Menu

Help me with this temptation - scheduled labor induction

I had my Dr. appt. this am. I asked her what the chances are of having her be available to me for the delivery. She said if it were during the day then she would definitely be doing it (her office is connected to the maternity ward at the hospital). If it were overnight, then it would be when she was on call. So she then whipped out her schedule and gave me 2 dates that would work where she would be on for 24 hours - May 9th and May 15th (my due date is May 19). She said that either of those were fine with her if I wanted to schedule an induction. She said to talk it over with dh and let her know at my appt. next week. If we decided to do that we would schedule an actual time next week. She tentatively put me down for May 9th, even though I gave her NO indication that that was what I was wanting.

This is a conundrum to me. For one, I have never had natural childbirth before (as in no pitocin or epidural) and was really, really wanting to experience that this time. I have been reading a ton on natural childbirth and specifically the Bradley method. I know that being induced triggers much more intense contractions, frequently without pause in between to relax you, and it also greatly increases your chances of having (needing?) an epidural and or c-section. So in those terms, I do not want to be induced (I've never been induced in the past. My labors have always started naturally but they don't progress well so I've had pitocin and an epidural with both).

However, Dh's job is in turmoil. His company is getting ready to file bankruptcy. He's getting pressure from his boss about his vacation time. It's frustrating for both dh and his boss because his vacation time is "floating" - meaning it's dependent on when I go into labor. He is in big-box retail and Mother's Day and Memorial Day are big events for his store. I can see where having a scheduled delivery would be extremely beneficial for dh as well as his boss. Legally, I know that there is nothing she can do - but be frustrated. He is entitled to paternity leave regardless of when he takes it (i.e. on Memorial Day weekend). But I am so nervous right now about his job. I can also see where having it scheduled would help out my parents for knowing when they would take off work to come be with me when Dh goes back to work. And, it would be helpful for letting people know who need to take my other dc for us during the labor and delivery. With my 2nd born, we lived near my family so it wasn't an issue. Now we live 2 states away from my family so it would be friends taking our dc. To be able to tell them exactly when they will have the kids would be nice, you know?

So while I see the benefits, I also know that twice I have had babies and they weren't scheduled and it worked out fine for all involved. I also really wanted to try this completely naturally. But dh's job has never been in this predicament when I've been due to deliver before either, and this particular pregnancy has been hard on me - serious fatigue and moodiness (depression at times) and now I'm just tempted to be done sooner than later.

What do you think? What would you do?

I will never be induced again - my experience was BAD. So when my labor stopped with my 2nd child, I walked for miles in the hospital corridor to get it started again (thus avoiding being induced).

Ds10 was delivered by my regular OB.

Dd6 was delivered by another dr. on call. I was really disappointed that my regular dr. wasn't available - until it got to be crunch time - then I didn't care who was helping me!

I don't know what to advise you about the scheduling problems.

Personally, *I* would never schedule an induction. Immediately, the birth becomes high risk, and will involve much more intervention all along the way. And how can anyone know for sure that the baby is *ready* to be born?

My generation (which is probably your mother's generation, too, lol) fought the battle to have our babies as unmedicated and as free from medical intervention as possible (we all know that sometimes medical intervention is necessary). I am gobsmacked that so many young women are *choosing* medical intervention. U.S. birth statistics are not nearly as good as one might assume; I'm sure that much of that is because there are even more births that involve medical intervention than there were 30 years ago.

So that's my vote: Have that baby as naturally as possible, both for your sake and the baby's. Life will go on, just as it has always done.

I've had four inductions. Three of them planned. So I don't have any problem telling you that if you wanted to do a planned induction, I wouldn't blame you a bit. If I were in your case, I would be planning the date.

But I will also say...having the baby naturally is just as fine. If it is something that you and DH want to do....then just let the baby come when he/she wants to. Don't worry about the rest of it.

No matter what you end up deciding, you'll get the same end results...a beautiful new baby.

How exciting!

I wouldn't. If I'm honest, I can't even fathom inducing for "convenience" reasons. The moment you begin the induction process, you expose you and your baby to much greater risks. Now at times, those risks are lesser than the risks of not inducing -- but nothing you mention even remotely suggests that yet.

Yes, it can be difficult to wait on a baby to come when *it's* ready. But, you know, kids are hard. They rarely do anything exactly when it's convenient for us.

And I *do* sympathize. I never had any family around when my kids were born, dh took a total of 4 days off work for the birth of *both* kids, lol... It's hard!

But I would avoid a scheduled induction like the plague.

Four problem-free inductions. THe only issue I had was with one of my epidurals, the resident who tried doing it messed it up, but once the doctor came in, I was fine. All of my babies were perfect at birth, and I don't think I experienced a more/less painful birth than any of the other inductions I've witnessed. My first induction was on my doctor's wishes (my first baby was over nine pounds, and he wanted to make sure my next wasn't quite so big). The other three were my choice. It worked out well planning for the other children's care and my husband's time off.

I'm not against "natural" childbirth by any means, I just want to say that inductions are fine too. :D

Do whatever you feel right- remember its your choice. All that's important is that baby gets here safe- that can be accomplished either way.

I wouldn't. If I'm honest, I can't even fathom induce for "convenience" reasons. The moment you begin the induction process, you expose you and your baby to much greater risks. Now at times, those risks are lesser than the risks of not inducing -- but nothing you mention even remotely suggests that yet.

Yes, it can be difficult to wait on a baby to come when *it's* ready. But, you know, kids are hard. They rarely do anything exactly when it's convenient for us.

And I *do* sympathize. I never had any family around when my kids were born, dh took a total of 4 days off work for the birth of *both* kids, lol... It's hard!

But I would avoid a scheduled induction like the plague.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Please let little Atticus arrive when he's ready! ;)

You're killing me, LOL! How is that you *remember* the name we have been considering? What other names were we considering? Huh? Huh? It freaks me out that you remember, LOL!

And can you believe that while I was so gung ho about it at the beginning and dh and the dc were NOT, now the tables have completely flipped and dh wants no other name, ds would also cry if it were a different name, and dd and I are on the fence about it! Trouble is, I can't come up with a better one that dh also likes. He is absolutely set on Atticus. We are definitely settled on the middle name though - being named after my dad. But Atticus? Oy, now I'm not so sure! :)

Well, Janna :D I'm at the point where I'm ready to have dh take a knife and cut this kid out, but...honestly I wouldn't schedule an induction. There is something about labor that helps prepare the baby for birth and life in the outside world. Let it happen naturally (and coming from me..that's saying a lot!). You just never know how "ready" a baby is when you schedule an induction. PLUS, even though you've had other children...inductions when your cervix is not ready can cause problems. Pitocin is a strong drug, produces strong contractions that the baby cannot tolerate as well. I know you're worried...I've been there. My dh travels a bit w/ his job so knowing when this baby will arrive would be such a nice thing.

I'm praying that baby comes at a convenient time...when you all are ready! Oh, also, if you are even considering natural childbirth...pitocin is going to make it sooo much harder. Just my .02. :)

I'm probably the odd case, but my pitocin-induced labor was my easiest one, and the longest (5 hours as opposed to 4 hours and 3 hours for the others).

The only one (baby #3, home birth) where I went into labor completely on my own was the worst -- three hours straight of non-stop contractions with no break whatsoever in between. I literally thought I was going to die.

Baby #1 was induced with prostaglandin gel, and it was a very similar experience, taking four hours, but not as hard as #3.

With the pitocin (baby #2), the doctor was able to start labor slowly and let me work into it. I used Bradley and had a great experience. With the others, I never could get on top of the pain, so I felt out of control for the entire process.

For myself, I'd schedule another induction because I had a better experience with pitocin (and honestly, it had to have been easier on the baby, as well). But YMMV.

I was induced with my first one(almost 13 years ago :ohmy:) and I never had an epidural or other drugs(the nurses had to use some type of cream to help my cervix but not sure what it was). I was induced one day and didn't have him until the next night, but I didn't have any problems at all :001_smile:

This last time, I had to be put on Oxytocin(to stimulate contractions of the uterus) and then I had an epidural(my first out of 3 births). Of course this birth was not an easy one for me(since I had high blood pressure) but baby came out just fine :001_smile:

I will say both times I was induced was because of preeclampsia, so my situation was different...

If you aren't comfortable with the idea, don't do it.

If you have more questions, talk with your doctor about it

Whatever you do, know that I will be thinking about you :001_smile: Can't wait to see pictures of that new cute little guy :001_smile:

I've had 2 inductions because of complications, but I wouldn't schedule one for convenience. If you try to induce before your body is ready to deliver, the induction may not work. That happened to a good friend of mine. Her doctor scheduled an induction for no other reason than her due date was 2 days away, so let's get this show on the road. They induced and failed 3 days straight, and finally did a C-section at the end of the 3rd day. By then, my friend was exhausted and the adjustment to motherhood was much more difficult than it should have been.

I vote no. I've had an induction--when my water broke and contractions hadn't started 14 hours later. Horrible labor. I avoided that scenario by having baby 2 in a birthing center and baby 3 at home. Water broke again with baby 3--we waited it out and labor finally started.

That aside, I think your body knows when it's time. I wouldn't schedule for convenience's sake. And honestly, my doc didn't show for baby 1, and I had someone I'd never met deliver my dd. I actually liked him better than my "real" doc! As someone else pointed out, there comes the time when you don't really care WHO is down there, just that someone IS down there to get the baby.

And my offer still holds no matter what you decide.

I've had three inductions, all three with NO pitocin and two with NO epidural. With all three I was 42 weeks pregnant. My OB broke my water to get the contractions started and things went quickly. It works for me because DH can plan his time off and my Mom can be here with the kids. I make sure that my OB knows before I go in that I will have NO pitocin (and I remind her of it when she suggests it over and over during labor:banghead:). My DH knows that I don't want an epidural so he "goes to bat" for me when I'm too busy to deal with the nurse.

Do your homework, make your requests known and remember you are in charge! Do what works best for you and your family!

Melissa

I went into labor on my own with my first (5 hours of labor, 30 minutes of pushing and a 9lb baby). My second was a scheduled induction (due to the anticipated size of the baby). In hindsight, we could have gone without the induction (because my second DD was only 8.5 pounds). However, at the time, the doctors feared she would be a 10-pounder. The induction went very well, the labor was quick, and, since there wasn't time for the epidural to take, I experienced a (more or less) painkiller-free birth (so that's what it feels like!). I had no negative effect from the induction, and this was an even easier birth than the first. As for comments that others would never induce for convenience reasons, only you are walking in your shoes. I believe that your post describes more thoughtful reasoning than the convenience factor. It is a personal decision, and as a PP mentioned, there's no right or wrong. No judgment here. Much luck!

Another no for induction, for all the risks to mom and baby that has already been described.

But, I also want to say that in the end if you decide to have one, make it closer to the due date. We talk about readiness of a child to start kindergarten, what about the readiness of a newborn to be introduced to the world outside? Two weeks can make a big difference in the readiness of a baby to be born (didn't you say she wrote on the calendar 10 days early?). When the baby is ready to be born, a message is sent to your body to start labor. So then, your body is ready as well. There's a lot to be said for readiness.

I had my Dr. appt. this am. I asked her what the chances are of having her be available to me for the delivery. She said if it were during the day then she would definitely be doing it (her office is connected to the maternity ward at the hospital). If it were overnight, then it would be when she was on call. So she then whipped out her schedule and gave me 2 dates that would work where she would be on for 24 hours - May 9th and May 15th (my due date is May 19). She said that either of those were fine with her if I wanted to schedule an induction. She said to talk it over with dh and let her know at my appt. next week. If we decided to do that we would schedule an actual time next week. She tentatively put me down for May 9th, even though I gave her NO indication that that was what I was wanting.

