Menu

Wal-mart re-usable shopping bags

I saw them a few days ago. They look just like the ones I got from my grocery store, Kroger. The material has been pretty durable thank goodness!

Funny thing though. Even though Kroger sells these bags, I get strange looks when I come in with them. It's like they are surprised to see me actually using them. Weird!

I saw them a few days ago. They look just like the ones I got from my grocery store, Kroger. The material has been pretty durable thank goodness!

Funny thing though. Even though Kroger sells these bags, I get strange looks when I come in with them. It's like they are surprised to see me actually using them. Weird!

The cashier was very friendly and eager to use them. I wondered how she would react, but she was cool with it.

Last week the local WalMart was giving away a free green one. I've seen the black ones for sale for some time now. Looked like 3 of them could fit into my Whole Foods bag :p I may be wrong, but at glance, it looked like the freebie green ones were actually a tad bigger ?? I dunno. But anyway...

Woohoo! Reusable bags.

Ya know what's funny though? The day we were there and received the freebie green bag...she gave it to us after the fact...not putting any of our stuff in there. So, she sent us on our way with 2 plastic bags of stuff and the empty reusable bag. :scratches head:

One step at a time, right? LMHO

Love mine!!!

I have a Whole Foods on and it is bigger, but it was more awkward for the checker at WM to load for me too.

I tried to take my stuff wihtout a bag last time, and the lady lectured me on my "evil plastic bag" comment about how those evil bags have kept my kids from having cross contamination between meats and veggies for years and i should keep using them. Gee, I wasn't even buying MEAT or VEGGIES that trip.

Anyway, love my bags!!!!

They've actually had them albeit with less enthusiasm selling before this month, since before the beginning of the year.

I work at Wal-mart and made a new year's resolution to not use any more disposable plastic shopping bags.

They're bigger than the ones I've seen at some of the chains (Frye's, which is Kroger elsewhere, for example), but I think they are smaller than the ones Whole Foods sells.

Thanks to several occasions of forgetting my bags and penalizing myself by buying more rather than giving in and using plastic, I have quite the collection now.

I think they're cute. "Paper? Plastic? Neither."

Yes, many cashiers are still COMPLETELY clueless about them. I see more people use them at the self-check, though I am downright bubbly in my enthusiasm on the rare occasion I get a customer using them. I'm fairly sure I'm the only cashier in the store (at least on 2nd and 3rd shift) who knows how to properly fill them.

I so need to get a job at TJ's or Whole Foods...

The cashier pointed to the little green fabric bags above the register and asked if I'd like to buy some to carry my groceries home. I burst out laughing and said, "You've got to be kidding!" Those silly bags weren't much bigger than an 8-1/2 x 11" sheet of paper. It would have taken 20 or more of them to carry home a week's groceries for our family of four.

I was so glad when we got our a couple of months ago. Until then no store in our town had cloth bags! I use them, but get varying degrees of looks from the cashiers. It took about 4 or 5 times of using them before a cashier was enthused about me using them.

They need to give lessons on how to pack them however. Everyone seems afraid to pack them full.

...those evil bags have kept my kids from having cross contamination between meats and veggies for years and i should keep using them...

I was wondering about that cross-contamination factor. How do you address it, if you use these bags and purchase meats along with other foods? I don't buy meats from Walmart so I don't worry about that, but do wonder if I should use the bags when and where I do buy meat. Are they washable so I can clean them for the next trip, or do you designate one as meat-only use? I don't let cashiers bag beef, poultry, pork or others meat together, so I'd have to have one bag for each. :001_huh: Babysitting the bagger as each thing is loaded (even if I put the potential contaminates in the throw away plastic bags) seems a bit overbearing and obsessive. I don't want to be known as the crazy-grocery-sorting lady :001_unsure: . Laundering them after each use has it's own environmental considerations, not to mention I don't want to add another load to wash. Thoughts?

The cashier was very friendly and eager to use them. I wondered how she would react, but she was cool with it.

My cashier started to put them in a plastic bag and I said, "you might as well use them, that's why I'm buying them." :lol:

YOu know also, I was doing the self checkout at Meijer (the kinds with less than 12 items, you can't put the bag on the bagging area because it weighs them. Even if you wait until you scan an item. It's annoying, I'll just use the conveyor self check out and my kids can bag stuff.

