Menu

Spokeo, all my info and pics were there!

I read this on Fb and checked it out... sure enough! My dh was there, with a pic of our home and our kids info. I wasnt there under my name, but was under my usernames. There were pics of my kids and my pics on photobucket!

I wasnt aware of this site, and thought I'd pass this info on.

There's a site called spokeo.com that's an online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your credit score, home value, income, age. Remove yourself by searching your name, copy the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button at the bottom to remove yourself. Copy & re-post so your friends are aware.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I deleted our profiles months ago! Now we're back, under the address where we lived 10 years ago. :glare: Its like whack-a-mole.

If you need to delete yourself, look for the 'privacy' button at the very bottom of the page.

From the "About" link at the bottom of the home page:

When it comes to locating people-related information, Spokeo’s powerful search and organization technology far surpasses that of conventional search engines. That is because Spokeo’s specialized web crawlers can penetrate lesser accessed, content-rich areas of the web, collectively known as the “deepnet†which many general-purpose search engines cannot. The “deepnet†is home to vast and largely untapped, dynamically-generated sites. And, since the majority of people-related public records are frequently stored on these types of sites rather than on web pages, Spokeo has a distinctive advantage over traditional search engines to which these rich stockpiles of data remain out of reach.

Spokeo aggregates data from hundreds of online and offline sources, including but not limited to: phone directories, social networks, marketing surveys, mailing lists, government censuses, real estate listings, and business websites. All of the data aggregated is publicly available, and accessible by anyone from those respective sources. Finding, consolidating, and organizing all of the data meaningfully, however, could take an individual weeks, whereas Spokeo automates the data aggregation process and offers it at lightning speed.

So, all of the info on Spokeo is available somewhere publicly. It's just that Spokeo brings it all together. This would be why you would show back up after deleting yourself, for example.

I have yet to show up on the website (at least under my actual name), however I have deleted information on relatives. The info is definitely hit or miss in regards to accuracy.

I pulled up my username on photobucket and my entire account was there, all the pics. My photobucket account is private!

I've since deleted all the pics on photobucket.

I think I need a fake birthdate and email I use for crap mike this lol

True.. but you'd think your photobucket account wouldnt be on there. That account was set to private.

I deleted the photobucket accounts. I wont use them anymore.

Are you certain your photobucket accounts are private? Mine are and I checked with Spokeo and it just links to my sign-in page on Photobucket and asks for the password, stating that the Photobucket account is private. Maybe Photobucket dropped the ball and didn't process your account as a private one.

Ours was so inaccurate. I wish we had that income and house worth over a million.

:iagree: And I don't see a link to my page (I exist 3 times!). It just shows a summary on the map page with a link to purchase. It's pretty inaccurate. I have my facebook page pretty locked down though.

Ok, so this is the way I see it. All the info on there is basically public record and could be found out if some one wanted to know. This site just compiles it easily into one site. Also no one is going to find you on there unless they know your name, and search for you. Although it is annoying and kinda creepy I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

Are you certain your photobucket accounts are private? Mine are and I checked with Spokeo and it just links to my sign-in page on Photobucket and asks for the password, stating that the Photobucket account is private. Maybe Photobucket dropped the ball and didn't process your account as a private one.

I did some checking. If you're logged into Photobucket on your computer, when you click the link at spokeo, it will show all your pictures ..... to YOU because you're logged in. But if you log out, and click on the link in spokeo, you will be taken to the log in page (if all your albums are private). So other people probably can't see your photos if you have your privacy settings set to the hilt (they're not logged in to your account on their computers).

I did some checking. If you're logged into Photobucket on your computer, when you click the link at spokeo, it will show all your pictures ..... to YOU because you're logged in. But if you log out, and click on the link in spokeo, you will be taken to the log in page (if all your albums are private). So other people probably can't see your photos if you have your privacy settings set to the hilt (they're not logged in to your account on their computers).

Ahh thanks... Whew, what a relief!

This is what bugs me so much about all of this "linking" of sites. For months Youtube kept telling me I needed to link up with my other pages in order to sign on. I would just reload the page and bypass it to get on to my youtube account. Finally it wouldn't let me do that anymore and the only way I could log on to my youtube account was to do the linking thing. That is very high handed of them. Maybe I don't want to be linked. :angry: