Menu

Want a look at a 9th grade public school schedule?

Aludlam

Just for fun, here is the schedule of a 9th grade boy for this coming school year. This is suppose to be the "best" public school in our area. It's the school district that people from all around have tried to buy houses to be in.

Term 1 / Semester 1

Keyboarding

World Geography, Into

English 1, grade 9

Football, grade 9

Term 2/ Semester 1

Comprehensive Health

Computer Applications

English 1, grade 9

Football, grade 9

Term 3/ Semester 2

Science Skills and Reasoning

State Studies

Algebra I, grade 9-12

Football, grade 9

Term 4/ Semester 2

Intro to Theater Arts

Algebra I, grade 9-12

Football, grade 9

What do you guys think? Seriously.

Just for fun, here is the schedule of a 9th grade boy for this coming school year. This is suppose to be the "best" public school in our area. It's the school district that people from all around have tried to buy houses to be in.

Term 1 / Semester 1

Keyboarding

World Geography, Into

English 1, grade 9

Football, grade 9

Term 2/ Semester 1

Comprehensive Health

Computer Applications

English 1, grade 9

Football, grade 9

Term 3/ Semester 2

State Studies

Algebra I, grade 9-12

Football, grade 9

Term 4/ Semester 2

Intro to Theater Arts

Algebra I, grade 9-12

Football, grade 9

:001_huh: Wow-- My dd would love a schedule like that in 9th. Am I reading this right? 4 classes a term? With football being a class? :001_huh: Am I missing something?

It looks pretty typical for a freshman in PS here, too. I am not sure what "Science Skills and Reasoning" is and I wonder if it is a lower level science class. Most of the freshman here are on a college prep track and take biology but a some do take a lower-level, survery-type science class instead.

Football as a class seems fine, it's PE. It looks like they do 4 blocks instead of 8 classes a day, which is also nice. I always preferred less subjects in depth in college, and this resembles college more. It looks like a lot of fluff electives are being taken, though they may be graduation requirements (keyboarding, health, theater.) It doesn't look rigorous, and I don't see any foreign language. My freshman year I took English, PE, Biology plus lab, Spanish, some type of social studies, photography, and Algebra 1. This kid is not even taking any science, this is hardly college prep.

Athletics are scheduled as a class year round here also, no matter what season the sport played falls. The coaches expect to have their players in off-season and since they cannot practice outside of school time, then want them in class. In the bigger athletic programs, the coaches really don't even want their players in other sports so they can keep working through the off-season with a cohesive team. On block schedule, if a student were in athletics all four years, they would graduate with *8 CREDITS* of athletics.

25% of scheduled school time is spent playing football? And let's not kid ourselves here...classes like "comprehensive health," "keyboarding" and "computer applications" are all fluff. Everyone knows that those are the classes you take when you want to goof around and get an easy A just for showing up, unless this public school is radically different from the one I went to. I'd also be curious to know the specifics of some of the more traditional classes, e.g. the book list for English 1.

When will people realize that in a system that is at the bottom of the barrel, it's really not all that impressive to say that your kid is enrolled at the upper crust of that bottom of the barrel?

Athletics are scheduled as a class year round here also, no matter what season the sport played falls. The coaches expect to have their players in off-season and since they cannot practice outside of school time, then want them in class. In the bigger athletic programs, the coaches really don't even want their players in other sports so they can keep working through the off-season with a cohesive team. On block schedule, if a student were in athletics all four years, they would graduate with *8 CREDITS* of athletics.

When I lived in NY, PE was required every year, unlike the nonsense in FL of only 1 semester. I think doing PE every term makes total sense. We are more than our minds. ;) We wonder why kids are obese! :glare:

We have 2 years yet, but this is the plan for my dd freshman year

Math-- Geometry

Science- Apologia Biology with Labs (they have a lab kid)

English-- Applications in Grammer book 3 (undetermined if I am going to add anything to that. I will see where we are by then- possibly some meaningful composition)

Literature-- Still have to decide

History-- either Diana Waring OR Notgrass OR Trisms

Foreign Language- depending how latin and greek are going by then we will start spanish in addition to latin and french

Logic- still undecided what to do- she will have done fallacy detective and thinking toolbox before 9th grade

Vocabulary- vocabulary cartoons (either book 2 or 3, depending on where she is)

PE-Volleyball with the local PS. (possibly other sports by then also) and going to the local gym

Geography- Continuing with Trail Guides, She will do bible geography this year

Her choice of an elective

If I forgot anything I will add it... so ya, I would say that is a crazy light schedule! (but thats just me!)

We will be starting consumers/buisness math starting next summer- going through high school as well so she will get both higher level math and math skills she will need everyday

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

It sounds like block scheduling. Schools here were really into it, but I hear they are transitioning back to a traditional 6/7 subjects each day all school year.

And the football is likely a specialized PE class. Our district offers:

Intro, Intermediate, and Advanced levels of:

Team Sports

Lifetime Sports

Aerobic Dance

Physical Conditioning

Rhythmics and Dance

Track and Field

Weight Training

Body Sculpting

25% of scheduled school time is spent playing football? And let's not kid ourselves here...classes like "comprehensive health," "keyboarding" and "computer applications" are all fluff. ?

Typing and accounting were two of the most important courses I took during my high school years. I was not in the college prep track and needed business skills to get a decent job out of high school. And I could certainly use computer applications right now! My college uses MS Word and PowerPoint which I have NO clue how to use. I had to give a PowerPoint presentation and it took me 2 solid days (8 hrs each) in trying to figure out how to put it together. The youngsters in my class put there projects together the day or two before the presentation. I was embarrassed! I have every intention of my kids graduating high school with technology skills. I don't see them as fluff at all but key skills needed in today's society.

I don't think this is typical. My youngest brother was a freshman in high school last year, and this is what his year looked like: (his school is on a weird schedule, so they take fewer classes at a time but have three 'semesters' each year-and no, they don't call them trimesters)

Chemistry 1/2 and Biology 1

Health 1/2 and English 1

Spanish 3/4/5

Honors Algebra 3/4 and Precalculus A

and something else, I can't remember right now, but he had five classes each term

DD is going to be a freshmen this year in ps and here is what she is taking:

Currently she is in summer school taking PE1 so she can get it out of the way. There is also PE 2 which is required, but then that is it for pe classes. Each of these is 1 semester and most kids take them in the summer time.

This fall she will have:

English 9

World history and Geography

Biology

Algebra 1

Spanish 1

Speech

Intro to theater arts

My dd21 (now in college) had several courses that were required for elective credit that always seemed goofy to me. But, they had to fill in electives with something.

Not everyone wants to be a physicist...maybe this kid is very talented in football...maybe he's taking some easy courses to transition himself into high school...maybe we should not be condemning him and assuming he's a goof-off dumb jock without knowing his story...just sayin'

As a parent of an athlete that will be attending a Division 1 school and will be playing Division 1 sports in 2011 (yes, she already has a substantial scholarship offer and has committed), I felt some of your comments to be insulting.

Sorry, I just get tired of everyone always thinking athletes are thick and take the easy way...don't judge until you've walked in their shoes...or at least their parents' shoes.

Block scheduling is a type of academic scheduling in which each student has fewer classes per day for a longer period of time. This is intended to result in more time for teaching due to less class switching and preparation. It also allows for a student to take four electives, rather than two, or three.

I got that from Wikipedia. My dd hated that schedule. It's one of the reasons she wanted to leave high school and homeschool. They alternated by days, calling them Red days and Black days.

You might also be interested--

After reading so many different people's plans for scheduling their school years, I went to the local school district's web site to compare-just out of curiosity. Their first semester is only 16 1/2 weeks long, counting every half day and every day that some of the grades are in school and others are not. The second semester is still 18 weeks. They just chopped time off the beginning of the school year, because of the budget cuts.

