Menu

Weird things you've said..

You know you've been packing too long when you ask your son if he knows where the scissors are and tell him they were on the table before he folded dishes.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who says randomly odd things. What weird things have you said?

Edited by joannqn

I was boiling spagetti noodles yesterday and needed a spoon to stir it with, I askedmy son, who happened to be right there, to pass me the noodle so I could stir the spagetti. Of course being the snarky kid he said"WOn't that be kind of hard" It took me a minute to figure out what he was even talking about, I didn't even realize what I'd said.

Last week at co-op my middle school newsletter class was falling over laughing..... one of the students kept holding up a dry erase ERASER and asking if I had a dry erase MARKER. I just kept hearing ERASE and told him he was holding one. It made sense to me. Sigh.I obviously need to have coffee on co-op days.

I've had a few, but the best one in our family by far was when my dh and I had just gotten married. We were married on Friday and had to be out of the apartment by the following Friday because he was rotating to a new ship. The Navy gives us a certain amount to cover the expense of driving across country and that day my dh had picked up that check. So the Monday after we got married, he got home from work, and I asked him if there was anything specific we needed to do that night. He responded with

"The first thing we need to do tonight is go the chank to cash the beck"

I of course looked at him with an odd look and said "What?" He then looked at me and said "What" with a tone like,Great I married her and now she suddenly doesn't understand English. After that I told him what had actually come out of his mouth and we both had a good belly laugh about it before we headed out to the Bank to cash the Check!

When I hand my boys kitchen towels and sponges and ask them to, "hamper these, please," they know I would like them to put everything in the laundry hamper at the end of the hall.

This afternoon we were standing at the mail box sorting through the reams of political junk mail. I removed my aunt's letter from the pile of trash and handed the rest to my son asking him to "hamper these, please."

He smiled and took the stack to the recycle bin, but made sure he teased me about it later.

Does it count that when I was in labor and delivery with my first child- a labor which lasted about 35 hours, and I was nearing the end with extremely little sleep and some Demerol in my system, that I TRIED to ask for more ice chips but instead apparently asked for "12 more Hershey's kisses" and nobody knew what the heck I was talking about....? :)

(I mix up my words all the time these days, though, and have been known to say: "Melissa! Ben! Uh, Alexa... whatever your name is!" when trying to figure out which of my kids I'm trying to boss around.) :)

I get so frustrated with myself because I do not know the difference between a cd and a dvd. Never do I get these right and I never will. I also do not know my childrens names. I have given up and they know that no matter who's name I say, if I am looking at you, that is who I mean. They are just lucky if I refer to a boy using one of the boy names and a girl using one of the girl names.

Also, I smelled poop once and went and smelled my husband's bottom--does that count?

I can't remember the name of any of my furniture. I have to use a description of the furniture, where it's located, and it's provenance:

DH: Where's the candy I bought?

Me: It's in top of the big brown thing with the yellow glass doors in the dining room by the back door that your mother bought for us from her next door neighbor.

DH: You mean the hutch?

Me: That's it!

Ok, I do the mixing up words too all of the time. My 8 yr old loves to catch me at it.

But when I read the title I was thinking of the strange things that I MEAN to say. My sister, who doesn't have kids, says I blurt out the strangest things while I am on the phone with her. Once we were talking and she started laughing very hard. She said that I had just told my dd to "stop doing gymnastics on your sister's head." I was like, yea, so? But to her this was not something that comes up in normal conversation :)

Guest RecumbentHeart

IF I can get words out at all (I know all about the pointing and noisemaking previously mentioned) I rarely manage to get the right ones out. Im coming to peace with the reality that I sound like an imbecile and it no longer embarrasses me ... Well, so long as the words that DO come out are decent.

Oh.. and my most used words are thingamajig, whatchamacallit and doobywacker - often all used in the same sentence.

ah yes!! The made up words kept in the toolbox for use when Even I have no idea what I'm talking about. Doobywacker is a new one to add to my toolbox. Sort of a variation of my often used "doohicky".:lol:

Guest RecumbentHeart
ah yes!! The made up words kept in the toolbox for use when Even I have no idea what I'm talking about. Doobywacker is a new one to add to my toolbox. Sort of a variation of my often used "doohicky".:lol:

Doohicky is a new one for me - it's an even trade lol :D Lord knows we need as many as we can get!

I've had a few, but the best one in our family by far was when my dh and I had just gotten married. We were married on Friday and had to be out of the apartment by the following Friday because he was rotating to a new ship. The Navy gives us a certain amount to cover the expense of driving across country and that day my dh had picked up that check. So the Monday after we got married, he got home from work, and I asked him if there was anything specific we needed to do that night. He responded with

"The first thing we need to do tonight is go the chank to cash the beck"

I of course looked at him with an odd look and said "What?" He then looked at me and said "What" with a tone like,Great I married her and now she suddenly doesn't understand English. After that I told him what had actually come out of his mouth and we both had a good belly laugh about it before we headed out to the Bank to cash the Check!

The first year we were married I remember tell dh my "froes were tozen." We still use that expression when we are cold. :lol: