Menu

What goes into your coffee

So i am completley a light and sweet (sugar) kinda girl. BUT now that im on a weight loss quest, i dont know what to do. i use fat free half and half, or skim milk, and sugar. but i need to cut back on my sugar to loose weight....but i also promised myself to never change my moring coffee cause i enjoy it SOOO much. so what else is good???

i dont like the taste of artificial sweetners...i tried :(

Fat Free Half and Half (cannot drink coffee without it - took awhile to develop a taste for the FF stuff, but I have). Weaned by using regular HnH mixed with low-fat, then progressed from there.

Nations form treaties in less time and with less planning than I switched from Regular to Fat-Free. :glare:

Truvia for sweetener.

Mariann

I feel your pain! I'm the girl that people ask, "want coffee with your creamer?"

In my quest to cut out sugar I decided I had to cut out coffee. I keep being promised that as I cut out sugar, I will have more energy and wake up refreshed. Let's just say I've had an easier time cutting out coffee than I have sugar, lol!

I'll be interested in hearing healthier alternatives for coffee....I miss it!

truvia ive never tried. does it have that sweet n low taste?

Nope -- I cannot stand that 'sweet n low' taste :ack2: -- I would drink it without sweetener or just use sugar if it tasted like that. Found this in the baking aisle of WF and now I am starting to see it advertised -- even DH likes it. :w00t:

Mariann

I measure.

1 tsp of sugar, 1 tbsp coffee mate, and a splash of milk.

When I was losing weight, I used some Splenda flavored sweeteners for coffee and milk (they come in tubes in a box, and I found them at Walmart next to the powdered coffee creamers).

After I lost weight, I cut out artificial sweeteners.

I use reg half and half because the FF stuff has high fructose corn syrup added and I don't want that. But, then I use Splenda. :confused: I swear I can't keep up with what I am supposed to eat half the time. Mostly I guess I would rather have the Splenda than the carbs from HFCS and sugar.

During the holidays we splurge on a few flavored creamers and I love the one called Vanilla Spice Rum. Yummmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Well, I drink my coffee black. But dh was one of those who liked a couple of spoonsful of sugar in his. With his diabetes diagnosis he switched to no sugar, just half and half. Real, full fat half and half. He says he can now taste how sweet half and half really is.

Cinder

How much sugar are you putting in your coffee, and how many cups are you drinking in a day?

If you're only drinking one cup with a teaspoon or so of sugar, I would probably just not worry about it if it's something you really enjoy.

A teaspoon of sugar is about 4-6 grams, depending on if it's flat or rounded off. Each gram of sugar has 4 calories. In reality, we're talking about a pretty minor part of your diet unless you're drinking it all day.

ETA: I would definitely take that amount of sugar over an artificial sweetener.

Edited by Annie

My favorite: 2 teaspoons of unrefined sugar, a teeny bit of french vanilla flavoring, plus about 1/4-almost 1/3 cup of raw, heavy cream. (Yes--I put a LOT of cream in there.)

It is my dessert! lol. Really, I don't eat many desserts; my coffee is it: rich and luxurious (did I spell that right? :lol:) I just ran out of my unrefined sugar--gotta get some more...

I use fat free half&half and stevia. Stevia is not an artificial sweetener, it is made from a plant - but it has 0 glycemic index. Yay.

It does not taste exactly like sugar; some people find it has a licoricy taste. I like it. The artifical sweeteners taste to me like I'm drinking chemical soup; stevia doesn't taste that way to me at all - now that I've been using it a while, it just tastes "normal".

It is marketed under the brand names SweetLeaf, NuNaturals, and Truvia. I personally like SweetLeaf, but I've heard others say NuNaturals has less of an "aftertaste", and Truvia is the one that's currently marketing the heck out of itself. You may have to look for the "older" brands of Stevia in the herbal supplements aisle, as until recently it wasn't allowed to be sold as a sweetener, just an herbal supplement that happened to be sweet. You can try out different brands to see if you like one better than the other.

For my coffee, I've recently been using the liquids from SweetLeaf that have an additional flavor like Chocolate, Peppermint or French Vanilla. For my Phase 1 South Beach "dessert", I've been mixing some Greek Yogurt with a bit of Raspberry/Chocolate stevia - I found that flavor to sweet/strong for my coffee, but as a desserty addition, it's great.

SweetLeaf also sells "tabs" that self-dissolve in hot liquids and are easy to pop in my purse. They can be hard to find in the store, but they sell them online as well. You can also bake with stevia.

The artificial sweetener packets are equal to TWO teaspoons of sugar. Try using one packet (Splenda or similar off brand) for 2-3 cups instead of dumping it all into one.

I drink 2 or 3 6 oz. mugs of coffee in the morning (2/3 of it is decaf) and put 1/2 packet of Splenda and 1 TBS soy creamer (or if I'm feeling indulgent, a generous splash of Silk Very Vanilla Soymilk) into it.

If you only drink a little and can cut back gradually though, I'd stick with real sugar. I only use Splenda because I got used to it when I was low-carbing. Now I get a sour aftertaste in my mouth from real sugar in my coffee.

I adore my morning coffee. I even have a pair of biking socks that say, "A morning without coffee is like sleep."

Right now we're brewing Starbucks Sumatra, but we also like Gold Coast, Italian Roast, French and Christmas.

I add about 3 TBSP of half and half and two TSP of raw sugar. Mmmmmmmm. I'm enjoying it right now in fact...

WOOT for coffee :)

Honestly...I was (yes was) on weight watchers (loved it but just can't seem to get myself motivated again) and that was one thing I did NOT skimp on when counting my points. Coffee was a given, even if I had to half my dessert or eat less bites at lunch. I won't go without coffee! :)

I don't know if this helps but it's my 2 cents!:D

Nope -- I cannot stand that 'sweet n low' taste :ack2: -- I would drink it without sweetener or just use sugar if it tasted like that. Found this in the baking aisle of WF and now I am starting to see it advertised -- even DH likes it. :w00t:

Mariann

:iagree::iagree: Here is a coupon for $1 off. I think there is a two coupon limit (per computer printer;). I printed two at my mom's and two at my mil's so that I could stock up on it- We like it that much :001_smile:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/free-money-saving-coupons/package/index.html?pid=13475&zid=fs64&nid=10&cid=14623128&bid=ConcKwd_1142&cvl=0.1|AAAAAA

Mariann

Are there any "weird" side effects to Truvia (stomach-related...trying to be ahem, discreet)... :lol: