Menu

If 'I could care less' makes you crazy

I love it!!! Thank you for introducing me to him. How wonderful. It's always better to express such sentiments with a snotty British accent and lots of sarcasm.;)

:iagree: But aren't these one and the same? :lol: Oh, wait, I couldn't care less....

Thank you, Laura, that was a wonderful intermission to our morning.

Count me in with those who cannot *stand* to hear "I could care less". How could people be so stupid?!! Don't they realize they're saying the opposite of what they really mean?? :rant:

I do think it's pretty funny though..."inflatable hover-fort". :smilielol5:

Edited by Julie in CA

Ok, so I'm French, so maybe that's why I am not getting his rant about herbs?

He's just mocking Americans for saying (h)erbs (like herbes, as if we were speaking French), when the Brits say hhhhherbs -- their argument being that we are, in fact, speaking English. I don't think it holds water though. Americans and Brits nearly all say History and Human as well as (h)onor and (h)ommage, so it's clearly nothing to do with whether one side of the water is attempting to be "more French" in our pronunciation of derivative words, or the other less so.

Laura, are you mad at me or something? I seriously did NOT have that extra 30 minutes to sit here and watch some guy rant :glare:

(At least all of the laughing kept me from thinking too hard about the time I was wasting... I can't believe I had never heard of David Mitchell!)

He's just mocking Americans for saying (h)erbs (like herbes, as if we were speaking French), when the Brits say hhhhherbs -- their argument being that we are, in fact, speaking English. I don't think it holds water though. Americans and Brits nearly all say History and Human as well as (h)onor and (h)ommage, so it's clearly nothing to do with whether one side of the water is attempting to be "more French" in our pronunciation of derivative words, or the other less so.

There's no logic to it - 'erb just sounds strange to British ears. There are Brits who pronounce the 'h' in 'hommage' though. And older (and posher) Brits don't pronounce the 'h' in 'hotel' or in 'historic'.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

'Could care less' just doesn't make sense. It's illogical. It's not about grammar or punctuation or correct usage: it just doesn't make sense.

Laura

Yes. That is illogical. The thing is, though, I always thought the phrase was "I couldn't care less." I've always said it that way. I don't think I hear people say it the other way.

The thing that drives me most nuts, though, is when people say something is "very unique" or "the most unique." By its very definition, a thing cannot be very or the most unique. Unique is unique. That's it -- just unique. If I thought I could get away with it, the bodies would be piling up under my floorboards for every person I came across who says or writes that.

Yes. That is illogical. The thing is, though, I always thought the phrase was "I couldn't care less." I've always said it that way. I don't think I hear people say it the other way.

I see 'I could care less' written on this board. Maybe the mistake hasn't reached Canada.

Laura