Menu

For those of you who covet rain gutter bookshelves...

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Look what I stumbled upon at IKEA! They make something called the Ribba Picture Ledge (in 72, 45 or 22 inch lengths) that is perfect for displaying children's books. DH just put mine up last night and I'm in heaven! The kids love it too. They milled about for the longest time picking their stories for last night and dd5 kept saying, "I didn't know we had this one!" :lol:

I also bought two of the 45" ones for ds's bunk beds. They're a much better price than the Pottery Barn ones I've been wanting ($15 vs. $60).

ETA: If you don't know what rain gutter bookshelves are, you should consider picking up a copy of Jim Trelease's The Read-Aloud Handbook. :D

ETA again: The ledge comes in black too. Here's all the Ribba stuff.

ETA #3: Someone asked about the ledges for the bunk beds so I included a couple of pics after DH put them up. The boys love them!

post-5983-13535083519572_thumb.jpg

post-5983-13535083526497_thumb.jpg

post-5983-13535083526901_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Nice!! I did install rain gutter shelves, but these look amazing. I put the shelves up by our bunk beds too. I was sick of having to move 20 books to make up beds :tongue_smilie:. I was all ready to buy the ridiculously expensive PB shelves when I stumbled upon the gutters. So thankful for cheaper solutions.

I'm going to remember these as another alternative...no shelves in the baby's room yet.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Wow, where do I get the wall space to go with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Laura

:lol: DH kept pointing out to me, "You know you're giving up a whole wall, right?" I'm no mathematician but yeah, I got it. :lol: Giving up is a relative term though, because I kept saying, "But look what I'm getting! A giant wall of books!"

As to where I found the space, I recently relocated our schoolroom to the dining room (more convenient location) and made the schoolroom a playroom. I've got all the toys in cubbies across from the books.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Neato! Are those the 72" length in that pic? They look much longer.

There are 6 72" shelves, 144" per row. :D

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I was just wondering last night, if in our next house it would be tacky to have wall to wall bookcases!

Egads, no! It would be heavenly! See Irishmommy's post for more validation. :D

Wow those are really cool. I would love to display my dc and dh's artwork like that too. They're kind of pricey though, considering how many you would need to go across a whole wall like that (especially three times!). Hmmm... I am going to have to really think about those.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Wow those are really cool. I would love to display my dc and dh's artwork like that too. They're kind of pricey though, considering how many you would need to go across a whole wall like that (especially three times!). Hmmm... I am going to have to really think about those.

Yes, I thought about buying some of the shorter ledges and Ribba frames for the door wall and letting the kids display their art. In time... The frames and those short ledges would amount to almost what I paid for this wall so I'm weighing it.

It was $120 to do what's in the picture. I have no idea how much actual rain gutters would have been. DH never went for that idea but was happy with these. To me, it's money well spent since so many of the books we spent good money on weren't being read, just forgotten in their spine-out on the shelf state.

Thanks for the idea !

I just moved my 3 younger boys into the spare bedroom and I needed to come up with a nice decorating theme. I had all this blank wall space on four walls and I needed ideas to fill them up in an educational theme.

I was originally planning to use a historical timeline to run around the center of the room with coordinating posters, artifacts and such.

Now, I think I am going to run the classical history timeline still through the center of the room on all the walls, but add the ikea bookshelves directly over the timeline and then use coordinating books at each of the timeline events.

Such as, in ancient history, put in all our pretty cover books on ancient civilization and egypt etc.

This will be so great for the boys at night when they pick out books to read before bed with their booklights.

I can then still put up the giant 5 foot tall posters of the egyptian tomb and roman soldiers I picked up at the Educational & Fun store last weekend.

Thanks for the great idea !!

My husband probably won't be as thankful (he has to install everything) :lol: but I am thrilled with the idea !!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Now, I think I am going to run the classical history timeline still through the center of the room on all the walls, but add the ikea bookshelves directly over the timeline and then use coordinating books at each of the timeline events.

Such as, in ancient history, put in all our pretty cover books on ancient civilization and egypt etc.

I LOVE this idea! How lovely! Wheels turning...searching for more empty wall space... :lol: Every fiber of my book-loving, history and timeline-loving, matchy-matchy self adores this idea.

My husband probably won't be as thankful (he has to install everything) :lol: but I am thrilled with the idea !!

I will say these were pretty easy to install. DH was shocked and annoyed that the shelves didn't come with the hardware though. I was surprised too but I guess since you're putting the shelves into walls and IKEA doesn't know if you need anchors, wood screws, drywall screws, etc., they leave it to you to make those choices. When we lived in Germany, the walls were concrete block so the anchors and screws DH used last night would not have passed muster.

Thanks for the idea !

I just moved my 3 younger boys into the spare bedroom and I needed to come up with a nice decorating theme. I had all this blank wall space on four walls and I needed ideas to fill them up in an educational theme.

I was originally planning to use a historical timeline to run around the center of the room with coordinating posters, artifacts and such.

This will be so great for the boys at night when they pick out books to read before bed with their booklights.

I can then still put up the giant 5 foot tall posters of the egyptian tomb and roman soldiers I picked up at the Educational & Fun store last weekend.

Great idea!

Thanks for the idea !

Oooo, I think I love this idea! Forget about sticky-tacking the old laminated time to the wall. How awesome would a whole themed shelf be!!!!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Well, for you people who like the timeline/book ledge idea, if you're going to IKEA anyway, do consider this fine product. :D You can also get corner pieces and rings to clip on timeline cards. We were already doing our timeline on this wire but all this brainstorming might have me doing some more rearranging here...

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I have a feeling i will need to exercise great restraint at Ikea--lol!

Good luck with that! :lol:

I think I'll have to go back this week... :auto:

Well, for you people who like the timeline/book ledge idea, if you're going to IKEA anyway, do consider this fine product. :D You can also get corner pieces and rings to clip on timeline cards. We were already doing our timeline on this wire but all this brainstorming might have me doing some more rearranging here...

You could probably use a simple 3X5 card for your timeline, punch a hole in the corner with your hole punch and put a paper clip through it then use that to attach it to this cord. That might be less expensive.

We do something similar on our wall for a timeline right now but I've just tacked up a ribbon to hang the cards from. I really like the books around the timeline idea!!!

I guess I'm the only odd ball here that actually went to Lowes and put rain gutters on my walls. I think it cost my a total of $30 to get 20 feet of shelving space (that included the hardware). For the record, everyone who has seen them, loves them! The kids were quite excited to have a place to store book in their rooms. (I had the man at Lowes cut them into 5 foot sections for me.)

post-10875-13535083521672_thumb.jpg

post-10875-13535083521672_thumb.jpg

Edited by crl
add picture

I'd love to see a pic of how you paired them with your bunk beds as well. :D

I've been spending the last two days rearranging the kids' rooms trying to figure out where to put all their books! This has given me some great ideas...thanks!!

:lol: DH kept pointing out to me, "You know you're giving up a whole wall, right?" I'm no mathematician but yeah, I got it. :lol: Giving up is a relative term though, because I kept saying, "But look what I'm getting! A giant wall of books!"

I have rain gutter shelves on a 21' wall in my school/play room and it has been a pain sometimes not being able to put furniture there, but we do love having a wall of books!

I guess I'm the only odd ball here that actually went to Lowes and put rain gutters on my walls. I think it cost my a total of $30 to get 20 feet of shelving space (that included the hardware). For the record, everyone who has seen them, loves them! The kids were quite excited to have a place to store book in their rooms. (I had the man at Lowes cut them into 5 foot sections for me.)

I've had rain gutter shelves since 2006 and we love them, they were easy to put up and they are really inexpensive.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

No, several others have also. It's definitely more inexpensive but, as I said before, DH wouldn't go for it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that our home needs rain gutters... :confused: I don't know. I just know that I bought these and was perfectly satisfied with the price for what I got--a wall of books I've always dreamed of, DH's approval, and installation. :D

I'd love to see a pic of how you paired them with your bunk beds as well.

DH is supposed to put those up next. I'll send you pics when he does.

I'm afraid to look at these, because yesterday I had dh pick up 4 10ft vinyl rain gutters with brackets, to do our shelves!! If these are cheaper & cuter, I am going to scream!:D

These are probably not cheaper (basically I have 36' of shelving for $120). I personally feel that the rain gutter shelves are cuter. For DH, these are more...I don't know...stock? He likes things to be used for the purpose intended. (In ds7's nursery, he didn't love that I used an adorable old potting bench for his changing table. I just loved to make jokes about repotting him when I changed his diaper! :lol: I personally thought it was completely hilarious.) If your DH picked them up for you, you're good to go. DH was my stumbling block or I could have had actual rain gutter shelves years ago. :tongue_smilie: I do have to give the man full credit though; he has never once asked me to stop buying books or bookshelves and willingly assembles and installs every shelf I do bring home. :001_wub:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
For those who bought actual rain gutters, how exactly did you mount them on the walls? I love wall shelves but I am always afraid of having things come crashing down, especially with something heavy like books on them.

Well, we didn't do the rain gutters but if you've got drywall like we do, just buy the anchors for the screws. They hold incredibly well. When DH put my china rail up in the dining room (relocated now again though due to the schoolroom moving :001_rolleyes:), I refused to believe my china wouldn't come crashing down until all 200 lbs of my DH was hanging on that china rack to prove to me it would hold strong. Those anchors really work well!

Whoa! Wow! I need this anyway for art projects, right? So an additional one for a timeline, with the 24 clips package, that won't be a big deal, right? And then, since we have to go to Ikea anyway, we might as well give the ledge shelf idea a go, right? Right? :auto:

Thank you so, so much for enabling...err...sharing. :D

Guest Alte Veste Academy
You could probably use a simple 3X5 card for your timeline, punch a hole in the corner with your hole punch and put a paper clip through it then use that to attach it to this cord. That might be less expensive.

Oh, and as a cheaper idea for the wire thingy (although not as tailored looking) is a piece of rope/twine and colorful clothes pins!;)

DH's nickname is Meticuloso (when he uses his perfectionistic powers for good; he has another, less complimentary nickname when he uses his powers for evil. :D SNL fans, you should see the man save leftovers in aluminum foil. :lol:).

Irishmommy, you nailed it when you said tailored looking. I can sneak in a lot of homeschool decor around here by making it look as tailored as possible. It's like he doesn't notice that homeschool is taking over the house as long as it's matching and kept reasonably tidy. :lol: He's pretty excited about the periodic table shower curtain!

I just thought of another adorable use for these shelves in my home !

I need something to hold my HUGE cookbook collection.

This shelves would be so cute in my farmhouse kitchen and holding my collection of cookbooks.

I can even hang my pretty pots and pans underneath the shelves.

I can't wait to hit Ikea, thanks for so many awesome ideas !

Of course, now I have to pick up that curtain wire thingy too, I can use several of those around my home, one for art projects and one for timeline cards.

Great ideas ladies !!

Ok ladies, these are all very cute... BUT if you are the least bit handy, may I challenge you to make these: (Click the pictures or the link under the picture for directions/plans for building)

April-pics-021.gif

http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/01/plans-clip-art-rails.html

img50l.jpg

img12l.jpg

http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/02/plans-bedford-project-table-top-with.html#more

We made the clothespin item as a Kindergarten math project using a wooden yard stick! I let ds paint the clothespins and they we discussed how to use a yard stick for measuring and what inches were and then glued the clothespins on aevery 3 or 4 inches apart. It was a great project that we then used to display more homeschool projects!

Michelle My Bell ~ thank you for posting those ideas. I checked out her blog and all I can say is "Wow!". Unfortunately, I am NOT handy but my dh is ~ soooo, maybe I can convince him! LOL!:D (Of course, if it gives him the "excuse" no "need":D to buy some tools then even better!)