Menu

"Lose" vs. "loose"

I'm wondering if I'm using these words incorrectly, since I've seen more posts than I can count over the past few months in which the posters were using them differently than I thought was correct. So, I'm really not trying to be grammar police here; I'm trying to figure out which is correct.

I use "lose" to mean one no longer has something that one previously had. The past tense would be "lost".

I use "loose" to mean "not tight".

Is this right? Or can you use "loose" as the present tense of "lost"? Could it be the British spelling?

I'm wondering if I'm using these words incorrectly, since I've seen more posts than I can count over the past few months in which the posters were using them differently than I thought was correct. So, I'm really not trying to be grammar police here; I'm trying to figure out which is correct.

I use "lose" to mean one no longer has something that one previously had. The past tense would be "lost".

Is this right? Or can you use "loose" as the present tense of "lost"? Could it be the British spelling?

YOU ARE CORRECT!!!! don't be confused by others' inability to spell correctly or use proper grammar.

Using loose instead of lose is a common error. People refer to loosing weight or loosing library books all the time. I think people spell it incorrectly more often than not, but it's a pet peeve so I'm more likely to notice it.

Yeah, I never understand why it is such a common error. Lose and loose aren't even pronounced the same!

When people say they are "loosing" weight, I always picture them just shaking it off. Now wouldn't that be nice? :tongue_smilie:

This would be FABULOUS!!!

Yes, you are using them correctly... this is one of my pet peeves too (along with there/their/they're and your/you're). :D

I always wonder if I should let people know when they are using words incorrectly here. Since we are all homeschooling moms, wouldn't we be helping each other out? I would want to know. But I'm afraid of hurting someon'e feelings. I have homeschool mom friends IRL who are incredibly sensitive about things like that. So I never say anything.

My new pet peeve is the misuse of the verb suppose. People use the word suppose when they need to use the word should.

"We are suppose to bring cookies." :glare:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Where, and how, exactly does the word 'should' fit into your sentence? I'm trying to come up with ways.......

"We should bring cookies" is the best I see, and I'm not sure the meaning/usage is the same. Is it?

I agree that the sentence is incorrect, but it could be easily corrected by simply adding the -ed ending to the word 'suppose':

"We are supposed to bring cookies."

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Where, and how, exactly does the word 'should' fit into your sentence? I'm trying to come up with ways.......

"We should bring cookies" is the best I see, and I'm not sure the meaning/usage is the same. Is it?

I agree that the sentence is incorrect, but it could be easily corrected by simply adding the -ed ending to the word 'suppose':

That's what I was thinking. Just add "ed" to it.

As for lose and loose, a teacher once told me that if it has two "o"'s then it would fit less snug than the other, therefore, it would be loose.

Same for dessert and desert. We'd want two helpings of dessert, therefore, it has two "s"'s in it.

Don't go with what you've read on people's blogs or whatever; there's a lot of incorrect usage out there. I'm with Mrs Mungo on the use of apostrophes (not to be confused with apostrophe's) for plurals. And then there's the whole "myself" issue, which I can't stand.

If your horse is loose, you're going to lose it.

:lol:

Yes, you are using them correctly... this is one of my pet peeves too (along with there/their/they're and your/you're). :D

Also, sail/sell/sale... I see those misused a lot.

I always wonder if I should let people know when they are using words incorrectly here. Since we are all homeschooling moms, wouldn't we be helping each other out? I would want to know. But I'm afraid of hurting someon'e feelings. I have homeschool mom friends IRL who are incredibly sensitive about things like that. So I never say anything.

:iagree:

I would want to know.

Sometimes it's just a typo, but you can usually tell if the word is being misused. I have a friend who always uses "probable" when she means to write "probably". I don't know why I never pointed it out to her. I think I should...

You are correct. The multitude of posts using the terms incorrectly make me cringe. Maybe someone (obviously not you) should pick up their kids' grammar and spelling books, or a dictionary.

"We should bring cookies" is what I meant. I apologize for being unclear; I was in a hurry.

I have always thought that to suppose meant to assume or to think. So when I read suppose that is what I infer. "I suppose we should go" = "I think we should go" or "I assume we should go".

When someone says something like "We are supposed to bring cookies" it feels more like a directive, like "We are obligated to bring cookies. The translations "We are thought to bring cookies" and "We are assumed to bring cookies" do not make sense to me.

Is there another meaning for suppose that I am missing?

I've never known how to use 'myself' except as in, 'I bought myself a frock,' so the equivalent of a reflexive usage in French. Are there other correct uses?

Laura

People here who appear to be unsure of whether to use I or me in any given situation will often substitute myself, with regrettable results. ;)

"He and myself were invited to the party."

John invited him and myself to the party."

:ack2:

How about "then" and "than?" There is one particular hs mom I know who only uses the word than:

We went to the store on Saturday. Than we went to the bank.

I know it's not a typo because she does it every single time. :rolleyes:

Don't go with what you've read on people's blogs or whatever; there's a lot of incorrect usage out there. I'm with Mrs Mungo on the use of apostrophes (not to be confused with apostrophe's) for plurals. And then there's the whole "myself" issue, which I can't stand.

My dh uses the myself incorrectly at work. It drives me bonkers.

As for the loose and lose issue. I will go out of my way to find a different verb when writing because I inevitably drop or add an "o" while typing. Then I confuse myself by trying to figure out what I meant to write.