Menu

Online schools

I just found out yesterday at a homeschoolers picnic that the majority of the people who homeschool the upper grades use online schools. I asked a father I highly respect about what he plans on using for high school (he has a DS the same age as my DS) and he said it is all planned out through their online school.

Then I found out others are using online schools, too.

I feel so alone! It's just me, DS and a bunch of books/curric. we want to use.

Please assure me that there are others out there who don't use online schools.

I do not use online schooling for homeschooling as of yet. I enjoy the interaction with my children too much right now. I am not opposed to online course or classes though and think they can be beneficial for certain subjects at times.

It can be a shocker though when you realize how many are doing online or cybering.

:grouphug:

It seems like there are several directions people go around here for high school aged- kids.

1) Work towards mastery and to college acceptance, usually moving to college coursework early. The goal isn't a high school diploma, so a student won't necessarily take 4 high school math classes-in fact, if he's good at math, he might not take any, going straight to college level work in that area, while doing English and History at home if those aren't strong areas. Eventually, the kid gets a college degree, and not having a high school diploma is a moot point.

2) Work towards an eventual goal in a career field (apprenticeship, beauty school, art school, design school, serious dance or athletics....) with the plan of getting a GED test to document academics.

In both cases, the student is probably legally considered a drop out until they finish college or a GED, which can make getting a part-time job or in some states, a drivers license a little harder (although it's much less of a concern for the kids who can show a college ID-if you're in college, few people ask whether you've graduated from high school).

3) Go for a high school diploma, which means documenting credits. I'm in a state where any sort of state-funded program does not recognize "Category IV" diplomas, so without the documentation needed to get a higher category one from an accredited public school system or umbrella school (which requires meeting the state requirements on credit hours, and, for a public school, exams), you don't have that piece of paper. Which is a real boon for K12.com, Calvert, Abeka, and similar programs that grant diplomas.

Edited by Dmmetler2
to make it clear that we're talking about the teen set only. K-8th grade is easy!

Do you mean online schools used for every class, or just a class or two?

My ds and dd have had online classes in writing, and my ds is finishing up an online Latin I class. He is already enrolled in Latin II for the fall.

As far as I know, I'm the only one out my circle of friends who uses an online class, and, as you can see, it's really not a big part of our schooling. With the writing, I was having a hard time explaining to the kids the 'whys' of writing, and they did well hearing it from someone else, and being critiqued by someone else. As for the Latin.... it's not something I could teach, and since ds is already self-teaching in other subjects, I felt that having someone else teach him and give him deadlines would make him get the work done~~ it did. A bonus is that it is not a 'mommy grade'. I also feel it has gotten his feet wet in preparation for cc classes.

There are several reasons people turn to online classes; for me, the outside advantage of the writing and Latin instruction freed my brain up to concentrate on other things, and plan ahead. With two dc, I feel that my brain is constantly in planning mode. Also, there are classes that are of an advanced nature that a parent may not feel confident enough to teach. And, some parents want a class & grade that isn't mommy-driven/scored. Plus, some kids try harder for people other than 'mom'.

Also, I'm sure there are people who homeschool who just don't feel up to the job, but know public/private school isn't the best way for their family, so they have the kids in all online classes.

Don't feel that you have to do online classes just because others are. If you are happy with what you are doing, then it's right for you. :D

Why does it bother you?

I just found out yesterday at a homeschoolers picnic that the majority of the people who homeschool the upper grades use online schools. I asked a father I highly respect about what he plans on using for high school (he has a DS the same age as my DS) and he said it is all planned out through their online school.

Everything. The online school sets up the curric. and they follow it, tweaking it for their specific interests, philosophies, etc.

Ah, OK. Well, I know of one family who uses an online school because it's accredited (if memory serves!) and the child will receive a diploma from the school. That doesn't matter to me, but to them, I guess it does.

The child also has a high chance of not going to college, so maybe they feel an accredited diploma will be less of a hindrance than a non-accredited one when job-time comes around. I'm just thinking out loud here.

It could also be that the child may not 'step up' and do the work mommy assigns, but will do it for a 'teacher'. Again, I'm just thinking out loud.

Do you have specific concerns that someone here might be able to help with, or are you just wondering out loud why people use online schools this way?

Do you have specific concerns that someone here might be able to help with, or are you just wondering out loud why people use online schools this way?

Not really, just sad and lonely because I was wanting to commiserate about looking for curric and such and no one was understanding what I was saying about Apologia or Conceptual Physics or Chalkdust. No one else was too concerned about planning for next year because most of it has been done for them.

I felt like Rudolph on the Island of Misfit Toys - A misfit among misfits.;)

Not really, just sad and lonely because I was wanting to commiserate about looking for curric and such and no one was understanding what I was saying about Apologia or Conceptual Physics or Chalkdust. No one else was too concerned about planning for next year because most of it has been done for them.

misfittoys.jpg

4toys.jpg

misfit-toys.jpg

:lol:I am not poking fun, but welcome to my world! But I do know how you feel.....when dd11 gets together (more and more infrequently) with her friends from private school, I can see them staring at me even harder trying to figure out why I am STILL homeschooling and planning to continue to homeschool.

Yesterday we bumped into a lacrosse mom at the library - we chat at the games all the time......yesterday, at the library the BOMBSHELL that we are homeschooling dropped! WHY WOULD ANYONE WHOSE CHILD COULD ATTEND SUCH and SUCH PUBLIC SCHOOL, HOMESCHOOL? It was written all over her face. She thinks I'm a loon!

PS -- Uhhhhh, D.A., some of the google images I found didn't have anything to do with the Christmas Movie!:w00t::willy_nilly::svengo:

I'm in the same boat. All the time I've invested in friendships, contacts, etc only to see everyone put their kids in full online school. I've no one to bounce ideas with, form clubs, or discuss what to use. Planning a class for one by yourself isn't as much fun and doesn't always generate better ideas as planning a class with several families does. They are ever increasingly busier and busier and we are less and less together. I just thought the high school years would be a blast because of the group we had to do stuff with it. Now the group is busy and we are alone again. Floating one man boats made from cardboard and duct tape to see who can last the longest all by yourself is not as much fun when there were 10 kids to do the project with. The online school has them working out a different project that can easily be done on computer. UGH!!

But all that aside, we do two online classes and might bump it to three but we don't do full online. Latin and forgien language were just out of my league. But I have too much fun with the sciences, history ,and the rest of it too give those up.

This is me. I use curric different from what my friends use. My kids have had, and will continue to have, various online classes and my ds is planning to dual enroll next year in the 10th grade for a class or two.

I can't think of one subject that my friends and I use the same materials for, and no one's kids are dual enrolling.

May I join you on the Island of the Misfits Among Misfits? :D:lol:

Everything. The online school sets up the curric. and they follow it, tweaking it for their specific interests, philosophies, etc.

I would say the majority of people we know do *some* online classes in high school but only about half do everything through an online school.

Could someone give an example, or post a link, to what it meant by online school? I've never heard of any around here, or heard anyone speak of one.

Some of these are accredited schools with diplomas and some just offer online classes:

K12

Keystone

Veritas Press Scholars Academy

The Potter's School

Are you in a state that has free Virtual schools? If so, I could see parents who are on the fence about homeschooling going that route as an intermediate step.

:iagree: Hawaii offers free laptops and K12 curriculum to "homeschool" students through virtual public charter schools.

I'll bring the chips and dip if someone else brings the drinks.

Oh, I can bring drinks. ;)

There is a bit of everything here. I have friends who are partially enrolled in highschool, homeschool, college, online highschools, home-only-school and every combination in-between.

I agree with other posters that for some people it is about accreditations. They want that stamped paper without having to go through an umbrella school to get the 'homeschool accredited diploma'. I think most often it is a lack of educational background in the parent.

My ds15 started at the local highschool for 10th this year, and will attend college next year (dual enrolled but on college campus only). It is mainly because at 15 he is taking:

Pre-AP English

Pre-AP Spanish 3

Pre-Ap Pre-calculus

Pre-Ap Chemistry

Engineering

Weight Training

I have no educational background to offer him any expertise in any of his subjects. I can text-book-only teach him but that would be quite boring. Next year as a 16yo Freshman in College he will taking (he already tested in and was accepted)

Writing -1st year college

College Calculus

College Chemistry, Biology or Physics

He will also be studing for AP exams in 2-3 subjects and submitting a formal science fair project. He is wayyyyy ahead of me acedemically! There is no way I could offer him this level of education at home. IF he wasn't going to a school for these I would be outsourcing them some how, either with tutors or on-line.

I have no educational background to offer him any expertise in any of his subjects. I can text-book-only teach him but that would be quite boring.

<snip>

IF he wasn't going to a school for these I would be outsourcing them some how, either with tutors or on-line.

I agree. My eldest will be in ninth grade next year. There are a few courses we are outsourcing through distance learning classes in one form or another. Not all subjects are in my knowledge base or comfort zone.

Well, the homeschoolers I know in our area are pretty much unschoolers. When they discover that my middle daughter is doing a lot of academics, they are a bit befuddled I think--they just don't see the point, I guess. My youngest has learning differences, so I feel a better late than early approach is best for her. These unschoolers I know have lovely kids who do amazing things--read a ton, are involved in community things, do theatre, raise farm animals, and on and on, so I am in no way saying it's a bad thing. I admire them, in fact. I just don't know that I could do that with my 13 yo who is pretty academically oriented. But yeah, unschoolers are most of the homeschoolers I know so I feel like an odd one out doing more of a school at home thing.

As for online courses, my dd 13 took two online classes this year in 7th grade. Latin, a literature course (Classical Mythology) and a history workshop. They all went really well. So well that I must admit that we're probably going to be one of those families you are talking about where the kiddo is taking her classes online next year. :ohmy:

The online classes keep her on track and motivate her. She loves the interaction with other kids and the teachers. Even with online classes, I still feel pretty involved and more on top of things, honestly. We go over things. I do Latin flashcards with her, I read some things here and there for her Mythology course so I can talk to her about what she's reading. It's been really good all around. I know there are a few others who post on here whose kids do mostly online but for the most part, it seems there are more who don't go this route. I feel like if she does everything online next year that we're the ones doing something weird. :tongue_smilie:

In fact, I was going to post about this, wondering if I am copping out or doing a disservice to her by not letting her be foot-loose and fancy free next year with the exception of Latin. However, we are definitely making sure that the courses she takes have a reasonable work load. That's important to me. I don't want her in a class that requires 8-10 (or more) hours a week outside of class in 8th grade. I think for her age, about an hour a day for a subject is plenty, possibly more for math.

All that said, I admire you for keeping on keeping on!:thumbup: I think it's great. I thought I would do that, too. I'm kind of disappointed in myself for considering everything online. But I feel that I sometimes don't give her as much as I should as far as interacting in regard to material. The last thing I want to happen next year is to just cut her loose with a Sonlight Core and have her doing it on her own and me bumbling along with her and just not doing quite as much as I think I should.

So, that's my story for why we may be doing what you see lots of folks doing. However, are the folks you mention doing a public virtual academy or something else? We, personally, would not use an online public virtual school.

At least the teens in your area are at home even if they're enrolled in an online school. From what I've observed, nearly all of the homeschooling families in my neck of the woods enroll their teens in a brick & mortar high school or CC. Even the "unschoolers".

I think it has to do with the requirements for getting into the UC system. The student has to take certain course prerequisites specifically approved by UC from an accredited school.

I just found out yesterday at a homeschoolers picnic that the majority of the people who homeschool the upper grades use online schools.

PIease assure me that there are others out there who don't use online schools.

Never even considered an online school ! We have taught high school to two dc already (both currently in college), and plan to do so for our other homeschooled child. Yes, homeschool high school is a lot of work. It also is part of my job.

I guess you mean that this "majority of people" are those in your homeschool group. I wonder what "majority" nationwide do.

I guess you mean that this "majority of people" are those in your homeschool group. I wonder what "majority" nationwide do.

Yes, my 'majority' were in the park that day.

I am curious, too, about how many homeschoolers switch to online or brick-and-mortar during junior high and high school.

I have noticed that the K-8 board here is more active and has many more people viewing it than the high school board.

My DH wants our children to have an accredited high school diploma, and we can't give that to our children in Georgia. We can say they graduated and we can type up a transcript and we can build a portfolio, but we cannot award an accredited diploma. I still consider my high schoolers to be homeschoolers and turn in the same homeschooling paperwork I've always turned in.

But yes, we use an online school for high school, Keystone National High School.

I had a similar revelation. I went to a meeting about homeschooling high school. It was in a community about an hour away. Most of the night was about how to pick the right umbrella school. That was very different from our area.

Most of the homeschoolers here go to school in the alter years- public or private. The unschoolers usually go by about 5th or 6th grade, and the school-at-home kiddos usually go in 9th grade.

I know some parents homeschooling high school. Most use a boxed curriculum or a smattering of traditional materials: Apologia, Saxon, etc. Some utilize online writing programs, and one uses PA AP classes. Many use the community college.

I've actually recently looked into this (although my oldest is only in second grade, so we'll see if I've changed my mind when the time comes), and stumbled upon an online high school run through Indiana University. You have the option of taking them for a high school diploma (either through them or as part of your own homeschooling curriculum), or the kids can do AP classes (and eventually take the AP exams for college credit), or take it as a dual credit course (dual credit being high school and college). Both my husband and I like the AP and dual credit options, but I have some reservations. The reason I wanted to home school is so I could do it myself - or with my husband's help at some point. However, I do like some of the course offerings at IU.