Menu

I live on the gulf coast and...

I am so sad tonight about the environmental disaster in our area. This area is amazingly beautiful and the thought of the delicate wetlands being destroyed just makes me sick. I just don't know what to think about this all. There may already be a thread going, but I didn't see it, so I am sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I too am worried about the long term consequences. There are fishing communities in the area that are already fragile. It is hard to imagine what the ultimate fallout of it all will be. I am just now starting to research because I have been in denial the last few days.

I'm praying that the clean-up effort will be intense and as quick as possible. Also praying that the impact to the environment and the economies of the areas/cities affected will be as minimal as it can be. And don't forget the families of those who lost their lives. It has been and continues to be a tragedy. Just heartbreaking all around.

I'm praying that the clean-up effort will be intense and as quick as possible. Also praying that the impact to the environment and the economies of the areas/cities affected will be as minimal as it can be. And don't forget the families of those who lost their lives. It has been and continues to be a tragedy. Just heartbreaking all around.

Yes, we should not forget those that lost their lives. We have family and friends who work on rigs out in the gulf. My dh is a teacher and we are thinking we might spend some time this summer volunteering with the clean-up. If you have never had the opportunity to explore the wetlands around the coast you would not believe the beauty and biodiversity.

We were planning on going to Pcola Beach for my birthday. It makes me very sad to see all this happening. The economy is so fragile in the area anyway. And hurricane season is about to start. This will greatly impact the area.

P'cola Beach is a beautiful place to visit. I hope that you are still able to make it. Of course all the officials are telling people there is no reason to cancel any vacation plans at this point. And hurricane season--wow--that is a lot to think about.

I am so sad tonight about the environmental disaster in our area. This area is amazingly beautiful and the thought of the delicate wetlands being destroyed just makes me sick. I just don't know what to think about this all. There may already be a thread going, but I didn't see it, so I am sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere.

Thanks for listening.

Makes me ill too.

I'm sick about the mess, too. I still have vivid memories of the Exxon Valdez spill and the endless stream of photos.... all those poor animals that suffered.... :crying: It's almost too much to bear to think of it happening again.

And in the 'small stuff of life', we are leaving Thursday for our first beach vacation in 10 years---- heading to Ft. Walton Beach and staying in a gulf-front condo. Sigh.

And another 'small stuff' complaint.... my dd is supposed to be at Dauphin Island for a week-long camp in July. Again, I say "sigh".

We're hoping, for selfish reasons, that our trips aren't affected, but in the whole scheme of things, it's nothing. I just want to cry for the poor animals, and the damage to our planet over this.

I'm sick about the mess, too. I still have vivid memories of the Exxon Valdez spill and the endless stream of photos.... all those poor animals that suffered.... :crying: It's almost too much to bear to think of it happening again.

And in the 'small stuff of life', we are leaving Thursday for our first beach vacation in 10 years---- heading to Ft. Walton Beach and staying in a gulf-front condo. Sigh.

And another 'small stuff' complaint.... my dd is supposed to be at Dauphin Island for a week-long camp in July. Again, I say "sigh".

We're hoping, for selfish reasons, that our trips aren't affected, but in the whole scheme of things, it's nothing. I just want to cry for the poor animals, and the damage to our planet over this.

I was wondering about your daughter's trip. I haven't really heard much about Dauphin Island, yet. I guess we just wait and see.

Is anyone close enough to know if Homeland security is down there? I saw Napolitano on the news at they gym, but didn't have my earbuds to hear what she was saying.

Just seems like an odd combination.....

I haven't heard much news because I did not want the kiddos to overhear and get upset. But, I did hear a brief report today that somehow this was under the umbrella of homeland security (and a few other agencies). I think part of the problem is trying to figure out which agency is going to respond to which aspect of the problem.

I have a number of friends and family members who make their living in the fishing industry working off the coast or in the marshes. Around 80% of their income is earned this time of year. Since this is a very profitable time for them, this disaster will mean financial ruin for most. These are not rich people, as most in the seafood industry are not. My heart is breaking for them. I'm inland by miles, but we will likely feel the ramifications throughout the state, and throughout the country as well.

My biggest fear is that, with hurricane season on the near horizon, we will have a large storm that drives this contaminated gulf water inland to ruin other industries such as farming and tourism. We could use some prayers for a mild hurricane season for the gulf coast.

It makes me sad as well. I grew up on the gulf coast and spent the first 38 years of my life there. My grandfather was a commercial fisherman and my dad loved shrimping. I have so many great memories of being out on the water with them.

I am worried about the people who make their living fishing, shrimping, etc. on the water. Also the people in Apalachicola who oyster for a living (some of my relatives).

I live on the Mississippi gulf coast and I have also heard of people being able to smell the oil at their homes already. Fortunately we live about 10 miles inland so I cannot smell it yet. I hope the smell doesn't reach our home since I am asthmatic and I do not know what the impact on that will be.

I am very concerned about the impact on the fishing industry in our area. It has already taken several relatively recent hits due to Hurricane Katrina and low priced imports. I hope that the industry survives.

I hope safety measures are in place to prevent this from happening again. The spill is growing each day. I just assummed these offshore oil rigs were built to withstand almost anything. I assummed they were designed and built to where they could be shut down and repaired quickly with measures in place to prevent this sort of thing. I understand this is not typical, but it is a wakeup call. I believe the media is trying to minimize how bad the damage actually is. My prayers are with this area that this can be overcome quickly.

I was wondering about your daughter's trip. I haven't really heard much about Dauphin Island, yet. I guess we just wait and see.

For the moment, we haven't done anything, but we did make ourselves better aware of the cancellation policy. I would hate to do that, but if it's a health issue (wading in the stagnant water, breathing in the rank air, etc), then we'll have to do it.

I hope safety measures are in place to prevent this from happening again. The spill is growing each day. I just assummed these offshore oil rigs were built to withstand almost anything. I assummed they were designed and built to where they could be shut down and repaired quickly with measures in place to prevent this sort of thing. I understand this is not typical, but it is a wakeup call. I believe the media is trying to minimize how bad the damage actually is. My prayers are with this area that this can be overcome quickly.

I always thought this, too. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case. And I just read that some other rigs were ordered to shut down & at least one was evacuated, but no explanation was given. I wonder if all the recent earthquakes in any way could have caused this?

I can't dwell on this topic for very long, as it makes me want to cry. The lives lost (human) and soon to be lost (animal) is just tragic, and then to think of the ecosystem and the ramifications to our food sources, and those who rely on those food sources for a living.... it's just too much.

The entire thing is heartbreaking, and I'm so saddened for everyone affected, for our planet, and for the economic ramifications as a result of this. I struggle to watch the news because I waiver between sadness and extreme anger.

After living in Baton Rouge for 16 years and roaming the Gulf Coast all that time, I am just sick about it, too. Once that oil gets into the bayous and other wetland areas it may never be able to be cleaned up. It's just not going to be possible.....

Go Bobby! Boycott BP!

Ugh... I can't imagine what you're seeing. :grouphug:

I'm on the Central East coast and not 15 min ago on the news they had an oceanographer on telling people to expect to see the effects down in Miami by MOnday and in Brevard County by Tuesday????

I have been out today and just returned. I am going to get the kids to bed so that I can watch a few minutes of news. I am anxious to get some updated information. What I really want to know is how to volunteer to help. My dh is a teacher so we could feasibly take some time this summer to help with the wildlife.

I have a number of friends and family members who make their living in the fishing industry working off the coast or in the marshes. Around 80% of their income is earned this time of year. Since this is a very profitable time for them, this disaster will mean financial ruin for most. These are not rich people, as most in the seafood industry are not. My heart is breaking for them. I'm inland by miles, but we will likely feel the ramifications throughout the state, and throughout the country as well.

My biggest fear is that, with hurricane season on the near horizon, we will have a large storm that drives this contaminated gulf water inland to ruin other industries such as farming and tourism. We could use some prayers for a mild hurricane season for the gulf coast.

Stacie, these are my fears exactly.

After living in Baton Rouge for 16 years and roaming the Gulf Coast all that time, I am just sick about it, too. Once that oil gets into the bayous and other wetland areas it may never be able to be cleaned up. It's just not going to be possible.....

Go Bobby! Boycott BP!

I really don't understand how boycotting BP can help the situation. In fact, I think it could make it worse. I believe that BP will help clean this up. If absolutely everyone boycotted them, they would close their doors. Think of all the innocent people who would lose their jobs in addition to the jobs already being lost by this.

I really don't understand how boycotting BP can help the situation. In fact, I think it could make it worse. I believe that BP will help clean this up. If absolutely everyone boycotted them, they would close their doors.

I think the boycott is more of a call to action than a desire to run them out of business. They have been less than forthcoming about the size of the spill, have no conceivable plan for containment, and no plan of action to stop it. By temporarily boycotting, it seems they will take heed and take action. If they begin to act responsibly, I see no reason for the boycott to continue on a grand scale.

Think of all the innocent people who would lose their jobs in addition to the jobs already being lost by this.

Think of the 11 innocent men who have already perished, as well as the innocent wildlife at risk and the innocent people who use these waters for their livelihoods. So many have been touched by this disaster and corporate responsibility and action should be the highest priority.

• 5 weeks later...

I am not near the gulf, so I have no first hand experience in what is actually happening. Rumors are swirling about how BP is hiding the truth from the public about how bad the oil spill actually is. I can not confirm or deny any of these rumors, they are just that rumors. I was told dead animals are not properly counted, volunteers are turned away, Rumors say more oil is spilling than anyone realizes, and BP is using solvents to thin the oil. It is claimed this further pollutes the environmental waterways and will cause more acid rain. It is said harmless microbes are available that will clean up the oil spill, and in turn not cause further pollution in the water.

I may have been born at night but it was not last night. I know this spill may not be in my back yard, but somehow it will have an huge impact on many lives. It would appear not enough has been done to fix this problem, many are suffering. I keep thinking of those who are out of work because of this and how they are being turned away from working to clean up this mess. Where will the next big oil spill be? It may not happen today, but another one would not shock me. I keep thinking of all the coastline in the gulf, and the oil seeping into the Atlantic. All these rumors are swirling in my head. If you live close to the spill, can you update us on how this is effecting you?

I am not near the gulf, so I have no first hand experience in what is actually happening. Rumors are swirling about how BP is hiding the truth from the public about how bad the oil spill actually is. I can not confirm or deny any of these rumors, they are just that rumors. I was told dead animals are not properly counted, volunteers are turned away, Rumors say more oil is spilling than anyone realizes, and BP is using solvents to thin the oil. It is claimed this further pollutes the environmental waterways and will cause more acid rain. It is said harmless microbes are available that will clean up the oil spill, and in turn not cause further pollution in the water.

I may have been born at night but it was not last night. I know this spill may not be in my back yard, but somehow it will have an huge impact on many lives. It would appear not enough has been done to fix this problem, many are suffering. I keep thinking of those who are out of work because of this and how they are being turned away from working to clean up this mess. Where will the next big oil spill be? It may not happen today, but another one would not shock me. I keep thinking of all the coastline in the gulf, and the oil seeping into the Atlantic. All these rumors are swirling in my head. If you live close to the spill, can you update us on how this is effecting you?

Thanks for asking. I think many of us on or near the coast are experiencing Post Traumatic Stress. I know it sounds dramatic--but we are literally watching our lives and culture wash away. One of the reasons that I homeschool is that I want my kids to experience this beautiful area first hand instead of in a classroom. The nature around here has always been our balm. In the past when we were having a hard day we would head to the bay for science class. We have been doing Animals around the World this year and our end of the year family trip was going to be a swamp tour. We have looked forward to it for months. We had planned on spending the summer making sand castles on the beach. The dolphins!!! The birds!!! The turtles!!! The wetlands!!! The islands!!! Unbelievable. There is a great sadness, knowing that there is really nothing we can do to make our situation better. Sorry for the downer, but I expect my grandchildren to still be dealing with this.

Edited by Laurel T.

:(

We went to Dauphin Island for a field trip when I was in middle school. I picture it vividly while reading the news stories, as well as all our old family vacations. My kids were hoping I'd be well enough to travel to the beach sometime this year or next (been ill and don't travel well) ... looks like I'll be getting better but it will be too late.

I just hate how this will have ripple (tsunami ripple!) effects for decades to come.

Thanks for the hugs. I think it is time for a good cry. The kiddos are at the bay today for a day camp. It is likely to be the last one for a long time.

I'm so sorry. It is hard enough to see these images from afar, but to watch ones way of life disappear must be heart-breaking. :grouphug:

Bill

I live on the Gulf in AL too. The smell of oil is here. It smells like a gas station.

If you live near our area, please know that the oil can cause permanent CNS and lung damage, especially in children and the elderly. This can happen even if you just live in the area and aren't in direct contact with the oil. The rule is if you can smell it, don't go out outside unless necessary.

I was surprised to see how many people were still at the beach today, even parasailing! I had to make my dd stay home from the beach, all her friends were going. :crying:

Thanks so much for posting Michelle. Do you feel a little anxious, too? Or is it just me? I am trying to stay away from the news. I get furious when representatives of bp say they will "make the community whole" and cover all losses. Money will not fix this situation. No one can cover the losses.

I lived the first half of my childhood in DFW, the 2nd half on the gulf. When my parents divorced & we came back "home," DFW was nothing like I remembered. Whenever I have returned to Galveston, though, the smell of the beach, the feel of the heat, the culture--they're all the same. Somehow *that* is my home & who I am. That is where my dad's ashes are spread.

