Menu

Mid-life Crisis.

Is it inevitable?

All of my siblings began their unique crisis this year. And now DH's siblings have begun.

One of my ds is moving her very reluctant family cross country to her new job. She's given notice at her old job and accepted the new one. Her dh has been unemployed for 3 years and he's the biggest opponent. Biggest wage earner gets to choose location, right?

The other ds joined the Army at age 42. Enough said.

My oldest sister, divorced, is dating a man from Puru who is a native Indian there. He's is as emotional as a man can get. Doesn't drive. Has a grown daughter who is mentally ill. And they break up and make up on a weekly basis.

DH's corporate brother bought a working farm and is becoming a farmer. :001_huh::001_huh: His wife was squeamish about my folks chicken coop 7 years ago. Now they own 4 horses, a tractor, hayfield, and part of a tree farm. Oh yes, the beloved barn. . . .

So for my own mid-life moment I'm contemplating buying some angora bunnies and a spinning wheel. "Why?" dh asked. I don't think a mid-life crisis requires a logical explanation. Just because.

And maybe borrow my mom's miniature donkey lawn ornament for the summer.

What about you? Got a plan or will you just let it happen.

By the way calico, I think everyone should have a donkey lawn ornament. Why not? I can think of half a dozen half-witty comments to say to people about keeping all the a$$es outside. :001_smile:

:lol: Forgot to mention it's alive. His name is Willie and he's just about the cutest, annoying,bull-headed, friendly, fence escape artist a$$ I've ever met.

I'll pass him off as a great dane to the city folk here. :) His braying might be a dead give away though. :D

I think the best solution for a mid-life crisis is a hot new car, some great new clothes and makeup, some serious shopping, and lots of chocolate.

And some fancy, frothy coffee and some pastries wouldn't hurt, either.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. ;)

Cat

Hee hee... Well, I spin & see nothing wrong with your choice. Maybe get the spinning wheel first & the angoras after you've had a chance to see how you like it? You can spin angora by itself, but it is more commonly carded in with wool... Perhaps some sheep on your lawn instead of the donkey? ;)

My little midlife crises involved starting a new band with the drummer from the band I played with in college. (Actually it was her midlife crises that started it; she got this ball rolling.) At first we just jammed together a little, then advertised for a guitarist... Then a singer... Now we're playing gigs. Lol. You never know where these crazy ideas will take you!

My little midlife crises involved starting a new band with the drummer from the band I played with in college. (Actually it was her midlife crises that started it; she got this ball rolling.) At first we just jammed together a little, then advertised for a guitarist... Then a singer... Now we're playing gigs. Lol. You never know where these crazy ideas will take you!

That is so cool!!! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Cat

I think the best solution for a mid-life crisis is a hot new car, some great new clothes and makeup, some serious shopping, and lots of chocolate.

And some fancy, frothy coffee and some pastries wouldn't hurt, either.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. ;)

Cat

Got a head start on this. . . . spent 3 hours at a salon, spent a ridiculous amount of money and emerged with a new hair color and hair do. :lol:

Hmmm....clothing. I do need something for mil's Christmas party.

By the way calico, I think everyone should have a donkey lawn ornament. Why not? I can think of half a dozen half-witty comments to say to people about keeping all the a$$es outside. :001_smile:

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't stop chuckling about this. You must know me IRL.

"The other ds joined the Army at age 42. Enough said. "

Is that even possible? I thought the cutoff was WAY earlier than that.

Nope. 42 is the cutoff. She did boot camp this summer. Left her family for a month, 3 young daughters and a handicapped dh. :001_huh: She came back with cheap cheesey gifts for the family and a ton of expensive cowboy boots for herself. What?!

Is it inevitable?

All of my siblings began their unique crisis this year. And now DH's siblings have begun.

One of my ds is moving her very reluctant family cross country to her new job. She's given notice at her old job and accepted the new one. Her dh has been unemployed for 3 years and he's the biggest opponent. Biggest wage earner gets to choose location, right?

The other ds joined the Army at age 42. Enough said.

My oldest sister, divorced, is dating a man from Puru who is a native Indian there. He's is as emotional as a man can get. Doesn't drive. Has a grown daughter who is mentally ill. And they break up and make up on a weekly basis.

DH's corporate brother bought a working farm and is becoming a farmer. :001_huh::001_huh: His wife was squeamish about my folks chicken coop 7 years ago. Now they own 4 horses, a tractor, hayfield, and part of a tree farm. Oh yes, the beloved barn. . . .

So for my own mid-life moment I'm contemplating buying some angora bunnies and a spinning wheel. "Why?" dh asked. I don't think a mid-life crisis requires a logical explanation. Just because.

And maybe borrow my mom's miniature donkey lawn ornament for the summer.

What about you? Got a plan or will you just let it happen.

Not all that you've posted is bad, some of it sounds quite cool actually and appears to be working certain people's favor. Spinning wheel is...unique :lol:.

I plan on doing something like this http://www.dogbrothers.com. 'Cause nothing says midlife crisis than a shrimpy housewife deciding she'd like to take on knife fighting as her next venture. :tongue_smilie:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Obviously the spinning wheel is so you can shave the bunnies and make sweaters. :D

I want to move somewhere near the North Pole, where we can have tons of snow. I also considered getting lots of land for a sustainable farm somewhere like Montana where it also snows.

Got a head start on this. . . . spent 3 hours at a salon, spent a ridiculous amount of money and emerged with a new hair color and hair do. :lol:

Hmmm....clothing. I do need something for mil's Christmas party.

I can see that you're already well on the road to recovery. :cheers2:

I feel so proud of you.

Now get thee to the mall! :D

Cat

Well, at 44, DH's mid life crisis is in full swing (think excessive exercising, actually willing to take vitamins, etc.). I asked a few more mature women I know when it will end - the consensus is 50. What say the Hive?

I, on the other hand, will send my last one off to college when I'm 59, so I'm hoping to skip the whole crisis altogether :tongue_smilie:. By the time I come up for air, I'll be just about "retired," whatever that means :D

Obviously the spinning wheel is so you can shave the bunnies and make sweaters. :D

I want to move somewhere near the North Pole, where we can have tons of snow. I also considered getting lots of land for a sustainable farm somewhere like Montana where it also snows.

Yes! :D

DH's midlife crisis happened years ago when I was busy having babies- he is 14 years older than I. He changed careers, downsized, had babies with a younger wife-me :)

Mine seems to be in full swing (age 43) but I am still in the "what the heck am I doing with my life" stage of it. Homeschooling is ending- I guess that is part of it. It surprised dh- he was the one hanging on to it. Dd is going to college and the thought of homeschooling ds, while he fights, resists and argues me every single day, for the next 3 years...was too much to handle, so it felt right to find a good school for him and he is happy too. So...what on earth am I going to do with myself?

I am not short of ideas...but they are so wide and varied and I cant seem to feel one pull stronger than another. They are all equal...and, I think I could just do with a year of not doing much at all, frankly! And, I dont want to get too completely busy while the kids are still really needing guidance, and ds (with LDs) may not even handle school, so I need to give that some time.

DH has mentioned a few times as I go into meltdowns and craziness, that I must be having a mid life crisis. It feels good to be able to give it a name :)

I think you just brush the bunnies?

Right, right?

Please, help me get the shaved bunnies image from my head.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Right, right?

:lol::lol: Thank you, I needed a laugh this evening.

My mid life crisis was so long ago I barely remember it, but here's what I got. She is a terror, no manners at all, smells bad and chases my horses. I adore her . All my friends get puppies for the mid life crisis thing. But mostly they get poodles and ****z-whatevers. I had to get an ACD.

March2008010.jpg

Right, right?

I think it can go both ways! LOL. I don't have Angoras, so I can't tell you from personal experience. But I have been asked if I could shave/clip a friend's bunnies. (I shear my own sheep, so I know how to do that, but shaving bunnies is out of my skill set.) Maybe it is helpful during hot weather to just clip all the hair off?

On the other hand, my aunt just brushed her angoras a lot and pulled out tufts of hair to card in with her wool. I don't think she ever clipped hers. Her climate is cooler than it is where I live, though...

OP- are you thinking of joining a spinning guild or taking your wheel around with you to various places? I could recommend a couple wheels for you to check out... some are more portable than others. Ashford is one of the most well known brands... LOL... Ashford is to spinning wheels as Fender is to guitars/basses. ;)

My mid life crisis was so long ago I barely remember it, but here's what I got. She is a terror, no manners at all, smells bad and chases my horses. I adore her . All my friends get puppies for the mid life crisis thing. But mostly they get poodles and ****z-whatevers. I had to get an ACD.

March2008010.jpg

Oh, gorgeous, I can relate.

I WANT a donkey but instead I have a one-eyed horse. And four llamas names Larry, Curly, Moe and Shemp. Dh calls our farm "Jurassic Freakin' Park." :lol: I don't think it's a midlife crisis, though. I started this at 40, finally living out my lifelong dream.

