Menu

So, my 11yo is reading Alice in Wonderland right now and wants more books like that. She's tired of the usual fantasy she reads (fairies, elves, etc) and wants *weird*. She's enjoyed The Graveyard Book, but loved Coraline. Any suggestions? I don't have a problem with young adult or even some adult novels, as long as it's not heavy on the romance (she's not interested and I'd like to keep it that way), or the subject matter too mature.

I would appreciate any help.

The first thing that pops to mind is

Wicked, but I'd suggest that you read it first-it's quite a bit darker than the musical.

Holy cow! Seriously? I've read Wicked, and never in a million years would I let my 11 year old read it. I would consider it in high school. Possibly. :001_huh:

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but there's some seriously weird adult stuff in that book. Yikes.

I wish I had a better suggestion, though. I know my dd would like some different fantasy novels to read. The trick is getting the weird without the inappropriate.

Holly

Holy cow! Seriously? I've read Wicked, and never in a million years would I let my 11 year old read it. I would consider it in high school. Possibly. :001_huh:

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but there's some seriously weird adult stuff in that book. Yikes.

I wish I had a better suggestion, though. I know my dd would like some different fantasy novels to read. The trick is getting the weird without the inappropriate.

Holly

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The Phantom Tollbooth. Our dog Milo is named after the main character. It fits the bill as a bizarre but great book. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Also, The Midnighters, it's a series. There's some "romance" but it's teenagers, hand holding, and a peck or two. You might want to try "The City of Ember" series too. It's sort of science fictiony future stuff.

ETA: 11 too young, but you might want to keep this one in mind for later ;) I'm not sure of the age of your dd, but mine (13) has started reading "The Talisman" by Stephen King (one of my all time favorite books). It's about a twelve-year-old boy that has to go on a mission across the US and through another world... like another dimension, to save his mother's life and the life of the queen of the other world. It's definitely dark, scary, but there's so much beauty and excitement, wonder etc. It could very well be too mature, but it's a thought :)

Try asking your librarian. Ours is up to date on all the young adult novels that come out and supremely helpful in finding books just like this.

The Brits and Aussies excel at weird -- my daughter is addicted to Terry Pratchett (the Tiffany Aching series; "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents"; and now the adult series, especially "Going Postal"). She also is in love with anything by Douglas Adams ("Hitchhiker's Guide" series), both the original radio plays and the books. Still this kind of weird but with a girl as the main character: "The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie" by Jaclyn Moriarty -- it is not gory or overtly violent, but -- spoiler -- the main character has a poisoning attempt made on her in a weird, convoluted plot; she recovers.

They are by Lloyd Alexander, and there are 5 books in the series. The last one won a Newbery award about 30 years ago. They sort of remind me of Tolkien but for younger readers.

When she is just a bit older, you might have her read "Enchantress from the Stars". It's part sci fi, part fairy tale. It tells the story of a cultural clash between 3 earth-type worlds at different stages of development. There is no magic in it, despite the title.

Shawna, now I know for sure you need to live closer. Alice was the first "school" book Swimmer Dude chose to read on his own outside of school hours. I would second The Phantom Tollbooth suggestion. Another of Dude's all-time favorites is China Mieville's Un Lun Don. I can't say enough good things about this book with regards to the writing and the message. The blurb on the front cover reads:

"Endlessly inventive...[a] hybrid of Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz and The Phantom Tollbooth."

-Salon

Also look at Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchet. I'll put together a list of some of my dd's favorite books that meet some of your criteria but it sounds like well-written, twisted humor is a must.:D

Also, The Midnighters, it's a series. There's some "romance" but it's teenagers, hand holding, and a peck or two. You might want to try "The City of Ember" series too. It's sort of science fictiony future stuff.

ETA: 11 too young, but you might want to keep this one in mind for later ;) I'm not sure of the age of your dd, but mine (13) has started reading "The Talisman" by Stephen King (one of my all time favorite books). It's about a twelve-year-old boy that has to go on a mission across the US and through another world... like another dimension, to save his mother's life and the life of the queen of the other world. It's definitely dark, scary, but there's so much beauty and excitement, wonder etc. It could very well be too mature, but it's a thought :)

I put both those on my list. I was wondering about King and dh my have that one in his parent's attic. I'll need to ask. I read some when I was younger, but not that one. Thanks!

The Brits and Aussies excel at weird -- my daughter is addicted to Terry Pratchett (the Tiffany Aching series; "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents"; and now the adult series, especially "Going Postal"). She also is in love with anything by Douglas Adams ("Hitchhiker's Guide" series), both the original radio plays and the books. Still this kind of weird but with a girl as the main character: "The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie" by Jaclyn Moriarty -- it is not gory or overtly violent, but -- spoiler -- the main character has a poisoning attempt made on her in a weird, convoluted plot; she recovers.

What is wrong with me? I have Pratchett on the shelf. Not the Rodents one, but I'm sure I've got something she'd enjoy. I may have to disown her if she doesn't. She's taking Hitchhiker with her to her grandparent's for spring break.

Artemis Fowl is good too, another series...

They are by Lloyd Alexander, and there are 5 books in the series. The last one won a Newbery award about 30 years ago. They sort of remind me of Tolkien but for younger readers.

When she is just a bit older, you might have her read "Enchantress from the Stars". It's part sci fi, part fairy tale. It tells the story of a cultural clash between 3 earth-type worlds at different stages of development. There is no magic in it, despite the title.

On the list. Thanks.

The Inkheart series?

We read the whole series last year. :D

Shawna, now I know for sure you need to live closer. Alice was the first "school" book Swimmer Dude chose to read on his own outside of school hours. I would second The Phantom Tollbooth suggestion. Another of Dude's all-time favorites is China Mieville's Un Lun Don. I can't say enough good things about this book with regards to the writing and the message. The blurb on the front cover reads:

"Endlessly inventive...[a] hybrid of Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz and The Phantom Tollbooth."

-Salon

Also look at Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchet. I'll put together a list of some of my dd's favorite books that meet some of your criteria but it sounds like well-written, twisted humor is a must.:D

We have the Wee Free Men and we've read The Phantom Tollbooth. I would really appreciate the list when you get more time. :)

I just ordered the Mieville. :tongue_smilie:

Walter Moers -- Rumo, The 13-1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, etc.

Rushdie -- Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Gaiman -- Neverwhere, Stardust (short sex scene, prostitutes mentioned briefly), Mirrormask

Miéville -- Un Lun Dun (ETA many months later... and Railsea)

Cornish -- Monster Blood Tattoo series (Foundling is first)

Reeve -- Larklight and sequels, Mortal Engines series

Miller -- Kiki Strike series

I just ordered the Mieville. :tongue_smilie:
Shoot, someone beat me to Miéville. I'm surprised Un Lun Dun isn't more popular, 'cause it's a great read.

Take a look at The Wolves Chronicles series by Joan Aiken. We love them! Quirky, clever, odd, offbeat......love 'em!

Yes! My son still can't get over Miss Slighcarp. Authors that play with words and names are a must as is subtlety. What about Verne's Around the world in 80 Days? Rudyard Kipling? And in a different vein, The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. Either read it aloud yourself or find a good audio version. The grandmother is a most memorable character. Off to check my dd's books.

The Nursery Crimes series by Jasper Fforde - crimes committed by or upon nursery rhyme characters. The Fourth Bear is my favorite (what really happened to Goldilocks after she ran out of that house, anyway?).

I have to check these out. They sound suspiciously like the creative writing papers my son does for school. Stories where the old witch hears a knock at the door and she yells, "You'll have to wait a minute, I'm busy baking Hansel and Gretel.":D

Gaiman -- Neverwhere, Stardust (short sex scene, prostitutes mentioned briefly), Mirrormask

Miéville -- Un Lun Dun

Oh, yeah... if she's into legends and mythologised history, Puck of Pook's Hill and Rewards and Fairies.

Wow! Thanks, Moira. It is difficult to supply the right kind of books for my youngest.

Shawna, I am so glad you asked this question.

Slightly off topic but I was wondering if there was a correlation between kids who like MCT and this kind of fiction.

This info is very helpful. I will purchase the book and start reading it. Thanks for the tip on not being intimated by the size.

Any additional feedback out there? Science? Social Studies? I have reviewed the Apologia site and dd is VERY excited to see marine biology! The biology course is a prereq

:iagree: Seriously! I think I buried my copy in the backyard...

What about Roald Dahl? That dude is totally twisted. :tongue_smilie:

How about The Midnight Folk or Mistress Masham's Repose?

If she hasn't read The Sister's Grimm series, those are great too.

And the sequel to Midnight Folk, Box of Delights.

And has she read The Wonderful O?

The Talisman is an awesome read (but I'd have your dd wait at LEAST another year). If you read it, you HAVE to follow up with Bleak House (King's sequel), they are two of the best books I've ever read.

Oh, and once you reach that point (where she's ready for that much) In the Eyes of the Dragon is another great one. And the gunslinger series (although the end made me groan).

Archer's Goon by Dianna Wynne Jones (I think I have the author's name spelled correctly.)

These are in a totally different veins, but I just came across The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy by William Boniface, and the One Hundred Cupboards Series by N.D. Wilson. The Cupboards trilogy might need to wait a couple of years, but the three about Ordinary Boy might be enjoyed right away.

Edited by SEGway

I'm 'bout to burn up the multi-quote, but you guys are gold!

Take a look at The Wolves Chronicles series by Joan Aiken. We love them! Quirky, clever, odd, offbeat......love 'em!

Never heard of them, but they're on the list. Thanks!

Miéville -- Un Lun Dun

I just gave her the go ahead on Stardust this morning. She asked last year to read it, but I put it off. I've reread and reread that part and so has dh. If it wasn't my favorite Gaiman book I'd probably put it off another year. I know as soon as she reads it, she'll come rolling her eyes at me.

I already had Haroun on my Amazon-6th grade wish list, but I've got the others written down. Thanks.

Yes! My son still can't get over Miss Slighcarp. Authors that play with words and names are a must as is subtlety. What about Verne's Around the world in 80 Days? Rudyard Kipling? And in a different vein, The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. Either read it aloud yourself or find a good audio version. The grandmother is a most memorable character. Off to check my dd's books.

She's read Verne's Leagues and it wasn't her favorite. Is 80 days better? We haven't read Kipling in years, but I'll check him out. I've got the others on my list. Thanks.

The Nursery Crimes series by Jasper Fforde - crimes committed by or upon nursery rhyme characters. The Fourth Bear is my favorite (what really happened to Goldilocks after she ran out of that house, anyway?).

Never heard of this one either, but this sounds like something she'll enjoy. Thank you.

The Looking Glass Wars

This is a great twist on the Alice in Wonderland story. There are two sequels, both as good as the first book.

I may have to order this tonight. She'll want this after Alice. Thank you!

Oh, yeah... if she's into legends and mythologised history, Puck of Pook's Hill and Rewards and Fairies.

Ooh, these are public domain, so I can stick them on her computer to take on spring break.

Slightly off topic but I was wondering if there was a correlation between kids who like MCT and this kind of fiction.

I wonder what else we can find out about our children. :001_huh::tongue_smilie:

What about The Mysterious Benedict Society? Or the Charlie Bone books? Also, this might be too mature for her, but The Hunger Games was really good. Our librarian recommended it for my nine year old, but there is NO WAY I would let him read that yet.

Woolybear

She loved the first Benedict, the 2nd was just 'OK', and she hasn't read the third. She read the first Charlie Bone, and has an interest in the second. She says she'll see after that. I have The Hunger Games on my 8th grade list, but I don't know why I put in there.

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

Is this like the movie?

What about Roald Dahl? That dude is totally twisted. :tongue_smilie:

She loves Dahl. We are slowly building up a collection.

How about The Midnight Folk or Mistress Masham's Repose?

If she hasn't read The Sister's Grimm series, those are great too.

Sister's Grimm is on the list, but I just added the others. Thanks.

And has she read The Wonderful O?

No, but it sounds like it's right up her alley.

The Talisman is an awesome read (but I'd have your dd wait at LEAST another year). If you read it, you HAVE to follow up with Bleak House (King's sequel), they are two of the best books I've ever read.

Oh, and once you reach that point (where she's ready for that much) In the Eyes of the Dragon is another great one. And the gunslinger series (although the end made me groan).

At this point I have enough reading for a while, so I've got a year or two to spare.

Archer's Goon by Dianna Wynne Jones (I think I have the author's name spelled correctly.)

These are in a totally different veins, but I just came across The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy by William Boniface, and the One Hundred Cupboards Series by N.D. Wilson. The Cupboards trilogy might need to wait a couple of years, but the three about Ordinary Boy might be enjoyed right away.

Thanks for these. I think I'm going to get some good reading out of these, too. :001_smile:

Has anyone mentioned Douglas Adams? The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series and the Dirk Gently series. Maybe Tom Holt?

I'd forgotten about Dirk Gently. Thanks!

If you don't mind comic books, you could look for Asterix, but I don't know if they sell those in the U.S.

She usually reads Manga in her spare time, and we have the first Asterix. You can get them on Amazon for varying prices. They're usually pretty pricey, but if I do one or two a year, I can get a collection going.

Edited by Shawna in Texas

About The Neverending Story. I liked it better than the movie which only covers the first half of the story. It was unlike anything I had ever read. Of course, that may not be saying much. I haven't heard of many of the books that have been mentioned in this thread.:)

There is a great review on Amazon that I can't find at the moment. This one will have to do.Review

This was the BEST thread! Thank you for asking - and to everyone for posting! I never would have thought to describe my oldest daughter's interest in books like you did but that is exactly the type of bks she enjoys reading.

There were a ton of books I hadn't heard of before listed!! I ordered so many of them for my daughters - they will LOVE our next trip to pick up books at the library!!

About The Neverending Story. I liked it better than the movie which only covers the first half of the story. It was unlike anything I had ever read. Of course, that may not be saying much. I haven't heard of many of the books that have been mentioned in this thread.:)

There is a great review on Amazon that I can't find at the moment. This one will have to do.Review

Thanks, I will check this out.

Also about The Neverending Story

Make sure you buy this edition of it The Neverending Story

It has the story in two different colors. Purple for Bastian's story, and green for the story taking place in the book.

It costs a little bit more, but it is worth it.

Ah, purple font will be novel enough.

Has she read the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson? My dd LOVED these books!

Actually, I'd like to read these. I like stuff like that. Putting them on the list.

Wow, Shawna, I didn't know you could do that many multi quotes in one post, lol. I don't even know how to do one.:001_huh:

Slinking away. Embarrassed now.....

Woolybear

lol, don't be embarrassed! I just learned how not too long ago. Basically, if you find a thread you know you're going to post on, and see a post you want to reply to, but still want to continue reading the thread, you click 'multi-quote' in the bottom right corner of that post. Once you've read the thread and have clicked 'multi-quote' on one or more posts, you then reply. All the quotes will show up in your reply. Or at least they should. :D

Wow, Shawna, I didn't know you could do that many multi quotes in one post, lol. I don't even know how to do one.:001_huh:

Slinking away. Embarrassed now.....

Woolybear

lol, don't be embarrassed! I just learned how not too long ago. Basically, if you find a thread you know you're going to post on, and see a post you want to reply to, but still want to continue reading the thread, you click 'multi-quote' in the bottom right corner of that post. Once you've read the thread and have clicked 'multi-quote' on one or more posts, you then reply. All the quotes will show up in your reply. Or at least they should. :D

Okay....testing this out.....

The Phantom Tollbooth is fun and definitely off the wall.

Laura

Sorry to do this here, but this was never clear to me.

I think I got it!

Woolybear

Yay, I can do it! Thank you.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry maybe? I loved that when I read it the first time as a teen.

That one is my favorite. I don't want her to read that until I know she'll love it.

Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series I remember as quirky and funny and delightful.

Thanks! I'll put that on the list.

Okay, not bizarre, but she may enjoy the works of Tamora Pierce. Her heroines are sassy and strong characters. There is some romance but it is a side note in several of the series. A great set to start with would be The Protector of the Small. When my dd was 12 and attending two swim practices a day, she really connected with the grueling, constant, and sometimes mind-numbing practice the main character endures on her way to reaching her goal. Has your daughter read the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper? We pull out Cooper's work time and time again when we are looking for great descriptive paragraphs.

Oh, I forgot the Vesper Holly adventures by Lloyd Alexander and his Westmark trilogy. Then there is Garth Nix's the Keys to the Kingdom series and the Abhorsen Trilogy.

Edited by swimmermom3
Additions

Roger Zelany has some really weird sci-fi. It's been so long since I read them that all I remember about them is that they were weird! So, I have no idea of the age frame that would be good or which ones were best to start with. (His books were all weird, some were better than others.)

Shawna! We had a light bulb moment here this morning. I've written before how my youngest doesn't like to read much outside of Calvin & Hobbes and that the only two books he's really enjoyed were Alice and Un Lun Don. Well, last night he finished Wee Free Men. Not only did he love the book, he has not quit talking about it, not just the characters but how it was written, about symbolism , about metaphors. Doing the happy dance here. I despaired of ever having a literary conversation with him. I don't know if it's MCT which has increased his awareness of how words are used, some maturing in thought process, or literary choices, but I'll take it.

This thread couldn't be more timely. Thanks so much!

N.D. Wilson is an exciting author of "daring fantasy adventure". My dd just read 100 Cupboards. This book is about a 12yo boy who hears scratching on the other side of the attic wall. He discovers 99 cupboard doors and finds out they are portals to other worlds. He also wrote Leepike Ridge and Dandelion Fire.

Okay, not bizarre, but she may enjoy the works of Tamora Pierce. Her heroines are sassy and strong characters. There is some romance but it is a side note in several of the series. A great set to start with would be The Protector of the Small. When my dd was 12 and attending two swim practices a day, she really connected with the grueling, constant, and sometimes mind-numbing practice the main character endures on her way to reaching her goal. Has your daughter read the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper? We pull out Cooper's work time and time again when we are looking for great descriptive paragraphs.

Oh, I forgot the Vesper Holly adventures by Lloyd Alexander and his Westmark trilogy. Then there is Garth Nix's the Keys to the Kingdom series and the Abhorsen Trilogy.

We've never read any Tamora Pierce, so we'll check those out. We haven't read the Cooper books, but they were on my list previously. I think I have them on the medieval one. I'll add the other Alexander books with the others (can't have to many of those).

I can't believe I forgot about Garth Nix.

Roger Zelany has some really weird sci-fi. It's been so long since I read them that all I remember about them is that they were weird! So, I have no idea of the age frame that would be good or which ones were best to start with. (His books were all weird, some were better than others.)

I read some Zelany when I was younger and I remember really liking them. I will have to check them out. Thanks!

I love Ysabeau Wilce's Flora Segunda series. It is bizarre like Alice, with a kid in a weird world falling into an even weirder one.

Those look clever. DD loves books with ridiculously long titles. Thanks!

Shawna! We had a light bulb moment here this morning. I've written before how my youngest doesn't like to read much outside of Calvin & Hobbes and that the only two books he's really enjoyed were Alice and Un Lun Don. Well, last night he finished Wee Free Men. Not only did he love the book, he has not quit talking about it, not just the characters but how it was written, about symbolism , about metaphors. Doing the happy dance here. I despaired of ever having a literary conversation with him. I don't know if it's MCT which has increased his awareness of how words are used, some maturing in thought process, or literary choices, but I'll take it.

This thread couldn't be more timely. Thanks so much!

Now he has the Discworld to conquer!

N.D. Wilson is an exciting author of "daring fantasy adventure". My dd just read 100 Cupboards. This book is about a 12yo boy who hears scratching on the other side of the attic wall. He discovers 99 cupboard doors and finds out they are portals to other worlds. He also wrote Leepike Ridge and Dandelion Fire.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

We loved Everything on a Waffle and The Trolls by Polly Horvath. They aren't fantasy like Alice in Wonderland, but they are wonderfully quirky and they have lots of twisted humor in them.

These look like great read alouds. Thanks.