Menu

Please recommend 1 or 2 can't-put-down books for a girl reading at a 5th grade level.

ereks mom

She says she likes mystery books, but she has shown little interest in Nancy Drew and others like those. Recommendations do NOT necessarily need to be mysteries; any kind of exciting adventure story--particularly those in which the main character is a 12 or 13yo girl--would be good.

:001_smile:

She says she likes mystery books, but she has shown little interest in Nancy Drew and others like those. Recommendations do NOT necessarily need to be mysteries; any kind of exciting adventure story--particularly those in which the main character is a 12 or 13yo girl--would be good.

On the mysteries front, how about Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrams. This book is often shelved with YA, but it always feels more middle grades to me - there's no sex or other inappropriate content - maybe some mild swearing. It is a real mystery, with real bad guys and a murder - but also with a 12 or 13 yo female heroine at the center. A good, fun read - there are two sequels as well.

Also, how about The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett. A major female character, but the boy is the actual protagonist. It's an art mystery. Excellent book with lots of twists and puzzles. I love this series. This one is solidly middle grades so no worries at all about appropriateness here. There are a couple of sequels.

Finally, how about the Enola Holmes books. These are short and follow the younger sister of Sherlock Holmes. They're fun and have lots of puzzles as well as a sort of faux Victorian style. I reviewed the most recent (and final) volume on my blog here.

I could keep going, but you did say 1 or 2... Okay, I can't stop myself... I also thought of the Theodosia books, the Sisters Grimm novels, and I would agree with the Mysterious Benedict Society suggestion too. Or even Percy Jackson.

My 5th grader is devouring Percy Jackson right now, and also loves Babysitters Club for candy reads.

For better reading, she loves the Royal Diary and Theodosia books, and several others already mentioned. Kathleen in VA also told me about the Mennyms which is a series that she enjoyed greatly!

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

- Enchantress from the Stars (Engdahl)

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; Through the Looking Glass (Carroll)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

- City of Ember; People of Sparks; Diamond of Darkhold (Du Prau)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- Ella Enchanted (Levine)

- Catherine Called Birdy (Cushman) -- Medieval England

- Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman) -- Medieval England

- Island of the Blue Dolphins (O'Dell) -- a sort of "shipwrecked" story; teen girl accidentally left behind on an island

Edited by Lori D.

My daughter ABSOLUTELY LOVED the "Monster Of The Month Club" series by Dian Curtis Regan (reading level 8-12).

The main character is a 13 year old girl- AND... she's homeschooled!

From the back of the cover of the first book, "Monster Of The Month Club"...

"When the first package arrived, Rilla thought it was a joke. But then the box started moving. And when it opened, the thing that came out was definitely NOT a joke. It was a real, live monster- with an attitude!

Now Rilla has a problem: She's got a seven-eyed monster, named Icicle, who will only eat frozen yogurt and iced lemonade. And that's the good news. The bad news is that she's supposed to receive a new monster on the first of every month- for twelve months!

How do you stop monsters from arriving in the mail? Do they all eat weird stuff? And who gave Rilla a free membership to such a strange club anyway? Rilla's got to find the answers to these questions- fast- or her bedroom will become the very first monster motel!"

The setting of the books is a bed and breakfast her mom and aunt run, there's also a bit of a romance brewing with a boy from her homeschool co-op class- all I can say is my daughter couldn't put them down.

http://www.diancurtisregan.com/middlegradenovels.html

If they sound too "fluffy" for you, she also loved the Pippi Longstocking books, the Encyclopedia Brown books, Judy Bloom (things like Tales Of A Fourth grade Nothing and Blubber), American Girl books.

Recently she read two books that I had assigned- one was "Pocahontas And The Strangers" and the current one is "I Am Regina" and she really loved both of those.

Exciting books for this age:

The City of Ember series

Cushman's historical fiction

Percy Jackson

The Hunger Games, although you will want to preview

A really fun one for girls is Baby Island; two sisters are shipwrecked on an island and have to care not only for themselves, but the four babies who are shipwrecked with them.

The Royal Diaries

anything by Gale Carson Levine

She might like the Dave Barry Peter Pan books--sort of the back story to the real Peter Pan, pretty easy to read but thick, lots of adventure.

Nim's Island and its sequel (have forgotten the name) are both entertaining. Nim is homeschooled, too. Movie based on the book is great, also!

Such great recommendations! I love the Enola Holmes books myself, and DD8 devoured the 39 Clues books. We JUST got Red Pyramid from the library the other day and can't wait to start it! And Island of the Blue Dolphins...so many great books :D I can't wait to read most of these with DD!

Running Out of Time Margaret Peterson Haddix

Among the Hidden Margaret Peterson Haddix

Just Ella

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Walk Two Moons Sharon Creech

Stealing Freedom by Elisa Carbonne

The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope (fun mystery--actually neither of us could put this one down)

Harry Potter

As a former English teacher of middle schoolers, I would highly recommend any of Ann Rinaldi's books. They are historical fiction, but usually have a sense of the mysterious or unknown. The heroin is usually a young girl, so that would be a good fit. Other "all time favorites" would include The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (unfortunately, it is a stand alone, but it is a wonderful story) and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. Other authors I would recommend for excellent writing are Eleanor Estes (The Moffats books), Elizabeth Enright (The Melendy Quartet), and the Anne of Green Gables series. Hope that helps!

When I was 5th grade-ish, I loved:

Dragonsong and Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey

Wise Child by Monica Furlong

the Wizard Children of Finn (out of print)

Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson

multiple books by Diana Wynne Jones

the Bunnicula series by James Howe

My Teacher is an Alien series by Bruce Coville

the Blue Sword and Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley

When my sister was that age, she liked Dealing w/Dragons by Patricia Wrede, and the multiple series by Tamora Pierce.