Menu

Flossing & brushing, which do you do first?

WHich first, floss or brush  

1. 1. WHich first, floss or brush

• Floss first then brush
    • Brush first then floss
    • Other?

Dh and I had an interesting discussion about this. I have read several opinions on the internet about which should be performed first. I can see the the reasons behind both "camps." I have even seen dentists disagree! I suppose the *ideal* way would be brush, floss, brush again, mouthwash :D. What say you?

other ! I never floss.

I never did, either. I used to tease my husband that floss was a conspiracy to get folks to wear the enamal off their teeth and visit the dentist more often.

Then, I hit 45 and started having gum problems. :001_huh:

So, now I rinse with Listerene, floss, brush and rinse again. :)

I brush, then floss, then brush again. My reasoning: brush first to get off the "stuff" that's on there so it isn't as gross. After flossing, the spaces will be all clear for the toothpaste to penetrate all the nooks and crannies. Dh thinks I am totally weird, btw. :001_smile:

I just read all the responses and am delighted to see that I am NOT totally weird! (unless all of us brush-floss-brushers are weird, but we're not weird alone!) I am so happy to show this thread to dh.

Edited by GraciebytheBay

Do you rinse after brushing, or leave the paste on as is?

Rinse, but the analogy is not quite there IMO. Flossing somewhat "scrapes" the surface as you go to the very teeth, very sharply so I suppose it does "peel off" some of the protective layer that you got there with the paste. Rinsing isn't as "aggressive", if you know what I mean - it basically gently picks the paste, but doesn't "scrape".

ETA: That's an amateur reasoning, of course. But I did get it advised by the dentist to do it that way.

I brush, then floss, then brush again. My reasoning: brush first to get off the "stuff" that's on there so it isn't as gross. After flossing, the spaces will be all clear for the toothpaste to penetrate all the nooks and crannies. Dh thinks I am totally weird, btw. :001_smile:

I just read all the responses and am delighted to see that I am NOT totally weird! (unless all of us brush-floss-brushers are weird, but we're not weird alone!) I am so happy to show this thread to dh.

Its not just you! :lol: And, my dh has asked me several times about how this poll has been going. Dental hygiene is a very important marital issue.:tongue_smilie:

I actually do them seperately. I floss several times a day and then brush morning and night. I go to the dentist every six months and I never have any tartar, plaque or gums problems. I also use an electric toothbrush and I brush obsessively for longer than recommended but I can feel when all of my teeth are clean and smooth. I don't use mouthwash because I have read that the alcohol in it can actually damage the gums and mucus membranes in the mouth and cause problems. Oh and I use baking soda to brush and I brush my tongue and the roof of my mouth (told you I was obsessive). This might not work if you have sensitive teeth or too much wearing of the tooth enamel.