Menu

What will you have finished by the end of first grade?

Caraway

He will have finished

Explode the Code 3

Singapore 1B

Write About Me--maybe Write about my World

learning Cursive (Although his handwriting is so-so)

studying Geography with his older brothers (he's not really retaining this--I'm hoping he can recognize the continents and oceans on the globe and remembers SOME about the environments and people we are studying)

Some Earth Science

Also, lots of little books read with mom! (I don't really do a reading program)

We will have finished: (drumroll)

CLE Reading 1

CLE Language Arts 100 series

Horizons Math 1

Sonlight Core 1+2 Read-Alouds and History

Map Skills 1st Grade

BJU Spelling 1st Grade

Handwriting without Tears Printing Power

Writing with Ease 1

Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day

Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day

Mind Benders: Beginners Book 2 (1st grader is addicted to this book)

BJU:

Bible 1

Reading 1

English & Phonics 1

Spelling 1

Math 1

Science 1 (already done)

Heritage Studies 1

The Greek Alphabet Code Cracker

Unit Studies:

Johnny Appleseed

Apollo 11

*Biomes

Mammals

Halloween

Thanksgiving

*Invertebrates/Vertebrates

Christmas

*Amphibians/Reptiles

*Dinosaurs

*Done through the local Children's Science Center

Hi! :D

By the end of first grade we will have finished...

Right Start Level B and half way through C

FLL through the First Grade section

OPGTR...not sure on this. We have kind of hit a road block with the long vowel sounds. No worries though. He'll get it eventually.

NOEO Chemistry I...but only because he is working through this with his older brother and *I* have the motivation of doing the experiments with another family.

ETC book 1 1/2 and *maybe* 2

History...we started with the Colonial times and hope to get through the Revolutionary War then start on Pioneers. I am really in no hurry though. We are having a good time with this.

Headsprout.com lessons 1-80

I'd like to add this is the first year I have not been concerned with getting things done or getting through a certain lesson and I have seen a difference in the attitudes of my boys AND me. Our school year had been more relaxed, fun and lively. Things are getting done. Learning is taking place. We are having a good time. Now, this doesn't mean they have it "easy". They are very much being challenged...daily.

Anyhow...try not to stress about it. Work on the "basics" and enjoy your time with him. :001_smile:

PS...we have missed you at park day! Hope to see you this Friday. :D

My 1st grader has already finished or will have completed by June:

• ETC through book 6 (and now she's done with it)
  • (100 EZL finished last year)
  • ZB Handwriting through 3 (and now she's done with it)
  • Pathway Readers through Gr 2 (and now she's done with them)
  • Spelling WorkOut B and probably half of C
  • Sonlight Core 1 with 2-Intermediate Readers
  • Miquon Orange, Red, Blue, and Green (Orange was done last year)
  • Singapore Math 2B completed already. 3A + some of 3B will most likely be completed by June
  • Rosetta Stone Spanish -- probably will be through Unit 4 or so by June
  • Science in a Nutshell Liquids kit and various other science -- mostly lots of Let's Read and Find Out books
  • Suzuki Violin Book 2 graduation soon

We will have finished:

Italics Handwriting Book C

Language Lessons (includes copywork, dictation, writing, grammar, etc.)

Singapore 2A

L'Art de lire Level 1

Code Cracker Greek

Art (Picture Study, Sculpture, Piano theory, composers, drawing, watercolors)

Tons of books for Literature, Poetry, History & Geography

Botany & Nature Study with big sister

Thanks for sharing your first grade details! It is really helpful!

I'd like to add this is the first year I have not been concerned with getting things done or getting through a certain lesson and I have seen a difference in the attitudes of my boys AND me. Our school year had been more relaxed, fun and lively. Things are getting done. Learning is taking place. We are having a good time. Now, this doesn't mean they have it "easy". They are very much being challenged...daily.

Anyhow...try not to stress about it. Work on the "basics" and enjoy your time with him. :001_smile:

PS...we have missed you at park day! Hope to see you this Friday. :D

So how are you making sure that stuff gets done? Do you have a particular daily schedule? We get so relaxed around here that we fail to get anything done! I have to find a balance, where it is still enjoyable, but I don't have a 5th grader on OPGTR lesson 75. :001_huh:

(PS. We were at Park Day on Friday! We were sorry to have missed you!)

Thanks for sharing your first grade details! It is really helpful!

So how are you making sure that stuff gets done? Do you have a particular daily schedule? We get so relaxed around here that we fail to get anything done! I have to find a balance, where it is still enjoyable, but I don't have a 5th grader on OPGTR lesson 75. :001_huh:

I know things are getting done when we get near the end of the book and go "oh, I guess I need to order the next level!"

We use Sonlight. We have the schedule laid out. I even have a planner (which I occasionally use). But in reality we just keep chugging along one book at a time and a few pages at a time. We are enjoying the journey without focusing on the finish line! I don't recommend this method unless you are very laid back and live in a state that is homeschool friendly! My daughter is very bright and is doing well in spite of me.:001_huh:

RightStart B

Just Write 2

Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 1

A Child's History of the World

about ninety picture book fairy & folk tales, myths & legends

a Hebrew alphabet primer

other stuff I can't remember without getting up to look

*sniff* I can't believe my baby's going to be done with first grade in spring.

I have everything on a chart and the kids have to check off a day's worth of stuff.

Rightstart Math level B

OPGR

Song School Latin

FLL 1 and 2

HWT 1st

SOW 1

Even Moore Beginning Geography, How to use a map, Land forms and bodies of water, Continents and oceans

Basic music theory (own concoction)

FLL 1&2

WTM Science suggestions for Gr 1

Several read-a-louds

Memory work - about 10 bible verses, ten commandments, Lords prayer, time tables 1-12, states and capitals, presidents and whatever else we feel like adding.

We will probably finish these and start the second thing listed. I started CLE 100 end of last year when he finished with K...it was very basic and review for him, but gave a nice head start. I have actually slowed down and given him extra time off here and there to not finish 1st too soon.

CLE Math 100 - Start 200

CLE LA 100 - Start 200 - MAYBE - probably wait until fall.

ETC - in book 5 now - will probably get through 6.

CLE Reading 100 - doing a lot of this orally and writing for him. Do very little of this -- maybe just once a week.

Pathway Readers - in the middle of the second one now - think we will do the next one also - only thing he LOVES to read!

God's Design Science - Heaven and Earth books with big brother.

Biblioplan Ancients with MOH and some SOTW - with big brothers - just coloring and listening.

He also has an art class once and week and I want to start piano in next few month.

Both will have done:

SL Core 1, with SOTW 1 and Ancient HP

Life Science using various materials

VE 1, FLL1/2?, WWE1

Singapore Math 2A, started EPGY so no idea on level

HWT Printing Book

unknown amount of AAS

Twin A:

SL 2Int Readers, MCP Level C Phonics

Twin B:

SL Readers 1, maybe 2A, unknown amount of HOP, ETC thru 6? It really depends on how quickly she moves ahead now that things seem to be clicking with reading.

We will be done with:

MATH: MUS Alpha and a good chunk of Beta, lots of Singapore 1B pages

SCIENCE: REAL Science Odyssey Life Science and most of E=mcq life science (we started E=mcq around December)

HISTORY: SOTW 1

GRAMMAR: FLL 1 and about 1/3 of 2

WRITING: HWT Kindergarten, first grade, and a book of sentences that HE wants to write (working up to dictation next year)

SPELLING: Spelling Workout A and most of B

"ELECTIVES:" Song School Latin, piano lessons, Cub Scouts, swimming lessons, some typing practice. All except Song School Latin will be continued next year... I think. Scouts is up for debate, but that's another post for another day.

My 1st grader dd will be finished with:

Singapore PM 2A

FLL 2

WWE 1

Spelling Workout B

ETC 6 1/2

Elson Reader 3

Queen's Pictures in Cursive, Book B

SOTW 1 and AG

REAL Sci Odyssey Life, Level 1

My Pals Are Here Sci, Diversity, Level 3-4 (w/big sis)

Pianimals, Book C and part of D

Karaoke for Kids

Ecoutez, Parlez, Book 3

Building Thinking Skills, Beginning

Lots of books from the library!

Edited by amsunshine
forgot a couple things...

We will have finished:

CLE LA 1

CLE Reading 1

CLE Math 1

CLE Science 1

CLE Social Studies 1

ETC Books 3, 4, and 1/2 of book 5

Phonics Pathways

HOD Little Hearts for His Glory (Bible, History, music, storytime only)

Pentime Books 1 (part 2) and 2

Thinking Skills Grade 1

Map Skills Grades 1 and 2

Hooked on French Yellow and Blue Levels

Co-op Art and Gymnastics classes. :)

We will have finished:

Singapore 1A and most of 1B

Miquon Orange

Galloping the Globe and 1/2 of Portraits of American Girlhood

Sing, Spell, Read, and Write 1st and 1/2 of LLATL Red

2/3 of Apologia Astronomy

K and part of Book A in A Reason for Handwriting

Lollipop logic

Speedy Spanish Primer and part of Passaporte al Espanol

Little Annie's Art book of Etiquette and manners (Art)

Lots of library books

Searching for Treasure Bible Study

Early Modern & Modern World History using Usborne as a spine

Science studies in health, chemistry, and physics

CLE LA 1

CLE Math 2 (at least 1st half)

BJU 1 Reading

CLE I Wonder Reading

Several Critical Thinking Company books

Co-Op Classes 18 weeks

Some artist and composer studies

What kind of loser am I? How about I say we probably won't have finished anything by the normal "end of school year" in May/early June.

Well, he probably will have finished HWT, but even that is the K level.

We just have to work at a slow methodical pace for him. Since he had ZERO, zip, nada interest in anything related to schoolwork prior to his K year, I basically spent K doing very basics, learning letters, etc. Spent last summer learning letter sounds, so now 1st is learning very basic reading.

Plus I changed curriculums late fall, so we didn't really start these things until mid-October.

We do school year round, with a week off here and there. So I don't really feel any pressure to be done with anything, as we don't normally end our school year until first week of July...and then start the next year a week or two later. So I tell myself that's almost seven months....we are fine....but this thread makes me doubt!!

What kind of loser am I? How about I say we probably won't have finished anything by the normal "end of school year" in May/early June.

We just have to work at a slow methodical pace for him. Since he had ZERO, zip, nada interest in anything related to schoolwork prior to his K year, I basically spent K doing very basics, learning letters, etc. Spent last summer learning letter sounds, so now 1st is learning very basic reading.

Plus I changed curriculums late fall, so we didn't really start these things until mid-October.

We do school year round, with a week off here and there. So I don't really feel any pressure to be done with anything, as we don't normally end our school year until first week of July...and then start the next year a week or two later. So I tell myself that's almost seven months....we are fine....but this thread makes me doubt!!

Don't stress! You have plenty of time! We school year-round too, and that really takes the stress off. If we don't finish something by the time we promote to the next grade, who cares? We just keep working on it till it's done. (Though, I admit, I am having dd double-up lessons on her CLE Math since we switched to it mid-year and I want her to finish 2nd grade math by the time she starts 3rd grade, if possible! But if not, it's not the end of the world).

I'd say your fine, my kids are just very strong willed and demanding...my DD4 sat and did 40+ pages of Get Set for the Code B today at his insistance. I finally stopped him because he didn't look so well, he was running a 103 degree fever! I really hadn't realized how far he had gone either...:lol:

My twin B started reading much later than her sisters, but now things are really beginning to click for her, so it will come. The best thing I did was not force anything, not to say I didn't stress it. ;)

Wow, I could feel guilty reading everyone's list.

We'll have finished some of Singapore, in different levels. Some of 1 and some of 2; he's more level 2, but trying to make sure we don't miss any mental math opportunities. All of CC's memory work, he's almost word perfect. Trying for the Geography, it's a particularly challenging year. He's learning "Cursive First" and his handwriting will be decent by the end of the year. He will be reading well, I think. He's reading pretty well now. His dad reads each night to him, and that's when he gets his Fables, Myths and other old stories.

:-)

Everybody's circumstances are different...

We finished a lot of stuff because:

a. We were basically homeless and had nothing better to do than study.

b. I dragged my kids through a massive review. I had pulled them out of public school and there were so many gaps that we had to basically "redo" a semester from ps.

I'm huge on mastery - especially in math. I refuse to push them through material until they master it.

We do have a set schedule:

7-7:30 Piano (various books)

7:30-8:00 Singing (Wee Sing America & memory work, both using SCM memory system)

Until it gets done-- DAILY:

Math (2 lessons of CLE 1, Ray's Arithmetic, MEP 1, in various combos)

WWE 1 or Pentime 3

CLE LA 1

CLE Reading 1 (this is new this week)

ONCE A WEEK:

Monday: CHOW with ds does Artpac 1 or other coloring or playing with Legos

Tuesday: Burgess Bird Book with bird coloring pages

Wednesday: Fairy Tales from Andrew Lang's Fairy Books

Thursday: American History (various read-alouds) and Map Skills 1

Friday: Beginner's Bible (finished), now Aesop's Fables

Ds also reads an hour or two every day from various books of our choosing. Now he's on a Thornton Burgess kick. A month ago it was the Boxcar Children series. He also likes to read the d'Aulaire books, Beatrix Potter, etc. He reads aloud to me from McGuffey readers almost every day, and we read poetry together. Any reading that doesn't get done during the day, I read to him at bedtime.

I hope this helps. I find that setting a schedule with check boxes TRULY helps me. We "school" from 7-12 most days, though some days are longer, some shorter. (We have a little one running around the house ;)) I fit in picture study at bedtime with the Come Look with Me series, and music appreciation over lunch with Classical Kids or just plain classical music. By then, I'm ready for a few minutes with NO WORDS:lol:

HTH.

You really should not compare yourself to others. Everyone has different circumstances. My 1st grade ds started asking to do school at 2 years old because I started homeschooling his big sister then. I only have the 2 kids, and my dd is very independent. They both accept that school work has to be done and do it.

my first grader will only have finished, these are the main things to get done daily:

WWE 1

Greek Alphabetarion ( he'll know the Greek alphabet very well)

Liberty Mathematics K ( and started Mastering Mathematics)

Biblioplan Ancient history (doing it with his big brother, just listening to the stories and narrating)

OPGTR (or Phonics Pathways, i'm thinking of switching, maybe to Elizabeth B's phonics program)

What God is like Devotions for little boys and girls

Edited by mama25angels

My 1st grader is my most motivated child so a lot.

Grapevine Old Testament Study

Learning where all Continents, Oceans and States are located

FLL 1 &2

WWE 1

OPG

AAS levels 1,2 and possibly 3

Many classic read alouds

HWT 1st and 2nd grade books

ETC 3,4 and 5

MUS Alpha

Math Mammoth 2nd grade

Apologia Astronomy

History Odyssey Ancients level 1

She is working through Rosetta Stone level 1

By June, Dot will have finished CLE Math, Language Arts, & Science 100, and most of the same subjects in the 200 level. Still have't found a French program for her, having serious commitment phobia on that one. She'll start CLE 300 in the fall, and actually will have finished the 100 level math & LA by the end of February. We're slowly going through SOTW 1, but I doubt we'll have finished it by the end of the year.

By July 1:

Singapore PM 1B--started on 2 A

ETC 1.5 started on 2

FLL--1 grade section and start on 2nd grade

History--going through Truthquest with family

Bible--daily bible lessons--we go through as we are led by God.

Science--nature study and Flying Creatures

Handwriting--Startwrite--excellent manuscript already.

Typing--starting in the next two weeks--3 lessons/wk

WWE--starting as soon as it gets here

Lots and lots of math drills.

Spelling words from ETC lessons

Lots of grade appropriate readers

Lots of life