Menu

What's the best edible something you have ever had and where did you have it?

Please share your favorite meal, snack, or drink anywhere in the world - NOT SOMETHING YOU COOKED OR HAD AT SOMEONE'S HOME - choose something you had at a restaurant, cafe, snack bar, coffee shop, diner, whatever and tell us:

what it was

why it was delicious

the name and location of the place serving it

what it cost

if you have tried to re-create it at home

I'll share one:

Most delicious ice cream in the world: Bertillon in Paris! (ile St. Louis)

We tried every flavor. Pistachio was my favorite. The flavors are so TRUE and the texture so creamy. Cost maybe 3-4 euro. I do not try to make it at home because I would fail miserably and eat all of my high-calorie experiments. :tongue_smilie:

what it was - It was a very simple Insalata Caprese, but OHHHHHHH it was good.

why it was delicious - I have no idea what sort of dressing they put on it (I'm sure it was made in-house), and I'm guessing they made their own cheese or had it shipped in VERY fresh, but it had the best flavor in a Caprese ever.

the name and location of the place serving it - Mahogany Restaurant, Tulsa, OK

what it cost - Honestly I don't remember and don't want to think about it. Let's put it this way: We had a $250 gift card from a sales coworker of my husband, and we spent every penny on one dinner. Yeah. I won't be having this again, probably ever.

if you have tried to re-create it at home - I cannot recreate it. The cheese was too fresh and had such a good flavor, and I don't know what exactly was in the dressing. *sigh*

Bacon wrapped dates in a sweet red pepper sauce (Datiles con Tocino).

The sweetness of the dates, plus the saltiness of the bacon and the tang of the red peppers was a delicious, rich combination. This was one of my favorite tapas at a local Spanish restaurant - Meson Sabika. I don't remember what it cost - perhaps $6 or $7 for the plate (these are appetizer servings.) Unfortunately, the restaurant was sold and they got rid of a few of my favorite dishes so we don't go there anymore. Not worth the money if you are not just dying with delight at every bite. As far as making it at home, I haven't tried a red pepper sauce - too time intensive, plus probably lots of waste to get just the right consistency. However, I do make a bacon-wrapped date dish and use Tastefully Simple's Honey Teriyaki and it is simply delish as well. I get requests to make it every Christmas.

I ate twin tenderloins of certified Angus Beef sautĂƒÂ©ed, mushrooms, vegetables and bĂƒÂ©arnaise sauce at L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls, VA on my wedding day.

It was melt-in-your-mouth tender and the sauce was indescribable. I had never eaten at a French restaurant before and had no idea food could taste so amazing.

It was expensive - not sure of the exact cost - about $40.

Have not tried to recreate it - can't afford to mess up an expensive cut of beef.:D

Pesto pasta in a little restaurant in Waikiki. Yes, of all the wonderful seafood we had I remember the pasta. :lol: Have recreated it many times and makes me think of Hawaii. It was a trip I took with dh. He earned a weeks stay in Hawaii as a sales promotion and our parents chipped in and gave us a few extra days because it was near our anniversary.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken made by Miss Zel (an elderly Jamaican lady taking care of we teens on a mission trip to the town of Devon, Manchester area). She served it with rice and what she did to the rice, I do not know but the whole thing was a divine, taste sensation.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
grammar

what it was: Lump crab cakes

why it was delicious: No bread fillers, just full body crab taste

the name and location of the place serving it: Stoney River, Nashville

Favorite:

what it cost: Around $30

if you have tried to re-create it at home: No way

Second favorite:

what it was: Baked Potato Pizza

why it was delicious: oozing with warming flavor

the name and location of the place serving it: Partners Pizza, Peachtree City, GA

what it cost: $15-20

if you have tried to re-create it at home: Husband tried, as we've moved away, and I can't find it anywhere. He wasn't successful.

Pesto pasta in a little restaurant in Waikiki. Yes, of all the wonderful seafood we had I remember the pasta. :lol: Have recreated it many times and makes me think of Hawaii. It was a trip I took with dh. He earned a weeks stay in Hawaii as a sales promotion and our parents chipped in and gave us a few extra days because it was near our anniversary.

Recipe? Pretty please?

I have a few, but I have not tried to re-create them at home. I'm hard pressed because we ate a LOT of really delicious things when we lived in Europe. I'm leaving a lot out:

what it was

crab and macadamia nut wontons

why it was delicious

Hello? Crab AND macadamia nuts? YUM!

Hula Grill in Waikiki

what it cost

$10 (but that's just the appetizer, you should also have the pineapple creme brulee)

what it was

a fixed menu dinner with abalone, tiger prawns, crabcakes w/ mango sauce, ahi katsu, beef wellington, taro mashed potatoes, green tea creme brulee

why it was delicious

Everything goes together perfectly, you get so many little bites of deliciousness.

Chai's Island Bistro in Waikiki

what it cost

around $100/person

what it was

steak with garlic butter

why it was delicious

the steak just melted in your mouth, the garlic butter added so much flavor

Marco's in Bad Kreuznach, Germany (but that was not the real name, that's just what everyone calls it, I don't remember the real name)

what it cost

around $10

what it was

anything in France

why it was delicious

just beautiful food

I have a few, but I have not tried to re-create them at home. I'm hard pressed because we ate a LOT of really delicious things when we lived in Europe. I'm leaving a lot out:

what it was

crab and macadamia nut wontons

why it was delicious

Hello? Crab AND macadamia nuts? YUM!

Hula Grill in Waikiki

what it cost

$10 (but that's just the appetizer, you should also have the pineapple creme brulee)

what it was

a fixed menu dinner with abalone, tiger prawns, crabcakes w/ mango sauce, ahi katsu, beef wellington, taro mashed potatoes, green tea creme brulee

why it was delicious

Everything goes together perfectly, you get so many little bites of deliciousness.

Chai's Island Bistro in Waikiki

what it cost

around $100/person

what it was

steak with garlic butter

why it was delicious

the steak just melted in your mouth, the garlic butter added so much flavor

Marco's in Bad Kreuznach, Germany (but that was not the real name, that's just what everyone calls it, I don't remember the real name)

what it cost

around $10

what it was

anything in France

why it was delicious

just beautiful food

This all sounds wonderful - now I'm hungry.

"around $100/person" :svengo:

Was it a very, very special occasion???

One of my favorite meals of all time was a plate of grilled vegetables at the Big Sky Cafe in San Luis Obispo, CA.

My husband was doing some work in San Francisco so my son and I flew out to hang out with him for a bit. In the course of our stay, my son and I took a vacation from our vacation; that is, we took the wonderful Amtrak Coast Starlight from Oakland down to San Luis Obispo where we stayed at a little B&B. It was the first time my son had taken a train, the day was gorgeous and then I was presented with perfectly grilled seasonal veggies and a glass of Alsatian Gewurtztraminer produced just down the road. Lovely!

Since then I have had many a plate of grilled veggies accompanied by Gerwurtz at home, but nothing could compete with the Big Sky Cafe--probably because my son and I were on an adventure which added to the pleasure.

One of my favorite meals of all time was a plate of grilled vegetables at the Big Sky Cafe in San Luis Obispo, CA.

My husband was doing some work in San Francisco so my son and I flew out to hang out with him for a bit. In the course of our stay, my son and I took a vacation from our vacation; that is, we took the wonderful Amtrak Coast Starlight from Oakland down to San Luis Obispo where we stayed at a little B&B. It was the first time my son had taken a train, the day was gorgeous and then I was presented with perfectly grilled seasonal veggies and a glass of Alsatian Gewurtztraminer produced just down the road. Lovely!

Since then I have had many a plate of grilled veggies accompanied by Gerwurtz at home, but nothing could compete with the Big Sky Cafe--probably because my son and I were on an adventure which added to the pleasure.

Lovely story. :)

Close call.

1) Some sort of fish eggs (possibly salmon but they were light colored) floating in some sort of fluid (that I'm sure had a hint of Yuzu citron juice) in a Kanseki restaurant in Tokyo where I was part of a film crew that was being "hosted" by our Japanese sponsor. If I had seen the bill (I did not) I'm sure I would have had a heart-attack.

2) Musk-Ox tenderloin (rare) in a bayside restaurant in Vancouver BC. Yum!

Bill

If I had seen the bill (I did not) I'm sure I would have had a heart-attack.

I've been to a few business dinners like that, although those have diminished in the past few years.... dh told me he saw the bar tab on one of the dinners. It was around $500, for our party of 8. Most of it was for the bottles of wine. Can't even imagine how much the actual dinner cost.

:tongue_smilie:

I've been to a few business dinners like that, although those have diminished in the past few years.... dh told me he saw the bar tab on one of the dinners. It was around $500, for our party of 8. Most of it was for the bottles of wine. Can't even imagine how much the actual dinner cost.

I did have some pretty yummy Korean-style tacos the other day off the Kogi Truck for about $2 :D

Gourmet(ish) food trucks (roach coaches) are the current rage in LA. Many of the "hot" ones evidenty have Twitter feeds so their fans can follow them around the city :lol:

Korean-Mexican, only in LA

Bill

what it was: French onion soup and ice cream trifle (seperate courses, of course)

why it was delicious: Why wasn't it? Perfect in every way. Indescribably perfect.

the name and location of the place serving it: Cincinnati, Ohio at an old house turned restaurant. I forget the name! I'll have to ask my Dad.

what it cost; I didn't pay. ;)

if you have tried to re-create it at home: I make fantastic French onion soup, but not quite there. The trifle I have re-created. I am working on perfecting it.

I did have some pretty yummy Korean-style tacos the other day off the Kogi Truck for about $2 :D

Gourmet(ish) food trucks (roach coaches) are the current rage in LA. Many of the "hot" ones evidenty have Twitter feeds so their fans can follow them around the city :lol:

Korean-Mexican, only in LA

Bill

Bill,

Right now I would settle for authentic Mexican anything. Just sayin, havent found a good Mexican restaurant yet, I wonder why.

Big Truck Tacos out of Oklahoma City is similar. Their fried avocado tacos are to die for! And also very cheap. They have over 13,000 facebook fans! They release their location on facebook and twitter. During the Great Food Truck Race on the Food Network they were named America's favorite food truck. :)

Ten years ago I visited my sister in Honduras after she miscarried, and we escaped over a long weekend to a remote beach, just the two of us, no clue where we were. Found a little tour company who took us on a boat ride on which we were chased by dolphins, and then dropped us off to hike through a jungly area where we tried not to freak out at the panthers' roars. On the way back, they shored at a little village where they made us some sort of fish baked over coals. It was sweet and flaky and burned our tongues in just the right way. I've never eaten anything so good in all my life.

But then, maybe it wasn't just the fish.

Bill,

Right now I would settle for authentic Mexican anything. Just sayin, havent found a good Mexican restaurant yet, I wonder why.

I never found a decent Mexican restaurant when we lived in Virginia. BUT, we had a great one in Germany!! How crazy is that!? The owner was retired military from San Antonio, his wife was German. :)

Essentially EVERYTHING on the menu at this restaurant: http://www.louisianapurchasefoodandspirits.com/files/39267706.pdf

It is really expensive...especially if you have wine with dinner, an entree, appetizers, and deserts. Generally dh and I can go for one dinner and spend just under $160 including tip.

My particular favorites are:

The Exotic Greens Salad -

CharlottesĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Greenhouse variety of greens, housemade Boursin cheese

wrapped with crispy Kataifi dough, roasted mixed nuts and a walnut vinaigrette.

FILET Pan-seared tenderloin with Lyonnaise potatoes, organic spinach, demi-glace and port reduction.

PLAT DU FROMAGE Aselection of four cheeses from various world regions with nuts, dried and fresh fruits.

Big Truck Tacos out of Oklahoma City is similar. Their fried avocado tacos are to die for! And also very cheap. They have over 13,000 facebook fans! They release their location on facebook and twitter. During the Great Food Truck Race on the Food Network they were named America's favorite food truck. :)

Did you ever eat out of the back of the couple's car-trunk on the main road heading North several miles after Hanauma Bay on the Windward-side? These folks sold some sort of Portuguese delectables that somewhat resembled tamales. To die for!!!

Poke! I was in pig-heaven eating Poke in Hawaii. What forsaken land were you shipped to? :D

Bill

Did you ever eat out of the back of the couple's car-trunk on the main road heading North several miles after Hanauma Bay on the Windward-side? These folks sold some sort of Portuguese delectables that somewhat resembled tamales. To die for!!!

Probably, lol. We ate at a lot of places like that. Our visitors were either extremely dubious about eating out of a food truck/car or they were all "take me to the food trucks!" I'm pretty brave, but I have an iron stomach and they know it. :D

Poke! I was in pig-heaven eating Poke in Hawaii. What forsaken land were you shipped to? :D

Bill

We are in North Carolina. :)

Probably, lol. We ate at a lot of places like that. Our visitors were either extremely dubious about eating out of a food truck/car or they were all "take me to the food trucks!" I'm pretty brave, but I have an iron stomach and they know it. :D

Our photo of the couple, their broken-down vehicle and us holding up the delicious tamale-like-things with broad smiles of gastronomic delight plastered on our faces was a prime souvenir of our trip to the island.

Where is that picture?

Hazing? :D

Bill

oooh that's really a hard question to answer. It's a toss up between my mother's palomilla steak with my grandma's black beans and rice or the arroz con pollo that my uncle made at my grandfather's funeral. Either way, it would be homecooking for me. I've never been to a restaurant yet that can beat home cooked Cuban food for yumminess. :D

Ok...my favorite thing to eat is at chili's...and it's really simple...I love the Texas Cheese Fries!! that's all I eat there, I love the melty cheese, spicy jalapeĂƒÂ±os, and crisp bacon on hot yummy fries...dipped in ranch :001_smile:

It's cheap too!

They're better at Eskimo Joe's. I will randomly get cravings and make my husband drive the hour to get there just for the cheese fries.

(On a side note, during one of these cravings, my son lost his tooth in an Eskimo Joe's peanut butter sandwich. He swallowed it, too. It was the first bite, and he just thought it was crunchy peanut butter :lol:)

Well I have two best food experiences, but one doesn't count under your requirements. :)

The one I had at a restaurant was a liquorice flavoured creme brulee served with rhubarb batons covered mint and a light sugar syrup. This was had at an upmarket pub in Daylesford (just in case Keptwoman wants to go and see if they still serve it- The Farmers Arms up at the Trentham end of town ;) ) I've no idea what it cost because dh was treating me, and I wouldn't conceive of trying to replicate it at home. Some things are sacred and should not be meddled with! I did give much praise to the host who no doubt passed it onto the chef. :)

That was a great place. The host was there to sell the food, so the more questions I asked about the menu, the happier we both got :D

Rosie

that is fort bragg country, my aunt lives there in fayetteville.

I ate twin tenderloins of certified Angus Beef sautĂƒÂ©ed, mushrooms, vegetables and bĂƒÂ©arnaise sauce at L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls, VA on my wedding day.

It was melt-in-your-mouth tender and the sauce was indescribable. I had never eaten at a French restaurant before and had no idea food could taste so amazing.

It was expensive - not sure of the exact cost - about $40.

Have not tried to recreate it - can't afford to mess up an expensive cut of beef.:D

Ohh, Chez Francois! ROCKS!! I grew up riding in Great Falls (lived in Reston). . . only been to Chez Francois a couple times, but man alive, every item there was pure heaven. NICE WEDDING reception location!! :)

what it was: Crabcakes

why it was delicious: All lump crab meat, no filler, broiled not fried so not tough on the outside, no sauces are added (I get so irritated by restaurants in the South that say they have MD crabcakes but they have filler and sauces. That's not a MD crabcake!!!!!!!!!)

the name and location of the place serving it: Michaels on York Rd in Timonium, MD

what it cost: Not sure, but if dh and I go there for dinner the total is about $100 including tip

if you have tried to re-create it at home: Oh yeah, if dh picks the crabs, I will make the crabcakes. He can pick them much faster than I.

We have an Asian restuarant that is one of our fancy favorite dinner places nearby. They make this amazing walnut shrimp entree that has a very sweet sauce and it's served on a bed of the basmati rice that is never anything but fluffy as air. I don't understand how rice can be under something but still fluffy, particularly something with sauce! The shrimp are always prepared utterly perfectly and they sort of "pop" in your mouth. Dinner there is around $300 with wine.

I had a crabcake in Boston at a restaurant with an industrial sounding name that reminds me of the crabcake LizzyBee is talking about. All crab meat and it wasn't cheap crab meat either. It was naturally buttery tasting both my DH and I almost wept. And then we ordered double appetizers. :D That was a pricy dinner too.

I make a tomato-mozzarella salad in the summer with fresh mozzarella I just made so it's still warm and gooey and fresh tomatoes and basil and oregano DD picks from the garden. We eat it until we get sick several times a week. As soon as those tomatoes turn pink, we are on them!

And our local dairy makes a peanut butter and chocolate ice cream that is to die for. The peanut butter is real, not that sweet and cloying fake stuff that's in the cheap stuff. And the ice cream is custard style and very, very chocolately.

Oh! The Boston restaurant is Legal Seafoods. Wow. That was fresh stuff!!

Darnit. Now I'm hungry.