Menu

Twilight series...is the book series too much content-wise for 6th grader?

My nieces(ages 4th and 6th graders)just finished watching Twilight. My sister-in-law asked me this morning about whether or not the books would be appropriate for the oldest to read.

For those of you who have read the books...what are your thoughts...and do any of you, have girls about that age that have read the book series.

thanks

I am sure you will get different opinions on this, but I would not allow a girl under the age of 15 to read them. They are not graphic, but they are *very* focused on sexual desire.

Further, I would insist on having looooong talks with that 15 year old about the characteristics of an abusive relationship, almost all of which exist for Bella and Edward.

I don't think they are appropriate for a 6th grader. Too much unhealthiness there. If the hero was human and not a vampire, I would call him a violent and dangerous stalker. It would be too easy for a young girl to romanticize this behavior and call it love.

On the other hand, I LOVE reading these books, and am currently listening to Twilight on my mp3. Fine for an adult, not so great for an 11yo.

My two cents.

I am sure you will get different opinions on this, but I would not allow a girl under the age of 15 to read them. They are not graphic, but they are *very* focused on sexual desire.

Further, I would insist on having looooong talks with that 15 year old about the characteristics of an abusive relationship, almost all of which exist for Bella and Edward.

:iagree:

I agree with everyone above. Bella is so passive, it's disturbing.

And just an aside-I've only read the first book, which I enjoyed, but I had to wonder, if you were going to live forever as a vampire, why would you choose to spend eternity in high school? At least a college freshman would be slightly better!

Agreed - the message given is that but for the fact that Edward is a vampire and could too easily hurt Bella, they would have been having sex eons ago.

In addition *spoilers*

In one of the last books, they do have sex and she is very, very bruised up. Ok, for a middle-older teen. Not ok for my 11 year old daughter who would very much like to be able to read the books. The first book may be "iffy" but the series progresses and the last ones are definitely "no's". No sense in starting the series until she can complete it in my opinion.

Definitely not for a 6th grader! I have read them all and have told my 15 yo that she needs to wait another year or two. There are some thoughts I really don't want her to have in her head just yet. She has seen the first movie and will see the second movie soon.

I don't think they are appropriate for a 6th grader. Too much unhealthiness there. If the hero was human and not a vampire, I would call him a violent and dangerous stalker. It would be too easy for a young girl to romanticize this behavior and call it love.

I don't like the depression she goes into when Edward leaves her at one point. That was not healthy.

My daughter did read them when she was in 7th grade. It was actually this series that got her very interested in reading and she now reads constantly. I only read them because she recommended them to me. My general policy with her book selections (which I'm sure will be somewhat unpopular here) was that she could read whatever she wanted, but she had to discuss any questions with me. I read a lot and I read fast so the majority of things she read, if I thought they might be iffy, I was able to read them and initiate conversations.

The first two books in the series aren't bad from a sex standpoint - the third and fourth are a lot worse and graphic with a birth scene in one of them (don't remember which right now). Edward actually wants to hold off on sex until they are married. What I did absolutely HATE about them is Bella's attitude of "can't live without him", "life is nothing without him", etc. I did talk to my daughter about that but she's not the type to give that much control over her life to any boy. Only you know your daughter so its up to you to decide if she can handle it or not. Is she the type to really take that kind of behaviour to heart and want to emulate it? Or will she think it's stupid but enjoy the other aspects of the story?

a young teen ... lots of sexual tension and Bella is passive and dependent on boyz/men. Now, I did like them (yes - I read all 4!) but I wouldn't want my young daughter reading these until she was able to see the big picture. I do know Moms who have let their 10 yo daughters see all the movies - why, why, why?????

PS - I come from a family where my Mom let me read anything and everything - she did not believe in book censorship at all. Kudos to her but she put her foot down with inappropriate movies/tv. I try to live up to her standards but I did steer my daughter from this one - she didn't fight it too much. Lucky for me.

I'm not sure why anyone would let their young child who may be at the brink of puberty and who had pretty much zero experience with relationships and dating, etc. read a book like this.

Of course, every parent gets to decide. Your mileage may vary. My humble opinion only.

I like the idea that my daughter is learning about some of the issues and pitfalls of dating and relationships long before she is likely to run into them on her own. She's still not allowed to date (although we are less than a month away from her 16th birthday when she can) but we've had the opportunity to prepare her for all kinds of things - not letting a guy become more important than everything else in her life, making sure a guy treats her right, that noone has the right to lay a hand on her (abuse) or to do anything that she doesn't want, etc. She has a lot of male friends and has for years. To her guys are just people, nothing overly special, some are nice, some are jerks. She (unlike quite a few of her friends) does not feel like she HAS to have a boyfriend at all times to be fulfilled. I may feel differently about her reading habits if we didn't talk openly and frequently about a wide variety of things and often books can open up the doors to an important conversation. (Of course this will only work if there's a parent willing to read them as well).

When my daughter read the books in question she was actually about 3 years past the "brink of puberty".

No.

My sil let her teen boy read them at 13, so I thought they were okay w/o pre-reading. DD read the 1st then I read it. I pulled the plug after that which was okay with DD. One review calls it an old fashioned bodice ripper.

The depression that Bella grows through is very realistic.

Editing to add this quote from ReadKiddoRead.com: "The subject matter of the series is a bit too mature, like a modern-day bodice-ripper without the sex, but with plenty of sexual tension and some unsettling violence. True, there's nothing more than a few (smoldering) kisses in the first book, but it still feels pretty steamy."

Edited by PollyOR

Dd read one and then I read it and decided we would stop reading them. She saw the movies. I don't think it's helpful for teens to read about so much intense longing and lust. Take that out of the books and you would have only one novel.

For those wondering, here is a plot summary of New Moon.

OK, it's a hilarious lolcats version. Even if you don't like lolcats, which I don't, you must read it. Because it's funny.

Ok, those reviews are right on. As a person who has not read the books, that's about what I got out of the movies. I am seriously asking myself, "Self, are ya kidding me? What is all the fuss about? These are the most boring movies ever!" I had to have crib notes from the teen to even make a plot out of the second one. That's when I started thinking maybe I should read the books because I am obviously missing something, like the point. I keep thinking well, there must be some deeper meaning in the books but as far as I can tell, there is not. Maybe, I am missing some fundamental female part that makes these books irresistable? :confused: I guess I need to read them but I can tell you, it feels like a chore. :glare:

Ugh! Okay, fine - I let my dd read them first. She referred them to me, and I read them, and liked them. I, too, am fairly liberal with books (within reason - no gratuitous sex, no inane stupidity, etc). By the time I got to the 4th book, I was wondering what the heck I just let my daughter read!

However, just to put the relationship into perspective - and by that I mean what both my dd and I got out of them - I feel that the relationship between Bella and Edward was symbolically realistic. If you have sex, bad things will happen. If he truly loves you, he will wait because it is in the best interest of everyone. As for Bella and her ... reliance upon Edward: Yes, relationships are difficult. They are *everything* in those teenage years, whether we as parents want to believe that or not anymore. But I remember how totally consuming they are. Her position makes for darn good discussion, imo.

Dd's friend goes to ps. This girl is in 5th grade. This girl just "found a boyfriend" - and her reason? So someone can protect her from bullies. She has never previously discussed this with her mother - nor has she read these books. This girl's friend, also in 5th grade has a boyfriend and has "kissed him 7 times". That girl doesn't read anything at all. My point is that none of the content of these books is new to young girls. And the "message" is actually a good one. Dd thinks they "are all idiots" (in reference to the two 5th grade girls with boyfriends). Sometimes a good, thought provoking discussion is necessary, even at this age, and in some families, a book might do it. Then again, maybe the book would never get discussed. (Discussion being key here.)

Young girl reading material? No. Had I known how the end of the 3rd and the beginning of the 4th would be, I would not have allowed any of them. But, I'm glad we were able to have the super cool discussion we have had in relation to the story and how it relates to real life.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by LauraGB
ridiculously bad spelling

I couldn't even finish the first book because of the abusive relationship between Bella and Edward. It was triggering too many memories and I have no desire to relive that crap. I find it disturbing that millions of teens are reading the books, watching the movies, and finding that relationship romantic. :ack2: My 16 yo has read the books, so I really need to have a talk with her about abuse.

A little off topic, but...I am curious why anyone would choose to let their kids read part of a series if they know they will not allow them to read them all? That would just "kill" my child if she couldn't finish right away. Are other kids okay with that?

Back to the topic, I have not read the books or seen the movies because I used to be a big vampire movie fan. I was convicted by God not to do that anymore, so I don't. I do have a neighbor that has read them. She said they are very inappropriate for young girls.

Well, here's one example of letting kids read some, but not all, of a series. Sort of. I let my kids age along with Harry Potter. They can read the first book on their 11th birthday, and the next one in the series the year after. It's worked great so far.

As far as Twilight goes, I mentioned above I am listening to the first one on audio (again) while I do dishes, etc. I'm finding it MUCH less appealing the second time through. It's just so cheeeeeeesy and harlequin romance-ish that I doubt I'll finish. I don't know how I missed that the first time.

Guest Cindie2dds

However, just to put the relationship into perspective - and by that I mean what both my dd and I got out of them - I feel that the relationship between Bella and Edward was symbolically realistic. If you have sex, bad things will happen. If he truly loves you, he will wait because it is in the best interest of everyone. As for Bella and her ... reliance upon Edward: Yes, relationships are difficult. They are *everything* in those teenage years, whether we as parents want to believe that or not anymore. But I remember how totally consuming they are. Her position makes for darn good discussion, imo.

Young girl reading material? No.

Just my 2 cents.

:iagree:

And as for the bolded part, I remember it being physically painful when my husband and I (then boyfriend) had to move to different cities when I was a freshman in college. These books reminded me of how intense love was then. Now, I'm a 38 year old married woman who has been there, done that, and can relive it through older, hopefully, wiser eyes. I wouldn't let my girls read them until they were at least 16, if not older. Hopefully we could have some great discussions then.

Edited by Cindie2dds

A little off topic, but...I am curious why anyone would choose to let their kids read part of a series if they know they will not allow them to read them all? That would just "kill" my child if she couldn't finish right away. Are other kids okay with that?

I knew what was in them all. They were all out before my eldest became interested. I told her before she started them that she would not be allowed to read the fourth one.

Speaking generally to the thread and not the post above, I do agree that vampirism=another form of bodice rippers. I've mentioned before on this forum that I wrote a paper on this in college.

At 13 or so most girls are getting interested in boys. I believe what's when you need to have those talks, imo.

I'm not sure why anyone would let their young child who may be at the brink of puberty and who had pretty much zero experience with relationships and dating, etc. read a book like this.

Of course, every parent gets to decide. Your mileage may vary. My humble opinion only.

I ahve no interest in reading a book that involves vampires. at all. But, from what I have read I would not want my daughter reading them until she is married for a while and has a healthy relationship with her spouse. It is too easy to get wrong ideas about how romantic relationships work.

I wouldn't have let a 4th and 6th grader watch the movie, personally.

When these first came out and "everyone" was reading them, I agreed to pre-read it with DH to determine if my almost teen daughter could join a book club reading these. DH and I didn't even finish half the book before we agreed no. And so none of mine will be seeing the movies either.

There is soooo much wonderful literature out there...both old classics and even newer stuff. Why would I want my children who have not even dated yet to have their first impression of dating and s*x to be this twisted? Some of the things in this book were tough for me...and I'm almost 50, been married twice with a few other serious relationships to boot......and I was disturbed by it. Definitely not something for someone who has not yet experienced a good relationship.

I haven't read the other replies. I read the first book and then watched the first movie. I decided to let my 11 year old dd WATCH the movie, but not read the book. The 1st book, imho, goes into Bella's head a bit more than I would like my dd to read. She has very deep thoughts of lust for Edward, etc. Not action - just thoughts. Too much for my comfort level for a 6th grader. For what it is worth, I am pretty lenient on some things - so if I was uncomfortable with it - that says a lot.