Menu

What are you doing to BEAT the heat?

I totally realize that many parts of the world are accustomed to 100+ degree F temps, but here in northern Virginia, while it does happen, more than two days of it at a time, is not that typical. And my joke about "let's put the 'northern' back in northern Virginia" well, isn't as funny as it was a couple of days ago.

So, what have you done or are you doing to keep cool? DS9 would likely develop a wheeze if I didn't heed these temps, so we are indoors, the a/c is, of course, running, and we are limiting or totally just not going outdoors. Yesterday and Sunday we were in the pool all day but all three were taking Mucinex last night b/c the chlorine in the pool and the heat will bother them.

Today, we went to Wegman's to buy all sorts of fruits for snacks while we are indoors. I am using the crock pot to cook dinner, and I've explained to them the importance of keeping drapes closed and lights out so the house will stay somewhat cool.

So, what are you doing?:confused:

Trying to keep the lights out and not cook...we are also running fans and if we can't stand it, a window air conditioner just to get a little of the humidity out. Dh my buy a de-humidifier.

I am serving cold foods and very icy cold drinks. We keep the ice trays filled and I've heard, though I've never tried it, that one can get a bag of ice (like you would get to fill a cooler) and just leave it in a cooler with the top open and as it melts it will help cool a room. I've never, ever tried this so it might be an old wives tale.

I'm keeping my hair pulled back and wearing only a tank top and shorts but I am not looking forward to leaving to do farm chores (92 degrees 98% humidity) because I'll have to put on jeans, a heavier shirt, and barn boots. UGH!!!!! We'll probably hose the horses down before putting them away...this really helps cool them for the night.

The kids have a 30" deep by 12 ft. diameter blow-up pool in the yard. We've been going out in the late afternoon when the sun isn't directly overhead and taking the plunge. If the water seems warm and un-refreshing, we add a little cold hose water.

We like to make "lemonade" ice cubes and then suck on them throughout the day. Very soothing.

Faith

Taking in fewer calories and more water.

Limiting the physical work to the earliest hours possible, and parking in front of a fan or jumping in the pool after that.

Running the washing machine (or anything putting off heat) only during the very earliest or latest hours to help keep heat out of the house.

I haven't used the crockpot lately, but in hot weather, I plug it in out on the porch.

I don't have much advice to add--I had an aunt who'd make a point of hanging out at public places during the day to save electricity when she couldn't afford a/c--

but I have to say, in hot places, I find summer SO much more depressing than winter. Maybe the light is bleak in winter, but at least you can open your blinds to SEE it w/out being blasted by super-nuclear heat waves.

That is all. Just sympathy for dark houses trying to keep cool.

We're keeping the blinds closed and I turned on the air conditioner. We don't have a pool membership this year so we haven't been to the pool at all. DS has taken over the basement and hangs out down there. It's about 10 degrees cooler and he can work on his 4H projects in comfort.

We are trying to stay indoors and out of the sun for most of the day.

I am lamenting the 30 Day No Sugar Challange today because a nice cold glass of lemonade would be delicious.

Sweltering. Miserably. With lots of whining.

Oh, did you mean what productive things am I doing?

Hmmmm. Nope. Nothing productive. :D

I'm with you--blinds upstairs are closed. Fans and A/C are running. We'll have chicken on the (gas not charcoal) grill and rice in the rice cooker for dinner. We've been doing lots of smoothies with frozen fruit to stay cool, but even that's getting old. And to "one up" you, our county had a water restriction all weekend, so even splashing about in a kiddie pool or turning on the hose was a no-go. But then again, my sinuses can't take much of the outdoors right now anyway, so maybe that's a moot point.

We tried the library today, but we were not the only people who had that idea, and my children were even whinier than I was when we had to walk what felt like miles carrying our books back to the car. :lol: Ah, the drama!

But, but, the forecast calls for a high of 87 in just a few days, so there'll be relief soon, right? Right?

P.S., loving your put the north back in Northern Virginia, by the way.

I can't go outside either in the heat and I live in New England so unfortunately during the summer, heat waves of 100+ are normal. All this week will be between 95-102.

We keep the drapes closed and lights off. We open all doors except bathroom and the unused bedroom door to circulate the air. We have our a/c's on. There is one in my room, one in my parents' room, and one in the dining room and the air stays somewhat circulated.

I read a lot during heat waves. I knit. Watch movies. Just relax because my asthma and allergies make a lot of movement (standing and sitting constantly) unbearable. Board games are great too.

Also, going to the library is great during heat waves. The downstairs part of our library has a/c. The second and third floor don't, but they have industrial sized fans. Plus, no one is there :)

Edited by BeatleMania

Sweltering. Miserably. With lots of whining.

Oh, did you mean what productive things am I doing?

Hmmmm. Nope. Nothing productive. :D

I'm with you--blinds upstairs are closed. Fans and A/C are running. We'll have chicken on the (gas not charcoal) grill and rice in the rice cooker for dinner. We've been doing lots of smoothies with frozen fruit to stay cool, but even that's getting old. And to "one up" you, our county had a water restriction all weekend, so even splashing about in a kiddie pool or turning on the hose was a no-go. But then again, my sinuses can't take much of the outdoors right now anyway, so maybe that's a moot point.

We tried the library today, but we were not the only people who had that idea, and my children were even whinier than I was when we had to walk what felt like miles carrying our books back to the car. :lol: Ah, the drama!

But, but, the forecast calls for a high of 87 in just a few days, so there'll be relief soon, right? Right?

P.S., loving your put the north back in Northern Virginia, by the way.

Comment to yours in red: I heard that on the news over the weekend. We had checked back into our 'hotel' to avoid the noise of neighbors firecrackers, music, etc and BIG BONUS: TELEVISION! We did not get cable when we moved back home in February. It was a treat :tongue_smilie: to watch the news - the meteorologist on Fox is pg, isn't she? And, when I heard about your water restrictions, I feared that Va will not be far behind.

I can't go outside either in the heat and I live in New England so unfortunately during the summer, heat waves of 100+ are normal. All this week will be between 95-102.

We keep the drapes closed and lights off. We open all doors except bathroom and the unused bedroom door to circulate the air. We have our a/c's on. There is one in my room, one in my parents' room, and one in the dining room and the air stays somewhat circulated.

I read a lot during heat waves. I knit. Watch movies. Just relax because my asthma and allergies make a lot of movement (standing and sitting constantly) unbearable. Board games are great too.

I recall checking my two dds into sleep away camp in Wolfeboro, NH in, let's see, 1986 or 1987, and it was SO hot, the sweat was dripping in my eyes as I put the sheets on their bunks. It gets SO hot there!

AC and jumping in the pool.

Totally worked for me over the weekend.

My older dd (turns 30 on Saturday) COULD NOT BELIEVE that I was in the pool and it is only the beginning of July. Usually takes till Labor Day for me to decide I am warm enough to get in the water.;)

Trying to keep the lights out and not cook...we are also running fans and if we can't stand it, a window air conditioner just to get a little of the humidity out. Dh my buy a de-humidifier.

I am serving cold foods and very icy cold drinks. We keep the ice trays filled and I've heard, though I've never tried it, that one can get a bag of ice (like you would get to fill a cooler) and just leave it in a cooler with the top open and as it melts it will help cool a room. I've never, ever tried this so it might be an old wives tale.

I'm keeping my hair pulled back and wearing only a tank top and shorts but I am not looking forward to leaving to do farm chores (92 degrees 98% humidity) because I'll have to put on jeans, a heavier shirt, and barn boots. UGH!!!!! We'll probably hose the horses down before putting them away...this really helps cool them for the night.

The kids have a 30" deep by 12 ft. diameter blow-up pool in the yard. We've been going out in the late afternoon when the sun isn't directly overhead and taking the plunge. If the water seems warm and un-refreshing, we add a little cold hose water.

We like to make "lemonade" ice cubes and then suck on them throughout the day. Very soothing.

Faith

I have the a/c on but I do not know what I would do without FANS! I need to feel the air move. My guys are waiting for grapes to freeze -- my sister taught them that a couple of years ago and they love it.:001_smile:

Taking in fewer calories and more water.

Limiting the physical work to the earliest hours possible, and parking in front of a fan or jumping in the pool after that.

Running the washing machine (or anything putting off heat) only during the very earliest or latest hours to help keep heat out of the house.

I haven't used the crockpot lately, but in hot weather, I plug it in out on the porch.[/QUOTE]

THAT is an excellent idea!:)

I don't have much advice to add--I had an aunt who'd make a point of hanging out at public places during the day to save electricity when she couldn't afford a/c--

but I have to say, in hot places, I find summer SO much more depressing than winter. Maybe the light is bleak in winter, but at least you can open your blinds to SEE it w/out being blasted by super-nuclear heat waves.

That is all. Just sympathy for dark houses trying to keep cool.

Totally agree with your aunt's method.

I cannot imagine it being hotter than it is here, though, I know it is.......I'm just a whiney baby about it.

My kids are waiting for grapes to freeze - a trick my sister taught them a couple of years ago. They love it.

AC and jumping in the pool.

:iagree:

I would love for summer to be 70-75 degrees and no humidity but I guess I will have to move out of North Carolina for that to happen. Seems like the northeast doesn't even get summers like that anymore. Stay cool everyone!

Shannon in NC

We're keeping the blinds closed and I turned on the air conditioner. We don't have a pool membership this year so we haven't been to the pool at all. DS has taken over the basement and hangs out down there. It's about 10 degrees cooler and he can work on his 4H projects in comfort.

We are trying to stay indoors and out of the sun for most of the day.

I am lamenting the 30 Day No Sugar Challange today because a nice cold glass of lemonade would be delicious.

Can you eat grapes? Frozen grapes are a favorite treat around here. And, yes, like your DS, my three are all on the lower level watching a dvd........and, I'm letting them :lol:.

I'm sitting here trying not to stress over the conference this weekend, and trying not to eat my liver over it.:D

I hate hate hate a dark house. I love the sun shining in the window. I know I shouldn't do it, but I HATE a dark house.

I'm not so sure it makes that big of a difference. That's what I tell myself.

I wonder what the difference is (in electrical use) between cooling the house from the sun light getting in and heating it, and using those squiggly light bulbs to keep the house lit. I think the light bulbs use less electricity for us, because the back of our house (where most of the windows are) is where the sun is shining on us ALL afternoon until sundown. I finally put aluminum foil up in the kitchen windows this weekend, and may do it in the bedrooms too, and half of the sliding glass door.

:iagree:

I would love for summer to be 70-75 degrees and no humidity but I guess I will have to move out of North Carolina for that to happen. Seems like the northeast doesn't even get summers like that anymore. Stay cool everyone!

Shannon in NC

I think we would have to move to San Diego for that. :D

I hate hate hate a dark house. I love the sun shining in the window. I know I shouldn't do it, but I HATE a dark house.

I'm not so sure it makes that big of a difference. That's what I tell myself.

I guess it depends on where the sun comes into the house (a.m. sun, p.m. sun). We owned one home with a southern exposure - late afternoon sun. the back yard and deck were like a radiation pit. We spent money on window treatments to keep the sun out of the kitchen, mudroom and family room. Another house, the kitchen, family room and mud room were flooded in a.m. light -- same thing -- needed window tx to block that out.

I wonder the same thing -- maybe we are just making it DARK AND HOT.:001_huh:

Drapes closed and lights out here, too. Also cranking the AC units. We are scheduled to get new AC and heating units this Thursday and Friday but I don't know how they're going to do it if this heat persists.....

We had our a/c die a couple of houses ago during a heat wave. dh went out to Home Depot and put window units in the bedrooms so at least we could sleep somewhat peacefully. I feel for you.

I wonder what the difference is (in electrical use) between cooling the house from the sun light getting in and heating it, and using those squiggly light bulbs to keep the house lit. I think the light bulbs use less electricity for us, because the back of our house (where most of the windows are) is where the sun is shining on us ALL afternoon until sundown. I finally put aluminum foil up in the kitchen windows this weekend, and may do it in the bedrooms too, and half of the sliding glass door.

I wonder alot about the stuff we do to save money on utility bills -- tinting windows, insulated window treatments, etc. I like the aluminum foil idea.

We don't get this weather for very long - usually. We have a window A/C in the living room and fan into the kitchen. Think old farm house divided into two rooms. And, drum roll, another unit installed last night into our bedroom! I may sleep again, hot flashes and hot weather and all! :D Otherwise we head over to the river for a swim.

My husband GRILLED MEAT yesterday (5th), he was so adamant about cooking on fire, LOL. He was a smoky, sweaty, mesquite-smelling mess -- but, man, was that meat good. ;) He took a shower, and we ate it!

Today, my oldest did her school work in the a.m., then went to my parents' house to hang out without the twin sisters all day. Decompression time, KWIM?

Then I took the 3.5 year olds to the library, then to the park -- well, that lasted about 30 minutes. My plan for getting rid of their exuberant energy has been to run them around OUTSIDE, but that's not really working lately. The park was so hot, the swings were too hot, the slides were too hot, even the trails were hot (no shade). We came home, had lunch, and they are just now waking up from nap.

IF it would cool down into the 90s, we would be outside, splashing in the little kiddie pool. Last week I made large blocks of ice in our freezer. The girls had FUN playing with that ice, watching it melt, making their hands cold.

I agree, it's just plain HOT here. I do think it's a nice, dry heat, though. At least, where we are it has not been too humid. I worry more about my parents than I do about the kids -- 78 and 74 -- but too stubborn sometimes to get out of the heat. :glare:

Edited by Sahamamama

fans in windows (Facing IN) when temperature starts to break at sundown...

drapes closed in daytime.

NO cooking after 6:00am. cold cereal for lunch?

We have no A/C. Old farmhouse w/ plaster walls stays below 100 F downstairs, even today (96 in shade). 2nd floor feels like 300 F. We all might sleep downstairs in Living room tonite.

slow down the pace, drink a lot of water. Re-water the livestock 2-3 times per day.

Accept the fact that no-one is going to sleep well, so napping is good.

AND thank the Good Lord that I am NOT making hay today, or tomorrow, or at all this week!

But DW loathes the cold we got last winter (-18 F actual a couple of times), so there is no complaining ALLOWED about the heat at our house. The DC's are really good sports too...they almost look forward to the extremes in weather, so they can feel 'tough' and 'pioneering.'

My husband GRILLED MEAT yesterday (5th), he was so adamant about cooking on fire, LOL. He was a smoky, sweaty mess -- but, man, was that meat good. ;) He took a shower, and we ate it!

Today, my oldest did her school work in the a.m., then went to my parents' house to hang out without the twin sisters all day. Decompression time, KWIM?

Then I took the 3.5 year olds to the library, then to the park -- well, that lasted about 30 minutes. My plan for getting rid of their exuberant energy has been to run them around OUTSIDE, but that's not really working lately. The park was so hot, the swings were too hot, the slides were too hot, even the trails were hot (no shade). We came home, had lunch, and they are just now waking up from nap.

IF it would cool down into the 90s, we would be outside, splashing in the little kiddie pool. Last week I made large blocks of ice in our freezer. The girls had FUN playing with that ice, watching it melt, making their hands cold.

I agree, it's just plain HOT here. I do think it's a nice, dry heat, though. At least, where we are it has not been too humid. I worry more about my parents than I do about the kids -- 78 and 74 -- but too stubborn sometimes to get out of the heat. :glare:

I grew up in NJ - lived there until coming to Va 9 years ago. This heat reminds me of the heat when I was growing up. yeah, if it would cool down to the 90s here, I might actually LOOK outside and see what is going on.:lol:

I'm cooling down from the splashing which is going on as I spray down my animals to keep from losing another. :glare: Seriously, I moved from CA to NH and I have to say that I no longer like summer. Too many bugs, TOO MUCH HUMIDITY. I absolutely LOVE fall and winter. The cool air is so invigorating. Being outside in this sweltering heat tires me. I do NOT like it AT ALL. I am longing for my down vest and boots. I'm craving a good long walk, one not involving deer flies and dripping sweat. :ack2:

Other than the back splash of the hose, we're going in the pool and cranking up the a/c inside.

Two more months to go. ;)

We don't get this weather for very long - usually. We have a window A/C in the living room and fan into the kitchen. Think old farm house divided into two rooms. And, drum roll, another unit installed last night into our bedroom! I may sleep again, hot flashes and hot weather and all! :D Otherwise we head over to the river for a swim.

You have a RIVER? :toetap05: I don't even know where the hose hooks up to the house.:tongue_smilie:

I'm cooling down from the splashing which is going on as I spray down my animals to keep from losing another. :glare: Seriously, I moved from CA to NH and I have to say that I no longer like summer. Too many bugs, TOO MUCH HUMIDITY. I absolutely LOVE fall and winter. The cool air is so invigorating. Being outside in this sweltering heat tires me. I do NOT like it AT ALL. I am longing for my down vest and boots. I'm craving a good long walk, one not involving deer flies and dripping sweat. :ack2:

Other than the back splash of the hose, we're going in the pool and cranking up the a/c inside.

Two more months to go. ;)

Denise, I would hold off on the down vest and boots for right now, ok?;)

When my girls were at sleepaway camp in NH, one summer they wrote and told me they were 'swimming in sweat.' Isn't that nice?:D

fans in windows (Facing IN) when temperature starts to break at sundown...

drapes closed in daytime.

NO cooking after 6:00am. cold cereal for lunch?

We have no A/C. Old farmhouse w/ plaster walls stays below 100 F downstairs, even today (96 in shade). 2nd floor feels like 300 F. We all might sleep downstairs in Living room tonite.

slow down the pace, drink a lot of water. Re-water the livestock 2-3 times per day.

Accept the fact that no-one is going to sleep well, so napping is good.

AND thank the Good Lord that I am NOT making hay today, or tomorrow, or at all this week!

But DW loathes the cold we got last winter (-18 F actual a couple of times), so there is no complaining ALLOWED about the heat at our house. The DC's are really good sports too...they almost look forward to the extremes in weather, so they can feel 'tough' and 'pioneering.'

I like that no cooking after 6am one. I could go months without cooking - these guys didn't get up till 9am! :lol::lol:

I give all you folks who go out in this heat and take care of their animals alot of credit - truly!

When things get really bad here (F100 is normal here for most of July & August minus the humidity), we soak hand towels in cold water, roll them up and lay them around our necks.

Don't just drink plain water but add a spritz of lemon juice or Kombucha to add enzymes and electrolytes. Close up the house early in the morning after windows were opened at night (if you have some relief at night), and don't open anything until outside temps are lower - here this happens around 9 p.m.

Other than that, flee to the Pacific Northwest!

When things get really bad here (F100 is normal here for most of July & August minus the humidity), we soak hand towels in cold water, roll them up and lay them around our necks.

Don't just drink plain water but add a spritz of lemon juice or Kombucha to add enzymes and electrolytes. Close up the house early in the morning after windows were opened at night (if you have some relief at night), and don't open anything until outside temps are lower - here this happens around 9 p.m.

Other than that, flee to the Pacific Northwest!

I HATE not having a window open at night when I am sleeping. But, this is the one time of the year when I will keep the window closed. Fleeing, unfortunately, is not an option.

I am feeling a bit guilty for saying this but...... I don't think it's so bad. I am always cold, and right now I am not. We are drinking lots of fluids, I have the drapes closed, and we used a fan for sleeping last night. We do have a window a/c unit in storage, but it really doesn't do much imo. DH may end up pulling it out later this week, but I doubt it. I cooked late last night, took a walk and got the housework done early, and have been lounging with a cold drink since then. But then again, I have to carry a sweater with me all summer because I think stores are too cold with the a/c on.

We finally tinted our skylight yesterday (stupid skylight right over the bed.) It made a big difference in the temp in our bedroom. Drapes closed and A/C on, but not too low. They're worried about brown-outs here in the NE. It was 101* in Hartford today. :tongue_smilie: Too hot to swim; ironic, eh?

We finally tinted our skylight yesterday (stupid skylight right over the bed.) It made a big difference in the temp in our bedroom. Drapes closed and A/C on, but not too low. They're worried about brown-outs here in the NE. It was 101* in Hartford today. :tongue_smilie: Too hot to swim; ironic, eh?

Yikes - 101 in Hartford??!!!!!! (we moved from there 5 years ago)

We just stay indoors in the A/C here in Alabama. It's kinda like the winter used to be in CT - stay indoors, in the A/C, then see the neighbors again in the fall.

Actually, I'm embarrassed to admit it's really not all that bad here right now. Humidity's not unbearable, temps are only 92, 93 ish.

I think I've acclimated ;)

Oh, and I read somewhere about mint towels? They're supposed to cool you off?

I am feeling a bit guilty for saying this but...... I don't think it's so bad. I am always cold, and right now I am not. We are drinking lots of fluids, I have the drapes closed, and we used a fan for sleeping last night. We do have a window a/c unit in storage, but it really doesn't do much imo. DH may end up pulling it out later this week, but I doubt it. I cooked late last night, took a walk and got the housework done early, and have been lounging with a cold drink since then. But then again, I have to carry a sweater with me all summer because I think stores are too cold with the a/c on.

Nah, you should not feel guilty -- my dd29 who has chronic lyme's and is being treated aggressively for babesia is usually shivering. Today we went to get her at the doctor's office and it is the first time in ages she hasn't been wearing a hoodie. I understand totally.:)

Yikes - 101 in Hartford??!!!!!! (we moved from there 5 years ago)

We just stay indoors in the A/C here in Alabama. It's kinda like the winter used to be in CT - stay indoors, in the A/C, then see the neighbors again in the fall.

Actually, I'm embarrassed to admit it's really not all that bad here right now. Humidity's not unbearable, temps are only 92, 93 ish.

I think I've acclimated ;)

Oh, and I read somewhere about mint towels? They're supposed to cool you off?

Mint towels? How about Mint juleps?;)

THAT is what my sister and I used to tell my dad when he arrived home in the evening and would look at the gorgeous inground pool we had - he would ask: Did you swim today? Our answer in RED above.:tongue_smilie:

Guest Virginia Dawn

It's not normal here in southeastern virginia either. I'm getting worried. We still have two months of summer left. Everything is drying out and we've had to water the garden and new/delicate plantings almost daily.

We had to go out this afternoon and the car thermometer said 107 at one place we stopped. I think one of my boys had a touch of heat exhaustion even though I was keeping them hydrated and had the ac on.

Too many bugs, TOO MUCH HUMIDITY. I absolutely LOVE fall and winter. The cool air is so invigorating. Being outside in this sweltering heat tires me. I do NOT like it AT ALL. I am longing for my down vest and boots. I'm craving a good long walk, one not involving deer flies and dripping sweat. :ack2:

;)

This reminds me of my life growing up in NH! As yucky as it was, your comment brings me fond memories! :lol: Now, we're down south, sweating away in the humidity still, but thankfully, there really aren't the bugs buzzing around your head down here. However, there are tons of house flies... it seems like there's always at least one in the house buzzing around!

As for keeping cool, the AC has been on since April (something like that), our blinds are always shut, we go outside early in the morning and later in the evening, and when boredom strikes, we head to the pool. It's been 4 years, but I'm still trying to get used to staying in during the summer months vs. the winter ones.

We have window units in our apartment and they seem to be getting the job done, although our electricity bill this month is going to be horrific.

I've been taking the kids to the sprinkler park and they seem perfectly comfortable in the heat. Me, at 35 weeks pregnant, not so much.