I keep my llama wool in the hopes I'll spin it someday on my own wheel. I'll settle for a drop spindle. All my llama wool is used for is nests. The potbellies dragged some into their "box" and then I saw birds got ahold of some to make nests. I have one in my house. Nest, that is, no llama. :lol:

What IS a midlife crisis anyway? :confused:

Not all that you've posted is bad, some of it sounds quite cool actually and appears to be working certain people's favor. Spinning wheel is...unique :lol:.

I plan on doing something like this http://www.dogbrothers.com. 'Cause nothing says midlife crisis than a shrimpy housewife deciding she'd like to take on knife fighting as her next venture. :tongue_smilie:

SHRIMPY? I can honestly say I've NEVER heard that one before. Are you small?

March2008010.jpg

well now you've done it. Thanks a LOT, Remudamom. I guess I'm having a MLC. I'm having SEVERE puppy fever. I already have three dogs. Dh says no more.

We do plan to eventually get a german shepherd and train it to be a body guard. Cool.:001_smile:

I WANT a donkey but instead I have a one-eyed horse. And four llamas names Larry, Curly, Moe and Shemp. Dh calls our farm "Jurassic Freakin' Park." :lol:

Can I come over to your house? It sounds like it would be so much FUN!!!

Cat

PS. Perhaps you can make a nice little "Welcome to Jurassic Freakin' Park" sign to hang up next to your front door, and you can give it to your dh for Christmas. ;)

Hey, no fair! I had food in my mouth when I read that!! :lol:

My DH is 51 and hasn't done anything nuts. I'm 42 and am back in school, which I think is nuts, but surely education cannot be considered a result of a midlife crisis.

Maybe we're too boring to have proper crises?

Well, I'd like to go to med school. My Alma Mater has one of those 1 year post bac programs and I live 40 minutes from campus. It also has a great med school. Of course, that would mean Dh would have to shelve his passport and we'd have to use the college tuition money saved for the kids for ME. Not realistic, but if $1 million landed in my lap I'd be prepping for the MCAT.

We did the green acres thing - DH left a corporate executive job, left the big city in WI/ IL, sold everything and moved to a 160 acre cattle farm in AR. Now we're redneck hicks. We love it. Oh, I also had another baby after 10 years. For both things, we've been called crazy by all our friends. Here's my "crisis" baby and DH bathing MY mini-donkey lawn ornament!

IMG_3069%5B2%5D.jpg

Edited by katemary63

We did the green acres thing - DH left a corporate executive job, left the big city in WI/ IL, sold everything and moved to a 160 acre cattle farm in AR. Now we're redneck hicks. We love it. Oh, I also had another baby after 10 years. For both things, we've been called crazy by all our friends. Here's my "crisis" baby and DH bathing MY mini-donkey lawn ornament!

IMG_3069%5B2%5D.jpg

:D :auto: I want to come visit. Where in WI?

My DH is 51 and hasn't done anything nuts. I'm 42 and am back in school, which I think is nuts, but surely education cannot be considered a result of a midlife crisis.

Maybe we're too boring to have proper crises?

Don't worry, you're still young. You've got at least a few years before you're ready for your mid-life crisis. (Although if you're back in school and start flirting with the 20 year-olds, that could count for something. ;)

But your dh is already 51, so if he's going to have one, he'd better get moving on it. :D

Cat

No Mid-life Crisis here. I am way past that and to tired to remember what I was doing 20 yrs ago. I have gotten several good laughs just reading this though.

Oh, WAIT! maybe mine came late. Could it have been adopting 2 very young children when I was 55?

You win! :D

I am too tired to have a mid life crisis....

Faithe

Can I come over to your house? It sounds like it would be so much FUN!!!

Cat

PS. Perhaps you can make a nice little "Welcome to Jurassic Freakin' Park" sign to hang up next to your front door, and you can give it to your dh for Christmas. ;)

yes, come over! It WILL be fun!!!

The red: That is a FANTASTIC idea! I must do it sometime!!!:lol:

I'm 37. Having a mid-life crisis kind of sounds like fun. Should I start planning what to do with it now? Then by the time I'm 42 I'll be all ready! :D

By all means, start planning. And put aside a few dollars here and there, too, because these things can get expensive. :D

I think it will involve learning to shoot guns and playing the drums.

Sounds like a good start to me, but you've got plenty of time, so don't limit yourself! ;)

Cat