hair, and hairgamis are my friend-they make it easy to do a lot of different kinds of updos quickly.

On the Minnie Mouse thing-one of my favorite ways to wear my hair when I was younger was in two buns-which I thought looked like Princess Leia. Looking at old pictures...Minnie Mouse was a closer fit. I will admit that my DD is cute that way, though.

Edited by Dmmetler2