Menu

Thinking of getting a Weimaraner. What can you tell me about the Breed?

I love the breed but they can be high strung and need a lot of exercise. They also need to be trained and socialized when young to avoid problems (of course all dogs need this but because they are high energy they esp. need this).

Our friends had some that were hunting dogs - very well trained but allowed to exercise a lot.

My brother had one that he did not socialize or exercise properly. That dog destroyed thousands of dollars of furniture and property due to boredom before they gave him back to the breeder.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

My aunt and uncle had one when I was about 15 yrs old. He was sweet as could be, BUT.........I learned right away that one could not sit on the floor b/c Bullitt would come tear-a**ing to you b/c he thought that sitting on the floor meant you wanted to play.rough.

My aunt sent him to Obedience School - the owner gave him a diploma and certificate b/c he didn't want my aunt to feel badly, but he told my aunt that Bullitt had flunked out.:drool5:

Our neighbors have a pair. They both work, and exercise the dogs at night. The dogs sometimes get out, and they have to run down the street chasing them and apologizing because they are not friendly to our kids or our two dogs. We have a lab mix and a golden retriever, so our kids are comfortable around dogs, but are intimidated by all the ruckus caused by these two. Personally, I think they are best suited to a 20-something couple without kids, preferably triathletes or at least marathon runners...

Beautiful dogs, but if I'm not wrong... only if you are seriously going to train... train... train... and exercise a ton!! At our training class.... it was one of the meanest dogs.... UGH!! It was after more than one of the other dogs.... I think you would surely need to start training early... Course... all dogs need trained.... As far as a family dog..... I'm not sure it'd be my first choice...

Beautiful dogs... :)

These dogs are bred to WORK.

Are you interested in training for hunt tests or actually hunting? Tracking? (serious training - daily + exercise)

Are you interested in competitive agility? I was at the BC/Yukon regional agility championships this weekend & I saw at least two weims & they were doing very well.

Do you run? Trail hike for a couple hours a day?

I've never met a calm weim. They're goofy and playful and have tons of energy. They pop up in gundog rescue a lot as they turn out to be too much dog for most people. If you are a runner (& have a back up plan in case of injury; ie money set aside for doggie daycare & preferably the kind of dog walker who takes dogs out for 2-4 h outdoor adventures) or a serious sport enthusiast, then go for it. Otherwise, consider adopting a senior weim from purebreed rescue or a shelter.....a senior one would have the energy of an 'average' young/middle age dog of a more 'normal' breed.

Great dogs though - sensitive, smart & wonderful pets for the right family.

Can be bad with prey animals. May or may not be ok with cats. Might chase or kill cats (& if you come across folks like in the other thread on about cat killing dogs, some people will insist your dog should be destroyed in that case)

Gorgeous, gorgeous dogs. The ones I've been in contact with have been very high strung & energetic.

The next-door neighbors had a female. Beautiful girl. They didn't exercise her nearly as much as she needed. She started trying to leap over the privacy fence. She did it a couple of times and escaped. So, they started putting her on a tether. She still tried to jump the fence and one day she leaped over, but the leash caught her and she hung herself. It was awful.

We have a Ă‚Â½ lab, Ă‚Â½ Sharpei and he doesn't need nearly the amount of exercise the Weim needed - and is usually lazing about, snoozing in the shade or sun somewhere.

They are beautiful dogs, though - and perfect for many people! We actually have a couple of friends with Weims and they absolutely adore them! Just be aware that they're not laze-about kind of dogs. :)

Some tend to have behavioral instability. It's not a breed to choose w/o serious research. Especially if you have other pets and/or young children around.

ETA: I don't want to go into too many details, but let me add that one of the saddest cases my vet-dh has worked on was a family with one adult and one pup -- both weimies. The adult went completely bonkers when they got the pup, and despite extremely diligent owners and an excellent behaviorist, the adult nearly killed the pup, and after the second near fatal attack, the adult had to be put down. The saddest thing was that the owners had the adult for several wonderful, pretty uneventful, years before this happenned, but after seeing what he could do, they knew he could never be trusted around other pets, let alone the children they hoped to have. . . It was so tragic.

Edited by StephanieZ

I'm glad I posted this question. I had no idea these dogs were so hard to handle. My family had one when I was around 8 and she was very docile. She just laid around. I remember my sister reading to her (sis would have been 4 or 5 and couldn't read). The dog would lay in her usual spot on our floor and my sis would get a book and lay her head on the dog and begin "reading" to the dog. My parents bred this dog several times to a male dog that was obedience trained. He was beautiful. They had beautiful puppies and she would let us go in and play with them. She never took off or anything like that. I had wonderful memories of this dog, but when mom and dad got divorced, we had to give the dog away.

I guess I'll consider getting a lab. We had a lab that passed away 2 years ago. Wonderful dog! She was as big as a weimeraner, but great temperment. I'm finding, though, that they are generally a medium size dog. We are having trouble finding a lab like the one we had so that is why we were considering a weim. From the websites and memory I thought they were close in temperment to a lab. Guess not.:glare: Guess it is back to searching for a lab.

Thanks everyone!

What everyone else said.

My aunt has a Weim that is pure perfection. She had considered showing him, but he outgrew the size standard. He is better behaved than my children, and a complete joy to be around.

That said, she has no children and is a sah doggy-mom. She researched the breed and breeders for several years before getting him. He has been trained with near military intensity, and rightfully so.

He's by far the most incredible dog I've ever met, but I will never have the amount of time or type of dedication to raise one myself. I'll stick with kids! ;)

Personally, I think they are best suited to a 20-something couple without kids, preferably triathletes or at least marathon runners...

Sums up my brother and sil. They run marathons and train with both their Weimaraners in tow. They've had Stonewall and Dixie for 7-8 years. And both dogs go everywhere they go. Their dogs are good around children. They are just BIG!

I'm glad yu're doing your research! I've never met a calm Weim. They can be very sweet - but my heavens,,,, our friends had a pair when our kids were in pre-school. They were nice to the kids - when they weren't knocking them over and running over them.

Have you looked into Danes? We have a lab and a Dane - love them both very much. Danes have the same loveable, goober thing going on as Weim's - but after they grow up past the puppy stage, they are couch potatoes - and love everyone they meet!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Here is a fun little test to take:

http://www.iams.com/iams/breed-information.jsp?gclid=CNTv35_Bn6ICFQO_sgodKX_UzA

We used it to narrow down what kind of dog to get. High on my list is a mellow dog, I did not want Hyper! We ended up with a Golden Doodle and we love him dearly! He lays around all day even at the age of 1 and now he is 2. He lets the kids do whatever to him without a care. They dress him up, lay on him, read to him, and more. They do not shed, which is awesome for keeping the house cleaner. He is about 100 lbs, and I am always having to ask him to move as he likes to lay in the middle of the action.

I agree with Stephanie's remark that some may have behavioral instability. My brother and his family are Weim people. They love that breed and are responsible dog owners, buying from good breeders, etc. They had one for years that, although he did a few crazy things sometimes, he was a good family dog. After he died of old age, they got another one. They had had him for a year or two when we were there for a family gathering. DS wanted to see the dog (loves animals.) They didn't want him to go out alone so my niece (twenties) said she'd go with him. We had no reason to be concerned. In a few minutes we heard blood curdling screaming from both of them. The men were standing near the door so they took out running while I froze and prayed knowing that they could get there first. DS had been on the swing when all of a sudden the dog grabbed his arm and wouldn't let go. My niece couldn't make him stop. He had a fairly severe bite, ripped shirt, etc. We talked to the pediatrician that night (we were about 100 miles away.) He said if we could stop the bleeding we could wait til the next morning to see him. We did (with quite a bit of work) and the next day he said it was within a fraction of an inch of the joint and would have been severely damaged due to the severity of the bite (not that the dog had calculated his attack of course.) He put DS on an antibiotic and he will have a lifelong scar on that arm. Anyway, my brother was very upset. They paid for a trainer to come to their home and evaluate the dog's temperament. They knew that the dog wasn't friendly with strangers but he had never bitten or attacked. After a couple weeks the trainer encouraged them to put the dog down as she did not believe him to be stable. They have then gone on to get 2 other Weim's (together) and we have met them also. They seem to be completely different. Like any breed, there will ALWAYS be some dogs in that breed with bad temperaments. I realize that there isn't a single breed that someone couldn't share a bad experience about. However, there are certainly some breeds that are better suited for family life than others and if I was looking for a true family dog, I would not risk the Weim.

I didn't read the other replies so this may be a repeat. I also wanted to get a Weimaraner but our vet said that they are too often a "skiddish" breed and she did not recommend them for families with young children. She said if we liked the look and build of the Weimaraner we should consider a Vizsla. I spoke with several Vizsla owners who said they were the best dog they ever had!

But then we were given a free Golden Retriever puppy from a family who could not care for him and our love affair with Goldens began. ;) I do truly think that Weimaraners are gorgeous dogs but I don't think in our home one would be as accomodating as our Golden is with our boys. They use him as a pillow when they watch tv!!! :D

I'm a dog trainer, and I've had two weimaraners. They are what led me to become a dog trainer, because they needed that much training! Honestly, if you aren't ready to have a dog at the center of your life don't get a weim. It's worse than having another kid as far as time and energy needs. I have often said that my extremely high needs, colicky, into everything son was much easier than my weimaraner puppy was. I can't imagine having one and homeschooling, running a house, etc unless I had a hobby of jogging miles a day and wanted to dog train several times a day, compete in sports, etc.

Also, they are really attached to their people, more than most dogs. This can lead to separation anxiety. One of my weims had to be put down for it, (she was a rescue) when she pulled her own teeth out chewing to escape our house. That was on sedatives! They also often don't love strangers.

That said, they love you like nothing else in the world, and are very very very smart. Someday, when I don't have young children, I will have one again.

Edited by ktgrok

I didn't read the other replies so this may be a repeat. I also wanted to get a Weimaraner but our vet said that they are too often a "skiddish" breed and she did not recommend them for families with young children. She said if we liked the look and build of the Weimaraner we should consider a Vizsla. I spoke with several Vizsla owners who said they were the best dog they ever had!

But then we were given a free Golden Retriever puppy from a family who could not care for him and our love affair with Goldens began. ;) I do truly think that Weimaraners are gorgeous dogs but I don't think in our home one would be as accomodating as our Golden is with our boys. They use him as a pillow when they watch tv!!! :D

We had former neighbors with a vizsla, and she was a wonderful dog. They'd have my then-5-yo dd come over regularly to help train the dog, and I was very impressed with the dog's calm,obedient personality. We did lots of research (like you're doing) when we were looking for a dog, and like a previous poster, we decided on a goldendoodle. LOVE HER! Perhaps not the dog you're looking for but she is the sweetest thing and so good with the kids - and my shadow. Have fun on your search for just the right dog for your family.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids, ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

We had a blue weim ("Blue Winkle"). She was fine around us & my baby brother. But very anxious when people came over. We had a dog psychologist come in & help us train her. We spent a lot of time socializing her with people. She had a nervous headshake when people came over. We tranquilized her during 4th of july fireworks. As she got older, she developed huge fat globs that had to be surgically removed. Finally, she had one that was so huge, it couldn't be removed. We nicknamed her Egor. Poor thing. After I got married, dh insisted on a standard poodle. I was opposed because of those big floofy poms, like you see in dog shows. But I finally caved and it has been the best temperment dog. All standard poodles tend to be very laid back, family type of dogs. Very easy to train. Easy to take places (even the vet!) My dad has a standard poodle, too and they get along great together (they have sleep overs, lol). Only downside has been that they need to be groomed 4x per year. But they don't really shed, either. BTW, we do not groom her with the silly poms, lol - and she's a beautiful dog. I hear goldendoodles are nice, too (part golden part standard poodle).

After I got married, dh insisted on a standard poodle. I was opposed because of those big floofy poms, like you see in dog shows. But I finally caved and it has been the best temperment dog. All standard poodles tend to be very laid back, family type of dogs. Very easy to train. Easy to take places (even the vet!) My dad has a standard poodle, too and they get along great together (they have sleep overs, lol). Only downside has been that they need to be groomed 4x per year. But they don't really shed, either. BTW, we do not groom her with the silly poms, lol - and she's a beautiful dog. I hear goldendoodles are nice, too (part golden part standard poodle).

YES, standard poodles are wonderful! I couldn't convince my husband, he thought they were too goofy, but we needed a non-shedding dog for my allergic kids. My goldendoodle is 75% poodle - mom a goldendoodle and dad a standard poodle - and we are both sold on poodles (standard) now. We get her groomed like a big teddy bear, and she too gets along with everyone, dog and person alike.

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids, ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

I had a friend who owned... I mean he belonged to a Weimie. LOL.

That dog lived in the suburbs, but really needed to RUN in the country. Energy, energy, energy. Good for single people who are runners. Not what I'd call a family dog, though.

Two thoughts:

1. If you DO decide to get one, be sure to have the puppy's hips x-rayed to check for signs of hip dysplasia.

2. If you DO decide to get one AND you live in the country, be careful about letting him out during hunting season. Sometimes Weimies are mistaken for deer. :crying:

Ok, I have to respond here. I nannied for almost a year for a couple that had 2 weimies. They were THE best dogs. I LOOOOVED them. As far as I know, they didnt do any formal training with them or 'work' them at all. They did, however, have a huge back yard for them to run in. they were calm dogs for the most part, very smart and seemed to even feel emotion sometimes. They got VERY anxious being left alone in the house for a long period so the 'parents' always got house sitters when they were leaving for overnights.

I really really loved the dogs. This was 10 years ago and within the last few years, both dogs have passed on and they have gone on to get TWO more weimie puppies. They love 'em =)

Ok, I have to respond here. I nannied for almost a year for a couple that had 2 weimies. They were THE best dogs. I LOOOOVED them. As far as I know, they didnt do any formal training with them or 'work' them at all. They did, however, have a huge back yard for them to run in. they were calm dogs for the most part, very smart and seemed to even feel emotion sometimes. They got VERY anxious being left alone in the house for a long period so the 'parents' always got house sitters when they were leaving for overnights.

I really really loved the dogs. This was 10 years ago and within the last few years, both dogs have passed on and they have gone on to get TWO more weimie puppies. They love 'em =)

That's a nice story. :) Thanks Rawbanana. Does anyone actually own one of these dogs that would like to respond?

We had a weim at one point, but she was fairly calm. High energy, but we were young and loved to run and chase. The dog got plenty of exercise.

For a young family with children, I don't think you can go wrong with a well-bred collie. Their protective instincts are so ingrained through centuries of breeding that many owners report their collies keeping their children out of inadvertent danger.

FYI, labs are also super high-energy dogs. Expect the dog to need at least a couple of hours of vigorous fetch or frisbee every day.

I'll add to my weim story:)

I wonder if breeder has a lot to do with it, too.

And our weim (I was a teen when we got her) was the most attached to her mom - I often wondered if that separation caused some of her social anxiety. My parents weren't real exercise, upkeep kind of people, either, so not sure if that was our problem, as well.

But with us, the family, she was fine. It was just strangers and uncertain situations that made her edgy (she did not handle that well - developed a nervous headshake as I mentioned above). But she was a sweet dog. Shortly after we got her, I came down with pleurisy and she spent that whole week on the foot of my bed. I was very comforted to have her there.

If you really really want a weim, I'd research the breeder and make sure it is a breeder that is in it for the love of the dog. I'd hook up with a breeder that only wants the best for that dog, and wants a good match between owner and dog. I think this can make a big difference!

We had a female Weimaraner growing up and I had a Weimaraner/Dalmation cross as a young adult. Our Weimaraner when I was a kid came to us pregnant from a breeder. He hit her in front of my mother who bought her on the spot. She had 10 puppies, so we had a lot of Weim experience!

What our two dogs had in common: both were laid back dogs--not at all hyper; I think the males have a higher tendency to be hyper than the females. Both were protective. (Our Weim growing up was extremely protective and did bite several people, most of whom she perceived to be hurting children: Bit our neighbor on the butt when she was in our front yard spanking her kid, bit my mom on the butt when she was spanking her kid (not me that time!), bit a guest at a neighbor's yard who was playing touch football with their kids and raised his arms over his head and went roaring like a bear after then (that was a pretty bad bite--she got him in the ribs, bit a smart-aleck paper boy whom my mother had warned not to open our front door to stick the paper in--he did it anyway....) My cross never bit anyone but she would go ape when someone came to the door and practically climb the plate glass window, with her lips curled back and a gurgling bark. I never worried about some delivery man deciding to come back for mischief, that's for sure. She was my security when I was single. Chelsea, my dog, was a total nanny dog once I had children. Both dogs were very tolerant of anything kids did. They would both walk away from a kid bothering them. The drawback for both was that they loved to escape and do the rounds of the neighbor's garbage cans. Ugh.

My cross was Houdini dog. She got out of every fence I ever built to contain her --cleared a 4 ft. fence from a standing jump and could scramble over a 5 + ft fence. I had to electrify it top AND bottom. She was in there with our other dog and her friend the black lab from next door, so she had plenty of company when I was at work--it was a very large pen--she just loved to run. She would nudge open sliding doors. Then she would be g-o-n-e on a binge. She would hide from me if she saw me coming (I would drive around for hours looking for her and would sometimes see her walk sneakily behind a bush! She seemed to have some mental rule that if I was x number of feet away and I called her, she would come... if she was outside the magic radius, she would hide or take off.) Since she got a bath when she came back smelling of garbage and since she hated baths, she stopped coming home and would go to her friend the black-lab's house, whose owner would let her in at all hours of the night after the lab started howling. <sigh> Lucky I had a good neighbor! She loved to run and I used to take her out in the woods and let her off the lead and she would just run and run. I loved that dog! (did not love all the chasing after dog on garbage binge, but in every other way she was totally perfect.) Very easy to train (again except for the garbaging) . She lived to be 15.

I don't own a weim, but our next-door neighbor does. He seems to be well-trained and sweet. His owner says the breed can really hyperfocus on things...this particular one is obsessed with food.

