Menu

What are you doing to BEAT the heat?

Nah, you should not feel guilty -- my dd29 who has chronic lyme's and is being treated aggressively for babesia is usually shivering. Today we went to get her at the doctor's office and it is the first time in ages she hasn't been wearing a hoodie. I understand totally.:)

My dd has Lyme disease, too, and is always freezing. (She's on infusion meds.) Yesterday it was 100 degrees and she had the heat on in her car. :confused: But she told me "not to worry" as she also had the window down. She left for the beach yesterday with a hoodie on.

I recall checking my two dds into sleep away camp in Wolfeboro, NH in, let's see, 1986 or 1987, and it was SO hot, the sweat was dripping in my eyes as I put the sheets on their bunks. It gets SO hot there!

I am in Wolfeboro, NH right now! It's hot here, but a dip in the Lake cooled me off enough to sleep well tonight.

I am feeling a bit guilty for saying this but...... I don't think it's so bad.

Mind over matter? or just a matter of perspective? Dad used to tell me when I was a kid, to go into the attic, then come down and I'd feel a lot cooler.:glare:

I admit that as I have gotten older I have developed more sympathy for people's suffering in extreme heat, esp. those with asthma and other issues.

I don't have central air and only have a window a/c in one bedroom.

My kids escaped to grandma's house for one night of air conditioning. We have spent a ton of time at the town pool and ice skating. My new car has a button called max a/c and it has gotten lots of use. I have even contemplated sleeping in the car :tongue_smilie: (my kids thought this was an excellent idea).

Tonight I put another window a/c in the living room and in the past hour the temperature in there has gone from 90 to 89!!! Slow but steady progress.

Mind over matter? or just a matter of perspective? Dad used to tell me when I was a kid, to go into the attic, then come down and I'd feel a lot cooler.:glare:

I admit that as I have gotten older I have developed more sympathy for people's suffering in extreme heat, esp. those with asthma and other issues.

My dad was IN the HVAC business so he did spend his days in the attic. I do not know how he survived.

And, yes, he would go on a service call at any hour of any day if the person had asthma or was elderly. He was a good guy!

It's not normal here in southeastern virginia either. I'm getting worried. We still have two months of summer left. Everything is drying out and we've had to water the garden and new/delicate plantings almost daily.

We had to go out this afternoon and the car thermometer said 107 at one place we stopped. I think one of my boys had a touch of heat exhaustion even though I was keeping them hydrated and had the ac on.

:iagree: THIS is not normal for here -- way too extreme!

We have window units in our apartment and they seem to be getting the job done, although our electricity bill this month is going to be horrific.

I've been taking the kids to the sprinkler park and they seem perfectly comfortable in the heat. Me, at 35 weeks pregnant, not so much.

OMH! I was thinking that being pg in this heat would have to be the worst. My 2nd oldest turns 30 on Saturday so I do sort of remember what it's like being pg in this heat........she was born during a heat wave in 1980.......oh, yes, and the twins will be ten in October, I definitely remember THAT summer.

I don't have central air and only have a window a/c in one bedroom.

My kids escaped to grandma's house for one night of air conditioning. We have spent a ton of time at the town pool and ice skating. My new car has a button called max a/c and it has gotten lots of use. I have even contemplated sleeping in the car :tongue_smilie: (my kids thought this was an excellent idea).

Tonight I put another window a/c in the living room and in the past hour the temperature in there has gone from 90 to 89!!! Slow but steady progress.

Yup, NJ! Even at the beach with an ocean breeze, it is brutal in the summer. We lived in Ocean City for a few years and it was brutal in the winter and brutal in the summer.

This reminds me of my life growing up in NH! As yucky as it was, your comment brings me fond memories! :lol: Now, we're down south, sweating away in the humidity still, but thankfully, there really aren't the bugs buzzing around your head down here. However, there are tons of house flies... it seems like there's always at least one in the house buzzing around!

As for keeping cool, the AC has been on since April (something like that), our blinds are always shut, we go outside early in the morning and later in the evening, and when boredom strikes, we head to the pool. It's been 4 years, but I'm still trying to get used to staying in during the summer months vs. the winter ones.

Last month, dh asked if we could please cut down the use of the a/c..........and now this heat wave. Not happening!

Congrats on your repaired a/c. We have been THERE and would not wish it upon anyone!

Thanks! I think it is high time I buy a dehumidifer. The actual temps around here weren't that bad, but the heat index...Let's just say with it about to rain, raining, or just finishing raining all weekend, the humidity was my biggest enemy.

ETA: After have no AC for 3 days, i'm now actually really chilly at an indoor temp of 82.

Edited by Hathersage

Wow I am glad I live in Wyoming! We do get over 100 at times- but we were 62 today! It was cool outside! It is 56 right now!

:grouphug: to all of you in the east. We lived in Michigan before moving here and from what I hear it is like that in Michigan also. My inlaws are coming here for a visit- they said they hope our temps stay cool like this :D

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Wow I am glad I live in Wyoming! We do get over 100 at times- but we were 62 today! It was cool outside! It is 56 right now!

:grouphug: to all of you in the east. We lived in Michigan before moving here and from what I hear it is like that in Michigan also. My inlaws are coming here for a visit- they said they hope our temps stay cool like this :D

56!!!!!!! I cannot even imagine what 56 degrees feels like right now. Maybe if I open the door to the fridge and stand there.:D

Oooh, oooh, pick me, pick me! :hurray: I just thought of something:

When I had my twins a few years back, it was the middle of winter (January 3rd) BUT we were in the middle of a heat wave (no kidding). The hospital was "set" for winter, so they "couldn't put the air conditioner on." Instead, the heat was blasting out of the vents, and everyone was sweating and miserable.

But I have a gem for a husband, ladies. Let me tell you, the man is PURE GOLD. Of course, it probably helped that he worked at the hospital back then, but anyway, he found a fan and a hospital basin and ICE.

He put the bucket of ice in front of the fan, and -- voila! -- instant coolness. :coolgleamA:

It was nice to be cool when all the doctors and nurses were sweating. :lol:

Oooh, oooh, pick me, pick me! :hurray: I just thought of something:

When I had my twins a few years back, it was the middle of winter (January 3rd) BUT we were in the middle of a heat wave (no kidding). The hospital was "set" for winter, so they "couldn't put the air conditioner on." Instead, the heat was blasting out of the vents, and everyone was sweating and miserable.

But I have a gem for a husband, ladies. Let me tell you, the man is PURE GOLD. Of course, it probably helped that he worked at the hospital back then, but anyway, he found a fan and a hospital basin and ICE.

He put the bucket of ice in front of the fan, and -- voila! -- instant coolness. :coolgleamA:

It was nice to be cool when all the doctors and nurses were sweating. :lol:

After having twins, you certainly earned it! Excellent idea!:D

Sitting in our basement, A/C on, ceiling fans going, all blinds closed and not cooking. The kids are getting lots of quick foods. The kids also play in their little kiddie pool early in the morning. It is the humidity that kills me. When I lived in the Middle East it was easier since it was a dry heat.