We wonder why kids are obese! :glare:

School is for schooling. Not playing. And considering the fact that public school has traditionally allotted so much time for playing, wouldn't that counter your argument that it's somehow the cause for obesity?

The "obesity epidemic" is just bunk. The BMI standards were arbitrarily changed and thus, literally overnight Americans who were not obese the day before suddenly were at death's door. Fraudulent studies that purported obesity as a "leading cause of death" in anyone who happened to be overweight when they died (in car crashes or homicide or old age, no less) were bantered about by the news media to an unsuspecting public. Despite the new BMI standards that throw the "obesity net" over too many people, obesity has been declining in children (link). See this page for a critical look into the outrageous claims made about obesity (and who profits from them).

My DH runs 3.6 miles three times a week, benchpresses 340 pounds, does 80 push-ups per day, and 60 sit-ups per day (his career mandates staying fit). He is considered morbidly obese by the BMI standard. Not overweight, not even "just" obese -- morbidly obese. I exercise on an elliptical machine for an hour four times a week and stay active in general (intermittent trips to the swimming pool, nature hikes, etc.), but according to the BMI, I'm obese. Give me a break.

It is an outrage that anyone would claim that children's health is at stake here. Much less that it's children's health that's driving the athletics craze in schools. Athletics are driven by money and a selfish desire on the part of schooling institutions to simply shirk their responsibilities as educators. If a kid wants to play football or baseball, great! But don't make me, a taxpayer, fund his recreational activities. And don't place the responsibility to make people "healthy" on the government's shoulders, unless you take kindly to the idea of the government fining you or (anti-obesity groups have actually proposed this, believe it or not) deeming you an unfit parent whose kids might be taken away because you give them sugary drinks or candy.

...and so many of us are intimidated we won't do a good job with high school?

It looks kind of like they're trying to set up a college-like schedule. This would work well for some kids, but 1 semester of math? Really? I can see how dividing some classes up would make sense (English 1 semester and literature the next) but math?

School is for schooling. Not playing. And considering the fact that public school has traditionally allotted so much time for playing, wouldn't that counter your argument that it's somehow the cause for obesity?

The "obesity epidemic" is just bunk. The BMI standards were arbitrarily changed and thus, literally overnight Americans who were not obese the day before suddenly were at death's door. Fraudulent studies that purported obesity as a "leading cause of death" in anyone who happened to be overweight when they died (in car crashes or homicide or old age, no less) were bantered about by the news media to an unsuspecting public. Despite the new BMI standards that throw the "obesity net" over too many people, obesity has been declining in children (link). See this page for a critical look into the outrageous claims made about obesity (and who profits from them).

My DH runs 3.6 miles three times a week, benchpresses 340 pounds, does 80 push-ups per day, and 60 sit-ups per day (his career mandates staying fit). He is considered morbidly obese by the BMI standard. Not overweight, not even "just" obese -- morbidly obese. I exercise on an elliptical machine for an hour four times a week and stay active in general (intermittent trips to the swimming pool, nature hikes, etc.), but according to the BMI, I'm obese. Give me a break.

It is an outrage that anyone would claim that children's health is at stake here. Much less that it's children's health that's driving the athletics craze in schools. Athletics are driven by money and a selfish desire on the part of schooling institutions to simply shirk their responsibilities as educators. If a kid wants to play football or baseball, great! But don't make me, a taxpayer, fund his recreational activities. And don't place the responsibility to make people "healthy" on the government's shoulders, unless you take kindly to the idea of the government fining you or (anti-obesity groups have actually proposed this, believe it or not) deeming you an unfit parent whose kids might be taken away because you give them sugary drinks or candy.

Sorry, but playing outside in the younger years has been cut everywhere. I don't see how PE in high school should be gone. Shoot, without PE I lazed around like teens do. At any rate, while I don't think 25% of the day should be spent on PE, I believe omitting it entirely is a poor choice. One of the many reasons my kids aren't in school is lack of physical activity.

Oh, and I don't decide if someone is obese based on BMI. It doesn't take enough into account. Also, I don't see how I was accused of wanting the government to be responsible for my health, or that I was ok with being fined for being obese. That was quite a jump. Please don't put words in my mouth. PE was always included in school in the past, and has been cut just like Art and Music. Physical activity helps us all function better, including learning.

I think whether or not that schedule is appropriate really would depend a lot on how each course is taught. If they're taught well, the schedule could cover quite a lot. I would like to see math go all year, and I do think that football as a course all year isn't great and would very much prefer to see that as an extracurricular activity.

Here's what seems strange to me ...

English for only one semester? No English for the second half of the year?

Math for only one semester? No math for the first half of the year?

When you include summer break, that's a long time before you get to English or Math again.

Algebra I for grades 9-12? Why all four grades mixed in one class?

Is this schedule typical for this school for all students?

Is his schedule typical for football players?

Is it a special schedule designed to meet the needs of one student?

These was my dd's schedule last year at public school

Honors English

Geometry

Biology

Education in the Digital age

Fire(a required study skills class which is completed after semester 1 if GPA min. is meet)

Spanish

PE

Health (1st semester)

Geography(2nd semester)

All freshman are required to take 7 classes plus fire. Only differences in schedule would be PE choice, elective (Spanish in this case), and math. Of course some students take regular English instead of Honors. All freshman take Algebra or higher. If they aren't ready for Algebra, they attend a math class a few weeks before school starts, and they stay after school two days a week for extra help. Also, all teachers are available the first half of lunch for extra help.

Out of curiosity, I went to the website of what is considered "the best" government-run H.S. in the area. I was shocked to discover that English, science, and foreign language classes are not tracked until 11th. :eek: They do at least offer an honors track starting in 9th for math and 10th for history. No Latin is offered at all.

So the most rigorous schedule a freshman could have only offers a single honors course. :glare:

Students on the honors college prep track at my high school would have taken the following in 9th:

Honors English 9

Honors Geometry

Honors U.S. History 2

Honors Molecular Biology

Honors French/Spanish 2 (1A & 1B were taken in 7th & 8th)

PE/Health

Elective- most took Honors Latin 1 but some took a 2nd modern language, art, photography, band, drama, Computer-Assisted Drafting, etc.

My oldest will be a Junior next year at what's considered a top high school.

Her schedule is:

Pre-Calculus

US History

Foundations of Art 2 (1/2 year)

Sign Language 2 (1/2 year)

Health (1/4)

Honors English 3 - American Studies

Physics

Honors Latin 3

AP Biology

Physical Education (3 days a week, she gets excused one semester for being on a sports team).

Even as a freshman she was taking a math, science, history, health, PE, language and English.

I'm surprised that the originally posted schedule is so light.

Algebra I for grades 9-12? Why all four grades mixed in one class?

Like college courses, most high school classes are scheduled based on ability, not age/grade. I think this is the appropriate way for students to be placed. Age-matched peer groups make no sense, in my opinion.

And let's not kid ourselves here...classes like "comprehensive health," "keyboarding" and "computer applications" are all fluff. Everyone knows that those are the classes you take when you want to goof around and get an easy A just for showing up, unless this public school is radically different from the one I went to.

Here those classes are required and my kids hate them. They are a waste of time. This was my daughter's public school 9th grade schedule:

Pre-AP English I

Pre-AP Algebra I

Art I

Dance

Freshman Connections/Health

AP Human Geography

Latin I

Pre-AP Biology

And this was my junior's schedule this year:

AP English III

AP US History

AP Psychology

pre-AP pre-calculus

pre-AP Physics

German II

Speech/Sociology

Media Tech (met computer class requirement)

They have a block schedule with A days and B days so they don't go to every class every day.

There is no way that I could give my kids as good of an education at home. Unfortunately the vast majority of students at the school do not take advantage of the advanced classes. But they are there for anyone who wants to take them and the teacher's are outstanding. And this is at a school that is not highly rated based on test scores.

Susan in TX

...and so many of us are intimidated we won't do a good job with high school?

It looks kind of like they're trying to set up a college-like schedule. This would work well for some kids, but 1 semester of math? Really? I can see how dividing some classes up would make sense (English 1 semester and literature the next) but math?

:iagree:

Our local high school is also set up on a block schedule. The intent being that each semester a full year's curriculum is completed for each 2 term class (90 minute classes). Our eldest will be attending as a freshman this year, and half of his first semester is taken up with those graduation required "fluff" classes. We have intentionally focused on getting those particular credits out of the way so the academic subjects can follow uninterrupted. One of the biggest downsides to block scheduling is the large gaps that can occur in subjects that build upon one another...i.e. maths and foreign languages.

Our son's schedule (note that our school only allows 2 terms of P.E. per year):

1st term

Oral Communications (grad req)

P.E. (freshman req)

H. Eng 1

H. Geo

2nd term

Technology Applications (grad req)

Health (grad and freshman req)

H. Eng 1

H. Geo

3rd and 4th terms

H. Bio

H. Integrated Geo/Alg 2 (they need 3 terms to complete Geo and 3 to complete Alg 2)

Modern World History

French 1

Again, we decided to get all of the 1 term classes out of the way, so he wouldn't have a gap in his maths and foreign languages down the road. To each his own. I would have preferred the standard school schedule to the block, but one works with what one has.

Regards,

~Killian

Edited by Killian
clarification

Our school dropped the Block 4 scheduling since you could go a whole year with no math classes. My ds's Fall freshman semester looks like this

Honors Geometry

Honors English

World History

Career Planning (required for grad)

PE (required for grad)

German I

Honors Biology

He has made the soccer team but there is no credit for that thank goodness.

I consider it a full load but not undoable.

No Latin or logic classes are offered or I would have him take them.

Term 1 / Semester 1

Keyboarding

World Geography, Into

English 1, grade 9

Football, grade 9

Term 2/ Semester 1

Comprehensive Health

Computer Applications

English 1, grade 9

Football, grade 9

Term 3/ Semester 2

State Studies

Algebra I, grade 9-12

Football, grade 9

Term 4/ Semester 2

Intro to Theater Arts

Algebra I, grade 9-12

Football, grade 9

I think that this is a pretty light schedule. 25% of the time is football... I understand that it is a type of physical education, and I'd be okay with my child doing that instead of physical education BUT... 25% of the time?

Other than that... theater arts, keyboarding, computer applications? Seems like a lot of electives.

No history? I see World Geography and State Studies but... no history? Unless State Studies is the history of those States..

I wouldn't be happy if this was my child's schedule!

Okay really it looks pretty typical for a ps, even a "good" one. It's obviously block scheduling and it does not appear that this student is on a college track. The health and keyboarding is probably a combo class- like they used to do with drivers ed. Theater arts probably meets his VAPA (visual and performing arts) requirments, Geography/State studies is history, because most ps don't do an actual "history" class until 10th grade and then it's one year of World History. The years worth of PE is probably because he is on the school football team.

DD's 10th grade ps (also a top notch school) schedule was similar:

Term 1

Spanish I

English II

Agricultural Science

PE

Term II (before she came home)

Keyboarding/Drivers ED

Drawing (originally was supposed to be Biology but the counselor advised her that Ag was good enough for a life science-which it was, but not for the college track)

World History

Geometry

Edited by LunaLee

The public school for our neighborhood has block scheduling but with alternating "A" and "B" days so that there aren't gaps between school years.

My dd's private school has "phases" (ie tracks) of 1-5, with 5 being the highest. Her schedule last year was

English 1 (phase 5)

Geometry (5)

Biology (5)

World History (5)

French 1 (5)

freshman theology course (Old Testament) (5)

Acting 1 (her elective, unphased)

chorus (a second elective, unphased)

gym 2-3x per week (unphased)

health 2-3x per week (unphased)

freshman guidance (once/week)

Her 10th grade schedule:

English 2 (phase 5)

Alg 2/Trig (5)

Chemistry (5)

AP US History (5)

French 2 (5)

sophomore theology course (New Testament) (5)

Acting 2 (elective, unphased)

chorus (elective, unphased)

gym every day (unphased)

Drivers' Ed (hmmm, not sure how many days, unphased)

sophomore guidance (once/week)

That original schedule looks like it's meant for a kid not planning on going away to college. And it also looks like it's from Texas-----I have a friend with a daughter in the marching band and marching band is a class in the block schedule!

