Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week one

This is my second post in this thread. :D I originally posted that I was trying to get through 2 books, and now I've completed 4! (You know it's the first week of the year, lol!)

Since I don't think I'll finish another today (because I haven't started another) here is what I completed in Week 1:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp

Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe by Todd Wilson

The Faith of Ronald Reagan by Mary Beth Brown

LOVED the Reagan book, btw. All books are reviewed on my blog. :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a reading binge bc of WTM board recs and library and Amazon orders coming in!

Week 1:

1. The President's Daughter series by Ellen Emerson White. I'm almost done w/ book 2 of 4. I expect to be done in another day at this rate! They are sooooo fun, but not appropriate for my 11yo daughter for MANY years.

2. I've also been reading the bible chronologically - and read Ruth Beechick's Genesis: Finding Our Roots and Adam and His Kin.

3. Fodor's Boston 2011

Aw, Come on Auntie M. Commit... Commit... You know you want too. *grin*

O, the pressure!

I have failed the reading challenges I've taken up the past two years. But they were pretty ambitious, 81 books for 2009, 60 books for 2010. And I put ancient lit and chunksters on last year's list so I pretty much doomed myself.

But I *did* finish Moby Dick! And loved it! (insert triumphant smilie icon here)

I just don't want to reach the end of 2011 and feel that, once again, I failed to meet the goal. So.... despite your kindest invitation.... I will still not "commit."

But if I read a book a week, I'll be sure to let ya know. ;)

I read "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card this week. This is the first time I've read a book by him. I liked the story as it was imaginative and different. However, I found him kind of crude with a little more bad language than I like to read. I will have to do some research to see if all his books are like this. Unfortunately, if they are, I will probably not read another one.

Book 1 down:party: Next week..."Mansfield Park" and hopefully finishing "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."

I read The Help this week. Amazing book. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. The characters were amazing, and I've been thinking about it for the last few days since finishing. Thanks to all who recommended it.

Next up is Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. Pure fluff, but my library hold finally came through. I hope to read another (yet to be determined) book also.

I have read 1/2 of The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware, and 1/2 of Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers. I am counting this as having read a book this week since, you know, 2 halves equals a whole :tongue_smilie:.

I am still on the history portion of The Orthodox Church, but am finding it to be quite fascinating.

I am planning on starting Facing East by Frederica Mathews-Green and Hold Onto Your Kids next. I am also looking forward into getting into Shame Off You Overthrowing the Tyrant Within, by Alan Wright.

Krista

I read "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card this week. This is the first time I've read a book by him. I liked the story as it was imaginative and different. However, I found him kind of crude with a little more bad language than I like to read. I will have to do some research to see if all his books are like this. Unfortunately, if they are, I will probably not read another one.

Book 1 down:party: Next week..."Mansfield Park" and hopefully finishing "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."

My personal opinion is that his older books are better storytelling, but that his newer books contain somewhat less of the crudeness, and "Enchantment" falls right about in the middle. And I think I recall an interview where he says something to that effect himself, but it may have just been some random person complaining about Ender's Game being unnecessarily crude.

My personal opinion is that his older books are better storytelling, but that his newer books contain somewhat less of the crudeness, and "Enchantment" falls right about in the middle. And I think I recall an interview where he says something to that effect himself, but it may have just been some random person complaining about Ender's Game being unnecessarily crude.

Thanks for that info. I'll check the publication date and maybe give him another try.

Thanks for that info. I'll check the publication date and maybe give him another try.

You might try Ender's Game, actually. It's got some 12 year old boy humor, but is otherwise much more tame than most of his others (no real sexual content at all). While it wasn't written as a kids' book, it's about kids, and has been marketed as such (and not inappropriately).

I don't know if I can remember to keep up with this and my reading can sometimes be spotty, but I'll try. Right now I'm slogging through The Body Toxic, Nena Baker and have just finished up Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Cornwell's Port Mortuary. I also read through Painted Prayers, the Book of Hours in Medieval and Renaissance Art, Roger Wieck, this past week....

This next week, I'll be continuing with Larsson's The Girl Who Played with Fire, which I've already started.... And I have a book called The Book of Love, Kathleen McGowan, waiting in the wings from the library so that I can start it. It's a sequel to an earlier book of hers I read a few years ago (The Expected One, I believe)....

I'm reading several books right now. The one I'm likely to finish first is His Needs, Her Needs -very good advice on how to keep your marriage thriving. I'm getting ready to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I'm also reading When the Brain Can't Hear about Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

You might try Ender's Game, actually. It's got some 12 year old boy humor, but is otherwise much more tame than most of his others (no real sexual content at all). While it wasn't written as a kids' book, it's about kids, and has been marketed as such (and not inappropriately).

:iagree:

I read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide in the last week of December. I didn't think any were crude (but I'm not particularly sensitive).

I read Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella and A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson for my first books. Twenties Girl was really light. Bryson's book taught me a lot about the Appalachian Trail. I am always amazed that I can live in this country and know so little about many parts of it. Not sure what to pick for next week yet.

Lesley

I read Right Ho, Jeeves (Wodehouse) and She Stoops to Conquer (Goldsmith). The last time I read Wodehouse was in college, so it was fun to reread a Jeeves books with the faces and voices of Fry & Laurie in my head. My favorite line: "There was a certain death-where-is-thy-sting-fulness about her manner..." :lol:

I also started but gave up on Queen Lucia, and have stalled trying to read WEM on a Kindle. I love my Kindle, I love all the free books on it (like Jeeves and SStC), but it is NOT a good format for a book like WEM. I may have to buy a print copy. My books for Week 2 of "British Social Satire" are School for Scandal and The Research Magnificent (a lesser-known HG Wells novel).

DS12 read The Alchemyst (book 1 of the Nicholas Flamel trilogy) and liked it a lot. He says it's comparable to the Percy Jackson books, and he likes the fact that all but two of the characters are either historical or mythological. He's just starting the 2nd book in the series, The Magician.

DD8 read two Magic Schoolbus chapter books and told me all about bones and butterflies.

DH is currently reading Soul Made Flesh: The Discovery of the Brain and How It Changed the World by Carl Zimmer and Bill Bryson's Seeing Further: The Story of Science, Discovery, and the Genius of the Royal Society, both of which he's enjoying very much. They're both on my nonfiction list, too, but I have no idea when I'll get to them.

Jackie

I ended up finishing "Rose" by Martin Cruz Smith (which I'd started prior to the New Year so it doesn't really count) and just about finishing (I'll finish today) "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes.

As for my daughter and I doing the challenge together, we read "The Phantom Tollbooth" this week, by Norton Juster (finished yesterday) and then started "Skellig" by David Almond. We also started "Ben and Me" by Robert Lawson for school reading.

And she read TWO Nancy Drew Files books on her own, finished the first "Wright On Time" book (Arizona), and started the second "Wright On Time" book (Utah). (The Wright on Time books feature a homeschooling family, the Wrights, traveling the U.S. in their RV, and sometimes solving mysteries, btw).

Lots of reading over here this week! :)

I did finish When the Heart Mends, on Tuesday, I think. I went ahead and started on Christ the Healer, by Rev. F. F. Bosworth. It was written in the mid-twentieth century and was very encouraging to BIL as their two year old was going through cancer treatment for a facial tumor.

I didn't finish the book I said I was reading for the week - instead I read Black Beauty for the first time. While I guess it may not "count" since it is a children's book, I will count it for myself. I REALLY enjoyed it, I can't believe I've never read it before!

I'm just about done with the Ted Bell book I listed earlier (Warlord) and got a chapter into The History of the Medieval World. I also read about 1/3 of "The Hammer of God" by Bo Giertz. I'm reading with my dh for a book discussion group. So far, so good.

I'm going to officially call week 1 a success for getting some reading done! :)

I didn't finish the book I said I was reading for the week - instead I read Black Beauty for the first time. While I guess it may not "count" since it is a children's book, I will count it for myself. I REALLY enjoyed it, I can't believe I've never read it before!

I'm just about done with the Ted Bell book I listed earlier (Warlord) and got a chapter into The History of the Medieval World. I also read about 1/3 of "The Hammer of God" by Bo Giertz. I'm reading with my dh for a book discussion group. So far, so good.

I'm going to officially call week 1 a success for getting some reading done! :)

I read a couple of children's books last year (Charlotte's Web, Farmer Boy). I think chapter books should count. JMO :D

Good for you!

Dorinda

This afternoon I'll finish up the last 20 pages or so of Undaunted Courage and move on to The Wreath. I have more Lewis and Clark related books to fit in there somehow this week as I prep for a class that starts next week. Looks like there are some late nights in my future. I'll post about the other books as I work through them. I really need to read Lewis and Clark among the Indians and Lewis and Clark Through Indian Eyes before next weekend.

Nan in Mass Running List:

Light Thickens (Ngaio Marsh) - Macbeth theme, which is fun.

Tied up in Tinsel (Ngaio Marsh)

In Progress:

Final Curtain (Ngaio Marsh)

Drawing A Likeness (Graves)

The New Global Student - again, just as annoying as ever but comforting while the youngest is in Japan

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass