Menu

I'm just gonna say it. We switched to SL and I had time to bake bread!

momee

No planning, no library book hunting.

No schedule making with the children.

We sat on the couch and read, read, read.

Praying it continues to be a great fit.

I knew I was spending alot of time planning, but didn't realize how great it is to go to the shelf, pull off the book we need to read and put it back when we're done reading. NICE :);)

I knew I was spending alot of time planning, but didn't realize how great it is to go to the shelf, pull off the book we need to read and put it back when we're done reading. NICE :);)

Ahhh... Reading your post has me recalling our days with Sonlight when our now 20yo was only 8. Fond memories. :)

I'm considering it again for our 10 and 12yos.

So seriously, if I use SL straight my kitchen gets clean, the laundry done, and I can go to bed on time with my dh? LOL, that's SOME curriculum! I should have switched long ago.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek there, but truly the time cost of trying to do too many things custom is really high... Glad it's working out for you and hope it continues to! :)

We used another curricula where I had to decide on books, purchase said books or find at the library, sit with the kids, make a schedule, read books, do worksheets, print pages the kids needed, determine writing level, schedule writing assignments, and have a discussion over what was learned.

Now we do the timeline and mapwork, go over vocab, read books, answer some ?s if we need to/want to, discuss what we've just read. I'm using a seperate writing curricula so that work is still there but it's a bit easier to follow the directions for in how it sets the kids up with specific assignments instead of giving me so much freedom in how our week was done. If that makes any sense, yay. If not, ignore it :)

It's a shift in how we do school and I hope it will continue to add peace to our home as it has.

Edited by momee

"So seriously, if I use SL straight my kitchen gets clean, the laundry done, and I can go to bed on time with my dh? LOL, that's SOME curriculum! I should have switched long ago."

I realize you're trying to be funny, but I wasn't implying anything similar to what you stated above.

Mainly the blessing of this switch for me, after years! of using something that was teacher intensive has been in having our work scheduled by someone besides the kids and I and facing Monday morning knowing everything is there for us. Instead of waiting for me to have ordered a book or inter loaning it from a library.

I posted because sometimes on these boards, the focus is so much on rigor and acheivement and rarely is the important stuff like maintaining peace and caring for our homes included in the equation of choosing something to use. If we're so focused on the organization of school with a certain curricula that it ends up consuming time needed to care for a family, how great is it really???

I get it! We love our Winter Promise although it's a little more work than Sonlight. But I really don't mind taking time for the activities because my boys like them so much.

It's a wonderful thing to have things fall into our lives so well. I LOVE IT when that happens because how many times does that actually happen?? Not nearly enough!

Continued blessings!!

Kim

Thanks for posting Angela. It is so nice to hear from others who've used SL. They've been around for a while. I figure there must be something to it. SL, imho, doesn't get the best rep around here sometimes.

It's kinda CM in style which I'm surprised by. The narration after the readings were a surprise and something I'm not used to.

Up to now, our assesment of comprehension have been worksheet, question type format. The kids are really feeling lighter knowing there's no worksheet at the end of the day. It's a jump for me though, because I wonder is retelling what they're reading about really enough.

Off to read more about it on the CM sites I've been to. It's actually a method of WWE and SWB too to have kids retell stuff, even in WEM they're discussing what's interesting to them instead of what a worksheet deems important.

Again, big shift in style for us.

So glad you enjoyed your time with SL. We hope to also.

We are long time SL-ers here. My dd has used it almost exclusively, and she asked to be put back into it after the 1 yr. switch. My ds has used it off and on and next yr. he is going back to SL to stay. My dh finally helped me make the decision. It is refreshing to have the work done for you. I realize it's not for everyone, but we love it and my dd has an amazing knowledge base for her age (13.) I am so pleased. I just finished placing a LARGE order for my 3 for next yr. Not sure how 3 cores are going to work... but I'm sure it will be fine. I'm glad you love it as much as we do!

Hi Emma.