This is a conundrum to me. For one, I have never had natural childbirth before (as in no pitocin or epidural) and was really, really wanting to experience that this time. I have been reading a ton on natural childbirth and specifically the Bradley method. I know that being induced triggers much more intense contractions, frequently without pause in between to relax you, and it also greatly increases your chances of having (needing?) an epidural and or c-section. So in those terms, I do not want to be induced (I've never been induced in the past. My labors have always started naturally but they don't progress well so I've had pitocin and an epidural with both).

However, Dh's job is in turmoil. His company is getting ready to file bankruptcy. He's getting pressure from his boss about his vacation time. It's frustrating for both dh and his boss because his vacation time is "floating" - meaning it's dependent on when I go into labor. He is in big-box retail and Mother's Day and Memorial Day are big events for his store. I can see where having a scheduled delivery would be extremely beneficial for dh as well as his boss. Legally, I know that there is nothing she can do - but be frustrated. He is entitled to paternity leave regardless of when he takes it (i.e. on Memorial Day weekend). But I am so nervous right now about his job. I can also see where having it scheduled would help out my parents for knowing when they would take off work to come be with me when Dh goes back to work. And, it would be helpful for letting people know who need to take my other dc for us during the labor and delivery. With my 2nd born, we lived near my family so it wasn't an issue. Now we live 2 states away from my family so it would be friends taking our dc. To be able to tell them exactly when they will have the kids would be nice, you know?

So while I see the benefits, I also know that twice I have had babies and they weren't scheduled and it worked out fine for all involved. I also really wanted to try this completely naturally. But dh's job has never been in this predicament when I've been due to deliver before either, and this particular pregnancy has been hard on me - serious fatigue and moodiness (depression at times) and now I'm just tempted to be done sooner than later.

What do you think? What would you do?

Full disclosure: I was induced with all 5 of mine. The first 3 were medical, the doctor asked if I wanted to be induced with #4, but #5 was because I was terrified of having the baby on the side of the road (with my inductions, labor didn't start until my water broke/was broken, and each labor was getting quite a bit faster, we were farther away from the hospital, etc.). I would schedule the induction, myself, because of all of the factors you mentioned. Knowing when the baby was coming would give me much more peace of mind.

But, most importantly, how will you feel if you are induced? I know you've been worried about PPD, do you think that my set it off? How will you feel if you try for a natural birth but end up with the pitocin/epidural anyway?

Sorry, I guess I don't have any real advice. (((Janna)))

My first and second were modified inductions and my third was a flat out induction. I would never do it more than a week before my due date but I would definitely do it again. However I have a really good dr that listens to me and I feel like I was listening to my body.

Your reasons are reasons I would seriously consider it also.

personally i would avoid the induction if at all possible, but there are factors you may wish to consider regarding your decision, such as effacement/dialation as the date draws closer, etc. these are things your provider can tell you.

you may be more comfortable w/ some forms of induction (such as prostoglandin gel applied to the cervix) than others. i'd ask exactly what she means by "induction." a midwife would probably mean prostoglandin gel, while an OB could mean that, or stripping your membranes and sending you home to see what happens, but it sounds to me like she means pitocin. an OB may say to come on in, we'll strip the membranes and wait an hour or two, during which time its likely nothing will occur, and then you're already there and admitted and the pressure is on to get the pitocin and get things moving, kwim? i wouldn't be comfortable with that.

You're killing me, LOL! How is that you *remember* the name we have been considering? What other names were we considering? Huh? Huh? It freaks me out that you remember, LOL!

LOL I don't know why things like that cement themselves in my head while important things, such as the electric bill, do not. :rolleyes:

Just don't use Ajax, 'k? :001_smile: (ETA: I mean as a name. Scour your sink with it all you like...) ;)

Okay, trying to step outside of my own reaction for one minute and look at the facts here point by point:

a. Having the doc you want. Not a good reason, IMO. The doc is usually only there to catch anyway, so the real labor support comes in terms of nurses which of course, is luck of the draw. If you have confidence in the technical skills of all the doctors in the group then I would say this doesn't trump the risks.

b. Dh's job situation. Okay, this is a little shadier. On one hand, I would recoil at scheduling my baby around dh's job. But on the other, I see where you're coming from. Our baby #3 came right in the middle of my dh's finals schedule and my mom's huge project at work that should have been done when I went into labor. I felt guilty in spite of myself for throwing everyone off, and had trouble getting out of my own head. This was my longest, most grueling labor as a result.

c. The risks. These depend on how well managed the induction is, how much attention you receive, hospital policy, condition of the cervix, condition of the fetus, mom's health, etc. That is why one person can have 4 perfect inductions and another winds up with C-sections. But the risks are there and they are entirely out of your hands once you start down that road. I know you know this, but you asked for reminders :)

d. The benefits. If you've had successful inductions in the past, chances are greater (but by no means guaranteed) that this one will also be successful. If you decide to schedule, can you pick a date a day or two after your due date? Things will be more favorable then. You can always then try castor oil on the evening of the 14th, knowing your doc is on call the following night. If your cervix isn't ready, it won't work.

Just a few more points to think about.

Barb

I may not be popular for saying it,

but any doctor who tries to schedule a birth around their life is a doctor with ethical issues.

I ask myself- WHY is this doctor in the baby business?

Furthermore, your childbirth experience becomes part of you. It is a deeply emotional experience that lasts a lifetime. My first birth was in a hospital and scarred my memories forever because of this type of treatment: you are another patient & you're baby is ours until you leave

Against induction here. Convenience is not a valid reason for induction. I say wait it out girlfriend. Let things fall where and as they will. :)

Well we have had five of our babies "scheduled". My dh has been able to attend all births so far and only because he was able to put the day on the calendar. He has a job that does not allow him to just call in and take the day off---:D---I wish! It's easy for some people to "let things fall where and as they will" but it would have been tragic for my dh.

I think there is nothing immoral about the practice. All inductions were on or around the actual due date, my mid-wives and doctors have made sure my cervix was ripe (naturally) before inducing.

As for being more intrusive- this will obviously depend. I've induced using Misoprostil inserts, only get heplocks (and haven't needed IVs), and have refused any suggestion of water breaking. I think you can have a relatively natural birth even with the induction- as long as you aren't on pitocin. Having said that, my one non-induction labor (baby three) stalled out and they needed to use pitocin after 12 hrs because my water broke naturally at the start and they were concerned of infection.

I would rather go naturally, but for our family it has been a blessing that induction was an option.

Jo

Well, I was firmly against inductions, until I had my 4th child. :D

Here's my history:

1st - completely natural

2nd - went into labor by myself, but baby was in distress - given epidural for emergency c-section, a bit of pitocin and I was able to avoid the c-section - spent one week in NICU

3rd - dr. broke my water, the rest completely natural

4th - scheduled induction -

Why? I knew my baby was big (9 lbs, 2 oz) despite ultrasound 24 hours before birth that showed he was only 7 lbs. (NOTE: Big babies are not a reason to induce unless you have medical issues); DH had just started a new job and could only take one day off work; I had to coordinate childcare for 3 other children.

Scheduling the induction was so against my former thinking that I cried for days about it. Even the night before the induction, my doctor called and we talked for over a half hour about my concerns - and he always gave me the option of not going through with the induction, but also telling me in his professional opinion that everything was ripe and ready to go.

So, the morning of the induction I show up to the hospital. I'm hooked up to the monitors, and I'm in labor. :D Isn't that convenient? I had been having contractions for what seemed like months, so this was nothing new. We spent most of the day trying to get a good labor pattern going on my own, but I eventually opted for Cervadil to help me progress. That's all it took. The doctor broke my water after the Cervadil and baby was born 2 hours later.

So, to sum up - I'm extremely happy with my induction. It gave me the peace of mind knowing that my previous children were in good hands and I didn't have to worry about making sure sitters showed up at the right times. It allowed my DH to be with my throughout my labor and stay at the hospital - something that was VERY important to me. And third, my baby didn't get too big. He was pretty bruised up and the doctor had a little problem getting his shoulders out, so we are EXTREMELY grateful that we didn't wait any longer.

I wouldn't do it, because I know I would beat myself up if anything went wrong.

My first 3 were induced because my water broke, but my labor never started. It was very painful, but I managed to get through them without having an epidural.

With #4, I really wanted a more natural, less painful labor. I was not induced, but unfortunately, it hurt every bit as much as my inductions.

My natural labor was very fast, and apparently that adds to the pain whether you have pitocin or not.

1st- went into labor, baby stuck, epidural, manually dialated, baby pushed out.

2nd- went into labor, epidural, pushed baby out

3rd- went into labor, labor stopped in the middle of transition, pitocin for last 2 cm of dialation, baby precipitously popped out without any pushing with no dr. to catch.

4th- water labor, completely natural unmedicated birth

5th- went into labor 4 weeks early, labor stopped at 5-6 cm after 17 hours, pitocin started, nubain taken, psuhed baby out in a drunken stupor.

6th- fianlly went into labor 11 days late, 1 day before sceduled induction, completely unmedicated birth

They are all here, they are all fine, but if I was in control, #4 was the best experience. But I am not in control. Try to wait it out, but do what you think is best.

I'm probably the odd case, but my pitocin-induced labor was my easiest one, and the longest (5 hours as opposed to 4 hours and 3 hours for the others).

The only one (baby #3, home birth) where I went into labor completely on my own was the worst -- three hours straight of non-stop contractions with no break whatsoever in between. I literally thought I was going to die.

Baby #1 was induced with prostaglandin gel, and it was a very similar experience, taking four hours, but not as hard as #3.

With the pitocin (baby #2), the doctor was able to start labor slowly and let me work into it. I used Bradley and had a great experience. With the others, I never could get on top of the pain, so I felt out of control for the entire process.

For myself, I'd schedule another induction because I had a better experience with pitocin (and honestly, it had to have been easier on the baby, as well). But YMMV.

This was my experience also. My kids were overdue and we weren't chancing waiting any longer. My first dd was natural labor and lasted about 9 hours, while the induced babies were 5 hours on the dot. Don't buy into all the hype about pitocin automatically causing worse contractions than without. This is not a given like some moms who've BTDT have you believe. My obstetrical nurse was telling me if that happens, the dose is too high and they'll turn the dosage down so you'll have more managable contractions.

You cannot know what the outcome of the birth would be no matter how much you agonize over it. Whether he's induced or natural, there's always risks to be weighed. If it turns out not as you'd hoped, would you still blame yourself for your decision?

We were new residents in Virginia (didn't know anybody!), I lived a hour away from the hospital, had a young child, and my husband worked about 80-100 hours a week an hour away (his medical residency).

I wanted very much to have my mom stay with us to take care of my daughter while I was in the hospital, and afterward for a few days when the baby was born. Problem was, mom lived in Salt Lake City at the time and needed to schedule time off from work.

Our son was a teen at the time but just barely starting to drive and the roads were treacherous (fast traffic, hills, curves). Oh, I was a wreck thinking about the possibilities.

So I went ahead and was induced about a week before my due date. Everything went fine. I had an epidural. I went into the hospital at 9 a.m. and gave birth about 4 p.m. It was probably the easiest birth of my three.

I wouldn't have ordinarily opted for this but under the circumstances I felt a lot better knowing when things were going to happen.

I just think of how much time is the doctor *really* there with you anyway? Most of the time they just show up to play catch. It may change your perspective if you're scheduling things just to have 30 minutes of a certain person's time. At that point, you may not much care anyway!

Best of luck to you!

--Korrie (Veteran of 6 babies. After 1 induction, I swore I would never do that again to me or the baby (and it wasn't awful). But after that I had one in the hospital with a midwife, then 2 at home with a midwife.)

My background: I never once went into labour on my own, but my body likes to be pregnant forever (okay, I'm guessing 44 weeks like my aunt and some other family members, but doctors don't allow you to wait that long as risks increase, even though I'm sure my babies could have gone that long). My dream was natural labour.

However, I wouldn't schedule an induction for this type of convenience. My sister has delivered many babies and almost all induced women do need an epidural or something. I understand all your stress, but as someone else said, your doctor is there to catch in a normal delivery. In my case, because I went so long, my MD gave me a choice of scheduling my inducements to be done by him if it got to the point where I needed a C-section for some reason.

That said, I do think stress is also a risk factor, and I'd weigh the pros and cons of being so stressed out vs the pros and cons of an inducement. If you do choose one, it doesn't make you a bad person!!!!! I don't think, as someone said, the doctor is being unethical; it sounds like she's giving you the option should you choose an inducement. My OB-Gyn is like this and he's wonderful--never forces unwanted tests on me, etc.

My one and only induction ended up being a C-section, so I would never do it again unless it was a real medical emergency. Edited to add: All 10 of my babies have been 1-3 weeks over due and all have been large and I would still choose to let nature take it's course.

My sister has delivered many babies and almost all induced women do need an epidural or something.

I believe the research is that women who get epidurals end up getting induced- not exactly induced, but end up needing pharmaceutical help to regain pattern or speed them along because of infection risk.

The research study was huge, produced by the NIH, and I was one of the many nurses who reviewed hundreds and hundreds of charts for the researchers to come to this conclusion.

I just wanted to clarify that inductions have no direct correlation to women choosing epidurals (pain control).

Anecdotally, None of my 5 inductions involved an epidural.

Jo

I may not be popular for saying it,

but any doctor who tries to schedule a birth around their life is a doctor with ethical issues.

I ask myself- WHY is this doctor in the baby business?

Furthermore, your childbirth experience becomes part of you. It is a deeply emotional experience that lasts a lifetime. My first birth was in a hospital and scarred my memories forever because of this type of treatment: you are another patient & you're baby is ours until you leave

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Okay, trying to step outside of my own reaction for one minute and look at the facts here point by point:

a. Having the doc you want. Not a good reason, IMO. The doc is usually only there to catch anyway, so the real labor support comes in terms of nurses which of course, is luck of the draw. If you have confidence in the technical skills of all the doctors in the group then I would say this doesn't trump the risks.

b. Dh's job situation. Okay, this is a little shadier. On one hand, I would recoil at scheduling my baby around dh's job. But on the other, I see where you're coming from. Our baby #3 came right in the middle of my dh's finals schedule and my mom's huge project at work that should have been done when I went into labor. I felt guilty in spite of myself for throwing everyone off, and had trouble getting out of my own head. This was my longest, most grueling labor as a result.

c. The risks. These depend on how well managed the induction is, how much attention you receive, hospital policy, condition of the cervix, condition of the fetus, mom's health, etc. That is why one person can have 4 perfect inductions and another winds up with C-sections. But the risks are there and they are entirely out of your hands once you start down that road. I know you know this, but you asked for reminders :)

d. The benefits. If you've had successful inductions in the past, chances are greater (but by no means guaranteed) that this one will also be successful. If you decide to schedule, can you pick a date a day or two after your due date? Things will be more favorable then. You can always then try castor oil on the evening of the 14th, knowing your doc is on call the following night. If your cervix isn't ready, it won't work.

Just a few more points to think about.

Barb

:iagree: Barb makes some great points on all issues. I also wouldn't worry so much about which dr. Dh's work situation, etc. gets a little dicier. Can I ask you a few questions? How long did your other labors/deliveries take? Have you started dialating? I would consider some of these issues in the decision.

My other .02 is that if you induce I wouldn't do it 10 days early. I would go closer to the actual due date. Since other's posted their experiences, I'll share mine too. For the record my kids are avg. or bigger than avg. except for head size - they are smaller than avg. I have never had to push longer than 20/30 minutes tops..

Ds1 - I was induced day after due date. Doc at that time had a very busy practice and I suspect scheduled lots of inductions. I didn't know any better, was glad to have someone tell me I could have my baby and was glad my Mom could come the night before from out of town. Started pit and broke water in am (around 6?) and he was born by noon. (Did have epidural)

ds2 - went to hospital with contractions. They slowed down/stopped, but his heart rate had dropped during some of it, so midwife advised that we proceed. We did. He was also born easily. (Did have epidural)

dd - Totally natural. I was 5cm at my check up, but baby was posterior. Next day I had contractions that stopped so I went to the pool having read that swimming can help a posterior baby turn. She evidently did - I felt a major change (maybe her turning?) during supper and 2 min. contractions started immediately. We barely made it to the hospital - she was born 20 minutes after I got there :)

ds3 - because of my experience with dd, we were a little afraid of going natural again. Plus dh was deployed (instate) 3 hours away and I didn't want him to miss the birth (he had been in Iraq for dd). So upon advice of different midwife we induced at 38 weeks - I was 5 cm. Hindsight, I think we should have waited at least 1 more week if not 2. We only broke water, no pit. He was jaundiced and need a biliblanket. I blubbered as if he had needed surgery and blamed myself - but I always blubber about *something* that first week, LOL!

So, now I'm due with dd#2 July1. I'm guessing we may induce again (but not at 38 weeks) because we are 30-40 minutes from hospital. Part of me would love a repeat of my other natural delivery, but I'm not setting my heart on it.

Anyway, your past labors and deliveries are more important than my experiences - but I would be very aware of whether the baby is posterior or not. If he is you really don't want to induce until you have tried to turn him. Also, I know you're considering the stressful situation of dh's job, but have you asked him his opinion on the induction and whether or not to consider his job? Sometimes we take on more than our dh's mean for us to.

I'll stop rambling because I think you've already gotten a lot of great advice. Best wishes making your decision.

I

I just wanted to clarify that inductions have no direct correlation to women choosing epidurals (pain control).

Anecdotally, None of my 5 inductions involved an epidural.

Jo

Interesting. She may have been making an observation based on her practice--I don't think she cited a study.

Every woman's experience is different and every child's birth is different. This said, I have had three good natural birth experiences and can't imagine any other way. You already know the right choice for you and the baby. Trust yourself.

I will pray for wisdom for you as you and your dh decide what to do about the birth of this precious little one.

It's such a personal decision, and I can't begin to know what is best for you and your baby.

A scheduled induction is not something I would do, but I encourage you to pray about it, and seek the peace that passes understanding. Trust God to guide you; he knows your circumstances.

Shalom

I don't believe in inductions unless there is a pressing medical issue. In the interest of full disclosure, all 3 of my children were born at home. That said, they were all very different births.

The first and third, had I been in the hospital would have ended in unnecessary pitocin, followed by a c-section.

#1 was 16 days overdue. 1 week of early labor followed by 5 hrs of active back labor and 30 minutes of pushing in water. I tried all natural means I could to get this kid to come out and he WOULD NOT BUDGE!

#2 3 1/2 hrs of random contractions, 6 contractions of active labor, 5 more minutes of transition, and then 3 contractions and she was in my arms (30 minutes)- she was born accidentally unassisted with just dh and myself present in the dark!

#3 17 hrs of slow labor- 2-3 contractions per hour lasting 45 seconds long, 1 long contraction for transition, 3 more contractions and she was delivered- rather she flew out into water. In the hospital, with my labor pattern, I would have been given pit (esp because it took 11 hrs from 5-10 cm including several hours stalled at 7-8cm and because I only had 2 to 3 short contractions per hour). This would have surely led to a csection because my daughter had a very short cord (about 12 inches) and she needed the time to stretch her cord enough to be born. Pitocin would have put her into distress.

I haven't read responses past the first page.

I had three inductions, because of unrelated health issues on my part. (High blood pressure, chronic.) Other than the induction itself, all three of my births were completely natural - no pain medications, no emergencies, and only an episiotomy with my very first child (who was also my smallest, my youngest and largest being over 9lbs).

My labors were EASY PEASY, but I'm told I'm in the minority there. Nothing happened really until they broke my water (is that considered un-natural? LOL), and then we had a baby in less than an hour all three times. (Pregnancies were difficult. Labor, easy.)

So. Having had three great experiences with inductions... I'd still say don't do it unless you have to. Let it happen as it will. jmho