Kristine

I was wondering about that cross-contamination factor. How do you address it, if you use these bags and purchase meats along with other foods? I don't buy meats from Walmart so I don't worry about that, but do wonder if I should use the bags when and where I do buy meat. Are they washable so I can clean them for the next trip, or do you designate one as meat-only use? I don't let cashiers bag beef, poultry, pork or others meat together, so I'd have to have one bag for each. :001_huh: Babysitting the bagger as each thing is loaded (even if I put the potential contaminates in the throw away plastic bags) seems a bit overbearing and obsessive. I don't want to be known as the crazy-grocery-sorting lady :001_unsure: . Laundering them after each use has it's own environmental considerations, not to mention I don't want to add another load to wash. Thoughts?

Our meat department has plastic bags to stick meat in. I use those, but I use them no matter what types of bags they put my groceries in so that I don't cross-contaminate in my cart or anything. So, I'm still using fewer plastic bags.:tongue_smilie:

You can use produce bags as protection against cross-contamination. You just wrap your meat or veggies as you put them in the cart, and then you don't have to obsessively (or, in my case, as obsessively) hover over the cashier/bagger.

Also, as thrilled as I am that WM is selling reusable bags, check your thrift store.

I have about 30 large, nice, heavy canvas bags with long handles, and I didn't pay more than $0.50 for a one of them. Most of them were a quarter each.

(Okay, I paid $1 for an awesome, hand made, polka-dot lined patchwork bag, but that's our library bag. :))

I didn't get all the bags on one trip to the thrift store, but they all came from the same thrift store over a period of about 3 months, so probably about 5 visits.

Love my Walmart bags.:) I have been shopping at Price Rite and you have to buy your bags and bag your own groceries, so they get used every week. I pack them full and make ds carry most of them in. We live on the third floor.

I am a mean mom.:lol:

You can use produce bags as protection against cross-contamination. You just wrap your meat or veggies as you put them in the cart, and then you don't have to obsessively (or, in my case, as obsessively) hover over the cashier/bagger.

Thanks Mrs. Mungo and Leta. I've used the produce bags before, but the cashier just took them out of the bags to scan them, then threw away the bags. :confused::001_huh: I guess she was not properly trained. I'll it again and make sure the barcode can be seen either through the bag or right near the opening.

When I went to Trader Joes's, I had bags from Whole Foods and some of those giant bags from Lands End that I take for light things like chips, bread, etc. I bought a couple of Trader Joe bags because they were so pretty. I also have a cooler bag from Sam's with a zipper top.

Because I used my own bags, they entered me in a drawing for a shopping spree. I was sooo excited that a store actually rewards us for using our own bags. I just need to be sure and leave mine in the car.

Thanks Mrs. Mungo and Leta. I've used the produce bags before, but the cashier just took them out of the bags to scan them, then threw away the bags. :confused::001_huh: I guess she was not properly trained. I'll it again and make sure the barcode can be seen either through the bag or right near the opening.

WHAT!? That is nuts! I've never had one take the meat out of the bag to scan.

If I put 2 packages of chicken breasts in one bag I put them in back-to-back so that the checker can scan them both through the bag.

I was wondering about that cross-contamination factor. How do you address it, if you use these bags and purchase meats along with other foods? I don't buy meats from Walmart so I don't worry about that, but do wonder if I should use the bags when and where I do buy meat. ....snip..... Thoughts?

Our meat department has plastic bags to stick meat in. I use those, but I use them no matter what types of bags they put my groceries in so that I don't cross-contaminate in my cart or anything. So, I'm still using fewer plastic bags.:tongue_smilie:

This is what i do the few times i buy meat at WM/grocery store. There are a few plastic bags i'll have - the ones that i put meat and veggies in!

WHAT!? That is nuts! I've never had one take the meat out of the bag to scan.

If I put 2 packages of chicken breasts in one bag I put them in back-to-back so that the checker can scan them both through the bag.

Same here - have always just had them move it back out of the way, but never take it OUT. And, i'm sure i'll not be nice when/if someone tried that move.

All that said, i buy 99.9% of my meat at Costco, so it's rarely an issue. I have a bag i use for that since i live an hour away.

The first time i went to use them at WM they told me i had to bag them myself, so i went to do that the next time, happened to be in a front in supers line - she told me, "anyone says that to you again, ask for the MOD, we are supposed to bag it for you - and i'll remind them of that."

I have friends sending ones from a variety of places around the US :D

The cashier pointed to the little green fabric bags above the register and asked if I'd like to buy some to carry my groceries home. I burst out laughing and said, "You've got to be kidding!" Those silly bags weren't much bigger than an 8-1/2 x 11" sheet of paper. It would have taken 20 or more of them to carry home a week's groceries for our family of four.

In Germany, we had to pay for any plastic bags we got (we usually had to bag our own stuff too, but that's a different conversation). We had collapsable boxes that we could put our stuff into. Made it easy to store them and easy to transfer them to the car.

I bought bags from both Wal-mart and Meijer, and the Meijer bags are much sturdier for the same price! Heavier canvas, reinforced handles, nice little pocket on the outside, and reinforced corners so the bag stands up when it's empty! I'm thinking you probably don't have Meijer there, but you might want to check around to see what you can get at other stores. The ones from Wal-mart are okay, but not great, imo.

Has anyone else seen these? I was at WM this morning and they are selling a cloth like recycled shopping bag for $1. They are pretty good size and I was really happy to see them so I bought a bunch.

I have about 10 of them that I bought months ago. Now I just wish the checkers would stop sighing and complaining when I use them.

YOu know also, I was doing the self checkout at Meijer (the kinds with less than 12 items, you can't put the bag on the bagging area because it weighs them. Even if you wait until you scan an item. It's annoying, I'll just use the conveyor self check out and my kids can bag stuff.

I did this today, and the machine was annoyed with me at first because the weight didn't match what it expected, but I think the cashier/supervisor (one person for about 4 counters) did something to verify after my 2nd item, and after that it went fine. I almost never have few enough items to use the self-checkout, though!

I've been using the cloth bags for a couple of months now, and at first was somewhat self-conscious about it, felt like some kind of eco-wierdo, but now I get annoyed if I happen to forget my bags on grocery day. I even have a more flexible/compactible one that I keep in my purse for misc. unexpected stops. I haven't had to buy any bags - they're all freebies from dh's software conferences or the zoo society or Earth day giveaways this year!

Also, as thrilled as I am that WM is selling reusable bags, check your thrift store.

I have about 30 large, nice, heavy canvas bags with long handles, and I didn't pay more than $0.50 for a one of them. Most of them were a quarter each.

(Okay, I paid $1 for an awesome, hand made, polka-dot lined patchwork bag, but that's our library bag. :))

I didn't get all the bags on one trip to the thrift store, but they all came from the same thrift store over a period of about 3 months, so probably about 5 visits.

Thanks! I'm stopping by GW tomorrow!!!!

How will I possibly line all my little trash cans if I stop accepting plastic bags when I shop?!? :confused:

I grew up shopping at a warehouse grocery store. We brought our own bags/boxes, wrote the price on each item from the price on the shelf using a wax pencil, and bagged/boxed it up ourself after checking out. Anyone remember anything like that?

Pegasus

When we go to Wal Mart now, we take our own cloth shopping bags, and then everyone looks at us weird because we go the plastic bag recycling stand and fish out a nest of bags to take home to line the trash cans.

However, these bags have been used at least once, so we are still reducing the number of plastic bags manufactured (either shopping or commercial trash bags) and eventually ending up goodness-knows-where.

How will I possibly line all my little trash cans if I stop accepting plastic bags when I shop?!? :confused:

I grew up shopping at a warehouse grocery store. We brought our own bags/boxes, wrote the price on each item from the price on the shelf using a wax pencil, and bagged/boxed it up ourself after checking out. Anyone remember anything like that?

Pegasus

I thought it was so much fun to shop there. Thanks for the memory.

K

• 4 weeks later...

We have some from our grocery store, and I have never had a cashier complain. We always get the 5 cent bag credit. But, I have the hardest time remembering to take them into the grocery store with me!!! It still is not second nature.

I bought these reusable bags from this site, and they're great!

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bags%E2%84%A2-earthtote%E2%84%A2-reusable-shopping-p-10.html

They are big and sturdy and stand up by themselves for packing. For our family of 5, I use between 3-6 (depending on the packer) per trip. For mall and other store use, I bought these and LOVE them. They are so cute and I can always keep one or two rolled up in my purse. I haven't used a plastic bag from anywhere in 2 months!

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/envirosax-mikado-pouch-reusable-shopping-bags-p-1077.html

My WM has them....but...when I asked how much they were...I got a blank look and "I'm sorry mam, I have no idea." Oh, well...Half the time I tell them I don't need a bag(s) and I shop at so many places. I wonder if I could come up with some generic ones?

Aldi & Sam's are my favorite places for bagless shopping:001_smile:.

I took mine in the other day and the cashier had no clue how to use them. She was putting about 4 items in each bag. I was in a bad mood and an even worse one when I had to bag my own groceries. I felt bad, because they just haven't been trained to pack a cloth bag. I think I've calmed down enough about it that I'll write a recommendation to the manager that some training needs to take place.