Menu

I never thought I'd be asking this on the boards again, but I need baby name help.

And what is wrong with TWO Seths , whose moms may or may not still be friends as the boys grow up?

She should still use the name and if the other new mom protests she can note that it is a sign of how compatible they are as friends that each would SECRETLY choose the same name!!! And that if she had had her Seth first, she would not have expected her friend to abandon the name.

PS - we have a long, Polish last name - our boys are Joe and John. Had the two girls been boys they would have been James and Justin.

Could she still use Seth as a middle name?

Edited by JFSinIL

If they wanted Seth, I say name him Seth. We have dear friends from church (at least we consider them dear, we probably bug them, lol) and the hubby of that couple has the same name as my hubby. Does it really matter?

In fact the only reason Dh and I backed off a boy's name for our son was b/c we saved it for BIL. It's a Bible name, but is BIL's middle name. We talked to BIL & his wife and they said they'd never use it, but we still saved it for them. This is DH's brother, so the two boys could have potentially had the same first name, same last name, same pediatrician, we lived in the same county then, etc. They didn't use it, but we just didn't feel it was right to use it, just in case. (They had their dc later.)

Oh, and Adam and Eve's son had that name first, not your dd's friend's son! ;)

I had a friend in school named Rhys, and it was pronounced like Reese.

My son is a Rhys and he uses his middle name because there are so many Reece/ Reese girls now... just a thought. Boys get annoyed with girl names; at least mine did :lol:.

That said, short names I haven't seen mentioned yet -- Lute (like the basketball coach Lute Olson), Nolan (baseball player, Ryan), Nash (last name of a basketball player), Graham, and Duncan.

Edited by 3littlekeets

I have a nephew named Cade and think it's a great name.

I happen to agree! We have a Cade and a Luke - I LOVE one-syllable first names for boys.

Our Cade was named for dh's father who passed on. His grandfather's full name was David Kay, but I just couldn't name a boy Kay, so we compromised with David Cade (we liked Cade anyway). We call him by his middle name because BIL's middle name is David and we thought we could use it but still save it for him to use someday if he likes. Turns out he and SIL only have a daughter and probably won't have more. Oh well...our ds is definitely a more of a Cade than a David.

So I say go ahead and use Seth if that's what they had decided on. Like many others have said, friendships change over time, even if it seems they never will.

I also agree to just use Seth. We've moved around a lot, and we only use Bible names, so there are always plenty of boys around sharing names with my boys. Now we've lived here in VA for 6 years, and since dh retired, it looks like we are staying. Our very close friends, who have 4 boys the same ages as ours, have a boy that shares the same name as one of ours. We are together so frequently, and the mom and I talk on the phone alot. We just always say, "my Caleb" or something like that. It has never caused a problem, and I think the boys think it is cool to have the same name! Believe me, there will be plenty of other Seths in the world (possibly in my family, for one, if the baby I'm carrying now is a boy : ), so your daughter might as well have one of them too! It's a great name!

Why not use the name they had chosen anyway? Seth was my first choice if our last had been a male. Who is to say that the other Seth's family will be in same area five or ten years from now?

There are two Ashleys in one daughter's close circle of friends. The girls merely add the middle names to distinguish between the two Ashleys.

I also agree to just use Seth. We've moved around a lot, and we only use Bible names, so there are always plenty of boys around sharing names with my boys. Now we've lived here in VA for 6 years, and since dh retired, it looks like we are staying. Our very close friends, who have 4 boys the same ages as ours, have a boy that shares the same name as one of ours. We are together so frequently, and the mom and I talk on the phone alot. We just always say, "my Caleb" or something like that. It has never caused a problem, and I think the boys think it is cool to have the same name! Believe me, there will be plenty of other Seths in the world (possibly in my family, for one, if the baby I'm carrying now is a boy : ), so your daughter might as well have one of them too! It's a great name!

:iagree:

Our across the street neighbors have become good friends of ours. Our ds's share a name, are the same age and play with each other constantly. When they are together, we often call them by last name or in plural, which is cute. When talking about them we do the "my" thing.

My best friend (from high school) and I both have daughters named Sarah. When we are all together we just use their middle names as well - Sarah Mae and Sarah Rose. In conversation sometimes we'll refer to them as "your Sarah" or "my Sarah". It's never been a problem! They should use the name they love.

My best friend (from high school) and I both have daughters named Sarah. When we are all together we just use their middle names as well - Sarah Mae and Sarah Rose. In conversation sometimes we'll refer to them as "your Sarah" or "my Sarah". It's never been a problem! They should use the name they love.

I already posted in this thread and yet forgot to mention this fact!

We met a family we adore about 4 years ago. Our dd is 15 and their dd is 8, but our girls have the exact same first and middle names! LOL! We both forget and call out the 1st name and both answer. Then we'll add the middle name and they both answer again! LOL.

What would be cool, and NOT just for the name thing, this family is GREAT, is if my dd married into that family (5 boys to choose from, though some are younger) and if their dd married my ds. :)

I will go with the unpopular opinion and say I would NOT use the name Seth, just because it would make me feel bad. I don't want to feel bad every time I say my child's name. A cousin of dh took our oldest ds's name a year later. We attend the same church, same last name. How annoying! I'm glad we don't see one another often.

Great short names:

Mark, John, Luke, Paul, James, Zane, Sean, Dan, Jude, Chad, Clark, Troy, Charles, Joel.