Menu

Do your kids have bookshelves in their bedrooms?

We used rain gutters to make a long shelf where the books can be set so the covers can be seen. Google rain gutter bookshelves to see what it's like. Really appropriate for little kids rooms as when they can see the covers, they're more drawn to picking up a book and reading it!

Mine have bookshelves because there have been certain books that they felt very "possessive" about, that meant a lot to them, and I wanted to encourage any love of books.

In the end...neither actually own a lot of books...we usually do the library, or when we read books we then pass them on. I am also shedding books. But we all have books in our bedrooms.

The only rooms in my house without bookshelves are the bathrooms, the dining room, and oddly, our bedroom. The other rooms (including the girls' room) all have multiple bookshelves each, and there's one room that's wall to ceiling bookshelves. And I still have books on the floor because there's not enough space on the shelves! :001_huh:

I'm undecided if I should have bookshelves in the kids' rooms or not.

How about just the older kids, say those reading chapter books and up? Would younger kids benefit from having their board and picture books in their rooms?

Where do your kids do most of their reading? Mine seem to read out in common areas more than bedrooms so I'm wondering if I should keep a toy area in each room or a bookshelf? But maybe they'd read more if they had bookshelves in their room? :confused:

My dd's both got their first bookshelf when they learned to read. It was designated to be a "special bookcase", just for the books they read themselves. They were (are) so proud to place each book on their shelf as they finish it.

After awhile, it became essential for each kid to have a bookcase in his/her room. There are just too many books in this house to keep them all in the public areas. There are bookcases EVERYWHERE!

My boys have a bookshelf in their room that's raided regularly. I also put a small wall shelf from Pottery Barn on the wall next to each boy's bed. I used to reguarly switch books. Now they do it themselves. But they already read in bed all the time. The bookshelves were put in place to keep them from throwing the books on the floor.

Cat

All of mine have full bookshelves in their rooms, organized loosely by the Dewey Decimal system. But, they occasionally "steal" books from each other, even though I've tried to distribute them according to reading level. :tongue_smilie:

We have a full bookshelf in the living room with things that tend to be more universally age-appropriate like read alouds, reference, craft books, poetry, and holiday books. Then I have two bookshelves downstairs in their computer area with homeschool materials. (DH and I have our own bookshelves in our room).

I can't wait to have all of our books entered into Librarything. I only have about 90 entered so far (which sounded like a lot to me, but it's only about two shelves worth of books). It's driving me crazy keeping track of all of these books in different locations. I keep putting library holds on books we already own!

Edited by funschooler5

I'm undecided if I should have bookshelves in the kids' rooms or not.

How about just the older kids, say those reading chapter books and up? Would younger kids benefit from having their board and picture books in their rooms?

Where do your kids do most of their reading? Mine seem to read out in common areas more than bedrooms so I'm wondering if I should keep a toy area in each room or a bookshelf? But maybe they'd read more if they had bookshelves in their room? :confused:

We have family shelves, but they (the three oldest) have personal shelves in their rooms for their collection. My oldest daughter, especially, gets books for every birthday, holiday, etc. and is VERY particular about the care & condition of her books. They are alphabetized and in like new condition. She has been known to lend them out but she even has ME paranoid about the care of her books so I'd rather her sibs get them from the public library than "check out" one of her books, lol.

So, yes, her books absolutely never touch the family "public" shelves.

CJ (our second) is similar in that he has very few books, but those he has he cares for.

Lizzie has a small bookshelf that has two small shelves and she keeps whatever she is currently reading on them as well as library books.

I didn't foresee us having bookshelves other than the family shelves, but truthfully, I like my special things to be put away correctly and not fiddled with and the kids are the same - and I'm glad they take good care of special things, kwim?