Menu

Has anyone tried a grain mill and NOT liked it?

I am interested in milling my own wheat. I have made a lifestyle change toward "good carbs" and I am losing weight and feeling better than I have in years. However, I love to bake and feel like I've lost part of myself by not being able to be very creative in the kitchen. I think I would enjoy the process of bread and baked goods from scratch.

I have been making wheat bread from commercial whole wheat flour and I use a 50/50 mix for things like pizza dough and my dc are fine with that.

It is a big investment, though, without being able to try it out first. I don't have any friends I could borrow from. I read all the time here about how much better the taste is and how everyone loves it. Has anyone not liked the taste? Have anyone's dc balked at the taste/ texture of the bread?

Do you use it for things like muffins/ quick breads?

It seems like there might be a big learning curve. If I can produce a decent loaf of ww bread (in my Kitchenaid) with commercial ww flour will I be able to do it with fresh milled without needing too many hours of research?

Is there anyplace to buy a refurbished Nutrimill?

Thanks!

Marie

and while I like it, I can tell you it can be hard to find the time to grind the wheat I need.

The other problem with it is that everyone got used to nice fresh bread, made from fresh ground wheat. When I buy store bought bread no one is happy. :001_smile:

The other problem is I eat a lot more fresh bread than store bought, which is not good. :D

we have a nutrimill, and yes it makes you eat more bread lol. I find that I can put 100% whole wheat flour in things like banana bread and muffins and they turn out great. DH bought some wheat gluten so we add a bit of that to yeast recipes and that helps too. love it love it love it. I will say that the nutrimill is a lot bigger than it looks in the pics online. the text on the appliance is really big, which implies that it's the size of a coffee maker when you see a picture out of context.

and I've used it less than 10 times probably. I just don't have the time that I thought I would to bake and then the massive cleanup afterwords. Fun to make, but I just have to prioritize my time and making bread from scratch falls low on the scale of importance. Now I don't know what to do with the machine! :glare:

I was hesitant to try it as well even though I had an older stone mill one already. I am very happy I went with the nutrimill. I use the hard wheat for breads and anything with yeast. I use the soft wheat for anything with baking powder. I would say I'm using about 75% whole wheat and 25% white (for things like cookies and thickening).

As far as taste, I would say fresh milled is "sweeter" than store bought. Since the store stuff is past it's prime it tends to have a bitter flavor although you may not realize this until you have tasted something else. Fresh flour tastes - fresh.

I have no problems getting the grains. We have several grocery stores that sell it by the pound (although it is pricey that way). I have access to a food co-op (Country Life Natural Foods) as well as an Amish community about an hour away. I have also heard many people talk about ordering from breadbeckers (although they are quite a bit more $ than the co-op and AMish store)

I think Pleasant Hill Grains sells returned mills or something, at a discount. I can't find it on their website, though; call them. King Arthur Flour also sells them and if you get on their email mailing list, you'll eventually get 20% off coupons that they accept for Nutrimill.

I have one. I found it to be a lot of fun, but whoever thinks they are quiet spends a lot of time at rock concerts or rock quarries -- the first time I used it, my daughter cried! I leave the room while mind grinds away. I haven't used it in a while, but I've been meaning to.

The taste of the flour is fine. I've used it for rice and beans as well (which are way, WAY louder than wheat!).

Right after I bought mine, the price of wheat went way up, so it's not exactly cheap to buy the wheat grains, which has been a disincentive. I can buy whole wheat flour at Indian grocery stores, which cuts my motivation considerably.

Well...the taste of the breads just can't be beat!!! There is a GIGANTIC difference in taste & smell. WW flour goes rancid fast, so the ww flour on the shelf at the supermarket is probably rancid, which is what gives it that taste that causes most people to dislike ww bread. I only buy white flour from the store.

The downsides...you have to actually bake the bread. I do that anyway, so it's not really a factor in whether or not to *mill* the flour. The actual milling is turning a dial. I have a Nutrimill and it's non-work to use. I clean it occasionally.;)

One of my dc has asthma, and he can't be in the kitchen when I'm milling. I try to do it at night after he's in bed so it's ready for baking in the am.

Oh, and the mill is loud.

we have a nutrimill, and yes it makes you eat more bread lol. I find that I can put 100% whole wheat flour in things like banana bread and muffins and they turn out great. DH bought some wheat gluten so we add a bit of that to yeast recipes and that helps too. love it love it love it. I will say that the nutrimill is a lot bigger than it looks in the pics online. the text on the appliance is really big, which implies that it's the size of a coffee maker when you see a picture out of context.

I agree that the nutrimill is great. If you get good wheat you don't have to add anything to the fresh ground flour. Wheat Montana is the best I used.

I hardly get to use ours either, but I know I will use it more as the kids get older. You know, when I get to sleep through the night and they no longer need to hang off my legs when I try to do anything! I wouldn't bother about a hand grinder. There's not a chance you'll use it. I used to, before I had kids, but it took two hours to grind the grain for one loaf of bread. I don't have that kind of energy any more! Usually, these days, we use it to grind bean flours for soups, but as I said, that'll change as time goes on.

:)

Rosie

I don't love the bread, but my family professes to. I use half-fresh milled and half-Montana wheat flour in my bread machine, as I got tired of all fresh-milled. I did not like fresh-milled in any other baked goods, even mixed with store-bought whole wheat or white, but I need to try to work on that again.

I keep the mill in my garage, which helps with space (I despise clutter and do not permit kitchen appliances to live on my counters) and with the noise issue. I sewed it a little cloth cozy to keep the dust off. My bread machine lives there, too. Yeah, it has its own cozy. They sit up on an Ikea cabinet right outside the kitchen door.

If you don't like it, you can always sell it. I tried to find a used one forever, and if I could find one, it was nearly the new price.

ETA: I USE the grain mill and bread maker in the garage; I don't haul them in and out of the kitchen. When I bake bread, I have the best-smelling garage in the neighborhood!

Terri

Edited by plansrme

I have a hand mill that I have used exactly ONE time! Dh watched me struggle with it and drove to town and bought the attachment for my KA. I still have the hand mill, but I sure hope I never have to use it! I love my KA attachment and use it several times a week. The KA doesn't grind as fine as some, but I don't use 100% whole wheat in anything. The KA works perfectly for half ww, half white.

If you needed finer flour, is it possible? Could it maybe be run through twice? I have the KA mixer and have been curious about the grain mill. I would like to make 100% whole wheat bread, pancakes etc. I do not need a clunky expensive kitchen spacer eater upper though. :tongue_smilie:

I have the Nutrimill. I baked tons then fell off the wagon. Well, now I am baking again and set up a baking center. I got a three shelf WIDE black metal shelf at Target for $30. It is wide enough to hold my Nutrimill, Bosch Universal, a basket of my goodies for baking like bags and olive oil, and my small buckets of things like Sucanat.

I love it!! I put it up in my Dining Room and I can mill the wheat there and use my Bosch right on the top shelf. I have a microwave on the second shelf, though I think I'm getting rid of it soon. I have a microwave over my stove and got this one used because I did not like the kids pulling hot things down from over their heads. Now, they are tall enough.

Anyway, I find if I don't have mine handy I never use it much. I bought the book Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes and we had the best bread tonight!! I plan on making it tons since it is set up.

You will eat more but I am currently attending WW and figured the 100% Whole Wheat Plain & Simple recipe is only 1 point per slice. That is really great! The calories can be watched when you know what you are baking.

If you needed finer flour, is it possible? Could it maybe be run through twice? I have the KA mixer and have been curious about the grain mill. I would like to make 100% whole wheat bread, pancakes etc. I do not need a clunky expensive kitchen spacer eater upper though. :tongue_smilie:

I'm interested in the KA attachment too. It is a lot cheaper and smaller and maybe a good starter model to see if we actually like it.

Thanks for all the input!

Marie

i used my vitamix to grind wheat (special container). I ended up with intestinal distress for about 6 weeks. I had tests done to rule out other stuff, but the Dr. came to the conclusion that I had too much fiber. I have always had a delicate system, I would like to try it again and see if it was really that. The pancakes I made with fresh whole wheat were so yummy. My kids have commented on them several times.

I didnt buy a grain mill, but I did buy a machine that mills grain as one of its many functions. (Thermomix- not available in the U.S.) I had always wanted a grain mill, and thought I would use my TM for milling grains, but I dont very much- but that is more because I have headed toward a raw food diet and dont eat much bread, and dh became wheat intolerant and simply doesnt eat much bread any more. And ds will only eat white wonderbread, which I wont buy very often, so he doesnt eat much bread either.

That being said, maybe I will go and make something now.

I'm interested in the KA attachment too. It is a lot cheaper and smaller and maybe a good starter model to see if we actually like it.

Marie

Yes, you can run the KA through twice, the second time is slower. For what I do, the this attachment is fine. I don't bake more than 3 small or 2 large loaves at a time, and less than once a week.

• 1 year later...
Guest Merryheart
and I've used it less than 10 times probably. I just don't have the time that I thought I would to bake and then the massive cleanup afterwords. Fun to make, but I just have to prioritize my time and making bread from scratch falls low on the scale of importance. Now I don't know what to do with the machine! :glare:

Would you like to sell it? I'm looking for a used Nutrimill.

I have a ktec and like it. It is loud a dusty though. With my grinder and bosch mixer that mixes and kneads the dough amd I use the mixing bowl and lid to let it sponge (takes the place of the first rise). With these appluances it is so quick and easy...I make five huge liaves as t a time. Heres the recipe I use with a few tweeks. It has hand and bosch size recipes for this yumny recipe. http://articles.urbanhomemaker.com/index.php?article=83 I do not vb use the dough enhancer or gluten in my bread, just all fresly ground whole wheat flour AND I prefer white wheat rather tnan red hands down.

Edited by JENinOR

I have a ktec and like it. It is loud a dusty though. With my grinder and bosch mixer that mixes and kneads the dough amd I use the mixing bowl and lid to let it sponge (takes the place of the first rise). With these appluances it is so quick and easy...I make five huge liaves as t a time. Heres the recipe I use with a few tweeks. It has hand and bosch size recipes for this yumny recipe. http://articles.urbanhomemaker.com/index.php?article=83

You can order a free catalog from the urban homemaker as well...its fun to llok through and I have ordered from them we ith no complaints.

Oh and for quick breads I do not use my grinder. I do coffee cake, corn bread, muffins, waffles and pancakex in my vitamix. I use whole grains (not flour!) with the other ing and make blender batters. so easy!!!! Ive got so mant ppl hooked on this. Ive dx eveloped my vb own recipes after so many years but here are a few to get you s tr arted if you are interested.

http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breakfasts/blenderbatterwaffles/blenderbatterwafflesA.htm

http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breakfasts/blenderbattercoffeecake/coffeecakerecipe.htm

http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breads/cornbread/cornbreadA.htm

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/wwblenderpancakes.htm

Edited by JENinOR

My kids are already used to whole grains and didn't notice when I switched to using only whole wheat flour when I bought my NutriMill. Even in cookies. :tongue_smilie: I don't buy flour anymore. I grind a bunch of wheat in one shot (~10 min.) and store the flour in a 5-gallon bucket with a Gamma lid. I have a different bucket for my wheat. :) I use hard spring white wheat and don't need to add any gluten.

Before I got my NutriMill, I used a grain mill attachment on my juicer. I only used that when I was baking bread because it did not grind fine enough to use in anything else.

Someday I will experiment with other grains. It's wonderful for wheat. :)

We had been considering a mill for a couple of years. We narrowed it down to Nutrimill, Whispermill, and KoMo. My husband and I were sold on the health benefits if keeping the fiber coat and wheat germ in fresh ground wheat that store bought flour removes for shelf life and we wanted to grind oat groats for muesli and less processed oatmeal.

Our neighbors had one of the mills we were considering and let us try some fresh milled wheat snd it was a little coarser than I was hoping for. Good for bread but I wanted more versatility. I read some comparison studies and learned some of the top mills could attain very fine grind by passing through 2 or 3 times. The KoMo could produce a remarkably fine grind on the first run through. This was the deciding factor for us. It has millstones made of corundum/ceramic that remains sharp and doesn't heat the flour up as much as the other mills in the studies therefore maintaining the nutrients.

It was one of the more quiet of the mills. It has solid beech hardwood housing and has minimal clean-up so I keep it on my countertop. I ordered gamma lids for the 42 lb buckets of grain but also ordered the wall-mounted KoMo Granary to hold three different grains for easier access.

We have only had the mill for tens days and posted about it last week. I'm so glad we have it and have been pleasantly pleased with baking results and how easy the transition has been. Before this I could only replace up to one-third of the flour with ww before taste was affected. I've made various loaves of bread, pizza, oatmeal cookies, Dutch Baby Pancakes. I made each recipe twice using a combo of AP and ww flour and using only ww. We are happy with the taste of only ww. (Dutch pancake even puffed up with only ww). My son even made sugar cookies with only ww flour and it was puffy and cake-like. He said they were "fantastic...more favorable".

I'm new at this so I'm still looking for articles and blogs for advice. I came across one tip that sounded interesting and I believe contributed to good beginning results. It suggested to soak have the ww flour in warm water to produce a lighter textured bread and eliminate the need to add gluten.

We also use it to grind corn and oats. We eat lots of oatmeal and Muesli with dates, apples and nuts for cereal and oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies are my favorite!

Edited by Kerrie in VA