Menu

We eliminated $18,000 in debt yesterday!

:party: No, this isn't some spam or scam post. I have been on a "OMG! I just got rid of $18,000 of debt" high since yesterday.

I posted a little while ago about trading in our cars for models we could afford outright. Well, yesterday, we did it! We started out by selling dh's truck for only $1000 less than what we bought it for 2 years ago. UH-MAY-ZING!! We had been researching for weeks, We knew what we should get for his car, my car, what to buy, etc. Well, right next door to where we sold dh's truck was the perfect car I had been researching! I'd been looking for a good-great condition Jeep Cherokee with <90,000 miles. I found a 2000 Cherokee with 78,000 miles in pristine condition, clean title, no mechanical problems, and the most awesomest FLAME RED!!! It drives like a dream. I needed and SUV 4X4. We live on gravel/mud/dirt/slush/almost 5 ft snow drifts. My gal can plow through all of those. And the praice! The PRICE!!! Again, UH-MAY-ZING!!! Cash, baby!! (Not actual bills, but, well, you know) We thought, while we are at the dealership, we'll see what we can get for my car (An Acura MDX). We got what we wanted! So, we left my old Acura at the dealership and drove off in my BEAST of a vehicle. My Cherokee that will not be intimidated by snow, mud, or gravel, and actually has LESS miles than my old Acura!

Dh had been looking for an older-model Toyota 4runner. He really, really liked the early-to-mid 90's body style. Well, we found one in great condition by a private seller. Again, clean title, just a lot of mile. But hey, it's a Toyota (pre-gas pedal crisis). Those things run forever. Again, CHEAP!!!. Dh is in heaven. He's wanted that body-style 4runner since I was pg with my ds over 7 years ago.

So, we traded in our two cars and got two other cars for the amount we recieved after payoff of dh's truck! We still have cash left over from the sale of my old car.We still have two reliable cars that are 4X4. Dh's 4runner has a hitch, so with the cash left over we can purchase a trailer and haul anything we need ans STILL have cash left to register our cars in Nebraska (which has the MOST expensive registration fees EVER!! And I've lived in CA and NY! Booo NE!).

I am exstatic! We can now focus on paying off our student loans, which are the biggest loans we have outside our mortgage (which we already pay extra on every month). We can be debt-free, excepting our mortgage, in no time. We can use that money to travel, or, as a good homeschool mom, on books. I just had to share my joy with everyone. $18,000 GONE!!!! Wooohooo!

Keep the Cherokee! Great cars. We drive nothing but Jeeps now, Cherokee & Comanche.

Forget about the Toyota 4-Runner SR5. I don't know about other models.

We had one of those because dh loved the body style. Worst car we ever owned. My old 1985 Volvo (before I got the Jeep) was less often in the shop than the 4-Runner. I had to replace the Volvo with a 4-wheel drive because of the road (dirt) and mainly snow & ice in winter.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Congratulations! That is awesome news :D

We have a car loan we're hammering down (will never make that mistake again!) which will soon leave us with just our mortgage which we pay extra on too. Right there with you looking forward to debt freedom. :D

Congratulations, Wendi! I'm *SO* happy for you!!! That's WONDERFUL!!!!!

My brother has a Jeep Cherokee. It's got something like 240k or 270k miles on it. He keeps repairing it when necessary, but the transmission and engine are still fine. I hope you get the same mileage out of yours!!!

Congratulations! I can hear the excitement in your post. Doing the happy dane here with you.

Cindy

Me, too! Wendi, your post is just gushing, and with good reason!! A heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS, and a big JOB WELL DONE to you! :D

Woo-hoo!! :party:

I can almost hear you snarling as you get ready to attack those student loans! :lol::lol::lol:

:party:So happy for you! We went debt free (except the house) about 4 years ago. It is such a great feeling. My dh's truck died back in January and would cost too much to fix it. He seriously thought about taking out a loan to get a decent truck (it's our family vehicle) because they were just too pricey for us. We only had x amount in savings to spend. After talking about loan payments he decided we just were not going to do it. Shortly after he found a vehicle that was listed for 1200 dollars more than we had and asked them to drop it down to what we had and include tax, title, and liscense in the price. They said no, but he finally got them talked down to $300 dollars more than what we had (this was a dealership too). We drove around for a while and figured out where we could pull the $300 from (We just had to delay something else for a month) We got the truck home and looked up the book value and it booked for 2700 more than we paid for it! God is good! I think he honored Dh's decision to not take out that loan with a great truck at a great price!

You can do those student loans! Just remember to put something away for emergencies because you will have them.

Great job! Just think what you can do with that $500 a month that you didn't have before!

One chunk towards the student loans

One chunk towards general long term savings

One chunk towards 'car savings' - funds which are to be used for repair of these older vehicles &/or towards saving cash for purchase of another vehicle years down the road - this time for cash.

:D

congrats on getting rid of car debt!!!!