Menu

Teenage girls and modelling

I realize this is a very broad topic and perhaps a somewhat overgeneralizing one; certainly we all agree that a 13 year old is not as emotionally and in other ways mature as a 19 year old, and even a 16 year old, so the term "teenager" might be problematic here, but...

Would you, and if so under what circumstances, allow your beautiful teenage daughter to sell her beauty working as a model? If so, what limits would you pose?

Would you, and under what circumstances, allow her to try to build up an international career (which would mean spending a lot of time on the road, abroad, being physically far away from you and your control) as a minor?

Do you have daughters who repeatedly get offers to model on the street? How do you address that profession with your children? Do you present it as a legitimate profession or as a type of prostitution (earning with your body, at the end of the day) which can lead to many bad things (from drugs to anorexia to sexual immorality to being abused etc.)?

How would you react if your teenage daughter told you one day that she's considering trying it - be it for fun, or serious work? Would you allow her to get into that world, and to what extent?

Broad topic, I know, but I'm really interested in hearing all of the parents of beautiful daughters (and we all have beautiful daughters here, I'm sure ;)) and their stances on this issue - on modelling in general and on "what if" that happens to your daughter or she decides to try it out. :)

Thank you in advance for your replies.

ETA: Just to prevent the potential confusion - this is a hypothetical question and has nothing to do with my own daughters; we're having a lazy morning and we've been watching some documentary together, so it provoked my thoughts. Keep the replies coming! :)

Edited by Ester Maria

Stepdd21 has a modelling type figure and her mother considered putting her into modelling, and she was quite interested in her mid teens. However, her dad, my dh, was very much against it. His thoughts are that it is such a cut throat career and there are all sorts of unhealthy habits promoted including drugs. He considers it a culture not worthy of his children.

Since his views are so strong on it I havent really considered my two. I think dd16 is probably too short and has the wrong bodytype, but I think ds14 could have gone into it. When he did a drama class the teacher wanted him to do auditions for advertisements and such.

I think anyone should really follow their dream, and for some, that would be modelling. However, it is probably something I would gently discourage if it was a passing whim. Just because a child has a beautiful body doesn't mean we need to....well, the term that comes to mind is "exploit" it, and I didn't want to sound that harsh, but I know there are some parents who do do that. Not all of course, but I think it is a career that is more open to exploitation than others.

I am not really against it, and I am not "against" it for reasons of modesty at all, really, as I have no problems with even nudity in the right circumstances. I don't have a problem with skin or booKs or anything, on the beach, whatever. However...I don't think modelling would be a "right circumstance" in my book. What are you modelling for? To attract attention. Is that the sort of attention you really want?

My daughters are still little (and definitely beautiful ;)), but they've expressed curiosity about the whole acting/modeling industry. I do feel fortunate in the fact that both are still too shy to seriously consider any sort of true involvement right now. (One has asked to take acting lessons through our local playhouse.)

I don't object to child/teen acting or modeling, but I would CERTAINLY take all of the risks very seriously and be the "annoying" mother who would likely cost them any high-end jobs. If the kids were cool with that, I'd support them to the best of my ability.

I won't say what I'd do with an older teenager unless/until I'm faced with it in the context of a specific child. I refuse to predict their maturity levels.

My girls have been asked to participate in pageants (their cousin participates and they go to support her), but I have zero interest in that world.

I would urge extreme caution. First, I have seen many scammers who will approach any family with a moderately attractive early or mid teen daughter and talk up the modeling hype. A close friend of mine fell for this when we lived in Florida. After many expensive portfolio photo sessions, coaching sessions, wardrobe sessions, etc., still no jobs--just an empty wallet. Sports has nothing on modeling in terms of being a field of broken dreams. So very few of those who happen to find their way to a legitimate modeling agency ever find much success.

Second, I would carefully consider what this choice represents to your dc. If it is the whole popularity in the eyes of the world thing, that certainly needs to be addressed, but not through modeling! It is a fun, exciting ego rush to have all your friends ooooh and aaaah over you when you say that you are a model or have lots of people want to date you because you are a model, but that leads to a very unstable self image and can easily crash and burn.

My dh is a professional photographer and videographer and has dealt with many models and actors. In his opinion, it is a very cut throat business that encourages some very bad behaviors. It causes young people to focus on one single aspect of themselves, often to the neglect of the rest.

The work is hard and most models are usually treated like inanimate objects, to be molded into the director's vision. Modesty, age appropriateness, model preferences are all thrown out the window at the whim of the shoot director. Models have to develop a very thick skin to be able to disregard the brutally honest comments that they will hear constantly on the set. (She looks so fat, why did the agency send us such a cow? How much of her face can we Photoshop out, that nose is hideous?, etc.)

We have used our own dd as a model in some of the print work that we have done in our own small business when she was very young. She is very photogenic and yes, we have had offers. However, we would never encourage her in this business professionally. Too fraught with danger.

Interesting question.

The only type of modeling I'd allow my daughters to do would be photo shoots for things like clothing stores (example: Gap, Old Navy, Children's Place). However, places like that would not want us because I'm too strict on clothing for my daughters. My girls would not model anything that I would not allow them to wear....this includes any skirts too short, halter tops, adult looking clothing, etc.

And as a teen, I can pretty much say that I wouldn't allow modeling....because I'm sure they would need to model revealing, provocative clothing that I do not believe women should be wearing. I wouldn't allow any of the runway stuff, revealing clothes, etc.

I don't really care for the whole modeling scene anyways. I don't think that beauty should be a competition (as in pageants) and I don't like the way most models are required to be stick thin and then they still airbrush them and "fix" them in Photoshop. What began as a person ends up being a computer generated image of a person. I don't like the way society tells women they should look like models, when that isn't attainable.

I wanted to add that I agree with an above poster who mentioned scams. Yes, be very careful there. There are LOTS of scammers. They like to round up attractive children to get them into "modeling" but then the parents are really just out a bunch of money.

We were at an event one time and someone in a booth pulled me aside and told me that my daughter (then 4) was gorgeous and I needed to get her into modeling. My daughter is very photogenic and yes, I do think she's gorgeous (doesn't every mother? LOL). The person gave me their contact number and I called them the following week. They wanted me to enroll my daughter in their modeling school.....which, of course, costed lots of money. So I figure it was probably just a way for them to make money in their modeling school. Maybe a few of their students actually get offers, but I seriously doubt that majority of them do.

So be careful.

I realize this is a very broad topic and perhaps a somewhat overgeneralizing one; certainly we all agree that a 13 year old is not as emotionally and in other ways mature as a 19 year old, and even a 16 year old, so the term "teenager" might be problematic here, but...

Would you, and if so under what circumstances, allow your beautiful teenage daughter to sell her beauty working as a model? If so, what limits would you pose?

Would you, and under what circumstances, allow her to try to build up an international career (which would mean spending a lot of time on the road, abroad, being physically far away from you and your control) as a minor?

Do you have daughters who repeatedly get offers to model on the street? How do you address that profession with your children? Do you present it as a legitimate profession or as a type of prostitution (earning with your body, at the end of the day) which can lead to many bad things (from drugs to anorexia to sexual immorality to being abused etc.)?

How would you react if your teenage daughter told you one day that she's considering trying it - be it for fun, or serious work? Would you allow her to get into that world, and to what extent?

Broad topic, I know, but I'm really interested in hearing all of the parents of beautiful daughters (and we all have beautiful daughters here, I'm sure ;)) and their stances on this issue - on modelling in general and on "what if" that happens to your daughter or she decides to try it out. :)

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I would only consider if a parent or very trusted other adult were going to be with a 13 year old. Turning them over to a manager whose priorities were different from mine would be unacceptable. A lot of parents have been caught in that trap...the manager becomes a "friend" while the child models locally so the parents trust the manager when the out of town stuff comes up. And regret it later. My daughter does modeling for a couple of local boutique type stores and even has done a few shows and ads for national brands....and I've seen and met the managers who prey on these kids. They are good at the manipulating, very good. But luckily we did our homework and learned their game (ok, maybe overbroad there with the use of "their" as someone somewhere must be an honest manager right?). My daughter models for fun and savings for college, but doesn't want to do it as a full time career because so much of it is actually boring, lol. The glam part is minutes compared to hours of prep, and the daily grooming requirements even when you're not working drive her nuts, lol.

Use great caution about turning over your precious daughter to someone who doesn't have your daughter's interests first and foremost in their mind. Personally this could only be someone who knew and loved my daughter long before the modeling world saw her. And has your morals and beliefs firmly entrenched. I've talked to other moms of models and it's easy to get sucked into "oh it won't hurt her to do this or that" or "we'll stop if she's uncomfortable with this layout".....and the $$$ glow even in mom's eyes as they're told things like "if she does this layout the "right" people will see her and her career will take off". I have probably had more moms caution me against letting her go further than I have those encouraging her. And I think some of the girls have told DD things that have helped cement in her mind that this is fun for now, but not a life.

While at university, my flatmates younger sister started a modelling career. She was 14 at the time. She entered for fun and won a local modelling contest run by a reputable magazine. The prize was a contract with an international modelling agency.

Untill she was 18, her mother went with her to all castings and vetted the jobs she allowed her daughter to accept. They'd go overseas twice a year for a month at a time and she did work locally as well. Her siblings had already left home, so her mom had the time to do this.

Her mom guided her to recognize the ways in which people were trying to exploit her, worked through ways in which to avoid the unsavory behaviours (and there are many in the industry) and taught her to accept the rejections as being about her physical looks and not about her character or worth as a person. They would take school work with them if their time away was not during school vacations.

She was mature for her age and at 18, she started travelling and working alone. At 25 she had finished a degree via correspondence, bought a house and started her own business.

Modelling was a way to earn money and enabled her to get a head start in life. I think her parents managed it very well and she was able to keep her feet on the ground and avoid the pitfalls of the industry.

I did just a bit on an extremely small local scale when I was 16-17. Although I didn't have very many bad experiences, I so easily could have. I don't think I'd allow my dd's to do it, even though it can be a very nice way to earn money for college. If they did it anyway, they need to have a chaperone *every single minute* at *every single shoot*. It's sometimes difficult to screen out the sleaze jobs from the real opportunities. A good agent may help with this, but then again, the judgment of the agent is still unlikely to run along the same lines as mine. So....No. I would not allow my dd's to do it. There are just too many emotional (and sometimes physical) risks that are part & parcel with the job.

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. :)

However, places like that would not want us because I'm too strict on clothing for my daughters. My girls would not model anything that I would not allow them to wear....this includes any skirts too short, halter tops, adult looking clothing, etc.

This is something that crossed my mind as well, particularly with regards to the Israeli documentary I saw this morning with the girls online (no subtitles though). Basically the documentary is about girls who are as young as 15-16, from all over the world, who come to Milano (ALONE!), live with other girls in that situation, and go from audition to audition. They truly are beautiful, but it really crossed my mind, isn't that going a bit too far? And it's so dangerous - even the girls themselves talk about how risky and unsafe the whole environment is, and those who have gone through the whole thing warn parents NOT to send their 15-16 year olds alone to Milano.

Anyway, with regards to your point - some of the girls in the documentary are as young as 12-13 and are promoting, shall we call it, adult women clothes in adult women poses, highly sexually allusive. They interviewed a whole bunch of people from the business who spoke about how the age limit is getting lower and lower, how it used to be very hard to work with kids to whom at the age of 13 you couldn't explain how they should look "sexy", but, as the say, today it's no longer the issue as the girls come prepared for doing it (!) and overall, it got me thinking a bit.

I certainly see a difference between what the documentary was about and allowing your child to do something truly innocuous, but it got me thinking where would *my* line be (on the very conservative side I suppose) if I had a child who wanted to do it, or had a potential to do it. Just interested in seeing what other parents think about it.

...I did it...and never ever would allow a child of mine to do it!

It worked out for me...no bodily harm done...but I have VERY strong feelings about NEVER EVER anything good coming out of this - and this includes considering the amount of money that can be earned.

Most people can not start to imagine what modeling will do to a young girl...! The environment is just beyond unhealthy...no matter whether the skirts are long or short!

My family's business when I was growing up revolved around the entertainment industry. Actors, actresses, models, modeling agencies, pro photographers, caterers, limo companies... you name it.

Never. I would never let DS into that world.

And as an aside - what does it say about our society that we market our clothing by hanging it on pre-pubescent looking girls and boys (even if they *are* 16-18 yo)?

It bothers me to no end that the "end the size zero" movement is looked upon with disdain by the top designers in the clothing world.

a

It sounds like what you are describing is the "America's top Model" kind of modeling - fashion modeling. Modeling for J.C. Penney's or a travel ad or. . . those kinds of things are totally different. At one time my face was plastered across all the railway stations in Japan - since I was in a kimono doing a traditional dance, there was no exploitation, and almost no skin showing!

I think modeling is as legitimate a profession as any other if done through respectable venues. I wouldn't let my kids model for someone who approached them on the street. The people who get into trouble are the ones who want it so badly they'll believe anything someone tells them, and do anything to "get to the top."

Two of my aunts did local modeling when they were teens, mostly ads for department stores like Filene's and Jordan Marsh. I'd be okay with my girls doing something like that. But they'd have to wait until they were 18 to go to a city like New York, Paris, Milan, etc.

My oldest did a local beauty pageant when she was almost 3. She won her age group and also overall "best eyes". I didn't enter her in the state pageant though because the entrance fee was several hundred dollars plus they wanted a professional headshot.

I will encourage my girls to enter Junior Miss when they're in high school because that is more academic-oriented plus there is no swimsuit portion.

Would you consider professional athletics a form of prostitution since it entails using the body to earn a living and usually is of relatively short duration for a career? Basketball players wear tank tops; volleyball players sometimes wear bikinis.

I agree with another poster that I would avoid anyone who approaches you on the street or in a mall or wants you to enroll her in a for-profit modeling school. Stick with the legitimate agencies.

Would you consider professional athletics a form of prostitution since it entails using the body to earn a living and usually is of relatively short duration for a career? Basketball players wear tank tops; volleyball players sometimes wear bikinis.

I agree with another poster that I would avoid anyone who approaches you on the street or in a mall or wants you to enroll her in a for-profit modeling school. Stick with the legitimate agencies.

Uh well, yeah. We would discourage that profession as well. I wouldn't equate modeling or professional athletics to prostitution but they certainty do not fit into our family's value system.

...I just wanted to add that I worked with some of the best and most respected agencies in a highly professional environment.

This certainly prevents some potential problems, but, in my eyes, does not change a thing, concerning the impact that moving in such a highly superficial environment has on a young person.

Again, I came out okay, but did not GAIN anything (apart of money...!) On the other hand, I LOST precious years, lost innocence, lost trust in people, lost friends (or not...?), lost a sense of self...etc.!

Definately not worth it for me!

volleyball players sometimes wear bikinis.

Actually, during the last summer Olympics, I was wondering why the female beach volleyball players' uniforms were so skimpy, while the men were much more covered up. I'm not really buying the arguments of heat, or comfort. Those womens' uniforms looked really uncomfortable to me. If it's necessary to wear as little as possible to play the game, why don't the men go barechested and wear speedos? Just wondering....

I spent a little bit of time around the edges of this industry when training as a photographer and later more extensively in other areas of the entertainment industry. I think it is an industry where there are so many exploitative people and bad influences it would be hard to follow a path that avoids it and that would make me nervous for my children were they to want t go into it.

Maybe true child modelling for childrens clothing or products would be ok, totally chaperoned, but putting a girl as young as say 12 into the world of adult modelling seems a huge risk.

Have you seen Sara Ziff's documentary Picture me about this exact thing?

Its a fantastic film, her boyfriend follows her for 5 years and films her. She interviews many models and shares her and their experience of sexual harassment/abuse, very young models and being considered too old in her twenties, being ill as a result of the job, the vast amount of money she earns etc...

I saw it on the BBC at about 2 am one night, am not sure if it is available online somewhere but there are bits of it on you tube. I have just searched and its supposed to have a proper release this summer.

One thing that distinctly stuck in my head was a group of models describing a 12/13 year old new model coming off the cat walk and killing time doing a colouring book. So young to be in that adult world.

Edited by lailasmum

Maybe true child modelling for childrens clothing or products would be ok, totally chaperoned, but putting a girl as young as say 12 into the world of adult modelling seems a huge risk.

[bold emphasis mine]

I suppose I agree with this (though this raises an interesting point: how many of it will be child-driven? and how many of those cases are parents pushing their kids into it?, which again raises some new questions...)

Which also reminds me of asta's previous point: how come children are selling adult clothes as well? One of the things that particularly strike me from that Israeli documentary is a 13 y.o. girl (I have a 13 y.o. at home too, so it was quite a contrast), scantly clothed, to whom they're explaining that she should get a "bad girl" looks in her eyes and she's having difficulties capturing that. The pictures look like pictures of an adult woman, and she is indeed selling adult clothes. Same with most of other minors that are into high fashion.

I don't know, I guess the times really are changing, I thought that the age limit for those was 16 with a written parental permission (I recall something like that from my youth, but as I never had any touch with fashion industry, cannot confirm it), and now there seem to be all those young teens all over Milano living basically on their own (i.e. without a guardian), from all over the world, and I start wondering whether that's even legal. :001_huh:

Jean: yes, we seem to really be talking about different things. I'm actually not familiar with the show you mention (I just googled it earlier to see what it's about), but what I'm talking about is basically that kind of modelling as opposed to age-appropriate and decent pictures used to promote age-appropriate material or a beauty contest in which you're not parading around in a bikini.

My question is basically, where would you personally as a parent draw the line when it comes to a minor, if you were to permit SOME kind of modelling?

sahm99: I would very much be interested in hearing you elaborating a bit on some of your experiences, if you would like? (No problem if you wouldn't though. :))

Have you seen Sara Ziff's documentary Picture me about this exact thing?
I will try to find it, thanks for the recommendation.

No.

The fashion industry promotes values that I don't want my DD to pick up on. Models are encouraged to eat very little, take drugs to help with weight loss, and are praised on their looks. Yes, I tell DD she is beautiful all the time, but not in a be all, end all, just because you are beautiful you are better than everyone else type of way.

DD will never have the body to be a model. I am 5'3 and her father is only 5'8 or so. But she does have the personality to be an actress or singer (or dancer). I will seriously, seriously discourage her from getting into any entertainment field. We've all seen what happens when children get into that field. (Miley Cyrus, Lindsay Lohan, Stephanie from Full House, Drew Barrymore, and scores of other child performers who get involved in drugs and/or grow up way too quickly!) If she *really* wanted to do it, I'd be right there with her for EVERYTHING, and would have the power of veto on any job.

My dd (Then a pre-teen) was noticed by a neighbour in our street. Neighbour approached me and asked if dd would like to model. It was totally legitimate, neighbours father owned a clothing company, a catalogue was coming out, with pre-teen clothing.

After checks we allowed dd to do it. I admit I was flattered and proud, as if 'I' had caused her beauty! :tongue_smilie:

The shoot went well. Dd was polite and well behaved. The photographer was impressed. he recommended her to another company etc. etc.

Dd gradually became more and more body concious and self critical...a down hill slope started. She became proud of her looks, she stopped playing outside if a shoot was scheduled...in case she produced a blemish somewhere.

We stopped modelling. We went though a very difficult spell, but emigrated to a new county soon after, which helped no end. She remained body concious throughout her teen years, but the tendency to vanity did wane gradually.

never again. Dd is now 21 and a marathon runner. She is sensible and well balanced, but her teen years were much harder than they needed to be, because of our mistake.

Interesting question.

The only type of modeling I'd allow my daughters to do would be photo shoots for things like clothing stores (example: Gap, Old Navy, Children's Place). However, places like that would not want us because I'm too strict on clothing for my daughters. My girls would not model anything that I would not allow them to wear....this includes any skirts too short, halter tops, adult looking clothing, etc.

And as a teen, I can pretty much say that I wouldn't allow modeling....because I'm sure they would need to model revealing, provocative clothing that I do not believe women should be wearing. I wouldn't allow any of the runway stuff, revealing clothes, etc.

I don't really care for the whole modeling scene anyways. I don't think that beauty should be a competition (as in pageants) and I don't like the way most models are required to be stick thin and then they still airbrush them and "fix" them in Photoshop. What began as a person ends up being a computer generated image of a person. I don't like the way society tells women they should look like models, when that isn't attainable.

:iagree:Well said!

I did some modelling & have a couple of third cousins who were pro models. All of us had finished high school, but things have gone younger now.

Here is the sum & substance of what I know about the modeling industry between the three of us. Some of this will be a bit dated, since we're now around 50 and you didn't have to be anorexic. All of us were naturally thin enough to model & tall enough.

First, there is a huge difference in different parts of the world. My cousin who went to Paris liked that better than Canada or the US. She said they told you right away if they had what it took. Many times here modelling agencies make you take courses (one is fine to learn what to do) & keep taking your money but won't tell you if you have what it takes. She said that, and at that time (we were about 30) she was working for a modelling agency in LA, but no longer as a model, they don't do that in Canada or the US. I specifically made an appointment with someone at the modelling school I went to about whether I had what it takes (being tall enough, thin enough & photogenic enough isn't enough) and she wouldn't give me a straight answer. I did some shows, but quit.

Here's the thing about modelling--you need a thick skin. Many models are smart, savvy women with good heads on their shoulders. I had a very good chat about this with one of the photographers who assisted at my brother-the-actor's wedding who is a fashion photographer. His thin model girlfriend was obviously healthy, although not all modelling requires you the be very thin. The sister of that cousin did plus size modelling & she wasn't even fat. She'd lost weight & was looking into the "girl next door" type modelling.

However, you're asking about beautiful young girls going into fashion models. It's a tough business, and I'd be very careful.

1. If someone approaches you about your dd modelling, get a card & check them out. Even back when I was a teen there were predators who posed as photographers. One place to check is a local, reputable modelling agency.

2. Some girls can make some good money for college modelling, and that would include things such as catalog modelling. I'd be sure that you can be with your dd the entire time if she's underage. I'd also be good & sure that she's naturally thin enough (some girls are for reasonable modeling) & healthy enough. Your MD would know. I was very healthy and a whopping 120 lbs at 5 ft 10 in (fwiw, that's 15 lbs below the current healty BMI scale in my MD's office for my height, but that kind of youthful thinness runs in the family; I didn't fill out to the bottom of the BMI scale until I was in my mid-twenties, and people still called me skinny.) Although my sister claims that she diagnosis anorexia by weight alone, I've heard others who use blood tests to check. Not that my sister is wrong, but even she knows I was healthy back then.

3. It can be a nasty business, but isn't always. There was a woman at my old church who was a pro model with Legends (not sure if they're still in business, but they were new then & she was one of the Calvin Klein jeans models among other things) who had quite the interesting conversation with the owner of one of NYC's top modelling agency that was nasty (she had no reason to make the conversation up since that owner was willing to sign her on right then, but she wanted to think about it first.)

4. I personally hated doing it very shortly, but only did live shows. I was too sensitive, etc.

fwiw, no girl who is tall enough to be a runway model should be wearing sizes like 1 or 0. It used to be that a US size 8 (back when sizes were smaller than they are today--you didn't see sizes 0 or 00 then) was the standard modelling size, but sizes have changes, so I'm not sure what it is today.

Finally, and the reason I hate fashion modelling is because it's all about a certain type of look--thin, unless it's plus modelling. Certain looks and body shapes are in, and others are out. Photographic modelling can be very deceitful thanks to digital imaging, but they could lie even with air brushing when they used regular film. I have some rules about my dd's clothing--no belly buttons showing, no low necklines, not short shorts, no bikinis or bathing suits that might as well be bikinis.

So, I guess my answer for my dd's would be no unless they were old enough that I knew they could think it through for themselves & they were legally allowed to make that decision without my permission. I might make an exception, I suppose, if it weren't fashion modelling, they were wearing something reasonable & I could be there.

ETA:

The work is hard and most models are usually treated like inanimate objects, to be molded into the director's vision. Modesty, age appropriateness, model preferences are all thrown out the window at the whim of the shoot director. Models have to develop a very thick skin to be able to disregard the brutally honest comments that they will hear constantly on the set. (She looks so fat, why did the agency send us such a cow? How much of her face can we Photoshop out, that nose is hideous?, etc.)

YES!! And this is also what it's like for professional screen actors, too. My brother has lost roles for things such as: the producer thought his eyeteeth were all wrong when he saw his profile (but the director loved his work, so he got a very small role--this was early in his career). For a long time he had trouble getting roles because he's blond (too blond & fair skinned) to dye his hair darker & get away with it and blonds weren't in style. There are may worse things, particularly for girls & women.

Edited by Karin

[bold emphasis mine]

I One of the things that particularly strike me from that Israeli documentary is a 13 y.o. girl (I have a 13 y.o. at home too, so it was quite a contrast), scantly clothed, to whom they're explaining that she should get a "bad girl" looks in her eyes and she's having difficulties capturing that. .

Because kids don't have any wrinkles. I kid you not. I remember when this trend started & why. It's horrid.

Actually, during the last summer Olympics, I was wondering why the female beach volleyball players' uniforms were so skimpy, while the men were much more covered up. I'm not really buying the arguments of heat, or comfort. Those womens' uniforms looked really uncomfortable to me. If it's necessary to wear as little as possible to play the game, why don't the men go barechested and wear speedos? Just wondering....

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

When I was 13, I went to a local professional photographer who dealt with modeling agencies. After doing a photo shoot, he sent my portfolio out to several agencies. My mother thought this through and decided this was the best way to avoid scammers, who came up to me asking if I was interested in modeling. I really wanted to get involved and would have fallen right into a scam, if my mother would not have been there to guide me.

I did some local jobs, but when I was called on jobs that where more than an hour or two away, my mother said no way. At the time, I was very mad and disappointed. I couldn't understand why. It all looked so exciting and I felt like I was missing out. Once she did let me go with another young girl, who was being escorted by her mother, to a 3 day job a couple hours away. I felt like a hot shot. However it was not an atmosphere I would allow my dd to be in when she is 13-15. And that was 15 years ago. I don't know what it is like now.

NO. I would not EVER allow my daughter to take part in modelling. I was approached years ago and briefly considered it, but....in the end I had serious issues with using physical attractivness as a commodity. It is not a SKILL. To me it is no different from having your picture taken because you have big boobs, etc.

I would hate for my daughter to think that her worth is in how she LOOKS instead of WHO SHE IS.

Someone asked about sports. To me that IS a bit different as sports does require SKILL.

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

It is not a SKILL. To me it is no different from having your picture taken because you have big boobs, etc.

I would hate for my daughter to think that her worth is in how she LOOKS instead of WHO SHE IS.

But how she looks is part of who she is. I think physical attractiveness can be looked at as a gift in the same way musicality, sports ability, or the gift of gab are gifts, and there's nothing wrong with using that which you were given as long as you also develop as a person.

I think of someone like Brooke Shields who modeled, then went on to attend Princeton, act, write a book, become spokesperson for a cause, and raise a family - she has certainly developed as a person. I think we're painting models in general with a very broad brush; many go on to do other things.

My 14 year old is only 4'11, so when people tell her she should take up modeling...I remind her about the height requirement. :lol:

Even if she *could be a model, I would only allow things like store catalogs...and her dad and I would have *complete control over what was allowed. She would also not leave our sight :) SOOOO...her imaginary modeling career would not go far!

It sounds like what you are describing is the "America's top Model" kind of modeling - fashion modeling. Modeling for J.C. Penney's or a travel ad or. . . those kinds of things are totally different. At one time my face was plastered across all the railway stations in Japan - since I was in a kimono doing a traditional dance, there was no exploitation, and almost no skin showing!

Our girls have very blond hair and blue eyes. We have been told my so many people, that we should try to get stationed in Japan, so they could model. I think we would have considered it...if we would have gone over.

My 14 year old is only 4'11, so when people tell her she should take up modeling...I remind her about the height requirement. :lol:

Even if she *could be a model, I would only allow things like store catalogs...and her dad and I would have *complete control over what was allowed. She would also not leave our sight :) SOOOO...her imaginary modeling career would not go far!

Actually, there are face models, hand models, foot models. I'm not sure what the size requirements are for all of those. Of course, we're not really discussing that here.