Menu

I might freak out, ugh

My oldest daughter has been complaining of frequent urination for about 6 or 7 days. She has to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes to one hour. And for the past 4 days she has had urine leakage. She is not having any pain or burning with urination, back pain, or abdominal pain. She is drinking a lot, but that could be because it is so hot. She is moody too, but I just figure she is getting to that age, kwim? So anyway, I got one of the home UTI test kits and it was negative. I did some online research (always a bad idea), and then called the ped's office, and the nurse wanted me to check her sugar. It was 118 about 7 hours after eating...

I am about to freak out. I called the ped's office back after I checked her sugar, and the nurse I talked to that time said she is thinking UTI. So anyway, we are going to the pediatrician tomorrow. In the meantime, I am going to check another blood sugar in the am when she gets up.

Sometimes I hate being a nurse. I know too much. Sometimes ignorance would be welcome. Guess I just needed to vent. I am scared and sad and nervous.

Big, big hugs! :grouphug:

FWIW, we went through this with my 6-year-old about two months ago. She wasn't leaking, but DH & I always joked that she was like a camel (unlike her mother, who has to go now that we've talked about it here). Anyway, she was going all. the. time. She'd go before we left the house, and as soon as we got somewhere, she'd have to go again. And again before we left.

All this to say, it was nothing physical, and it has stopped. I was freaking out, also--UTI? Diabetes? Nope. Just a little psychological blip that may have been started with the warm weather and extra water. So hopefully you'll have something similar, or you'll get a nice, easy-to-fix answer. Prayers in the meantime, though.

Oh, and my mom's a nurse, so I understand that one, too. I'm totally paranoid because of what I know from her, and worse, it's without the actual education! :lol:

ETA: I actually have no idea--is 118 high for a fasting blood sugar? I can't quite tell from what the nurse said. Still more hugs and prayers!

Big, big hugs! :grouphug:

FWIW, we went through this with my 6-year-old about two months ago. She wasn't leaking, but DH & I always joked that she was like a camel (unlike her mother, who has to go now that we've talked about it here). Anyway, she was going all. the. time. She'd go before we left the house, and as soon as we got somewhere, she'd have to go again. And again before we left.

All this to say, it was nothing physical, and it has stopped. I was freaking out, also--UTI? Diabetes? Nope. Just a little psychological blip that may have been started with the warm weather and extra water. So hopefully you'll have something similar, or you'll get a nice, easy-to-fix answer. Prayers in the meantime, though.

Oh, and my mom's a nurse, so I understand that one, too. I'm totally paranoid because of what I know from her, and worse, it's without the actual education! :lol:

ETA: I actually have no idea--is 118 high for a fasting blood sugar? I can't quite tell from what the nurse said. Still more hugs and prayers!

Thank you. Normal fasting blood sugar for an adult is 70-100. I'm not 100% sure if the numbers are the same for children.

oh dear. :grouphug: but don't freak out yet. wait for a dx.

is she at risk / fam hx?

:grouphug: again

I'm trying so hard not to freak out. I am a high anxiety person, and with everything else going on (read: my PITA father in law), I am already on edge. We do have quite a few family members with type 2 diabetes, but no type 1 as far as I know.

Nakia, if she does have a UTI, her blood sugar could be elevated in response to the infection.

Thank you!!! That had totally slipped my mind. I have seen that soooooo many times in my patients. I can't believe I forgot it. That makes me feel so much better. Thank you again!!

A urologist once explained to me that our bladders are not meant for modern society. Caffeine and carbonation in particular can irritate the bladder and cause frequency and leakage issues. This problem can occur even without a rise in consumption.

So my first advice would be to cut out everything but water. Including things with trace amounts of caffeine (like chocolate).

I am glad you are going to the doctor tomorrow to get things checked out to be sure. Just to give you a little piece of mind so you can sleep tonight my 6 year old son was diagnosed as type 1 last year. His BG was 900 and we caught it very early. Please keep us posted and know that many of us are keeping you and your daughter in our prayers.

Kariann

I do appreciate everyone's responses. I am just still a mess. But we will find out what is going on tomorrow, hopefully. Thanks so much!

Do me a favor and ask them to run a strep culture too, if the UTI is negative and they determine her blood sugars are within normal range? I know I'm irrationally concerned about PANDAS, but if you rule everything else out, it's such an easy one to check...

Do me a favor and ask them to run a strep culture too, if the UTI is negative and they determine her blood sugars are within normal range? I know I'm irrationally concerned about PANDAS, but if you rule everything else out, it's such an easy one to check...

My middle daughter actually had strep twice in the fall, and after that she had some very serious anxiety and panic episodes. When I took her to counseling, the counselor said strep can cause those kind of symptoms in a sensitive child. I actually researched PANDAS. With time, thankfully, it has gotten much much better. It's a scary thing!!!

My middle daughter actually had strep twice in the fall, and after that she had some very serious anxiety and panic episodes. When I took her to counseling, the counselor said strep can cause those kind of symptoms in a sensitive child. I actually researched PANDAS. With time, thankfully, it has gotten much much better. It's a scary thing!!!

Ds' first symptoms were urinary (going *all* the time -- like every 3-5 minutes, sometimes as long as ten between -- and *thinking* he was leaking all the time and changing underwear constantly), so I took him in asking them to screen for a UTI repeatedly. Sigh. Even when other symptoms developed, they never thought to check him for strep (even though dd had classic symptoms and was diagnosed with strep the day I took him in for the presumed UTI the first time)...

Glad your other daughter is doing better now and hope you guys get reassurance that it's something simple with your oldest tomorrow!

Just out of curiosity, has she been drinking anything with "fake sugar" in it lately, like Crystal Light? I bought some of this recently and friend mentioned the effect it has on her. If she hadn't told me, I would have been seriously worried, because I was in the bathroom constantly for 3-4 days straight, and still felt urgency all the time.

:grouphug: I stress about stuff like that too.

Just out of curiosity, has she been drinking anything with "fake sugar" in it lately, like Crystal Light? I bought some of this recently and friend mentioned the effect it has on her. If she hadn't told me, I would have been seriously worried, because I was in the bathroom constantly for 3-4 days straight, and still felt urgency all the time.

:grouphug: I stress about stuff like that too.

No, she hasn't had anything like that. I hadn't ever heard that. Thanks for mentioning it though. I drink Diet Pepsi, ugh.

I am glad you are going to the doctor tomorrow to get things checked out to be sure. Just to give you a little piece of mind so you can sleep tonight my 6 year old son was diagnosed as type 1 last year. His BG was 900 and we caught it very early. Please keep us posted and know that many of us are keeping you and your daughter in our prayers.

Kariann

Oh wow. Bless you and your sweet boy. I cannot imagine. Well actually, I have been imagining all day. I am so sure in my mind that she doesn't have diabetes, but, like I said I freak about my kids.

:grouphug:

Nakia, if she does have a UTI, her blood sugar could be elevated in response to the infection.

Good ole Jean!!! I also forgot about this, and I tested my mom's sugars 3 x per day!!!

Nakia, please keep us posted. Did she eat anything the night before that could have made it high? That happened to my oldest dd once. I forgot about the birthday cake. :rolleyes:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I know what you mean about freaking out about the kids' health. I'm not a nurse, but a hypochondriac and it's just so darn hard!!!!

I know you'll worry anyway, but try not to! It sounds like she's physically fine. I hope you get the reassurance tomorrow! Update when you can!

118 is not high enough for concern of diabetes. It does signal an infection I think. Healthy people have small rises in blood sugar like that when they are fighting something off.

As far as the UTI strips go, if she has peed recently it will register negative if there hasn't been enough time for nitrites to build up. I am leaning towards UTI.

(I have one kid with diabetes and one who has chronic bladder infections. Just so you don't think I am guessing . LOL)

My young nephew was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes... his blood sugar was about 1000 at the first reading--- i think they like to see it 75-150/160 or something like that.

It is scary when you don't know what's going on---

Hi everyone! Her true fasting blood sugar this morning was 82. And thankfully, her symptoms are tons better. She has horseback riding camp this week, and during the four hours she was there this morning, she only had to void once. And no leaking! I am going to watch and see how she does for the next couple of days. I really don't think she has a UTI. I have had chronic UTIs my entire life, and her symptoms don't fit. I am thinking she has been maybe having too many other beverages besides water, which is usually the only thing she drinks. She has been sipping her daddy's Mountain Dew a little more often and getting Coke sometimes when we eat out. Maybe she had some bladder irritation. She also told me she is a little constipated, and that can cause feelings of needing to void more frequently. So we are going to work on increasing water intake and that should help her bladder and the constipation. If everything isn't resolved in a couple of days, I will definitely take her in.

I really appreciate all of you kind words and your prayers. I am a huge worrier about my kids' health. My anxiety is at an all-time high right now, but I am feeling much better and calmer today.