What is so cute is that lately our little, curly maltipoo and this tall, lanky weim have discovered each other. They run and play together. The weim lets our maltipoo jump all over him. Then he will pin her down, open his mouth to her neck, then back off (should I be worried with all this eating cats I hear about??). Anyway, it all seems sweet and playful. The weim will tear away from his owners to come across the street to our fence just to get a glimpse of our dog. So cute.

I owned a Weimaraner. Absolutely magnificent beast!

I loved this dog!!!

Highly intelligent, trainable, good natured, loyal, and highly energetic.

I would not say "high strung." We had an Irish Setter as a child, now there was a dog that was high strung. But a Weimaraner is not a "placid" breed, so perceptions of high strung may be relative.

What there can be no doubt about is that this breed has an energy and vitality that is almost hard to express without sounding hyperbolic.

As a young man I had a relationship with a woman who was a gifted equestrian and did three-day eventing and cross-work with horses, and she worked training other peoples horses in addition to her own. Everyday my Weimaraner (Cosmo) went out to the horse-barns and out with the horse on long conditioning runs over hill and dale. Often times 4 groups of horses would be taken out for these long and exhausting conditioning runs. In every instance Cosmo would be out in front of the horses (leading the charge) and then at the end of the day, when one might expect the dog might be tired, he would run around the perimeter of the paddocks until the day was done.

He had a simply astounding amount of energy!

When we went to the beach he would beg to play fetch. I could throw a tennis ball out into the breakers and he would beg for that game to continue until my (strong) arm would be about to fall off. As it he could go for hours.

Muscles rippled on top of muscles on this dog.

He loved training. I don't hunt (too bad for him as he would have loved it) but I did teach him to track and quarter and take hand signals.

He also understood about 5 forms of "fetch" which had their own rules. From the most formal and correct "fetch" which involved staying until released, then retrieving on command, returning directly, dropping the "ball" at my feet, sitting. Waiting for a "hup", which cued him to circle to heel...to varieties that let him return at his leisure. and varieties that meant return directly (but he didn't need to sit "formally"). In any case he knew exactly what was what. Very smart dogs! And they love training and work.

Cosmo was extremely friendly. But he had a fine sense of danger. There were a few times when he made it clear (by taking a stand and growling) to strangers that it was better not to proceed. He never bit anyone, was not an aggressive dog, but was protective at times when protective seemed wise. And then he was scary.

Weimaraners are magnificent and beautiful animals. Very noble. They need to be able to run (and run, and run).

A previous poster mentioned their hips. This can be (is) a weak spot in the breed. We ended up going out of state to find the right dog. It can't be a casual purchase, as nothing is sadder than a dog that needs to run, but can't.

If there are questions I can answer, fire away. Or maybe that is the wrong choice of words? :D

Bill

I owned a Weimaraner. Absolutely magnificent beast!

I loved this dog!!!

Highly intelligent, trainable, good natured, loyal, and highly energetic.

I would not say "high strung." We had an Irish Setter as a child, now there was a dog that was high strung. But a Weimaraner is not a "placid" breed, so perceptions of high strung may be relative.

What there can be no doubt about is that this breed has an energy and vitality that is almost hard to express without sounding hyperbolic.

As a young man I had a relationship with a woman who was a gifted equestrian and did three-day eventing and cross-work with horses, and she worked training other peoples horses in addition to her own. Everyday my Weimaraner (Cosmo) went out to the horse-barns and out with the horse on long conditioning runs over hill and dale. Often times 4 groups of horses would be taken out for these long and exhausting conditioning runs. In every instance Cosmo would be out in front of the horses (leading the charge) and then at the end of the day, when one might expect the dog might be tired, he would run around the perimeter of the paddocks until the day was done.

He had a simply astounding amount of energy!

When we went to the beach he would beg to play fetch. I could throw a tennis ball out into the breakers and he would beg for that game to continue until my (strong) arm would be about to fall off. As it he could go for hours.

Muscles rippled on top of muscles on this dog.

He loved training. I don't hunt (too bad for him as he would have loved it) but I did teach him to track and quarter and take hand signals.

He also understood about 5 forms of "fetch" which had their own rules. From the most formal and correct "fetch" which involved staying until released, then retrieving on command, returning directly, dropping the "ball" at my feet, sitting. Waiting for a "hup", which cued him to circle to heel...to varieties that let him return at his leisure. and varieties that meant return directly (but he didn't need to sit "formally"). In any case he knew exactly what was what. Very smart dogs! And they love training and work.

Cosmo was extremely friendly. But he had a fine sense of danger. There were a few times when he made it clear (by taking a stand and growling) to strangers that it was better not to proceed. He never bit anyone, was not an aggressive dog, but was protective at times when protective seemed wise. And then he was scary.

Weimaraners are magnificent and beautiful animals. Very noble. They need to be able to run (and run, and run).

A previous poster mentioned their hips. This can be (is) a weak spot in the breed. We ended up going out of state to find the right dog. It can't be a casual purchase, as nothing is sadder than a dog that needs to run, but can't.

If there are questions I can answer, fire away. Or maybe that is the wrong choice of words? :D

Bill

Most important question: will my next-door neighbor's weim eat my maltipoo? or does he really just think she's a fun friend? (see post above yours)

Most important question: will my next-door neighbor's weim eat my maltipoo? or does he really just think she's a fun friend? (see post above yours)

I would very highly doubt it. My (unfixed male) was very good with other dogs, and was especially gentle with ones smaller than himself.

There was one occasion where he met an "equally matched" matched male dog and it lead to a dog fight (which he lost). But he was around other dogs all the time, and this was one incidence in a dog-life. He was always gentle with small dogs, and children (although inadvertently knocking down a little one might have been an anticipated occurrence had I been in a family situation) given the boundless energy.

Bill

I would very highly doubt it. My (unfixed male) was very good with other dogs, and was especially gentle with ones smaller than himself.

There was one occasion where he met an "equally matched" matched male dog and it lead to a dog fight (which he lost). But he was around other dogs all the time, and this was one incidence in a dog-life. He was always gentle with small dogs, and children (although inadvertently knocking down a little one might have been an anticipated occurrence had I been in a family situation) given the boundless energy.

Bill

Here is our situation: I have 2 dd's (14 and 15), 2 grandchildren and one on the way, and elderly parents who come to visit occasionally. We have 10 acres with a pond. Our last dog was the most awesome lab retriever ever! (I may be a little biased):D She loved to swim, fetch, and run with us as we raced on the 4 wheelers. Is our life style conducive to a weim in your opinion? Or, should we stick with a lab. The reason I wasn't wanting to get another lab is because we just haven't found one like our last girl. I thought maybe a different breed would help us not compare the dog. Also, I had a weim when I was a child and just adored her, but I don't recall her being anything like what has been portrayed about the breed in these posts.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is our situation: I have 2 dd's (14 and 15), 2 grandchildren and one on the way, and elderly parents who come to visit occasionally. We have 10 acres with a pond. Our last dog was the most awesome lab retriever ever! (I may be a little biased):D She loved to swim, fetch, and run with us as we raced on the 4 wheelers. Is our life style conducive to a weim in your opinion? Or, should we stick with a lab. The reason I wasn't wanting to get another lab is because we just haven't found one like our last girl. I thought maybe a different breed would help us not compare the dog. Also, I had a weim when I was a child and just adored her, but I don't recall her being anything like what has been portrayed about the breed in these posts.

Thanks again for your help.

10 acres with a pond sounds like a pretty nice set up for a Weirmaraner. Compared with the average Lab, the typical Weirmaraner will have a bigger personality, be more energetic, and will be more intelligent. All qualities that have their upsides and downsides (depending what qualities one likes in a dog).

They are magnificent beasts, but they are more of a "beast" than your typical Lab. If you want a breed that will fetch, swim, and enjoy running on the wilds of your place, and be a loyal and protective family dog this is a good choice. But you have to understand you will be taking a dog that will consider themselves to be as "aristocratic" as the noblemen who were once their only legal keepers, and that they have an energy level and athleticism that requires them having space to run, play and work if they are going to be fully happy.

Bill

OK, so I own a Weim and he is wonderful. He was a rescue from a puppy mill and when we first got him, he ran away 4 times, wouldnt relax (would try and sleep standing up), never wagged his tail or played. But I chipped away at him. Took about a year and he has shown a subtle sense of humor and silliness that the breed is known for. He is with me all day long, every day, he sleeps in my room. He wont leave my room until I get up for the day (even if my dh or the other dog gets up and leaves - he wont) He stays where ever I am. He is not vocal - if my kids coax a bark from him he is a bit surprised at it. He seems to look to the other dog for clues on what to get excited about. He is very friendly, though hard to train. He walks wonderfully, right on my left side, no pullling.

We dont have a fence, but he has learned what is his area (cause I yell at him when he looks like he is heading for the neighbors). The cat is alpha dog. We were told a Weim would hunt a cat. Not true in every case!! In fact, we kept a Caique for about a year (a parrot) and the parrot was alpha too. I worked with them. Once I had the parrot right in front of Beauregards face and he, being a bird dog, very, very slowly opened up that big mouth and slowly eased it over the bird. The slowest bite I have ever seen. Didnt work tho!! Bird bit his nose.

I know most Weims are family dogs, the do NOT like being alone and may be destructive. Mine has never done this. I also potty trained him as an adult and he has had only about 2 accidents in the beginning. They are loyal, but not ferocious. When I took my dog back to the Weim Club that was in charge of the rescue, everyone was surprised that he turned out so normal.

I do think the breed has quirks - but its also what YOU are willing to do with them that makes a lot of difference. Beau knows he is loved. You have to be a strong leader, but never give corporeal punishment. They are "tender" emotionally in this regard and you can create a problem.

Wiems dont really see small kids as babies to be careful with (like some breeds) and will therefore PLAY, and knock everyone about. Not a lot of holding back at playtime! Beau has run directly AT me numerous times and I know if I move - or not- I am going to get hit - they just play ROUGH. We kid around that he is just not so smart - I think he is just a gentle, sweet guy who loves his mama!

Sorry - I had to go pick up my teen.

I also wanted to say that the breed standard is not like what a lot of previous posters have experienced. Sounds like most of what has been posted was the exception - not the rule!!!

They do need exercise (I walk my dogs about a mile a day - thats not much, and they run around the yard a bit) but not necessarily excessive excercise. They are not wild, tear 'em up uncontrolled canines. They need their humans, they are indoor dogs, they will not do well left outside or left alone too much. That might be a drawback.

Sorry - I had to go pick up my teen.

I also wanted to say that the breed standard is not like what a lot of previous posters have experienced. Sounds like most of what has been posted was the exception - not the rule!!!

They do need exercise (I walk my dogs about a mile a day - thats not much, and they run around the yard a bit) but not necessarily excessive excercise. They are not wild, tear 'em up uncontrolled canines. They need their humans, they are indoor dogs, they will not do well left outside or left alone too much. That might be a drawback.

I left off the humor-factor that you mentioned in your previous post. My Weirmaraner had a very good sense of humor.

I agree they are people dogs, but mine was equally comfortable sleeping indoors or out, and did both.

Mine was also not a "wild, tear 'em up uncontrolled canine" (not in any measure), but a mile a day walk would not have been close to sufficient exercise for him.

Bill

This thread has turned out to be more than I had hoped for. Thanks everyone.

The following remark surprises me because the lab, ranked number 7, makes the list of the top 10 most intelligent dogs where as the weimaraner is ranked 21 in the list.

Compared with the average Lab, the typical Weirmaraner will have a bigger personality, be more energetic, and will be more intelligent.

Makes me wonder what they base their rankings on.

Looks like we're going to give this weimaraner a try. I'll be giving you all my weim review in about a year.:tongue_smilie:

This thread has turned out to be more than I had hoped for. Thanks everyone.

The following remark surprises me because the lab, ranked number 7, makes the list of the top 10 most intelligent dogs where as the weimaraner is ranked 21 in the list.

Makes me wonder what they base their rankings on.

Looks like we're going to give this weimaraner a try. I'll be giving you all my weim review in about a year.:tongue_smilie:

I believe that rank them for "obedience trainability" so a dog like a Golden Retriever, which are not very bright rank really high. It is because they are not strong willed. The Lab would be more strong willed than the Golden, but Weirmaraner would be way more strong willed than the Lab. They do love training and working, which seems like a paradox.

Strong-willed and trainable? Yes! One has to be smart enough to master them. It is not as if they are "rebellious"' they are not. They just seem to have a sense of dignity, and like a little challenge in the relationship.

Bill

Intelligence in dogs is hugely complicated & quite controversial. Folks who really love a certain breed will not take it kindly if someone tells them their dog is known for being dumb.:D

Some breeds which are considered very intelligent score high because of what I think is more accurately termed 'biddability' - they are sensitive to their handlers & constantly waiting for instruction. I did that! Now what? What now? Huh? What should I do now? Go here? Go there?

Other breeds might be more independent & some handlers might say they're more intelligent exactly b/e they're independent. Assessors might say they're not smart b/e they're not great at following instructions over & over again.

Also - sometimes a really smart dog is a total PITA. They can be a lot of work LOL

Intelligence in dogs is hugely complicated & quite controversial. Folks who really love a certain breed will not take it kindly if someone tells them their dog is known for being dumb.:D

Some breeds which are considered very intelligent score high because of what I think is more accurately termed 'biddability' - they are sensitive to their handlers & constantly waiting for instruction. I did that! Now what? What now? Huh? What should I do now? Go here? Go there?

Other breeds might be more independent & some handlers might say they're more intelligent exactly b/e they're independent. Assessors might say they're not smart b/e they're not great at following instructions over & over again.

Also - sometimes a really smart dog is a total PITA. They can be a lot of work LOL

A guess I feel there is a difference between a breed that will be obedient because that is their nature (like a Golden) and one that is obedient because there is an earned mutual respect thing going on. As I said, my Weirmaraner knew 5 different forms of "fetch" (each with it's own rules). I could fully command him from horseback to come, stop, sit or stay. He listened.

If I told him to "sit/stay" and then threw a ball his eyes would practically bulge out of his head in excitement, and the tongue would be flapping like mad, but he would stay until released.

There is just an exuberance and vitality than is a little different than some of the more low-key retrievers. And as what I consider a highly intelligent breed (with a will of their own) they do take more "work" than a breed that obeys more on reflex.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I like the way Bill said Weims have a sense of dignity. I know what you mean! They are not the type to fall all over themselves to please you. They belong to themselves, but in the right relationship, they will do whatever you ask. A bit cat like??

Cricket asked about the humor part. When my dog began to loosen up, he would get my youngest dd's small toys and hold them in his mouth (not chew, just hold) and come sit beside me like nothing was happening. I could tell he had something and would give it to me right away. Everyday, if one checked his mouth, he would be hiding something. Barbies shoes, erasers. It was as though he was smiling to himself at "getting" stuff. He eats erasers now, I dont know how he finds them, because we hide them. But they all get chewed and then held in his mouth for us to "find". When I was recovering from surgery and could not get out of bed, he would come to the edge of the bed to watch me and he would bring me these toys, hidden in his mouth, to continue his regular programming, I guess. He thinks its funny to eat dirt clods, rocks, leaves and grass - he gets all silly and high spirited at this. He makes nests of his bedding - I hear a lot of Weims do this (Bill? Yours too?) When he is in a good mood, you can see it in his eyes - he nips at me and shoves me around and does this weird straight front leg kind of pawing (paws are huge, so he looks very silly) and will tear around the yard like a puppy at full speed. He will search the house for me if I leave the room - he doesnt care where anyone else is, but he MUST find me...so cute. He got a new toy once he liked so much he held it in his mouth all day (didnt play with it) and even took it on a walk.

Subtle.

I should also say, one of my dogs best buddies is a little Mini Pin, he likes smaller dogs - which is interesting because a lot of what is written about them makes them out to be unable to quell their hunting instinct; that they will be hunting the cats and smaller animals in the neighborhood. Also, my friend has a Doberman, who will bark the entire time we all walk together. My dog does not care and doesnt get his hackles raised or anything. The only time I ever heard him growl was when we found a lost dog, an exuberant lab, who would not stop jumping on me - Beau put himself between us and growled very softly.

Cricket said she had older folks and younger kids to consider. If they stay out of the way of the Wiem, they will be fine. Bill, what do you think?? But like I said before, they dont really limit their activity around you, dont know their strength and could knock over, unintentionally, a child or unstable adult.

Our dog is 50% Weimeraner and he does exhibit the following traits:

. We call him our velcro dog because he sticks to me like velcro. He loves to be with people.

. Exercise. He loves to be out and about. I take him for a long walk in the morning and a long walk in the evening. The kids take him in the yard to play and for shorter walks during the day.

. He is very smart. It did not take him long to figure out that he could jump the 3' section of our fence. Thanks to his velcro tendencies he only jumps it to greet family members and to chase the occasional squirrel. He always comes right back.

. He does not love being left alone. I always make sure I take him for an extra long walk if we are going to be gone for hours. If I don't, there is mischief. Once he managed to empty my wallet of everything without leaving a single bite mark. He has chewed up the occasional toy/flip flop, eaten a loaf a bread left to close to the counter edge, and moved shoes. When he does those things it is because we were bad owners. Like the Doberman I had as a kid you are only allowed to leave once a day. If you go out and come home and then leave again-guaranteed mischief.

He is a great dog.

He makes nests of his bedding - I hear a lot of Weims do this (Bill? Yours too?)

Mine had a dog-bed covered with a tough cloth cover. But you remind me that before he stettled into bed he would paw, circle, paw some more, circle a few more times, until he was convinced his bed was ready.

Bill

Cricket said she had older folks and younger kids to consider. If they stay out of the way of the Wiem, they will be fine. Bill, what do you think?? But like I said before, they dont really limit their activity around you, dont know their strength and could knock over, unintentionally, a child or unstable adult.

I think one could count on children being inadvertently knocked over from time to time if the dog is not especially well trained, for the reasons you describe. I've known some Labs like this too, but Weirmaraners more so.

Bill