Menu

How much time on Math?

Okay, how much time are you all spending on math (per kid)? I'm talking about your lesson (teaching & seatwork), any kind of drill, and any supplementing (i.e. games, worksheets, etc.)

(We're doing Saxon 2, if anyone has input from when they did it...)

We are using CLE for math. My 2nd grader usually takes 45-60 minutes to do a lesson (flashcards, speed drill, workbook). He is easily distracted. I'm sure he could get it done MUCH faster than that if he wanted to.

My 3rd grader has been a snail lately when it comes to school. She can easily take 90 minutes or more for a math lesson!

I would love it if they could get it done in about 30 minutes, but so far that's not happening.

We are using CLE for math. My 2nd grader usually takes 45-60 minutes to do a lesson (flashcards, speed drill, workbook). He is easily distracted. I'm sure he could get it done MUCH faster than that if he wanted to.

My 3rd grader has been a snail lately when it comes to school. She can easily take 90 minutes or more for a math lesson!

I would love it if they could get it done in about 30 minutes, but so far that's not happening.

My boy just wants to get it done fast. So even when we do everything ,including the flashcards and SD , he takes 25 min. max.

I had to bribe him at first : " when you finish it , we can go for a bike ride". Maybe you can try that, a walk can be good for everyone :-)

Edited by blessedmom3

My dd9 was spending an hour plus on math, but today, she finished in under 15 minutes including procrastination.

DD5 spends maybe 15 minutes three times a week. We're taking it slow and easy right now to make sure she really gets her addition and subtraction within 10 (then within 20) and numbers to 100. K math is easy.

Thanks for posting this. It's good to know I am not alone. My 5th grade dd has taken 3 hours, or perhaps even more to do a math lesson, on occasion, though usually it's done within 90 minutes. She is a slow worker and there can be a lot of distractions in the house. An older dd is also extremely slow with math. Both are actually good at learning new concepts and score well on tests, but the time it takes is unbelievable. :glare:

A lesson in the lower levels of Saxon takes about 15-30 minutes. Since I'm on my 4th & 5th time through, I have a feel for the program and am comfortable streamlining it a bit. With my oldest we easily spent 45 minutes on a lower level lesson. 5/4 and up take 60-90 minutes, including grading and corrections.

My oldest (9) can take up to an hour. He's a poke. My dd (8) takes about 20-30 min., my ds6 about 15 min. and ds5 about 10 min. plus any math games I play with him. We do MM so instruction takes very little time. Maybe 5-10 min. max on top of their individual work time for the youngers... a little longer if it's a new concept for my older 2.

I'm going to guess that we're in the 30-45 minute range most days. Rarely it could go to an hour if we're on a new topic or doing the challenging section of Singapore word problems. That 30-45 minutes includes a drill worksheet (should go quickly), about half a Horizons lesson (I cross out some of it), going through the Singapore textbook with me, and doing one Singapore workbook exercise on their own.

We only use RightStart. I sit one-on-one with the dc for the entire time, but I am just beginning to have my 3rd grader in Level C do the review lessons without me next to her. Those lessons are every 6th day or so.

RS Level A (K/1) - 15 min 3 days/week

RS Level B (1/2) - 20-25 min 4 days/week

RS Level C (2/3) - 30 min 5 days/week

For my oldest, we spend about 50 -60 min - second grade.

She does 2 pages of Abeka workbook, 1 lesson Singapore Math (I teach with manipulatives and do together the textbook exercises) + Workbook exercise for the lesson, then 2 pages of CWP or IP, or something else.

My kindergartener spends 20-45 minutes on math. We're using Right Start & Miquon.

My fifth grader spends somewhere between 45-90 minutes on math per day. She has a drill & a Life of Fred lesson assigned in a 45 minute time block (sometimes she does finish early). She also (voluntarily) is working through AoPS Number Theory & math olympiad work during the week, and I make her do a review workbook on the weekends.

We did Saxon 2 last year! It was looong!!! I wanted to stop doing it, but my husband jumped in and took over 1/2 the work. We split it up so I did half during the day and he did the other half during the night. We are doing this for Saxon 3 as well. If your husband is not in on it, I suggest you take a huge break and spit it in half during your day. We end with the quiz and side A, then do side B in the morning. It was taking about 1 hour to 1 and a half hours to get through one lesson! It's a lot! Splitting it up helps a lot. Having my husband do half is even better.

Thank you all, that was very helpful. My son is liking Saxon a lot, and I am, too. It is taking a little longer than I would like, but it sounds like we are just about normal, so we will keep things the way they are. :)

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Ds10 is doing Saxon 6/5 - It takes him 5min. to do 100 drill facts, 5-10 minutes for Mental Math (this is my favorite part), 10minutes for the new lesson with practice taking another 10 and the problems take him 20 minutes. Total = 55 minutes

Ds6 is using CLE Math 1 with supplements from MM and MEP. We do fact flash cards, but only to the addition problems he has been introduced to so this takes 2 minutes. CLE pages take him 5-10 minutes, the MM takes 10 minutes, and the MEP takes under 5. Total = 25-30 minutes

for my 7th grader - 35 minutes/day in two sessions (15 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the afternoon)

for my 10th grader - 45 minutes/day

This includes everything for both kids. I have been increasing my youngest dd's total math time by 5 minutes each year, so in 8th grade she'll spend a total of 40 minutes/day and in 9th grade she'll spend a total of 45 minutes/day.

My 5 yo works about 20 min a day on MM and a few times a week on Miquon, when the mood strikes. My 8 yo works for 30-45 minutes in the am either on singapore IP or CWP, and then 20-30 min in the afternoon on MEP. He works with Flashmaster or a computer game for math facts 3X a week for a few minutes, and I quiz randomly whenever we're on line or sitting in the car.

Hmmm....sounds like I'm on the lower end. We're using Math Mammoth, it takes my 1st grader maybe 15 min and 3rd grader 20-25 min. My 3rd grader is using the 2nd grade level though because he was in public school last year and MM follows a different scope and sequence than what his school was doing.

For those of you that use MM, do you not think that it's a full program and feel you need to supplement? My Gr.1 just does 1 page a day and my Gr.3er does two pages a day. So far they're grasping it all really well and finding it quite easy, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm not doing enough???

2nd grader - 30min-60min (Miquon, SM CWP, some MM and sometimes some MEP or games...if we go 60min it's b/c we played a game or he's whining about the injustice of doing a worksheet while the squirrels get to climb his trees.:tongue_smilie:)

Ker - 15min unless she wants more...(She found the Miquon Orange book designated for her this weekend, and is loving it. I will continue to let her do as much or as little as she wants from that. The steady 15min of math is Horizon's K.)

We did 10 minutes in K, 15 minutes in 1st, and now 20 minutes in 2nd. I'm thinking of doing in third 20 minutes of Math Mammoth worksheets, then a math lab of 10 minutes. I don't know if it will be realistic :D