Menu

Homeschoolers adjusting to a classroom

I had an interesting conversation with my sil, the principal of a very small, Christian school. She says it takes them 9 weeks to teach previously homeschooled children classroom behavior. Many of her students were homeschooled prior to coming to her school, and she was mainly speaking of older elementary students.

Obviously I don't have any direct experience with this and am probably biased, but I find it hard to believe that it takes 9 weeks for a student to learn how to act in a classroom. The most natural thing for someone to do in a new situation is to look around, see how others are behaving and follow suit. I can see where they might need a few corrections (ask before you leave your seat, raise your hand, deadlines), but just being part of the class would encourage that behavior. I had a dd go to public high school; she had no problem except with the combination lock. ;) She felt it was just obvious how you act; you read about schools in books, see classrooms on TV. So unless a child lived in a total vacuum, they're not walking into a classroom totally blind.

So, is my sil correct? Nine weeks to learn how to act in the classroom?

I think your SIL is making that nonsense up. I've hs'd 3 and they NEVER needed an 'adjustment' time for classroom situations. Nor have I observed that other homeschoolers need to 'adjust'. They very quickly adapt to what is expected. What I have observed is chaos if the teacher doesn't have a firm grasp of 'crowd control' and all the natives get restless. Sounds like you need to give SIL a reality check!

Seriously...apparently SIL thinks there is some kind of 'learning curve' to sitting in a classroom. Maybe they should offer that as a separate course. "Classroom sitting".

Not true for my ds. He went to ps for first time this year.

I met with his mentor teacher who said he fit right in socially from day one and he has done fantastic academically.

He is at a brand new charter school where 1/3 of the students came from a hs environment so maybe that had something to do with it. Two of his best friends at school were hs through 6th grade also.

Edited by Ferdie

I would think it would take some time (3 weeks? 9? A year?) to adjust to public school after years of hsing. I am not sure I see this as an insult, unless it was meant to be an insult.

It's also true many people start hsing not from the beginning, but because their children can't handle school' perhaps are ADHD, have learning issues, or are otherwise unable to fit into the mold of a school. Sometimes these kids go back when their parents are at a breaking point, and still have a devil of time fitting into the mold of a school. The teachers then have to figure out what to do with these children who might never have gotten the therapies or interventions that might have helped.

I do think it is offensive to assume that hsers will learn bad behavior from children who go to school, esp given how many people on this board have a mix of hsers and children in school who are doing well, and doing what is right for their particular situation and children.

Is denigrating school children any worse than the baby mommy wars? "You can't bond with a bottle fed baby! Bottle fed babies are always sick ! They have no immune systems! Why have a baby at all if you won't even feed him yourself?! "

"Why have a child if you are only going to put her in an institution to be raised with a bunch of hellions with guns and condoms in their pockets?!"

It's the exact same thing.

Edited by LibraryLover

I think it depends a lot on the homeschooler. Go on a homeschool field trip, and you will see what I mean. Some are good about raising hands, taking turns, listening to directions, and being aware of the needs of a group setting, and some... well, they would have a hard time adjusting. I have taught numerous co-op and other classes. Some homeschoolers do fine and some do not do well with a class setting (deadlines, definite expectations, others' needs, etc.) I expect that not all public school students do well in a class setting, though, either. ;)

My dc have had a lot of "classroom" experiences (art, co-ops, etc.) and would have no trouble adapting.

Other than typical problems with her locker and the combination my dd adjusted pretty quickly to the PS setting (she attended PS for grades 6-9)... she WAS a bit overly anxious until the end of the first grading period... by then she had 'figured' out the teacher's expectations and who NOT to hang around with!

That wasn't my dd's experience and the teacher would agree with me on that.

I can't imagine that a kid that would adjust would take 9 weeks.

I think school people blame homeschooling for every issue that comes up when fact is that some kids are a little behind. Some kids are less social. Some kids don't acclimate to school. Some kids don't like some teachers. These things are the case for schooled kids too.

I think it depends a lot on the homeschooler. Go on a homeschool field trip, and you will see what I mean. Some are good about raising hands, taking turns, listening to directions, and being aware of the needs of a group setting, and some... well, they would have a hard time adjusting. I have taught numerous co-op and other classes. Some homeschoolers do fine and some do not do well with a class setting (deadlines, definite expectations, others' needs, etc.) I expect that not all public school students do well in a class setting, though, either. ;)

My dc have had a lot of "classroom" experiences (art, co-ops, etc.) and would have no trouble adapting.

Oh, god. Sometimes I wonder about the behavior of some kids in my hs coop. lol Our parents range from 'stay near me and be calm' to "Oh, look! A really long art gallery hall perfect for running, with good acoustics for echoes, have at it". Docents have plenty of stories to tell about hsing groups, as well as school groups, I am sure. ;) I might be exaggerating only a little. :001_smile:

I know what you mean on both counts. Just IMO, I'd say the kids I've had the most trouble managing in a group setting were ps kids...

I do think it is offensive to assume that hsers will learn bad behavior from children who go to school, esp given how many people on this board have a mix of hsers and children in school who are doing well, and doing what is right for their particular situation and children.

Is denigrating school children any worse than the baby mommy wars? "You can't bond with a bottle fed baby! Bottle fed babies are always sick ! They have no immune systems! Why have a baby at all if you won't even feed him yourself?! "

"Why have a child if you are only going to put her in an institution to be raised with a bunch of hellions with guns and condoms in their pockets?!"

It's the exact same thing.

I commented above. Yes and No about the assumed 'bad behavior'. There seems to be a distinct 'group mentality' when people do something (learning, sports, working) with a significant number of other people. I have work in both large and small businesses, it seems as if employees in a large firm have a different culture than in a small ones. This can be bad or good or neutral depending on the specific person and group.

In my personal observation (not a scientific fact :lol:) teen personalities are particularly susceptible to this. Again depending on the teen sometimes this is good or bad for them.

It doen't take nine weeks to learn classroom skills, but it might take that long to join the 'group think'.

I can see some behaviours being easy to pick up--how to stand in line, raise your hand, ask to get up, etc. Some other things, like working with distractions, waiting to ask a question, and meet a deadline might be harder to adjust to. I think it would depend if they had experience with these at home--some kids do, some don't. It often depends on factors like family size, method of schooling, and whether there are younger sibs around!

Dd didn't have much trouble last year with the basics, but there were times she was heartily sick of the boys in her classroom being such noisy, jerky kids...her words, not mine! She had to learn to negotiate the playground and deal with a kid who was a know-it-all--but even with that, it didn't take a long time.

Any time I hear of a generality applied to homeschoolers, I just say, "Here we go again." Why don't people realize how diverse this group is?

I wonder if emotional adjustment wouldn't take longer. Most older kids are going to try and go with the flow on the outside. They might have more adjustments to make on the inside.

I wouldn't like to think a child could simply walk away from years of hsing *justlikethat*. What about the deep bonds that form in hsing families?

I just don't think my hsers would be able to seemlessly slip into lock-step mode without a good period of adjustment.

If some say it takes a month per year of schooling to deschool, why wouldn't we allow children some space & respect to dehomeschool.

Adjustment isn't a bad thing. It just is.

That wasn't my dd's experience and the teacher would agree with me on that.

I can't imagine that a kid that would adjust would take 9 weeks.

I think school people blame homeschooling for every issue that comes up when fact is that some kids are a little behind. Some kids are less social. Some kids don't acclimate to school. Some kids don't like some teachers. These things are the case for schooled kids too.

I would have to ask what what you mean by group Think. Finding other members of the Glee Club? Clicking with the Debate Team? Finding school newspaper journalists and other rabble rousers? Finally coming out of the closet with your theatre friends? Going to a pep rally and cheering on the school basketball team?

What is 'group think' here? Are the Baby Wars part of 'group think'. Is wearing nearly matching denim jumpers at the hsing conference group think? Are hsers less or more susceptible to group think?

I commented above. Yes and No about the assumed 'bad behavior'. There seems to be a distinct 'group mentality' when people do something (learning, sports, working) with a significant number of other people. I have work in both large and small businesses, it seems as if employees in a large firm have a different culture than in a small ones. This can be bad or good or neutral depending on the specific person and group.

In my personal observation (not a scientific fact :lol:) teen personalities are particularly susceptible to this. Again depending on the teen sometimes this is good or bad for them.

It doen't take nine weeks to learn classroom skills, but it might take that long to join the 'group think'.

I think it depends on other factors: previous experience and personality being the main ones. My brother and I switched into traditional schools at 7th and 9th grades (the same year). It took me about a day and a half. ;) My brother adjusted quickly as well. We did *both* have some on-going issues with not accepting "stupid" rules very well. ;) I tended to express my frustration in more socially and bureaucratically acceptable ways. But we did both have a bit of a non-conformist streak. (Um. Nine weeks didn't cure that though!) I found it easier to learn to do things like take notes, plan for upcoming assignments, keep my work together... My brother found that *extremely* challenging, though I think that was related more closely to his ADD than to having been home schooled previously.

But I think *some* home schoolers do struggle with the transition. On a variety of levels. Nine weeks sounds pretty arbitrary to me though...

I don't know where the 9 week time frame came from... I also do not know who came up the 'deschool one month per year in school' number, either. I am guessing neither was formed through easily replicated controlled studies.

Maybe 9 months is an average, maybe its totally bogus. Maybe it's an experience this teacher has legitimately had.

But adjustment times vary for individuals, so i am not worried about this particular number.

I do know my family, and I do know it would take some time to adjust. I could see one child able to do it more quickly than another. I have one who might need 9 weeks. Maybe far more. Perhaps some areas would be easier to adjust to and some areas more difficult. And, yk? So? My job would be to support, whatever the time period.

I wouldn't see any period of adjustment as a negative. If you've been a hser all your life, or for years and years, why would there be any expectation that one only need a day or a minute to 'adjust'. What constitutes adjustment, anyway?

I think it depends on other factors: previous experience and personality being the main ones. My brother and I switched into traditional schools at 7th and 9th grades (the same year). It took me about a day and a half. ;) My brother adjusted quickly as well. We did *both* have some on-going issues with not accepting "stupid" rules very well. ;) I tended to express my frustration in more socially and bureaucratically acceptable ways. But we did both have a bit of a non-conformist streak. (Um. Nine weeks didn't cure that though!) I found it easier to learn to do things like take notes, plan for upcoming assignments, keep my work together... My brother found that *extremely* challenging, though I think that was related more closely to his ADD than to having been home schooled previously.

But I think *some* home schoolers do struggle with the transition. On a variety of levels. Nine weeks sounds pretty arbitrary to me though...

I think it depends a lot on the homeschooler. Go on a homeschool field trip, and you will see what I mean. Some are good about raising hands, taking turns, listening to directions, and being aware of the needs of a group setting, and some... well, they would have a hard time adjusting. I have taught numerous co-op and other classes. Some homeschoolers do fine and some do not do well with a class setting (deadlines, definite expectations, others' needs, etc.) I expect that not all public school students do well in a class setting, though, either.

:iagree: I don't necessarily think it's an insult for someone to say there is an adjustment period for previously hs'ed students to adapt to classroom. (Not that the person meant for it to be.) I expect that it will be an adjustment when dd goes to high school. Her time has never been so rigidly prescribed; how and what she studies has previously been more collaborative; she's not used to continuously being assessed and she has had a more pleasant experience of peers and friends so far. She's never had to change in a gym class, use a locker, secure a lunch table and ignore public displays of...err...affection. She hasn't been around people who shun you because you don't buy your jeans at Lucky or because you don't live in a particular neighborhood. Those will all be adjustments. I expect to prepare her that there will be adjustments to make, but in the end, she'll have to face and master them.

At least she gets to make them when she is 14, rather than 5.

My guess is that for some hs students their is an adjustment and for others, not so much. As another poster mentioned ... difficult to lump all hs students together, just as it is unfair to lump all ps students together. These are individual children, coming from diverse backgrounds. I only wish ps administrators would understand this idea. No one type of hs student, just as there is no one type of ps student.

This comment was made in a negative light about homeschoolers, so immediately it put me on the defensive. She was also speaking about outward behavior (raising hands, asking to get up from your desk, standing in line), not interior emotional adjustments. I seriously do not believe it takes 9 weeks to learn to raise your hand and stand in line, but I've never been on the other end. I do agree it could take some time to adjust emotionally to school.

My dd, who went to public hs, adjusted easily to the classroom. This was high school so being older probably played into that. However, on the emotional side, she never quite adjusted, but no one knew that except her family. We were her sounding board. She could not get use to the 'drama' that was constantly going on around - girls crying because the right boy didn't ask them out, fights, someone being left - that type of thing. In her honors English class she felt like the students were afraid of saying the wrong thing so often there weren't interesting, deep discussions that she would have liked. She, not being afraid of not pleasing the teacher, would often be the one to present a different side and start a conversation. That teacher even told her dad and I how much she enjoyed our dd. This is a girl that definitely marches to her own drummer, and I realize this developed more because she was homeschooled. She ended up leaving high school early and starting college. She loves college and finds it totally different than high school.

I have seen those unruly homeschooled children on field trips, but honestly, from my experience, it's not the norm. They really stand out because usually the homeschoolers are very well behaved. I've been doing this for 14 years now, so I think I've seen a fair sampling. But what do I know?

Edited by Ishki
typo

....why we stopped attending homeschool group activities YEARS ago! ;)

I think YOU are right: my ds sat in on a full day of 5th grade last spring before going to school for thr first time this fall. When I picked him up that day the teacher told me that he fit right in and it was as if he'd been there from day 1. This is a small, Catholic school.

I find it hard to believe that it takes 9 weeks for a student to learn how to act in a classroom. The most natural thing for someone to do in a new situation is to look around, see how others are behaving and follow suit. I can see where they might need a few corrections (ask before you leave your seat, raise your hand, deadlines), but just being part of the class would encourage that behavior. I had a dd go to public high school; she had no problem except with the combination lock. ;) She felt it was just obvious how you act; you read about schools in books, see classrooms on TV. So unless a child lived in a total vacuum, they're not walking into a classroom totally blind.

I think it depends a lot on the homeschooler.

Good point. My dc have had a lot of group learning experiences as homeschoolers, too. Maybe that has some impact on how much time is needed to adapt to a classroom (none)?

Hi LibraryLover

The following statements are my opinion and do not reflect any rigorous scientific analysis. :001_smile: I hope it all makes sense. I am trying to formulate an internal thought into a written passage. Please accept my basic good will. There no offense meant to public schoolers, home schoolers, teenagers, etc.

I would have to ask what what you mean by group Think. Finding other members of the Glee Club? Clicking with the Debate Team? Finding school newspaper journalists and other rabble rousers? Finally coming out of the closet with your theatre friends? Going to a pep rally and cheering on the school basketball team?

No, I'm not talking about finding like-minded friends or joining a self-selected group. I am talking about the times people are thrown long term into a group of people who are together by circumstance not deliberate selection.

For example, my behavior completing a group project with friends (perhaps planning a co-op activity) might be different than my behavior completing a group project at work. This might be good (i.e. more professional less chitter chatter) or bad (passive agressive 'sure lets try it his way').

There is also a 'culture' involved with any large group of people. One place I worked considered overtime work to be a sign of professional dedication (some people stayed late even if their work was all ready complete). One class I took in college NO ONE READ THE BOOK, it was considered kissing up to be prepared for class.

What is 'group think' here? Are the Baby Wars part of 'group think'.

For some people the 'hive mind' might be a type of 'group think', do you (general you) find yourself answering differently here than you would on another forum?

Is wearing nearly matching denim jumpers at the hsing conference group think? Are hsers less or more susceptible to group think?

Wearing matching denim jumpers is hysterically funny no matter where you are. :lol: HSers adult or child are not different than any other human being. In my opinion teens take group think (either 'I want to be different' or 'I want to be like everyone else') to higher extremes than adults because their personalities are still developing.

Any of these situations can be positive in shaping behaviors or negative in reducing individuality, or a mix.

I mean this respectfully.

I would say, so what?

Let's say she's just plain old right.

What difference does it make? Of course a child is going to need some adjustment time. So? How do they do by the end of the year? How do they do on standardized tests? Are they happy, interesting, educated to the appropriate level, good people?

Remember the whole "deschooling takes as a week (month, year??) for every year spent in school" that home schoolers will spout off when children are removed from public/private school? This is the same assertion just flipped around. Well surely, learning to be in a classroom is going to take some adjustment time too.

This isn't a valid argument against home schooling because in the *long run* it just doesn't matter.

Does your sil think this is evidence of home schoolers inferiority? Do you think it is? If so, why? Or, as we say in the debate world, what's the impact?

I will add one more thing. The point is they *DO* adjust.

I mean this respectfully.

I would say, so what?

Let's say she's just plain old right.

What difference does it make? Of course a child is going to need some adjustment time. So? How do they do by the end of the year? How do they do on standardized tests? Are they happy, interesting, educated to the appropriate level, good people?

Remember the whole "deschooling takes as a week (month, year??) for every year spent in school" that home schoolers will spout off when children are removed from public/private school? This is the same assertion just flipped around. Well surely, learning to be in a classroom is going to take some adjustment time too.

This isn't a valid argument against home schooling because in the *long run* it just doesn't matter.

Does your sil think this is evidence of home schoolers inferiority? Do you think it is? If so, why? Or, as we say in the debate world, what's the impact?

I will add one more thing. The point is they *DO* adjust.

Ah, common sense. My sil has some serious issues with homeschooling, and since she has become principal of this school (she just fell into the job - she's never taught nor been in school administration), she doesn't miss a chance to point out how homeschoolers have issues. For the most part it goes in one ear and out the other, but this time she was so sure of herself. Stated it as absolute fact: takes 9 weeks to adjust and the classroom teacher has to deal with that. So while I'm sure it does take some adjustment, I wondered what others thought on this issues.

I suppose the impact, from her perspective, would be that it takes teaching time away from the teacher while she has to deal with these homeschoolers. Does it impact me? No, because I know they do adjust.

My oldest started PS in the middle of 3rd grade. She was fine with classroom behaviors, she had been in plenty of group settings before. The only thing that took some getting used to was the fact that she had to remember to bring her homework home (she would bring her agenda but would forget the books), and the biggie was the handwriting speed, that took a while for her to catch up and not skip half of a sentence because she couldn't keep up during spelling for example.

First, please know I'm trying to help you respond to your sil.

I suppose the impact, from her perspective, would be that it takes teaching time away from the teacher while she has to deal with these homeschoolers.

I think this is funny. We are talking about *elementary* school. And these students are no longer "home schoolers" they are now "public/private schoolers". Teachers are supposed to teach all kinds of things, including getting along in a classroom and organizational skills.

Again, so what if the teacher has to do her job and *teach* a child to manage better. That is the JOB of a teacher. Some teachers deal with kids on drugs, kids in gangs, kids from varying family situations, and ALL teachers have to deal with the variety of people in their classrooms.

Children are in school to learn. Teachers are there to teach. Sounds like that's what's happening in sil's school. Well done to all involved. :D

And another thing....

Classroom teachers are just used to the nonsense they have to manage with life time classroom kids. They don't consider it because it's "normal" distraction to them.

Having to deal with kids new to the classroom might not present the "normal" challenges, but then again, the new classroom kids might not have the "normal" distracting behavior of their peers.

Whereas a former home schooled kid might distract because he's not following the group, a classroom lifer might be busy perfecting the art of note passing or some other negative distracting classroom behavior. Both behaviors must be managed, but one the teacher has seen a million times before and the other is new. The teacher doesn't really have to work harder, just adjust techniques to discipline and guide the new student.

This may present a unique opportunity for a teacher to learn something new herself. I would think a teacher would enjoy that....

And I will say, in your sil's defense, (because she needs help here, imo), my son took a looonnngggg time to get in the groove of warming up with the team before any sporting activity.

The other kids would be push up-ping and he would be jumping jack-ing. His teammates would say, "Come on, J, we're supposed to be doing push ups!" Ds would protest and say that what *he* really needed to work on were his jumping jacks.....:001_huh:

I was kind of proud and mortified at the same time.

He's a team man now, but it took awhile. :D

I believe her when she says that it takes awhile for a homeschooling child to adjust. Any child from a different culture would take some dealing with. It doesn't include all homeschoolers, of course. My oldest homeschooled for 7th and 8th and went back to ps in 9th and his teachers didn't know he was homeschooled. He watched a never-been-to-school homeschooler struggle for the whole first year, though, because she had no idea how to be invisible. First she had to figure out that she needed to be invisible, then she had to figure out how to become invisible, and then she had to do it. This required a complete exterior makeover from behavior to clothes. My son felt very sorry for her but said that by the end of the year, she had figured it out, and would have been fine the second year if her parents hadn't pulled her out and sent her to a different school. He felt that was a major mistake because she was going to have to go through the whole process of becoming invisible again. I can't even begin to comment on this situation.

-Nan

Last year was the first year of the ps enrichment school that my dd attends. We had a great meeting with the principle and lead teacher at the end of the first semester. One of the topics was how the children were adjusting to the routine of school. From a group of 60 homeschooled kids from K-5, the main problem was that the kids as a whole were terrible about forming lines and walking in straight lines. The teachers enjoyed watching the kids start out in a straight line then graually get in to just a huddle walking or skipping down the halls. Another big "problem" was with kids at lunch, most had never had milk from a single-serve carton before so the teachers had to help them open their milks. The other problems centered around learning that they needed to go to bathroom before class or during breaks and learning to wait to be called on in class instead of excitedly telling everything they know when it first occurs to them.

Another thing the teachers commented on was that everytime they had a field trip, the host always complimented the kids because the group as a whole was the best behaved group of school kids they had every seen - quiet, polite, thoughtful and inquisitive.

You do make me smile, Denise. :)

Hi LibraryLover

The following statements are my opinion and do not reflect any rigorous scientific analysis. :001_smile: I hope it all makes sense. I am trying to formulate an internal thought into a written passage. Please accept my basic good will. There no offense meant to public schoolers, home schoolers, teenagers, etc.

I don't know what was meant exactly by the comment in the OP, but I would like to share an observation I have made teaching in a 2 day/week homeschool tutorial. First of all, the children are really polite, kind and well-behaved. I have noticed that it does not seem as if they listen quite as attentively to classroom instructions as do children who are used to learning exclusively in a classroom environment. I certainly don't think they do it intentionally, but I don't think most of them have caught onto the same urgency of that schoolers have of "I should listen very carefully to what the teachers says because she might say something that I need to know to complete an assignment or to do well on a test." In other words, it is not that they aren't as good at listening, but just that a home environment where learning is going on a lot of the time and the teacher is always available has not created that same sense of panic, for lack of a better word. Not that panic is a good thing, but I do have to be extra intentional with them about saying "Listen up! This is important and if you don't hear it now, you may not hear it again." I don't know if that makes sense. It is kind of hard to explain and I am sure not something many people would notice, unless you had the experience of teaching both like I have.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

She doesn't miss a chance to point out how homeschoolers have issues. For the most part it goes in one ear and out the other, but this time she was so sure of herself.

Publicly schooled children have issues too. :001_huh: Private school kids have issues. :001_huh: Homeschooled children have issues. :001_huh: As others have said, so what.

My ds was in private school for prek and K. He had an adjustment period when we started homeschooling, it sure wasn't nine weeks. He got used to sitting on the table for school, going to the bathroom without a pass, eating during school, going without shoes during the day, going out in public during the day (*gasp*).

Okay, thinking about it, he would need an adjustment period if he ever returned to a traditional classroom. I think his biggest challenge would be wearing shoes and socks all day. :lol: