Menu

How about The Wizard of Oz and it's many sequels?

I'm going to second Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. He's got some others for younger readers that aren't Discworld--Nation comes to mind.

There are the Myth, Inc. books by Robert Asprin. They're sort of sci fi, sort of fantasy, but definitely humorous and wierd.

How about The Wizard of Oz and it's many sequels?

I'm going to second Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. He's got some others for younger readers that aren't Discworld--Nation comes to mind.

There are the Myth, Inc. books by Robert Asprin. They're sort of sci fi, sort of fantasy, but definitely humorous and wierd.

Humorous and weird is what I'm after, so I will definitely check those out.

I'll have to ask her about TWoO.

Ok...I am going to add these i here because my Alice loving dd loves them:

Anything Roald Dahl

Lemony Snickett!

The Percy Jackson Books (Lightning Thief)

Redwall series is great..

The 1rst 3 Wrinkle in Time books (hated the 4th!)

Orson Scott Card's Enders Game may be great in a year.

~~Faithe

I'm new, this is my first post and I LOVE this thread. So glad I found it! I have two 11 year old daughters and they are avid readers so I am taking note of a lot of the books recommended here.

My girls also loved the Maximum Ride series and I read them as well. Was only dissatisfied with one (The Final Warning).

They also love the Sisters Grimm series and are entrenched in the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Which I personally do not get but they definitely fit in the 'bizarre' category. (Cats who are warriors?) Redwall is also a favorite as well as anything Roald Dahl.

One of my favorites was Dragonrider by Cornelia Funke (author of Inkheart). I found it far more enjoyable than Inkheart even and the audio version read by Brendan Fraser is excellent!

I'm new, this is my first post and I LOVE this thread.

Welcome, Lisa! You've found a great site here.

Not bizarre exactly, but what about Charlotte Sometimes (Robert Smith's favourite book, IIRC)?

I read this a few years ago for my own pleasure. Of course, I'm a fan of time travel and time slip books thus my interest.

Regards,

Kareni

Not bizarre exactly, but what about Charlotte Sometimes (Robert Smith's favourite book, IIRC)? Be careful with editions... the NYRC edition is complete. Wonderful book.

DD loves Robert Smith, so there's a selling point. I was reading about this and wonder why they changed the book so drastically. Also, the NYRC seems to have quite a few books that look really interesting. I need to hunt down a list.

Ok...I am going to add these i here because my Alice loving dd loves them:

Anything Roald Dahl

Lemony Snickett!

The Percy Jackson Books (Lightning Thief)

Redwall series is great..

The 1rst 3 Wrinkle in Time books (hated the 4th!)

Orson Scott Card's Enders Game may be great in a year.

~~Faithe

Thanks for reminding me about Ender's Game. I'd forgotten about that one.

I'm new, this is my first post and I LOVE this thread. So glad I found it! I have two 11 year old daughters and they are avid readers so I am taking note of a lot of the books recommended here.

My girls also loved the Maximum Ride series and I read them as well. Was only dissatisfied with one (The Final Warning).

They also love the Sisters Grimm series and are entrenched in the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Which I personally do not get but they definitely fit in the 'bizarre' category. (Cats who are warriors?) Redwall is also a favorite as well as anything Roald Dahl.

One of my favorites was Dragonrider by Cornelia Funke (author of Inkheart). I found it far more enjoyable than Inkheart even and the audio version read by Brendan Fraser is excellent!

I did not know that Brendan Fraser did an audiobook. I need to see if our library has it. I think Warriors was the only thing not on my list. Thanks.

My daughter's favorite author, right now, is Eva Ibbotson. She says her books are fun and goofy... I think she likes the Secret of Platform 13 best, but says they're all great. I read some of her teenaged books too and like them, though they aren't particularly bizarre.