I have not watched the news. I treat the gulf like I treated my grandmother's memory when she died: I could go visit if I just had the time. I'll get that way soon. :crying:

There is a big difference in this spill and Valdez. This is light crude and that was heavy crude. Light is much better. Most is apparently not getting to the surface though that may actually be a worse ecological disaster. Should they have been drilling at 5000 ft? Probably not since there isn't adequate technology developed to address the issues. Unfortunately, areas much more easily accesible to clean up like ANWR are restricted from drilling. I am very sad about the areas being so hard hit and don't see why booms, sand barriers and other devices and ideas aren't being used to protect the beaches and wetlands. Yes, this is an ecological disaster but maybe we could protect people and livlihoods better.

Oh and I am not boycotting BP. I know they didn't want this to happen-it is a PR disaster for them. They have no motivation to have that oil keep spilling out and every motivation to stop it or capture it.

I live in coastal Louisiana. Our area isn't DIRECTLY in the spill path just yet, but many in my area are dealing with the ramifications of it. Fishing cut off...tourism, oil field...that's a HUGE one with the moratorium. My husband is in danger of loosing his job. We don't have answer yet about it though.

It is SO hard watching the places you grew up visiting and are bring your children to the same places is heartbreaking. However, the oilfield is our livelihood. I'm so torn about it all. I think everybody...from the president (it doesn't matter WHO is president...I don't think anybody would have been equiped to handle this.) on down to each and every oil field company...is at fault. Every oil company b/c this accident was BP but it could have easily been any other company.

Anyway...thought you might like to hear from somebody that is directly in the area of what's happening (BP main US office is about 20 minutes from my house).

I'm in Paris France right now on vacation so it's great to get away from all of it...but I'm also so far away and the only news I'm getting is rumors and that's not fun.

Hi Laurel, I'd have to say that I'm not personally anxious yet, but I don't tend to be an anxious person, more a bury your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening type of person. I think it will hit me soon though.

I'm scared for what this will do to our economy. Our area has been hit so hard by hurricanes, the global economy and now this. We are also local business owners, so are integrally tied to our community and it's economy. Most people in my town are in the same boat, local business owners, and I just hope we all make it.

I live in coastal Louisiana. Our area isn't DIRECTLY in the spill path just yet, but many in my area are dealing with the ramifications of it. Fishing cut off...tourism, oil field...that's a HUGE one with the moratorium. My husband is in danger of loosing his job. We don't have answer yet about it though.

It is SO hard watching the places you grew up visiting and are bring your children to the same places is heartbreaking. However, the oilfield is our livelihood. I'm so torn about it all. I think everybody...from the president (it doesn't matter WHO is president...I don't think anybody would have been equiped to handle this.) on down to each and every oil field company...is at fault. Every oil company b/c this accident was BP but it could have easily been any other company.

Anyway...thought you might like to hear from somebody that is directly in the area of what's happening (BP main US office is about 20 minutes from my house).

I'm in Paris France right now on vacation so it's great to get away from all of it...but I'm also so far away and the only news I'm getting is rumors and that's not fun.

So sorry to hear that your husband's job may be in danger. My husband has a side job to supplement our income that will be in danger, but hopefull his main job will be around for awhile. But, most of the economy of our county is held up by tourism dollars so there are no guarentees for anyone in public sector employment.

Hi Laurel, I'd have to say that I'm not personally anxious yet, but I don't tend to be an anxious person, more a bury your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening type of person. I think it will hit me soon though.

I'm scared for what this will do to our economy. Our area has been hit so hard by hurricanes, the global economy and now this. We are also local business owners, so are integrally tied to our community and it's economy. Most people in my town are in the same boat, local business owners, and I just hope we all make it.

I think I will try your approach again. That is usually how I handle things but this has been different for me. I am not so anxious for myself, just for the many others who will be affected and for my children who may not have the joy of growing up on the beach. Maybe things will turn out a lot better than it seems now.

Oh and I am not boycotting BP. I know they didn't want this to happen-it is a PR disaster for them. They have no motivation to have that oil keep spilling out and every motivation to stop it or capture it.

BP has the worst safety record in the oil industry. By far. They were cited for 439 willful safety violations last year. The second place oil company had around seven.

BP was criminally negligent in not doing necessary maintenance in the Texas refinery that exploded killing 15 workers and injuring 170.

They were also criminally negligent in not doing necessary maintenance on the pipeline in Alaska which has lead to burst pipes and oil spills, an is a problem that is still not resolved.

BP not an environmentally responsible company.

Bill

Yes, this is so ugly and today I heard on news that there might be another of these deep oil rigs that may not fully pass the test and another disaster such as this could happen again. Shouldn't all such activity be made to stop at least?