Menu

Opinion - Was this too much of an assignment?

My 11 year old/6th grade daughter and I are having a bit of a disagreement on this Friday afternoon. I assigned her some work and she insists it is too much. I would like your opinion. (Ok, I would prefer for you all to agree with me that it's NOT too much to ask, but since she is my only typically developing child maybe I do ask too much of her, so it would be good to let me know).

She is at the end of Singapore Primary Math 5B (U.S. Edition). I assigned her the review section (in the workbook only) to be completed yesterday and today.

Is this asking too much? She says she needs at least 3 days. I say she is being lazy.

Thanks for your opinions!

Review 3 at the end of the book? 4 pages? I would assign it over 2 days and dd agreed that would be reasonable (she also does some work in Horizons each day, so too much for 1 day here). A typical workbook exercise is 2 pages, so 2 days to do 4 pages is reasonable. But her reaction may mean she is having trouble with some of the concepts.

My oldest completed Singapore, but I don't remember much about the reviews. I would consider how much effort and time each problem should take and estimate how long each page should take. If it's less than an hour - it's do-able.

My 11 year old/6th grade daughter and I are having a bit of a disagreement on this Friday afternoon. I assigned her some work and she insists it is too much. I would like your opinion. (Ok, I would prefer for you all to agree with me that it's NOT too much to ask, but since she is my only typically developing child maybe I do ask too much of her, so it would be good to let me know).

She is at the end of Singapore Primary Math 5B (U.S. Edition). I assigned her the review section (in the workbook only) to be completed yesterday and today.

Is this asking too much? She says she needs at least 3 days. I say she is being lazy.

Thanks for your opinions!

It's hard to say how long it 'should' take her. She is very, very smart, but like I said, she's very lazy. I lay some of the blame for that on my own shoulders because so often I had to leave her to work on her own while I helped or tended one of her siblings that I didn't train her in good work habits. She also learns very quickly, but now that we are reaching things that require more than one step or fast answer, she gets annoyed because it's not quick and easy. I don't think the work is too hard for her at all. We have had a 3 week break so I expected things to be a bit rusty, but she has cried over this for the last two days and it's grating on my nerves! LOL

Thanks for all the input... I don't think I'll let her know most of y'all sided with me (and some of you would have had her to complete it in ONE day LOL). It's been a rough couple of days without me rubbing that in! ;)

I just checked that review--3, right? I assigned that one for one sitting.

This is actually Review 2, right after the section on tessellations. It includes percents of a number, converting decimals to fractions and percents, and some angles/lines and figuring those, and then the tessellations. So she's not quite to the end of the book, but almost.

It's 4-5 pages (she has the book right now, still working on it). There are no more than 30 problems total. Probably more like 25.

I'm a pretty relaxed homeschooler who isn't big on "busy work" and 25-30 math problems over the course of two days seems totally reasonable to me! Unless the issue is that she's struggling with the work to begin with, then it isn't really about whether it's reasonable or not but more about frustration with the concepts or whatever.

We take about three days for the end of book reviews. If I don't chop it up we would be spending hours on math and we just don't have that kind of time in our day.

Now, if I had no where else to be then it would be two days with snacks etc as desired.

I certainly don't consider my son 'lazy' by any means. He is good natured and a hard worker. He just isn't fast when it comes to math. He is getting better though. I have hope!

I think because this was a review started when returning to school after a long break, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt this time and extend the lesson over an extra day.

My guys always fuss and struggle to get back on schedule after a long break - it's to be expected, and that's why we don't do long breaks. :')

Here is a sample page from 5A for those who don't do Singapore. I suspect Singapore has a lot more white space and a larger font.

My oldest was doing 4 pages a day when we went through that text, so she not only did the review but 2 more pages in 2 days. :D

Heather

I think it would be on the light side but assigning coming in after a break may be the problem not the work itself. :D For comparison my 10 year old 4th grader is in 5b, does the review in one day AND does two pages in CWP 5 and 2 pages in Intensive Practice 5a. So I really don't think it was too much to do in one day ( or even in like within the hour maybe two if I was feeling giddy or something!) Those 6th grade feelings really come put strong sometimes :grouphug: