Menu

High protein breakfast

I need ideas. We're sick of cereal and I want high protein foods for breakfast.

Here's my problem:

no eggs

no peanuts

no nuts

no quina

no sunflower seeds

no beans

no wheat

no turkey

no beef

Do you see my problem? Between my two kids this is the list of food they should avoid.

Cereal or yogurt with nut free granola is all we've been eating lately.

Chicken breast cubed and stir-fried, lamb, fish or goat meat as well. I like it with chard sauteed in soy sauce.

Can your kids eat egg whites? These are a very good form of protein and for some it's the yolk that is the issue.

Edited by Liz CA

Are you open to breaking away from what is considered standard or traditional breakfast fare, and eating lunch or dinner type foods? Given your restrictions, that might be your best option. There's really no reason, for example, that broiled fish can't be eaten before noon.

No egg whites either.

I have flax. Thanks for that tip.

We do eat fish but we haven't had it for breakfast. I need to expand my fish recipes.

I'm also toying with the idea of "restuarant dining" as our Dr. calls it. Ds1 is allergic to peanuts/nuts but not ds2. Ds2 is allergic to eggs/egg whites but not ds1.

So technically, ds1 could have eggs while ds2 has nut butter on his toast.

It's just exhausting trying to make healthy meals with so many constrictions. Makes me wish at times we'd never has allergy testing done.

I'm liking the suggestions.

Are you open to breaking away from what is considered standard or traditional breakfast fare, and eating lunch or dinner type foods? Given your restrictions, that might be your best option. There's really no reason, for example, that broiled fish can't be eaten before noon.

My first thought was "leftovers"

My girlfriend used to bring this dish into work for us sometimes. I don't know how open your kids would be to trying it, but it is so crazy good! We would eat it with bagles or big soft pretzels but you could it eat with any kind of bread/pancake type thing. I think I found a link which has a photo and the first response has the basic ingredients.

I'm not kidding, it's the ultimate breakfast.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/662707

I would try checking traditional breakfasts from Asian countries, you just might find something awesome.

Another favorite is congee, we love it sweet, with orange zest when it's piping hot.

Hmm.. maybe that's not high protein?

Edited by helena

In some parts of the world there is no difference between what is served for breakfast-lunch-dinner. Anything that you'd eat for a meal, would be fine for breakfast too.

There are some great ideas here already, here are a few more:

brown rice

tuna fish salad

chicken strips and country gravy

sausage biscuits

grilled cheese on gluten-free bread

How about making and freezing some breakfast burritos. There are wheat free versions of tortillas. I don't know if these freeze well but you could always premake the filling, roll it in foil and just put it into fresh tortillas in the morning.

Sausage/ham/bacon

Egg (for those who can have it)

Potatoes

Rice if desired

cheese

You can also just premake breakfast bowl foods like these and customize the mixtures easily.

When my kids were young, I used to make baby food and put it into ice trays to freeze it. Them pop them out and put into zipper bags. I can imagine that this would work for these foods too. That way you don't have to have the same premade version each day.

Another thought is to premake french toast. There are wheat free breads but I have never froze them before. They maybe not high in protein but I assume the eggs add a bit, especially if you use high protein bread. I think there are even fake eggs out there. Anyways, if you make the toast freeze on a cookie sheet (so it is flat) and then toss in a freezer bag, you can put it in the toaster to reheat.

I make a modified version of the More-With-Less Cookbook's High Protein Waffles. I *do* use eggs, but I don't think you need to. Substitute yogurt for milk and add protein powder if you wish. If you use a little yeast, you can get them light and crispy without the egg whites, and you can use spelt. (Or is that too close to wheat?).

I thought of another one. :)

Vietnamese crepe!

Google images for that or vietnamese pancake. They're yummy.

We buy the pancake mix from an asian market, the ingredients are: powdered rice, starch, and turmeric. You can fill it with anything, so for breakfast I would do tofu scramble and sauteed veggies.

Here's a photo of pancake and mix:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4GS7Iz_c16A/SiMsV1nMAhI/AAAAAAAAAds/krcXXBnjmkE/s400/5-28-2009%2B018.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cookingwithtien.blogspot.com/2009/05/vietnamese-crepes-bahn-xeo.html&usg=__8EBdrqd5xif4hf8UQ8cRMJu_PwY=&h=268&w=400&sz=40&hl=en&start=24&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=6jB5TzHtGlO5wM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvietnamese%2Bcrepe%2Bmix%26start%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

Fantastic sells a tofu scramble mix, though it does have wheat in the soy sauce power (which is an ingredient in the powdered mix)

Also there are tons of other recipes to make it if you do a search.

I make a modified version of the More-With-Less Cookbook's High Protein Waffles. I *do* use eggs, but I don't think you need to. Substitute yogurt for milk and add protein powder if you wish. If you use a little yeast, you can get them light and crispy without the egg whites, and you can use spelt. (Or is that too close to wheat?).

Sometimes you can replace eggs with this egg substitute:http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=8&cat=8&id=97. It works as a rising agent, not as an actual fleshy egg.

I'm also toying with the idea of "restuarant dining" as our Dr. calls it. Ds1 is allergic to peanuts/nuts but not ds2. Ds2 is allergic to eggs/egg whites but not ds1.

So technically, ds1 could have eggs while ds2 has nut butter on his toast.

DS 1 is old enough to learn to cook a couple of eggs, and any kiddo who can reach the counter can make toast. You can do sausage for both and that's at least one morning taken care of.

My 9 yo thinks getting to cook is a treat. :001_smile: It's not the best idea when you're in a hurry though.

DS doesn't like cereal and usually has non-traditional breakfasts.....he likes yogurt (plain believe it or not) with berries, cheese with cut melon - canteloupe or honeydew, sometmes ham & cheese or roast beef and cheese, this time of the year he likes yogurt shakes - vanilla yogurt with bananas and berries blended with milk. Some days he'll have some bacon or sausage with fruit (kid loves fruit) or sliced cucumbers that he likes to dip in ranch dressing.

Rice cakes can be good spread with cream cheese, or with cheese melted on top too. Also, what about frying up some hashbrowns or cubed potatoes with some ham chunks, and then melt some cheese on top? Or you could back ham chunks mixed with tater tots, onions, and peppers with cheese on top.

Something we do (but not for breakfast) is make bunches of waffles and muffins and freeze them, so that we can pull them out for on-the-go lunches and snacks. I've been getting more and more creative with deceptively-delicious style baked goods and something that's worked well is waffles made with blueberry pancake mix with quinoa flour added, white bean puree, more baking powder and frozen blueberries. We only use the mix because we had it on hand from a coupon-deal awhile back, so you could probably do them from scratch different ways if you wanted. They end up pretty dense but my kids like them toasted with plain cream cheese spread on them. If you experiment with adding white bean puree to different muffins etc, then you can add protein that way. If you make a bunch of different kinds and freeze them, then you can give kids different things.

If you're interested I'll go find my exact measurements that I figured. out.

My kids all have multiple and varied allergies too. Alot of mornings we have a fruit smoothie and I make seperate ones in the magic bullet for each child. For instance, Nathan has berries, hemp powder, xylitol, vanilla, cinnamon & coconut creme (girls are allergic to that) while the girls will have all that but with sunbutter (nathan is allergic to this) replacing the coconut creme. They each have their own little magic bullet cups, I wash the blender bottom between mixings and viola, breakfast individually made without allergens for each child.

Like many others have suggested, we have dinner foods for breakfast if we don't have smoothies. Having boiled eggs in the fridge for son #2 would make breakfast a snap for him.