Menu

Can anyone here share the major differences in Catholic, Methodist & Episcopalian?

I have been struggling terribly over churches/religious beliefs the last couple of years.

I was raised Catholic, saved in a Baptist church, and have been pretty much struggling between being Protestant and a return to the Catholic faith. I am wondering if one of these might be a good balance, because reformed Pres is not really where I want to be.

Thanks

I didn't see it in your list, but have you considered the Orthodox church? We have several people in our parish who converted from the Roman Catholic church. Our family was baptized into Orthodoxy in January and love the effect this has had on our faith. We were "born again" for dozens of years all told, but longed for the historical roots of the church. Everything we knew/practiced to that point had its foundation in the Reformation (and some of it just in the past 100 years or so), and we started wondering what had happened before that (some of which you're familiar with if you have a Roman Catholic background). This timeline helped me a lot. Attending services helped me more (*wow*).

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

My biggest problem with Catholicism is probably rooted in my protestant beliefs. I have a problem with confession and absolution by a priest. I truly believe that God forgives, through Jesus, when you are repenting to Him. I have read a lot on the subject in Catholic books, but I just can't accept it openly when I read different in the Bible.

As far as the Pres thing, I actually like a lot of things about the Pres church/service, but I am not reformed. I believe in free will.

The main thing that has kept me out of the other denominations I think is that they CAN be liberal. I would not want to go there.

I am not trying to start debate on any of the above. These are the things I have issue with at this time. Can anyone make any suggestions based on that?

You might be comfortable with the off-shoots of the Episcopal Church, like the CANA Anglican churches or even the Reformed Episcopal Church (which broke off in the 1880's in response to the Oxford Movement, and is firmly in the Protestant camp, while retaining the 7 Sacraments).

I'm not sure I'd recommend the "regular" Episcopal church, given the current controversies and your stated unliberal side.

'Course, you could come to MY Episcopal church. We're mainstream (not an off-shoot) but not liberal. At least some of our congregation is. Ahhhh....people.

I feel like I might be able to help more if I knew what wasn't a fit and what is important to you.

Try to clarify (for yourself) what you're wanting/not wanting. Based on your three choices I'm thinking part might be the Calvanistic slant to Reformed Pres?? Do you want conservative or more liberal? Traditions and historical context?

The Episcopal church in the US could be too liberal for you depending on your bent. Catholic is by and large more conservative. If you want conservative without a Calvanist bent Catholic might be your best place. If you want to avoid Calvanistic perspective but don't want the conservative necessarily Methodist or Episcopal might be a fit. John Wesley was part of the Anglican church so Episcopal. There will be a lot of similarity in salvation concepts between those two and also Catholic. They will have different hiearchy, history, liturgy. Catholic will be the most liturgical.

I'd look Eastern Orthodox too depending on your goals. It's as historical as the Catholic church and has tradition as old. You would get that linkage if it's important to you. There is no Pope so you'll see more independence. The theology is going to be familiar to you as it's similar to Catholic in many ways. It's got the history that might be important to you. However, the theologens involved are different and so it's going to be somewhat different--more Eastern than Western perspective/not influenced by Augustine. So it will be the similar but a bit different and could possibly be what you're looking for. I'm not Eastern Orthodox but I do appreciate the perspective/theology.

I wish you lots of good will as you search for the right fit for yourself. I hope you find it soon.

Edited by sbgrace

I was (taking a long time) to make the reply above while you were making the follow up post upthread so now I think I understand more where you're looking for.

You want conservative but not reformed essentially.

You do want some formal/liturgy though, is that correct?

That's a tough spot! I can see why you're torn on this.

I'm thinking that Episcopal and Methodist are going to be too liberal for you. Eastern Orthodox is still going to have the priest absolution part that you don't want. Edited based on information below: If Eastern Orthodox is confession but not absolution I think this is possibly a good option/worth investigating! As I said on the previous post we're not Orthodox so I'm not expert but everything I've ever looked into about their theology is biblical and you might be happy there.

Edited by sbgrace

Eastern Orthodox is still going to have the priest absolution part that you don't want.

I am not that familiar with the Catholic perspective on this, but I am learning about the Orthodox belief. In our church, we confess to Christ, with the priest there as a witness to it. The absolution is from Christ, not from the priest. In fact when I am participating in the sacrament of confession the priest is standing beside me and we are both facing the altar. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I kneel, sometimes there are long silences. Strangely enough, it is very similar to how my dad, a pastor of Southern Baptist Church in Texas, handles people when they come to him. They just don't call it "The Sacrament of Confession", even though that is what is happening.

Surprisingly, I *love* going to confession. OK, well, I am always nervous when I do go, but love the process and the feeling afterwards. My priest is truly my spiritual mentor, and I love that he is beside me helping me be honest ;). And when he reminds me that through the mercy of Christ I am forgiven of everything, even the things I don't know to confess or remember to bring to confession... wow! What was a big hangup of moving from protestantism has become one of my favorite parts of joining the Orthodox church.

Please forgive me if I have offended any or misrepresented the Orthodox belief in any way, I am still new at this. There are so many wise Orthodox ladies on this board... I hope they chime in! (blushing now, I think I got a little carried away! Sorry !)

I really, really appreciate the orthodox perspective. I didn't intend to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I'm glad HappyGrrl corrected me and I imagine she's correct as they are theologically sound in the areas I've looked into before. I think this might be the fit for you.

If you read scripture there is certainly support for confession to others and in the presence others. It's obvious correct theology is important to you and imo Eastern Orthodox has solid biblical theology. It's worth looking into.

Edited by sbgrace

I am not that familiar with the Catholic perspective on this, but I am learning about the Orthodox belief. In our church, we confess to Christ, with the priest there as a witness to it. The absolution is from Christ, not from the priest. In fact when I am participating in the sacrament of confession the priest is standing beside me and we are both facing the altar. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I kneel, sometimes there are long silences. Strangely enough, it is very similar to how my dad, a pastor of Southern Baptist Church in Texas, handles people when they come to him. They just don't call it "The Sacrament of Confession", even though that is what is happening.

Surprisingly, I *love* going to confession. OK, well, I am always nervous when I do go, but love the process and the feeling afterwards. My priest is truly my spiritual mentor, and I love that he is beside me helping me be honest ;). And when he reminds me that through the mercy of Christ I am forgiven of everything, even the things I don't know to confess or remember to bring to confession... wow! What was a big hangup of moving from protestantism has become one of my favorite parts of joining the Orthodox church.

Please forgive me if I have offended any or misrepresented the Orthodox belief in any way, I am still new at this. There are so many wise Orthodox ladies on this board... I hope they chime in! (blushing now, I think I got a little carried away! Sorry !)

Very well stated. In many cases, it's very much a one on one counseling session, but with a spiritual aspect to it. Very much what I've seen in Protestant and Anabaptist churches, but the difference is, I actually TRUST my priest and know that what I say is confidential. I've NEVER been able to trust a protestant minister in that way.

You might be comfortable with the off-shoots of the Episcopal Church, like the CANA Anglican churches or even the Reformed Episcopal Church (which broke off in the 1880's in response to the Oxford Movement, and is firmly in the Protestant camp, while retaining the 7 Sacraments).

I'm not sure I'd recommend the "regular" Episcopal church, given the current controversies and your stated unliberal side.

'Course, you could come to MY Episcopal church. We're mainstream (not an off-shoot) but not liberal. At least some of our congregation is. Ahhhh....people.

I am a cradle Episcopalian who was attending a very liberal Episcopal church. With all the controversy, I am now attending a CANA Anglican Church. It is nice because I still have the liturgy that I so adore without some of the really liberal issues that have recently surfaced.

It might be a good in-between place to look into.

When you say Orthodox, is this Eastern Orthodox or ???? Do you have a link?

It sounds like Catholic and Orthodox confession is essentially the same. Except, Catholics sit face to face with the priest or, if you prefer, behind the screen.

When you say Orthodox, is this Eastern Orthodox or ???? Do you have a link?

Yes, I mean the Eastern Orthodox Church (sorry!). I joined the church with my family this past January, though I had been actively participating in the church for over a year before that.

Links... hmmmm.... there are tons! I don't want to hijack this thread too badly, so I can direct you to this previous post that has lots of good info, and this site where there are lots of fantastic podcasts. There is also an Exploring Orthodoxy social group here, and you can PM me any time.

I am a firm believer that God shows up in many churches, not just mine. However, I have been a real Christian for 30 years, but am just now progressing in my spiritual life, with joy and freedom. Can you tell I'm excited about that? I love my church!

Again- please forgive any offense I cause in my enthusiasm! I am a little clumsy when I try to explain something so important. :)

The form of the Roman Catholic confession is "bless me, Father, for I have sinned..." And like the Orthodox confession, it is not the priest himself who absolves sins; here is a brief explanation from the Catholic Encyclopedia entry:

Finally, the confession is made not in the secrecy of the penitent's heart nor to a layman as friend and advocate, nor to a representative of human authority, but to a duly ordained priest with requisite jurisdiction and with the "power of the keys", i.e., the power to forgive sins which Christ granted to His Church.

No Catholic believes that a priest, simply as an individual man, however pious or learned, has power to forgive sins. This power belongs to God. Since He has seen fit to exercise it by means of this sacrament, it cannot be said that the Church or the priest interferes between the soul and God; on the contrary, penance is the removal of the one obstacle that keeps the soul away from God. authority, but to a duly granted to His alone; but He can and does exercise it through the ministration of men.

The form of the Roman Catholic confession is "bless me, Father, for I have sinned..." And like the Orthodox confession, it is not the priest himself who absolves sins; here is a brief explanation from the Catholic Encyclopedia entry:

Finally, the confession is made not in the secrecy of the penitent's heart nor to a layman as friend and advocate, nor to a representative of human authority, but to a duly ordained priest with requisite jurisdiction and with the "power of the keys", i.e., the power to forgive sins which ChristChurch. granted to His

No Catholic believes that a priest, simply as an individual man, however pious or learned, has power to forgive sins. This power belongs to God. Since He has seen fit to exercise it by means of this sacrament, it cannot be said that the Church or the priest interferes between the soul and God; on the contrary, penance is the removal of the one obstacle that keeps the soul away from God. authority, but to a duly granted to His alone; but He can and does exercise it through the ministration of men.

I believe this is the difference. The second paragraph is seen as contradicting this particular phrase. Also, now you brought up penance....which is also viewed differently from what I have been taught.

Catholic Encyclopedia entry[/url]:

Finally, the confession is made not in the secrecy of the penitent's heart nor to a layman as friend and advocate, nor to a representative of human authority, but to a duly ordained priest with requisite jurisdiction and with the "power of the keys", i.e., the power to forgive sins which Christ granted to His Church.

I know exactly what this is trying to convey, but I agree that this paragraph is worded strangely. When I go to reconciliation, I'm confessing my sins to Christ. When I say, "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned," it's similar to asking a friend to pray me. My priest will offer help and guidance, which I appreciate, but it's definitely not about another human being forgiving my sins. Sacramental confession has several components, but it's definitely God that you're confessing to!

Here's the thing re: Catholicism (whether or not one buys into it is not my concern on a message board - I'm not trying to convince anyone).

Pretty much everyone has heard the whole "You are Peter, and upon you I will build my church..." thing that started it all at the time of Jesus. Then everyone starts arguing about rocks vs men etc. What most people miss is this, which is that everyone is reading translations in Greek, and that in Aramaic, it is pretty clear that Jesus was making Peter the first pope, the foundation of the Catholic church.

What is the point of this? Well, it worked pretty well for a long time. The church, as in universal, stood as "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church" until the Great Schism of 1054, at which point it divided East and West (who left whom is still under debate). The Orthodox went one way, and although it has Orthodox sects, it never had any reformation type thing. The RCC, on the other hand, had Luther splinter off via the reformation, then a counter-reformation, and then the bazillion splinters that went from there. The RCC itself still stands as it always has, but it has spawned a whole bunch of other groups that disagreed with it.

So where does that leave you? For TRADITIONAL traditions, as someone has already written, the Catholic Church, either RCC or Orthodox is where it all began, and where it still is. Next out of the gate is Lutheranism, followed closely by the Anglican Church (though there are some pretty liberal ones about). After that, it is really kind of a "go shopping for what fits" kind of thing.

It sounds to me like you're looking for Lutheranism.

asta

We are ELCA Lutherans. Our churches can be rather liberal. If you want to avoid that completely, try the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. They are more conservative, but can be very charasmatic, too. I love our church, though, so ... try several different branches!

As far as the Pres thing, I actually like a lot of things about the Pres church/service, but I am not reformed. I believe in free will.

Have you tried the Presbyterian Church USA? It could likely give you what you like but with the doctrine you're comfortable with. It's different from the OPC, PCA (which is the denomination I attend), etc.

We're Lutheran (Missouri Synod) and we are very conservative. There are a lot of Lutheran/Catholic jokes out there ("We're Catholics in shorts", "You know you're Lutheran when you sit in your assigned seat at service", etc) but, in all seriousness, Lutherans and Catholics have a lot in common. In fact, one of my former pastors had also been a Roman Catholic priest. LCMS might be something you would be interested in...

Also, I don't know much about Presbyterians, but my son went to one of their church preschools and they were the darn nicest people I have ever met in my life. We actually cried in the parking lot when it was time to say good-bye at the end of the school year.

:grouphug: Good luck with your search.

I grew up Methodist. The individual churches vary quite a bit from very traditional to very contemporary. It is not unusual for some of these congregrations to have two or three services to cater to these tastes. For example, early morning might be quick traditional service with bell choir. Midmorning, a traditional service with some contemporary aspects and a full choir. Later on in the day, a very contemporary service with modern Christian gospel music.

In your search, I'd suggest you choose a few churches, attend the services, and talk with the pastor/priest about your beliefs and the church's theology.

Good luck! Remember that your search is part of the journey. Do not be In a rush to find what works for you. ;)

We're Lutheran (Missouri Synod) and we are very conservative. There are a lot of Lutheran/Catholic jokes out there ("We're Catholics in shorts", "You know you're Lutheran when you sit in your assigned seat at service", etc) but, in all seriousness, Lutherans and Catholics have a lot in common. In fact, one of my former pastors had also been a Roman Catholic priest. LCMS might be something you would be interested in...

I have a good friend who is a Missouri Synod pastor who says he is "Catholic with one-third less dogma".

I have always thought that was funny.

a

I was raised Methodist and my partner was raised Roman Catholic. We visited several churches before finding the right fit in the Episcopal church. In the end, the sermons and message and readings and music were more or less the same between all three churches. But the feeling was different. We found the Episcopal church as a wonderful middle ground... a church that was warm and friendly and smart and socially progressive and yet liturgically conservative... It met our need to be a church that has a respect for tradition, a focus on the community, and room for people wherever they are their 'journey' in faith. So I find it refreshing and comforting and progressive and traditional all at the same time. But not everyone is looking for what we were looking for!

Wow. You have a tall order. Its so hard to find that middle ground. I grew up Catholic until my mother met some friends who convinced her to go to their church. After that we bounced around to Baptist, Assembly of God ,, etc.

When I got married I attended the Methodist church and the only similarity to Catholisim would be the fact they say the Doxology, and Apostle's Creed once a year. Other then that its similar to the Presbyterian church.

You may want to ask a priest more about the Catholic faith. It it still isn't something you believe I would maybe try a Luthern church.

Right now we are in a Faith Evengelical church. Though the church itself is nice and the members are friendly its not our cup of tea. I'm finding that I'm drawing nearer to the Catholic church myself. Like you have some doubts about some things I guess I don't quite understand yet.

Interesting thread, and one I've followed silently for several days.

When I was growing up, my family was agnostic with regular dabblings in astrology, seances, ouja board, etc.. When I was...I think 12? My mom dropped me off at a Lutheran church and told me I'd be going through 4 years of "Confirmation classes." I asked her why she'd make me do that when nobody else in our family was going to church and she told me it was so that I could decide for myself what to believe.

So...I did 4 years of confirmation classes and was confirmed at 16 - having no idea what that meant.

Then I turned atheist and spent the next several years largely unconcerned about God.

In college, I got tired of Christians trying to save me, so I decided to study the Bible on my own to refute them. I studied with...Jehovah's Witnesses for 3.5 years.

After that I decided JW had it wrong, and if they had it wrong and theirs was "The Truth" then nobody was right. Back to agnostic.

Finally, God worked on my heart and brought me to Christ (this is the condensed version, the long version hurt a lot).

Now, I find that after almost 13 years of non-demoninational Bible church, I'm ready to return to...

A more traditional church.

Go figure. Hubby agreed to visit a church with me this weekend. We're going to go check out the Orthodox in Austin and others from there.

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I'm feeling led. :)

.... We're going to go check out the Orthodox in Austin and others from there.

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I'm feeling led. :)

This article was extremely helpful reading before we visited an Orthodox church the first time. Enjoy your visit. :)

To the OP, I think either Methodist or Anglican (like CANA) may be right for you. United Methodist churches vary widely. Although we are living in the South, this area is not very southern. Over here, the Methodist churches are too liberal for us. In Florida and Alabama, we found Methodist churches that were right for us- very grounded in the Bible. Our family changes churches when we move. It all depends on where we live. While I am more reformed in my view of salvation, we do prefer Methodist churches at times based on the congregation. We chose churches based on a variety of things. Except for the PCA church, which does put a great emphasis on their theological view of salvation, most of the other churches we have been members of have not stressed that. So we were fine at the Methodist churches where presumably the pastor believed in free will while we believed in predestination. The sermon series were never about such theological points but more about Christian Living.

You have to consider your stance on family when you look at an Episcopal church. They are largely very liberal, and many are open to other faiths as a way to God.

Our church is a breakaway church from the Episcopal Church of the USA (ECUSA) because it maintains orthodox beliefs and traditions. We are now members of the new Anglican Province in North America (ACNA), and are called an Anglican church as opposed to Episcopal.

imo, an Anglican church may be the answer to your dilemma, as it holds the traditions and liturgy of the RCC--the creeds, Eucharist, sacraments, etc, but they don't pray to Mary and the saints, no weekly confession (there is confession if needed, but it is done more on a corporate basis as part of the weekly liturgy)--in essence it's protestant.

My mom's family are Episcopalians or Anglicans (depending on how theologically liberal they are) and my dad's family are Catholics. The big differences in doctrine are:

(1) Sola Scriptura vs. Scripture plus Tradition. Episcopalians/Anglicans come down on the Protestant side of this theological controversy, with Scripture as the final authority in doctrine.

(2) Sola Fides vs. Faith plus Works. Again the E/A come down on the Protestant side.

(3) Papal authority. Ditto

(4) Consubstantiation vs. transubstantiation. Both believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, but disagree on whether the bread & wine retain any of its substance. Catholics say no, E/A say yes.

(5) Beliefs about Mary. Catholics believe in her Immaculate Conception, perpetual virginity, and bodily assumption into Heaven. E/A do not.

(6) Divorce & remarriage, use of artificial contraceptives & assisted reproduction. E/A are okay with these, Catholics are not.

Those are the biggies that come to mind, I'm sure there are plenty others.

(4) Consubstantiation vs. transubstantiation. Both believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, but disagree on whether the bread & wine retain any of its substance. Catholics say no, E/A say yes.

I just asked my hubby, who's an Episcopal priest, and he said the proper term for Episcopalians is not consubstantiation (which is actually Lutheran) but just plain ol' Real Presence. So yes, it's different from both Lutheran and Catholic doctrine.

We just love the Mystery and don't try to name it other than that.

Just fwiw.

The orthodox churches are still considered to be "in communion" with the Catholic Church. That means that although they do not accept Papal authority, their doctrines are stilll in line with Catholic doctrine.

The Catholic church does teach that we are saved through faith alone, but that faith is meaningless without works. Works are a sign of faith, and without works your faith is not complete. Jesus does not just call us to believe, he calls us to act on those beliefs, and so without the works the faith is hollow.

Although Catholics do not believe in "Sola Scriptura," that does not mean that Scripture has less importance, it is just that the Tradition is also important. The Tradition of the church (Tradition with a capital T, not "traditions," such as rosaries or certain prayers, those are not the same thing) all have roots and or justifications found in holy scripture. The way the Bible came into existence about also has roots in Tradition, as the church leaders who decided what books to include looked to Tradition to weed out some of the gospels and other popular books that might have been included, but were ultimately left out. Therefore, Scripture and Tradition are intertwined, you can't have one without the other.

Many Protestant leaders, such as Luther, did away with the sacraments they felt did not have enough of a biblical basis. However, if you research the matter you will find that although many Catholics are ignorant of the scriptural evidence behind the seven sacraments, it does exist and you can learn about the seven sacraments from a biblical perspective.

If you are truly interested in learning about the origins of Catholic doctrine and the sacraments (you mentioned you had problems with confession) from a scriptural perspective (I know this is appealing for many protestants), then I would recommend the works of Dr. Scott Hahn. He is a former Methodist minister who coverted after his own intensive Bible studies, and he has written many books and has many great lectures about the early church, salvation history, the sacraments, the doctrines concerning Mary, etc. from a biblical standpoint. It is his mission to educate Catholics about the scriptures and help them become more Bible literate, as this is often not an emphasis among Catholics. His work is very interesting for those from any denomination.

http://www.scotthahn.com/

here is his book pertaining solely to the sacrament of confession:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Have-Mercy-Healing-Confession/dp/0385501706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275409291&sr=8-1

I am a Catholic, but I love learning about the differences and commonalities between all religions, not just the Christian ones. I find that recognizing the truth in what others believe helps strengthen my own beliefs, and it helps cultivate healthy respect for other religions and cultures. Good for you for deciding to investigate the matter further, it is a worthwhile endeavor for everyone.

I just wanted to second (and third) the pp's who posted about the United Methodist churches. My dh is a Methodist minister in NC, and the spectrum from liberal to conservative is very wide. My dh actually grew up Southern Baptist, so he is on the conservative side of things and leads his congregations that way. There are lots of conservative churches. However, there are some extremely liberal Methodist churches, too. You really have to visit the individual church to find the slant of that congregation, and realize too that the pastor there won't be there forever. Methodist ministers are itinerant and are appointed for varying lengths of stays. Usually, the bishop and the board try to get a feel for the minister's and the church's theology to properly match them, but it doesn't always work perfectly.