Edited by Luckymama

It sounds like block scheduling. Schools here were really into it, but I hear they are transitioning back to a traditional 6/7 subjects each day all school year.

When I got my education degree, one of the area high schools had just transitioned to doing A/B days. One of my instructors was a science teacher there.

One of the interesting, but unexpected, results was a drop in violent exchanges between students. They were hypothesizing that having fewer transition periods between classes meant that there were fewer opportunities for students to get into altercations. (This was back in the late 90's. I'm not sure if the observation held true.)

I like the idea of having A and B days, but I've never really understood the logic behind taking several months off from math or English each year. I don't think that students this age have the proficiency to support this approach.

Wait a minute....am I missing something? That can't be complete. Math half a year? Science half a year? And that is a public school. It just seems strange. I could see some private school doing half years like that, but I guess football is what is really important at that school.:tongue_smilie:

I'm still not sure what a "block schedule" is. I see 4 classes a day that change every term? A half term for all the major subjects? Are these 4 classes over an hour each? My dd is starting high school and has 10 periods a day. Apart from the performing arts part of it, it's very traditional. She has 4 periods of dance every morning, then lunch, then 5 periods of academics, which include: Algebra I, French, Living Environment, Global, & English. It stays that way all year. My oldest dd, who is about to be a senior, has a schedule that includes trigonometry, economics & government, astronomy & forensics, AP literature, Latin, PE, & yearbook.

DD is going to be a freshmen this year in ps and here is what she is taking:

Currently she is in summer school taking PE1 so she can get it out of the way. There is also PE 2 which is required, but then that is it for pe classes. Each of these is 1 semester and most kids take them in the summer time.

This fall she will have:

English 9

World history and Geography

Biology

Algebra 1

Spanish 1

Speech

Intro to theater arts

My oldest will be a Junior next year at what's considered a top high school.

Her schedule is:

Pre-Calculus

US History

Foundations of Art 2 (1/2 year)

Sign Language 2 (1/2 year)

Health (1/4)

Honors English 3 - American Studies

Physics

Honors Latin 3

AP Biology

Physical Education (3 days a week, she gets excused one semester for being on a sports team).

Even as a freshman she was taking a math, science, history, health, PE, language and English.

I'm surprised that the originally posted schedule is so light.

These sound more familiar to what I had in public high school in the honors track, and I think this is basically what the general track was as well. We had two humanities classes available in Jr and Sr year as well. Our computer class though was on Apple IIe's, so they were fairly useless!

I have no idea what my childhood district does now, but the fact that the brother to my brother-in-law teaches english there now and is a blockhead kind of worries me.

Here is a sample schedule from my school district. Very different than yours.

1 (M-F) --> French 3 Acc

2 (M-T, R-F) --> Phys Ed Health Q2

2 (M-T, R-F) --> Physical Education Q4

2 (T-F) --> Physical Education Q1

2 (T-F) --> Physical Education Q3

3 (M-F) --> Intro to Chem & Physics CPA

4 (M-F) --> Art 1 (Honors) Acc

5 (M-F) --> Geometry CPA

6 (M-F) --> World History CPA

7 (M-F) --> English 9 Acc

8 (M-F) - Italian 1 Acc

Acc=accelerated

CPA-college Prep A (aka regular college prep class)

it's not just one semester of math or science or english...the students go to class for double the time...they put in the time just in one semester.

My dd had block sheduling...she had 4 classes a semester...and yes, each semester there was athletics...so 3 classes a semester were "real" classes.

How is that different than having 7 classes all year long???