Menu

Constant canker sores in ds' mouth--help my brainstorm why?

I am concerned because ds is prone to canker sores in his mouth, and currently has two big ones that are driving him nuts. He does seem to have them quite a bit, and I am now wondering if I should be concerned about some underlying issue.

He is milk intolerant, chronically slightly anemic (as am I), and low in vitamin D (as am I).

He had a mild heart arrhythmia as a baby but grew out of it by age 5 and is no longer in the care of a cardiologist.

He is extremely athletic and active, with tons of energy and an unbelievably insatiable appetite.

I too tend to get cold sores, but it seems that he is getting them more than I do.

Should I worry or relax?

Thanks.

Does he get them other places than his mouth? How do you typically treat them and does it work?

There are other things that look like canker sores.

I get blisters in mouth that look like canker sores when I eat melon and some fruits. It is an allerigc reaction kind of like hives. I also have that reaction after some types of toothpaste but that is more cummulative instead of immediate reaction.

My son had them often and my pediatric dentist recommended SLS-free toothpaste. This has worked great! The drawback is that the toothpaste costs more than toothpaste ought and I have to go to a natural-foods specialty store to get it. But I don't think he has had even one sore in the year or more since I switched toothpastes.

I've heard they are different than cold sores--i.e., not caused by herpes.

Here's a list of causes from a link:

Canker Sore Causes

No one knows what causes canker sores. The vast majority of people who develop canker sores do not have another problem as the cause.

•The disease is suspected to result from a reaction of the immune system.

•Additional causative factors may include the following:

◦bacterial infections

◦hormonal disorders

◦stress

◦trauma

◦heredity

◦drugs (including anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, and beta-blockers, such as atenolol)

◦food allergies or sensitivities (chocolate, tomatoes, nuts, and acidic foods such as pineapple)

◦toothpastes containing sodium lauryl sulfate

◦deficiencies of iron, folic acid, or vitamin B12

•Some studies have suggested an association with Helicobacter pylori, the same bacteria that cause peptic ulcers.

•Recurrent canker sores have been associated with inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis. In these cases, the development of canker sores may signal a flare-up of the bowel disease.

•Celiac, or abdominal, sprue, a disease of the intestines caused by sensitivity to gluten, causes malabsorption and is associated with development of canker sores. Gluten refers to a group of proteins found in wheat, barley, and rye.

I had no idea gluten sensitivity could cause them.

I'd suggest you keep a food log of what he eats to see if it's a food allergery. My dd had them and they disappeared when we eliminated tomatoes.

:iagree:

Also, I wonder if celiac can cause canker sores? I'll ask my bff who has celiac.

SLS-free toothpaste. This has worked great! The drawback is that the toothpaste costs more than toothpaste ought and I have to go to a natural-foods specialty store to get it.

:iagree: Rembrandt toothpaste also makes a canker sore version w/o SLS. Walgreens is the only store I have found that carries it. Recently, I've also been using a hydrogen peroxide rinse when I have canker sores. It is mint flavored and in the toothpaste aisle. I've used both the OraJel and Colgate brands, and they take the pain right out. They also heal the sores past the point of pain in about a day.

It makes me willing to enjoy summer tomatoes and fresh pineapple!

I had this problem and it turned out to be H.Pylori.

I was treated with an unbelievable amount of antibiotics and medicines to coat my stomach and haven't had another one in years.

The test was a simple finger stick in the office and I knew the results in minutes. It might be worth asking your doctor.

I used to have a lot of problems with this. I agree first with finding triggers, which mine seems to be chocolate. I usually get a couple after Easter. :glare:

A doctor once recommended Lactinex, which is a specific type of pro-biotic combination. You generally get this behind the pharmacy counter, though it doesn't require a prescription. Usually, this brand must be refrigerated because it contains live microorganisms.

It is most effective right at the beginning of a breakout, before they ulcerate. Once they really take hold, it won't be as effective, but taken regularly it would catch them before noticed. Mine rarely get big if I catch them and take this right away.

I have also found plain yogurt, just left to sit in the mouth for a bit, or at least coat it, has some benefit - again at the onset when one is suspected.

A 50/50 mixture of Maalox and liquid Benadryl put directly on the sores will bring temporary relief.

Don't know if it actually works but....I once received an e-mail about the many uses of Hydorgen Peroxide. It stated that if you swoosh a capful around in your mouth for 10 min daily and then spit it out, you'll have no more canker sores and whiter teeth.

I get blisters in mouth that look like canker sores when I eat melon and some fruits. It is an allerigc reaction kind of like hives. I also have that reaction after some types of toothpaste but that is more cummulative instead of immediate reaction.

Since switching to a toothpaste that does not contain a foaming agent, I have have almost completely eliminated my canker sores (I used to have at least one all the time). I use Tom's of Maine, but there are others... I just can't think of them right now. Now, the only times I get canker sores are after eating fresh pineapple, after a long period of insomnia, or when I have a virus. And I am willing to suffer a canker sore or two for fresh pineapple. Yum! :D

Thanks! Nathan gets them too, and I think it is the toothpaste that bothers him. He hasn't had them lately, though.

:iagree: Rembrandt toothpaste also makes a canker sore version w/o SLS. Walgreens is the only store I have found that carries it. Recently, I've also been using a hydrogen peroxide rinse when I have canker sores. It is mint flavored and in the toothpaste aisle. I've used both the OraJel and Colgate brands, and they take the pain right out. They also heal the sores past the point of pain in about a day.

It makes me willing to enjoy summer tomatoes and fresh pineapple!

My son had them often and my pediatric dentist recommended SLS-free toothpaste. This has worked great! The drawback is that the toothpaste costs more than toothpaste ought and I have to go to a natural-foods specialty store to get it. But I don't think he has had even one sore in the year or more since I switched toothpastes.

What's the name of the toothpaste? I have a ds who gets them all the time, too.

Also, I wonder if celiac can cause canker sores? I'll ask my bff who has celiac.

Ok...BFF says it can definitely be celiac. Of course, it could be other things, too, but yes, celiac is a possibility. She also says that many celiacs are allergic to dairy; if you haven't had your ds tested for celiac, it might be a good idea to do so (although it can take a loooooong time to be diagnosed).

I use to get them quite often. For me it was due to eating acidic foods.

I have found orange juice, tomatoes and too much of anything tomato based to be problematic. I don't usually eat many lemons or limes, but lemonade/limeade is also a no-no. I drink soda quite a bit, but it doesn't seem to cause them.

Growing up I used to put alum on them. It would burn like crazy, but it drew the skin together and seemed to help them to heal faster. I wouldn't recommend it though. I don't even know where you would get something like that nowadays.

Yes, because both conditions are related to your immune system.

I only get canker sores when something is terribly wrong with my immune system. I had a whole mouthful after my surgery this year. Check on allergies. They might not be directly related (the food may not be CAUSING the sores), but it may be because his immune system is overloaded by an allergy and he can't fight the other stuff.

:grouphug:

to your little one,

Dorinda

Oh, and I always use Campho phenique (liquid) on them. Dip a q-tip in it and touch it directly to the sore. And, I always buy a baby toothbrush and baby toothpaste to use while I have them. Dr said toothpaste is the WORST thing for Canker sores, as is the big, germy toothbrush. Throw his out, buy a baby set and throw that out when they're gone. Another recommendation is swish with Hydrogen peroxide. Nasty, but works.

:001_smile:

Since switching to a toothpaste that does not contain a foaming agent, I have have almost completely eliminated my canker sores (I used to have at least one all the time). I use Tom's of Maine, but there are others... I just can't think of them right now. Now, the only times I get canker sores are after eating fresh pineapple, after a long period of insomnia, or when I have a virus. And I am willing to suffer a canker sore or two for fresh pineapple. Yum! :D

Wow, this is pretty much exactly the same as me! I use "Kiss My Face" toothpaste which I buy at Wegman's, since Dr. Burt stopped making the lavender one I used to use. Just as long as it has no sodium laurel sulfate. That's the foaming agent that is so irritating.

My daughter would get them so bad that she would not eat for days. We use a toothpaste we get from Trader Joe's- it is their store brand and it has helped so very much. She will still get one every once in a while but not a mouthful and not as often.

The toothpaste is different because it does not "suds up" like the toothpaste with SLS. I have actually grown to like it better than the others.