Menu

Book a week in 2011.... We're doing it all over again. Who is game?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few more ideas for finding books thanks to some creative bloggers around the blogosphere.

Ideas taken from Take a Chance Challenge. I'm joining in on the challenge myself.

1. Go to a bookstore or library that has a “Staff Picks†section. Read one of the picks from that section.

2: Loved One’s Choice: Ask a loved one to pick a book for you to read. (If you can convince them to buy it for you, that is even better!)

3: Blogger’s Choice: Find a “Best Books Read†post from a favorite blogger. Read a book from their list.

4: Critic’s Choice: Find a “Best of the Year†list from a magazine, newspaper or professional critic. Read a book from their Top 10 list.

5: Blurb Book: Find a book that has a blurb on it from another author. Read a book by the author that wrote the blurb.

6: Book Seer Pick: Go to The Book Seer and follow the instructions there. Read a book from the list it generates for you.

7: What Should I Read Next Pick : Go to What Should I Read Next and follow the instructions there. Read a book from the list it generates for you.

8: Which Book Pick:Go to Which Book and use the software to generate a list of books. Read a book from that list.

9: LibraryThing Pick: Go to LibraryThing’s Zeitgeist page. Look at the lists for 25 Most Reviewed Books or Top Books and pick a book you’ve never read. Read the book. (Yes … you can click on MORE if you have to.)

10: Pick A Method: Pick a method for finding a book from the choices listed below (used in previous versions of the challenge). I've done all off these in the past and they aren't easy, but they are fun.

• Random Book Selection. Go to the library. Position yourself in a section such as Fiction, Non-Fiction, Mystery, Children (whatever section you want). Then write down random directions for yourself (for example, third row, second shelf, fifth book from right). Follow your directions and see what book you find. Check that book out of the library, read it and then write about it. (If you prefer, you can do the same at a bookstore and buy the book!)

• Public Spying. Find someone who is reading a book in public. Find out what book they are reading and then read the same book. Write about it.

• Random Bestseller. Go to Random.org and, using the True Random Number Generator, enter the number 1950 for the min. and 2010 for the max. and then hit generate. Then go to this site and find the year that Random.org generated for you and click on it. Then find the bestseller list for the week that would contain your birthday for that year. Choose one of the bestsellers from the list that comes up, read it and write about it.

Ideas taken from various challenges.

I think someone mentioned a mystery challenge so borrowed these ideas from another challenge:

1. A book by a new to you author who's blurbed a book you enjoyed. So check out the cover of a crime fiction book you've enjoyed and see who blurbed that book and is also an author you've never read before.
  2. A book that has been made into a movie. It doesn't have to be a movie you've seen but it can be. The book, however, should be one you haven't read before.
  3. A book with a protagonist opposite your own gender. So if you're female, the protagonist should be male; if you're male the protagonist should be female.
  4. A book set outside the country in which you live.
  5. A book that's the first in a new-to-you series.
  6. A book by a 2011 debut author.

A to Z challenge: Read alphabetically by author or title

Cool Title: Pick a book based on it's title

Cool Cover: Pick a book based on it's cover

Read a book with a number in the title.

Are you totally overwhelmed. Hopefully not. For more ideas, check out Novel Challenges. Off to work on my list. ;) __________________

I am curious...do most of you create your list of 52 books ahead of time or just decide as you go? What do you find most helpful?

I decide as I go. My moods change as to the type of books I feel like reading & the amount of time I have varies too. I always keep a running list of books I'd like to read, though, & will refer to that if I don't have something on hand that I want to read....

Through paperbackswap this year, I've accumulated quite a few books. I may make it my goal to read at least 75% of the books on my shelf before I get to go check out more from the library. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I decide as I go. My moods change as to the type of books I feel like reading & the amount of time I have varies too. I always keep a running list of books I'd like to read, though, & will refer to that if I don't have something on hand that I want to read....

Through paperbackswap this year, I've accumulated quite a few books. I may make it my goal to read at least 75% of the books on my shelf before I get to go check out more from the library. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I've started a list of what I'd like to read. Everytime I see a recommendation here or get one from family/friends I add it to the list. I add all different genres so I can always find something that fits my mood:)

Great Ideas! Thanks for sharing! I think I will do a bit of both! :)

I would like to participate! I wanted to do it last year, but I got hung up on having to complete a book each week. Some books took a couple of weeks to read. (And some books took an evening!) If it isn't like that - strictly one book per week - then that takes some stress off. I ended up getting about 40 books read this year, so although I fell short, I came a lot closer than I thought.

I am curious...do most of you create your list of 52 books ahead of time or just decide as you go? What do you find most helpful?

Thanks so much! Can't wait for Jan. 1!

I have a list of books I own and a wishlist of books I'd like to read. I match books up with some of the challenges but I don't read in order. I'm a go with the flow mood reader.

I would like to participate! I wanted to do it last year, but I got hung up on having to complete a book each week. Some books took a couple of weeks to read. (And some books took an evening!) If it isn't like that - strictly one book per week - then that takes some stress off. I ended up getting about 40 books read this year, so although I fell short, I came a lot closer than I thought.

The goal is 52 books. How you get there is up to you. Congratulations on reaching 40 books. That's great. Glad you are joining in.

I'm in! Do we blog about it? Is there a weekly thread we report to? How does it work?

If you have a blog, you can blog about it. Talk about the books you read or review them. We have a weekly thread that I post every Sunday. Search for Book a Week in 2010 and check out how it works. I'll be reposting all the 'rules' at the beginning of the year. More info is on the 52 books blog.

I can so do this...

I've started an Amazon wish list called 52 in 52 and whenever I read or hear about a book I might be interested in, I go there and add it.

Great idea! I have SO much in my wish list, never thought of splitting it up. Off to Amazon.

Yes, I will do this. I didn't do it this year- although I probably read that many books. It would be good for me to expand my reading beyond the types of books I normally read, too. And to discuss books with others. I am a bit of a lone reader and dh really tries to listen but is not a reader himself :)

I meant to ask before, are any of your kids doing this too? I've decided to invite DS along for the ride as well and he is game. He's 11 so the stipulation is that the books have to be more than 100 pages. So far he has about three or four on his list to start on the first.

I meant to ask before, are any of your kids doing this too? I've decided to invite DS along for the ride as well and he is game. He's 11 so the stipulation is that the books have to be more than 100 pages. So far he has about three or four on his list to start on the first.

Good idea! I just asked my girl and she thinks it's "really cool!" :001_smile:

My boys always have a book or two that they read every evening. I could ask if they would like to have a goal as to how many books.

I can't do 11-11-11 (I couldn't do 10-10-10 last year, either :D) but I wanted something similar, so I came up with my own challenge for 2011:

1 to 11 in 2011

I made a list of books in 11 categories. The first category has one book, then each has one more, up to a category of 11 books. It works out to 66 books, if I added correctly. That's reasonable for me, as quite a few of the books are in the 800+ page category. The 11 books category is TBA, as I needed a way to work in recommendations from throughout the year.

I'll participate in the book a week threads. :001_smile: I have received quite a few good recommendations here lately.

I can so do this...

I've started an Amazon wish list called 52 in 52 and whenever I read or hear about a book I might be interested in, I go there and add it.

What an excellent idea. I never remember to indicate who recommended the books I add. Will have to do this. Thanks for the suggestion.

I can't do 11-11-11 (I couldn't do 10-10-10 last year, either :D) but I wanted something similar, so I came up with my own challenge for 2011:

1 to 11 in 2011

I made a list of books in 11 categories. The first category has one book, then each has one more, up to a category of 11 books. It works out to 66 books, if I added correctly. That's reasonable for me, as quite a few of the books are in the 800+ page category. The 11 books category is TBA, as I needed a way to work in recommendations from throughout the year.

I'll participate in the book a week threads. :001_smile: I have received quite a few good recommendations here lately.

Great idea as well. I'm still trying to figure out how to word the 12 in 12 mini challenge on the 52 books challenge. I'm working on the categories. Think will change them to genres. Bart's Bookshelf has an interesting Twenty Eleven Reading challenge that has some great ideas.

What counts and what doesn't count and all that good stuff.

In reference to children books. If it is a child whose reading it and involved in the challenge, then that's okay. If an adult is doing read aloud with kids, the book should be geared for the 9 - 12 age group and above and over 100 pages. If adult reading for own enjoyment, then a good rule of thumb to go by "is there some complexity to the story or is it too simple?" If it's too simple, then doesn't count.

School Books -- if they are your school books for college and you want them to count, then count them. I counted the books I read for my Nobel Literature class. I probably could have counted the short stories I'm reading but decided not to.

Books of the bible - totally up to you although I would consider the bible one book.

Also if you start a book this week and don't finish it until after the first, then you can count it for 2011.

If I missed any other questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to address them.

Do you all think a facebook page for the challenge would be beneficial?

Would you still do the link on here each week? We're not on facebook, so if that was the only place the challenge was addressed weekly, it wouldn't work for me; however, it's a great idea for those who are on facebook and interested in posting there!

Would you still do the link on here each week? We're not on facebook, so if that was the only place the challenge was addressed weekly, it wouldn't work for me; however, it's a great idea for those who are on facebook and interested in posting there!

Actually it would have been in addition to. I may have spoke too soon though, because I looked up how to do it as a group off of my facebook page and it would be a lot of extra work. And I just don't have the time for it. So going to kibosh that idea.

I'm in! I can't BELIEVE I didn't participate last year - I know I read at least 52 books!

A question about Amazon wish lists. How can I search for other's lists? My list is public, and I'm assuming some of you also have public lists. But I am at a loss as to how to find wish lists on Amazon without knowing the owner's name. Is it possible to search for lists named "52 in 52"?

I'm in! I can't BELIEVE I didn't participate last year - I know I read at least 52 books!

A question about Amazon wish lists. How can I search for other's lists? My list is public, and I'm assuming some of you also have public lists. But I am at a loss as to how to find wish lists on Amazon without knowing the owner's name. Is it possible to search for lists named "52 in 52"?

Yeah! Glad you decided to join in. Here's my wish list. I also started a new one for 2011 called 52 books (currently empty) where I can save the books you guys recommend and remember who told me about it. Perhaps we should put links to our wish lists in our signatures. That way if we perhaps want to surprise someone during the year with a book they want for a birthday or just because, we can do so.

Perhaps we should put links to our wish lists in our signatures. That way if we perhaps want to surprise someone during the year with a book they want for a birthday or just because, we can do so.

Oh, we could book swap with each other if any of us want to read the same books.

Off to Amazon to try and figure out how to make such a list. I keep a list saved under my library card, but not all books are at my library.

I'm a longtime lurker. My daughter is only 3, so we haven't started homeschooling yet, so I've just been on the boards doing research for the future. I would love to join this challenge. I've tried to do something similar on my own for the past few years, but having somewhere to be accountable might make it easier.

Oh, we could book swap with each other if any of us want to read the same books.

Off to Amazon to try and figure out how to make such a list. I keep a list saved under my library card, but not all books are at my library.

That's a good idea too!

I'm a longtime lurker. My daughter is only 3, so we haven't started homeschooling yet, so I've just been on the boards doing research for the future. I would love to join this challenge. I've tried to do something similar on my own for the past few years, but having somewhere to be accountable might make it easier.

You are more than welcome to join in. :) Welcome to the boards.