We're just recovering from the huge order of three cores as well. ACK. However, it is a great thing to know I don't have school planning to do today, I can just read about actually TEACHING them :)

Thanks for replying.

"So seriously, if I use SL straight my kitchen gets clean, the laundry done, and I can go to bed on time with my dh? LOL, that's SOME curriculum! I should have switched long ago."

I realize you're trying to be funny, but I wasn't implying anything similar to what you stated above.

Mainly the blessing of this switch for me, after years! of using something that was teacher intensive has been in having our work scheduled by someone besides the kids and I and facing Monday morning knowing everything is there for us. Instead of waiting for me to have ordered a book or inter loaning it from a library.

I posted because sometimes on these boards, the focus is so much on rigor and acheivement and rarely is the important stuff like maintaining peace and caring for our homes included in the equation of choosing something to use. If we're so focused on the organization of school with a certain curricula that it ends up consuming time needed to care for a family, how great is it really???

This is one of the reasons I am pulled to Oak Meadow for next year. It is all there. I don't have to sit down for hours to figure it out! While it will take some lesson planning on my part, it's got to be less than all the work I do now piecing everything together.

It's kinda CM in style which I'm surprised by. The narration after the readings were a surprise and something I'm not used to.

Up to now, our assesment of comprehension have been worksheet, question type format. The kids are really feeling lighter knowing there's no worksheet at the end of the day. It's a jump for me though, because I wonder is retelling what they're reading about really enough.

I think narration is a GREAT assessment tool. I like it much better than worksheets and written tests. If children can discuss what they're learning, then they have learned it. They live it. It becomes part of their life when they discuss it with each other and with the parents. I often have my boys tell their Daddy what we studied that day or tell him about a story we read, in addition to narration as we read. They're young, but they're getting very good at it. They know they're going to have to do that, and it becomes a fun thing for them to tell about things. Worksheets and fill in the blank tests are very predictable and many children learn how to fill them out perfectly. But, the real test is whether or not they can take what they read or what has been read to them, and make it part of their life at least long enough for it to stick in their memory, and be able to apply it to real life situations. Children eventually need to learn to take written tests because they are often required in life. But, I don't think that should be the only means of assessment.

Edited by AK_Homesteaders

:grouphug: to you wise woman for boldy stating this last paragraph on this board. Or maybe this just really resonates with me after the kind of school year I have had. If it gives you any additional peace of mind, there is no difference in test scores for my kids between using Sonlight and not using Sonlight and my house was a lot tidier.:tongue_smilie:

My only problem with Sonlight, because I actually LOVE Sonlight books is that I so want to be able to combine all of my children together. With a 3.5 year age gap between the youngest and the oldest that doesn't seem possible without someone not getting what they really need. It's a bummer.

Thanks for saying this. I needed it. :)

Just wanted to say that this is refreshing to hear. Thank you. :)

That is so great! SL is a wonderful curriculum. I have used several cores and I tweaked them to death. Looking back, I realize how ridiculous it was to do that. I should have just used it as written, relaxed, and let it be.

I have to ask though... what core(s) are you using and are you trying the science also? We did two years of the Science. I really liked it. The DVDs and science kits are fabulous.

Awesome! We've enjoyed these aspects of SL as well. :)

We used another curricula where I had to decide on books, purchase said books or find at the library, sit with the kids, make a schedule, read books, do worksheets, print pages the kids needed, determine writing level, schedule writing assignments, and have a discussion over what was learned.

Now we do the timeline and mapwork, go over vocab, read books, answer some ?s if we need to/want to, discuss what we've just read. I'm using a seperate writing curricula so that work is still there but it's a bit easier to follow the directions for in how it sets the kids up with specific assignments instead of giving me so much freedom in how our week was done. If that makes any sense, yay. If not, ignore it :)

It's a shift in how we do school and I hope it will continue to add peace to our home as it has.

Which cores are you using and which writing program?

That happened when I used SL as well - and that was using 2 Cores. I only wish they had an optional "classical track" for high school! Now that my oldest is nearing the end of a fairly successful 9th-grade-Ancients year, I *finally* looked at the SL Catalog and wasn't tempted at all. Guess WTM has ruined me! LOL

Best wishes! Enjoy it!!!

Glad you're enjoying Sonlight.:) I'm heading into my 11th year of homeschooling and 10 of those years, SL has been the foundation of our studies. The one year I set it aside, I missed it terribly. SL is part of the family.:)

That is so great! SL is a wonderful curriculum. I have used several cores and I tweaked them to death. Looking back, I realize how ridiculous it was to do that. I should have just used it as written, relaxed, and let it be.

This is my goal for next year! I am TRYING to keep my tweaking to an absolute minimum and just let go and enjoy the ride. I love SL... but sometimes I think I'm ruining it. ;)

We have since switched to an academic co-op for 7th and up, but Sonlight helped us get far more meaningful school done that I thought possible under the circumstances. For our reading-oriented family, it was a great fit.

No, the schedule and books weren't 100% match, but it was close enough for me.

Thanks for posting Angela. It is so nice to hear from others who've used SL. They've been around for a while. I figure there must be something to it. SL, imho, doesn't get the best rep around here sometimes.

Off to read more about it on the CM sites I've been to. It's actually a method of WWE and SWB too to have kids retell stuff, even in WEM they're discussing what's interesting to them instead of what a worksheet deems important.

Again, big shift in style for us.

So glad you enjoyed your time with SL. We hope to also.

It really is freeing in a way. It sounds contradictory in the sense that one might feel they lose all of their freedom when someone else has scheduled it all out, but yet it is freeing enough that you found joy in baking bread. :) Love that!

For the past few years, I have been tweaking and/or customizing a program for Bible, history, reading, and read-alouds, but I'm ready to use someone else's expertise again. Every time I'm making out the week's schedule, these subjects are what takes the most time. I mean, it's ridiculous how much time I spend trying to make those subjects line up. Sometimes I spend a couple of hours on them alone. Blech!

We've used Sonlight, HOD, and MFW in the past, and each time it was a real blessing. There's no perfect program per se, but I admire and appreciate all the authors and am very thankful that they have poured their hearts into these guides and we can reap the benefits.

And yes, narration is a wonderful tool. We gave up worksheets a long time ago, and they haven't been missed by anyone. ;)

Lastly, I have come to realize that there is definitely a balance to be had in terms of rigor and, for lack of a better word, fun. The fact is, my guys retain more when they enjoy what we're doing. Of course, I don't think they'll ever look forward to grammar study for instance, but I love when they are anxious to read the next chapter of a book.

May you and your dc continue to find joy in your homeschool.

Edited by angela&4boys

Another happy Sonlighter here! I do use other materials for LA and Math (though will be purchasing Saxon through SL this coming year). We've used SL for 6 years and love the schedule/books/commentary etc. I thought about switching this past year and going with a 4year rotation (I'm a WTM'er at heart), but honestly, with a new baby in the house, who's now a toddler, I'm so happy I stuck with SL...I was starting to overplan EVERYTHING!!! I still use SWB's ideas on Dictation/Narration and Writing, but that's so easy to implement with SL. Enjoy your journey...very happy for you!!!

We've used Sonlight, HOD, and MFW in the past, and each time it was a real blessing. There's no perfect program per se, but I admire and appreciate all the authors and am very thankful that they have poured their hearts into these guides and we can reap the benefits.

You know, I am just starting out, but I really hear this a lot. I do not want to have regrets and so I've done a lot of researching on what's out there and examining my goals and personality before making a curr. choice. At times it has driven me CRAZY and my child is going into second grade in the fall and has no formal education. But I am a researcher at heart and very seldom have regrets when I do go for something. :) My personality is to find something to stick with over the long haul. I'm fairly certain I found the closest to what I'm looking for (MFW). I'm not afraid to tweak as needed at all, but I like a frame work. I like that it's only four days a week and that it's not so vigorous (yet it is thorough) that we have time each day to play and pursue our own interests. I like that my children (2nd grade and up) will be combined for history, science, music and art appreciation, and bible reading and memory verses. I like that we will actually DO the those things, most likely because it's all put together for me!! Sound so restful and YES it will give me the ability to just enjoy my children and make memories together. Also, we want so much for for our children then just academics. We want them to be able to fly a plane by the time they leave our home (daddy was a pilot) and have a lot life skills like learning basic car care, and many more (they are written down). Anywhoo, wow, I guess I'm identifying a bit with this post. Different curriculum and I'm a newbie, but I want this, too. ;)

Edited because I forgot to add that I have interest that I want to pursue. I don't want to eat, sleep, and breathe homeschooling. If someone has what I basically want all laid out for me than YIPEE!! Then I can pursue drawing and my many other passions and goals. I am a learner and I think one of the very best ways to impart that to my children is by them seeing me excited about learning and researching about and pursing my interests. Just my 2cents.

Edited by mommyjen

We are going to give Sonlight a shot too this year! I'm excited and I've found lots of the items I needed used! With a 6 year split between the two I don't have time to plan plan plan so I'm going to use P 4/5 for Blake and Core 7 pt 2 World HIstory for Haylee. Sonlight uses the SOTW books, which I already own and love and I've got the activity guides so if I think I need to add more, there's my resource!

But that being said, I'm also using WP Animals and Their Worlds over the summer too! My library had all the books I needed except for the One Small Square books and the IG!

Edited by Prairie

Momee,

You referred to having time to bake bread. I'm curious if you are using the SL language arts as well as their core history. could you describe what all you are using for your children. If you are using the language arts, how are you liking that? Do they teach a child how to write or just tell them what to write about?

thanks so much!

tracy

You know, I am just starting out, but I really hear this a lot. I do not want to have regrets and so I've done a lot of researching on what's out there and examining my goals and personality before making a curr. choice. At times it has driven me CRAZY and my child is going into second grade in the fall and has no formal education. But I am a researcher at heart and very seldom have regrets when I do go for something. :) My personality is to find something to stick with over the long haul. I'm fairly certain I found the closest to what I'm looking for (MFW). I'm not afraid to tweak as needed at all, but I like a frame work. I like that it's only four days a week and that it's not so vigorous (yet it is thorough) that we have time each day to play and pursue our own interests. I like that my children (2nd grade and up) will be combined for history, science, music and art appreciation, and bible reading and memory verses. I like that we will actually DO the those things, most likely because it's all put together for me!! Sound so restful and YES it will give me the ability to just enjoy my children and make memories together. Also, we want so much for for our children then just academics. We want them to be able to fly a plane by the time they leave our home (daddy was a pilot) and have a lot life skills like learning basic car care, and many more (they are written down). Anywhoo, wow, I guess I'm identifying a bit with this post. Different curriculum and I'm a newbie, but I want this, too. ;)

Edited because I forgot to add that I have interest that I want to pursue. I don't want to eat, sleep, and breathe homeschooling. If someone has what I basically want all laid out for me than YIPEE!! Then I can pursue drawing and my many other passions and goals. I am a learner and I think one of the very best ways to impart that to my children is by them seeing me excited about learning and researching about and pursing my interests. Just my 2cents.

Well, for just starting out, you have your finger on the pulse! I think you have a very balanced view and you and your dc will thrive.

I'm a researcher at heart too. Although it can get me in trouble. I have become over analytical at times, hence my desire to tweak. I think your wise to try to find a program that works and stick to it.

However, I've found that what works for one family may not work for another. And the dynamics can change too with babies, illness, moving, etc.... We presently have an active and vocal 3yo who has denounced naps, so reading aloud can be a challenge at times.

All-in-all, homeschooling is such a wonderful journey. I can't believe what I have learned along the way. I'll often tell my dc how much I enjoy learning with them. That's especially true in our Bible and character studies. The growth we've all experienced has been immense and I'm so happy we're able to do it together.

Let us know what you choose mommyjen, will you?

Warmly, :)

Woo-Hoo!!!! Enjoy your curriculum and your bread! :001_smile:

Just wanted to say that I'm psyched for you. Finding that plateau of peace is just so, so awesome! :001_smile: I'm hopeful that the road will continue to be WIDE open before you. Woo-Hoo! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I'm really trying not to be discouraged by this! I was all psyched to go with SL 5 this fall. Or maybe 3/4. Or maybe 6. ;) We called an informal meeting to discuss our options, and I threw a few alternative programs to make the discussion interesting. :D The phone rang...my 16dd took over the discussion, and by the time I got back to the table, the girls were raving about another curriculum, and had ditched SL altogether. My 12dd even said that she thought *all reading* was going to be a little boring. Now what. :confused: I want books. I want no planning. I want bread making time. I've still got time to change minds...

I'm really trying not to be discouraged by this! I was all psyched to go with SL 5 this fall. Or maybe 3/4. Or maybe 6. ;) We called an informal meeting to discuss our options, and I threw a few alternative programs to make the discussion interesting. :D The phone rang...my 16dd took over the discussion, and by the time I got back to the table, the girls were raving about another curriculum, and had ditched SL altogether. My 12dd even said that she thought *all reading* was going to be a little boring. Now what. :confused: I want books. I want no planning. I want bread making time. I've still got time to change minds...

Sonlight is not ALL reading, sure there is alot, but you can pick and choose, We don't do EVERYTHING. There is mapping, vocab, writing, discussions. I just find SL teaches my girls better than say...abeka.

Completely off topic -- but a word of praise for SL....

After 2 years, I managed to lose our activation codes for Rosetta Stone. I called SL late Friday afternoon and within 5 minutes the sweet gal on the phone emailed me my invoice (from 2 years ago) -- and I emailed it to RS. Bam. Got my activation codes. Great customer service at both companies.

SL 5 is definitely not *all reading*. The Eastern Hemisphere Explorer is very active work, with mapping, research, cooking, art activities and many out-of-the-box options every week. Tons of movies go along with Core 5, too. I think of all the cores, it's the most "fun" (but lots of work, too). Core 6 is much more about the reading and we had to add other stuff to it to make it more fun.

LOL! I hope you take me in the right way, I think you will because we have chatted before, but I find this soooo funny.

I am just the opposite. I get very stressed out doing SL because I can't get a day of reading done in the time we have allotted. Thus I took me 1.5 years minimum to get a year of SL done. I used to get sooo stressed over getting my oldest through the cores (because she loves history and learning), and balancing that with my sensitive history hating three. Ok maybe hating is too strong, but they are very visual and hands on so they didn't like the emotional SL books at all. I had to completely re-do the schedule adding in visual books and hands on, so I had more planning with SL.

But with TOG I don't do the library, I don't use most of the printouts for TOG (no SAP pages), I make one schedule for myself which the kids are welcome to use (and do), but they decide when to do it on their own (or don't play their DS-great motivation for my kids) and I don't have the writing piece.

We just have different needs. For you doing SL is like what doing TOG is for me. Glad you found what works!! :party:

Heather

Thanks so much for all the positive comments.

To you new WTM moms, ask alot! of questions. The ladies here are a wealth of info, but take their answers with a grain of salt.

As you can see from Siloam's and my own different reactions to different curricula, what's working well for you and what is for me may be different.

A few of you asked what I'm using. Well, over the years it's been a mishmosh of stuff, mostly using WTM as my guide (LOVE her helps there!). We are women after all and are allowed to change our minds. I stand on that right.

We are big time box checkers and the kids do practically everything assigned. This could have a ton to do with the burnout we're in recovery from - but I'm not going there :tongue_smilie: I'm really not allowed to talk about what I used to use. I think SL is working because each child has a core perfect! for them. I'm still new but I don't know that I like that whole combining thing...that's another thread.

We're doing

4th grader in fall -

SL Core 3 history, geog, literature, bible, vocab

will do Classical Writing in fall, if that bombs, go to Writing Tales then back CW later - did TOG WA up till now

Spelling - Spelling Wisdom, though I always forget about it, it's still working because they only need to do a bit of it to benefit.

grammar - Rod and Staff 3 which she may end up repeating, she's young for it and isn't getting most of it, but I found this with everyone! of my students, it gets better

science - God's Design - excellent! fit

Positive Action grade 4 when we want super study times, SL bible readings if not - we both need to go back and forth

piano with a wonderful teacher licensed by Musikgarten - she's already reading/composing music!

learning to be a young lady - very important (we do many service projects together as moms/daughters)

Saxon 5/4 - all lessons, all problems, all facts drill and mental math stuff :)

7th grader in fall-

SL Core 7 history, lit, bible, geog, writing, vocab

CW Older Beginners - she doesn't love it, I do

Rod and STaff 5 - again, she doesn't love it, I do

will do Apologia Gen Sci in fall - just finished NOEO Biology II

Wise Up by Positive Action when we can get to it, SL bible is more than I'd though it would be, so PA is on hold for now

Saxon 7/6 - all lessons, all problems, all facts drill and mental math stuff :)

practically learning to care for this home, and her brothers and sisters and to be a Godly young lady

piano

venturing into youth group (scary for mom)

11th grader in fall -

SL Core 300 -hist, lit, bible, geog, writing, vocab

College prep writing course online

Apologia Chemistry

OSU German online

Jacobs Geometry with tutor

Civil Air Patrol

possibly joining vol fire dept in fall (scary for mom!)

learning to be a Godly man, maturing more and more every day

soon to be 2 YEAR OLD (scary music in the background)

blessing us all with smiles and hugs and love and answered prayers every day! mostly learning right now not to draw on the walls and to hold mommy's hand :)

Don't know how it could, but HTH.

This is my goal for next year! I am TRYING to keep my tweaking to an absolute minimum and just let go and enjoy the ride. I love SL... but sometimes I think I'm ruining it. ;)

The one year I used SL I did not tweak it really, but I did dump some of the things they had scheduled in. We did Core 5 and Core 400. Core 400 my ds did it as it was written. He had a pretty intense year.

In hindsight, those two cores probably weren't the best for us to start with! Because of how overwhelmed I felt I ended up going with Winter Promise this year and I have tweaked the heck out of both programs!!! Depending on the day I feel like I want to buy WP again and tweak it again, write my own (pipe dream) or just go with something else altogether. I will probably give SL a chance again in the future, but I am not sure when. Something I wish SL would do is have "younger learner" and "older learner" guides to go with all the cores so that children can combine cores more easily. I believe WP does this.

Something I wish SL would do is have "younger learner" and "older learner" guides to go with all the cores so that children can combine cores more easily. I believe WP does this.

Seriously. If they did I would be with Sonlight, but I don't think that they will ever do that. It's not part of who they are.

We are Sonlight uses again. By again I mean I did do it all for 2 years then went back to Sonlight. So glad we did. We will be doing cores 1, 6 and alt7 this year. I do not use Sonlights LA. I have tried many times. I use GWG,WWE,FLL, writing strands, Imatations in Writing, AAS. I have actually WTM Tweeked Sonlight. We outline some of the books, we keep a note book, sumerize etc. The not doing the 4 year cycle doesn't bother me. I also have time to bake bread too, as well as hang my clothes on the line!

So happy to see all the Sonlight uses here. I love this forum and struggle with the one on Sonlight. So nice to meet you all.

How would SL work if you have 2nd and 5th grade? Can they be combined? If not how do you use two different packages? I was just telling my mother that I was a little burnt out and wished I was using something that was more open and go. I am looking at the SL website but still wondering......