Menu

Convictions vs Fads

Do you ever wonder which of our convictions will turn out to have only been fads? I mean, it's easy enough to look at history, esp recent history, & identify trends, etc. It's unnerving to look around & see that one might have merely been swept up in a "movement" instead of really originally & insightfully "convicted" about things. :glare:

And listening to an older generations' remnants of the fads they thought were convictions is especially dark when turned into self-reflection. :glare:

So go my wise words for the day. :rolleyes:

I think that's why I have problems getting really hyped up about a lot of things. Swine flu? Bird flu? Killer bees? I might get all huffy at first, but then perspective slips in and I remember being terrified I wouldn't be able to leave my home, because the killer bees would've taken over the world :p

Today ds and I were doing logic. We were discussing the fallacy of snob appeal. His summation was "You should go broke to look good." (love that child, he's too wise for his years sometimes) :lol::lol: We had a nice long discussion about how many people have/do/did live that way, especially in the 90s. I guess you could call that a fad imo, because I am no longer convicted to possess things I can't afford to pay for with cash.

Ooh, very deep! I love questions like this! I hope you get lots of responses.

Some random thoughts:

We are so entrenched in the values of our society that it is so hard for us to truly question them in a significant way. As I go through ancient history with my kids I find myself wondering what it would be like to live at a time when people had a very different value system. Don't you wish that time travel were possible? Wouldn't it be neat to talk to someone from thousands of years ago?!

There are some things that just seem completely alien to me from other times. I just could not imagine believing in a whole bunch of gods and praying to statues. Were some of the people back then faking it as they prayed to all those gods or did they all really believe? Did society have as many cynics as we have today? What about the ancient Egyptians who thought the afterlife was so important, a whole civilization for thousands of years putting so much emphasis on the afterlife?

In terms of trends I think there are a lot of trends in terms of taking care of babies that we feel very strongly about but change pretty quickly ie. putting a baby to sleep on their back instead of tummy, co-sleeping, baby equipment that is deemed safe one day and found dangerous the next.

Do you think our generation values the "expert" too much, especially in areas like health, childrearing and education? I think that is changing a bit but I hope it changes more in the future.

Do you think our generation values the "expert" too much, especially in areas like health, childrearing and education?.

I think the real problem is people mistake who the expert is! Um, that little baby over on the floor there knows way more about her appetite than anyone else, so trust her, ok!

Aubrey: I've pondered the same thing at times. I look back on my previous years and think what an idiot I was, and that was without doing anything particularly stupid like losing my licence or anything. I've come to the conclusion that I can only work with what I've got now, and have accepted that in a few years time I'm going to look back and think I was an idiot :D

Rosie

Skipping a lot of fads has saved us a ton of money... then we spend it on things we like (such as travel).

It can make it difficult to buy clothes though - this said after I was out a couple of days ago looking and couldn't even find anything I wanted to try on, much less buy. Actually, there were a couple of cute things, but they were made in China and I haven't changed my standards to buying clothing (other than shoes) from there yet. When I'm desperate I might have to. It'll be a year or two before I'm desperate.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I think you are spot on. Modern convictions are too easily held. Maybe convictions should be things we would die for, therefore very few, if any.

When I look at the last 25 years of my life, I am embarrassed to see how many convictions I almost bought into that turned out to be the movement of the time.

I've definitely never been into fad products, but I have tried on homeschooling and religious convictions that thankfully faded away. My dh keeps me centered, he doesn't seem very affected by fads or movements. I shudder to think what my life would be like now if I had married someone else.

And don't forget the flip side.... how many convictions are reactions against fads? (Guess I'm feeling a little rebellious today). For example am I a stricter parent that I otherwise would be (or should be) simply as a reaction to a perception of looser parenting in our culture? (Trying to think of an example that won't derail the whole thread :tongue_smilie:)

If it's what you believe, it's a conviction. If it's what someone else believes, it's a fad. ;) Just kidding.

We avoid most fads by not having much influence from media. Fads within our own subculture we avoid by being very slow to get our "feathers ruffled." Usually, if everyone else is doing it, I am skeptical. That eliminates a lot of the problem.

I do have friends who are convicted about the issue of the moment, and they just seem frantic. That's not for me. :001_smile: I'd rather have waited and throught things through logically. Having a tight budget and a healthy respect for the effort dh spends in earning a living helps me avoid homeschool curricula fads. Having prayed-over and calmly-thought-over long-term goals helps us avoid parenting fads. Having strong moral convictions helps us avoid momentary follow-the-crowd moments we might regret. Like a PP said, I do look back on past days (mostly before I had faith or a working knowledge of logic) and see how I followed along. Ugh. That's part of the reason we homeschool; so dc don't learn to do that (I learned it in school.)

Edited by angela in ohio

Very interesting question. How many convictions are personal convictions that we as humans try to push on other people? Romans 14 really makes a stand on "Christian fads". We aren't to judge for another persons weakness. We aren't to be a stumbling block. We are to have our own conviction before God. I know this passage is talking about clean vs. unclean food, but it can be used in many ways.

I think the early church had a better grip on personal convictions. Then came St. Augustine who believed that man couldn't govern himself and needed the "Law" set back up. This brought us away from justification by faith.

I think many of our Christian "beliefs" are built upon tradition and other peoples personal convictions. They may work for some people, but we need not judge others who don't conform to our personal convections.

I also thinks some of our "fads" are built upon our lack of historical knowledge during New Testament times, but that is for another conversation.

God calls us sheep and what do sheep do? Follow! James 3 talks about how teachers will incur a stricter judgment because of how easy people are persuaded. A small rudder can direct a ship even against strong winds!

WOW!

What are some current fads? I always think of kids stuff like Pet Rocks, teen pop bands, etc. I can't think of much I have done or believed that was what I would call faddish, but maybe some others might have thought so? None I regret, at least so far. So, I would be curious as to what people define as a fad, and post examples (both old & new). :D

What are some current fads? I always think of kids stuff like Pet Rocks, teen pop bands, etc. I can't think of much I have done or believed that was what I would call faddish, but maybe some others might have thought so? None I regret, at least so far. So, I would be curious as to what people define as a fad, and post examples (both old & new). :D

I agree. I'm wondering what people consider to be fads. I don't think I participate in them though.

Oh, an excellent discussion point.

If I understand the OP's question correctly, I am thinking in terms of conviction vs. current agenda. (When I think of a "fad" I think of very superficial things, and I read Aubrey's post as referring to more significant, but passing, ideals -- of course, I could be totally wrong.)

Over the years, I've observed a family move from "we would leave the country before we quit homeschooling, because God mandates that we homeschool" to putting all their kids in public school. (This same family went from no birth control to saying they were "done"; wearing only skirts to wearing jeans; mom's hair went from waist length to a stylish bob.) They're a dear family and I'm happy that they are at peace -- BUT -- it taught me early in my homeschooling career to be very, very, very careful about "convictions". I think the family suffered a huge blow to the collective ego when they abandoned their "convictions" (partly because yes, they had been rather, um, enthusiastic in "encouraging" other people to share their "convictions").

I've never heard the term "convictions" used outside religious circles, I'm keenly interested in how this discussion works out in secular families. I've always rather suspected that religious folk look very peculiar with our "convictions" (especially when they change, hello).

Do you think our generation values the "expert" too much, especially in areas like health, childrearing and education? I think that is changing a bit but I hope it changes more in the future.

I'm so contrary about so much of what the experts say that I will look for an opposing view. The general population has been lied to by so many times by so-called experts. Seems there is always some kind of agenda behind the data.

Do you ever wonder which of our convictions will turn out to have only been fads? I mean, it's easy enough to look at history, esp recent history, & identify trends, etc. It's unnerving to look around & see that one might have merely been swept up in a "movement" instead of really originally & insightfully "convicted" about things. :glare:

And listening to an older generations' remnants of the fads they thought were convictions is especially dark when turned into self-reflection. :glare:

I have these thoughts ALL the time! Usually in regards to home decorating...I look at old houses and think 'once upon a time someone thought this orange shag carpet was gorgeous.' Then I'm all depressed when I think about decorating because I think, 'why bother. It's gonna be ugly one day.'

Yeah I'm weird.

If it's what you believe, it's a conviction. If it's what someone else believes, it's a fad. ;) Just kidding.

We avoid most fads by not having much influence from media. Fads within our own subculture we avoid by being very slow to get our "feathers ruffled." Usually, if everyone else is doing it, I am skeptical. That eliminates a lot of the problem.

I especially feel that way about "Christian" fads. The latest book that holds the key to manipulating God, or the key to prosperity or material abundance, or pray this way or that way and you'll be blessed materially--all make me :glare: .

I think the real problem is people mistake who the expert is!

I completely agree with that. Gracia Burnham spoke at my church last week and she commented that people were calling her to speak on topics of which she knew nothing. She said that her experience and book suddenly made her an "expert" in things she had no clue about and she really didn't belong at many of the places people wanted to speak at. And, that's sad, because people look to the wrong people for the wrong info. She's a wonderful lady and blessed me greatly, but she really doesn't know much about terrorism in the Philippines and it's rising effects. She knows what happened to HER, but that's it.

It's like, if you write a book, throw a website up, or have an experience, you're suddenly an "expert" on everything. SO not true!

I try not to get caught up in fads, especially of the Christian variety. That tends to make me look old-fashioned and stuck in tradition, but oh, well. I do wonder how things that are so popular right now will pan out over time.

I try not to get caught up in fads, especially of the Christian variety. That tends to make me look old-fashioned and stuck in tradition, but oh, well. I do wonder how things that are so popular right now will pan out over time.

Well, my grandmother's views on parenting, nutrition, etc. come from the propaganda of the 50s & 60s, when she was raising children. She comes from a very narrow, very legalistic worldview, & because of that, even when she changes her opinion on something, she latches onto the new thing w/ equal zeal, equal legalism. And she spouts the old & the new w/ the same...cult-follower kind of talk. That sounds way too harsh, but I think if you knew her, you'd understand. She's wonderful when you can get her to talk about what *she* thinks & *her* experiences, but she's often quoting someone else, crazier than herself.

As far as modern trends, I'm afraid I'd offend a lot of people if I wondered out loud. There are many groups & movements right now that I have a lot in common w/, w/ whom I share enough philosophy to be really drawn to them. But...are they..."fads" IS the wrong word...temporary movements, for lack of a better term...or are they more significant? I guess in the end, that's not even the right question. Really, it's do *I* really believe this stuff to this extent? To some degree, the answer is yes in several areas, but to some degree, well, I can't pretend that I"m not being influenced by political hype. That would be kind-of arrogant, wouldn't it? To say I'm above the influence but happen to be going the same direction? :lol: No, ma'am, that's not a wave carrying my boat, that's ME PADDLING HARD. ;)

So, would a fad be something like how my grandmother talked about how when she was pregnant, her Dr. told her to gain no more than 15 pounds, at the outside?? (I so wouldn't have made it in those days! :lol:) And a conviction would be something like, say, believing that it was essential to hold and cuddle your baby, even when the "experts" said not to?

So, would a fad be something like how my grandmother talked about how when she was pregnant, her Dr. told her to gain no more than 15 pounds, at the outside?? (I so wouldn't have made it in those days! :lol:) And a conviction would be something like, say, believing that it was essential to hold and cuddle your baby, even when the "experts" said not to?

I wouldn't consider that a fad as much as it was the current thinking of the day, based on the limited knowledge of a healthy pregnancy. To me, a fad is something that makes a huge splash, everyone is doing it, and as fast as it comes, it leaves.

You bet ya.

My mom had two babies early in life and on the advice of the experts...

Bottle fed...

Late baby...She nursed...

I wonder about that alot- and like Scarlett, think the same thoughts about decorating! I also find it interesting that you can usually tell the decade when someone was married based on the colors/hairstyles in the wedding photos.

I think about the trends and fads in the homeschooling movement, parenting, decorating, spending money, politics, etc.

The first year we started homeschooling Sonlight had just really gotten off the ground. "Living books" was the phrase amongst those in the know. Then along came unit studies, lap books, etc. Another current thread addresses the "curriculum du jour."

My parents were therapists/psychologists back in the day (my dh is a pscyh. and I have a degree in M.F.T.) and the fads in mental health are almost laughable. Primal scream therapy (though still practiced in many homes:001_smile:), reparenting, group work, 12 steps, etc. etc. many of which are still used to an extent (or have "evolved") but are now used as one of many tools rather than "the" tool.

I'm pretty skeptical about things when they end up being trendy, but I've also softened my stance on that as well, cause I've found that I've missed out on some cool things based on my own unwillingness to follow the crowd.

It's like, if you write a book, throw a website up, or have an experience, you're suddenly an "expert" on everything. SO not true!

I agree so much with this.

I find myself yelling (on the inside) to people IRL, on TV, here, elsewhere... "Why are you listening to that person. They're full of it!"

I have found in life that the harder someone tries to set themself up as an expert or a leader, the less they seem to actually deserve that respect. It's usually the people quietly going about their own business who are truly wise.

I agree so much with this.

I find myself yelling (on the inside) to people IRL, on TV, here, elsewhere... "Why are you listening to that person. They're full of it!"

I have found in life that the harder someone tries to set themself up as an expert or a leader, the less they seem to actually deserve that respect. It's usually the people quietly going about their own business who are truly wise.

**nodding in agreement**

Well, I think that the difference between a fad and a conviction is more a matter of how much thought went into the choice. If you are doing something just because "everyone is doing it" then it is a fad. If you are doing it because you've weighed all the options and it really is best for you and your family then it is a conviction.

Homeschooling could be thought of by many as a fad because it is more socially acceptable than it used to be (though as we know it isn't totally accepted!). And for some people they might be homeschooling really because everyone in their church or social circle does it. (So in this case you might qualify it and say "It is a fad within ___________ group to homeschool.") And of course that is true for public schools but doubly so since there are more people to follow in that choice. Those who have made lifestyle choices including educational method thoughtfully and out of conviction are less likely to jump ship when the going gets tough.

Now - some decisions (like what color to paint your house) is pretty arbitrary if you think about it. So now the fad is to have shades of brown, green and blue. (Except for the people who live down the street who must have painted their house fluorescent blue out of conviction!)

I think that's why I have problems getting really hyped up about a lot of things. Swine flu? Bird flu? Killer bees? I might get all huffy at first, but then perspective slips in and I remember being terrified I wouldn't be able to leave my home, because the killer bees would've taken over the world :p

LOL! I remember those killer bees. That was scary in Southern Cali. where I grew up. We were sure they would take over, just before California would fall into the ocean. ;)

In the world of Christianity....I see lots and lots of fads.

Very few people base their "convictions" on their own personal quite time with God's Word and Prayer. Any conviction found outside those bounds, is a fad. (in regards to Christianity...ykwim:))

Is this a CC discussion?

I'm not rocking the boat here just trying to figure it out because certainly I've heard people of faith use the word conviction in a unique way (esp. when people say 'convicted to' [do something]; I'd never heard of that; working in law enforcement I did hear plenty of 'convicted OF'. :D)

Anyway, I'll tell you the fad that's driving ME crazy; unfortunately it can't be wrapped neatly in one word but it is this thing characterized by the following elements:

being highly sceptical of pretty much everything - esp if it's to do with science or politics

seeing conspiracies everywhere

accusing anyone who doesn't agree with you of being a sheeple

telling people 'just open your eyes'!

You bet ya.

My mom had two babies early in life and on the advice of the experts...

Bottle fed...

Late baby...She nursed...

That's a good, noncontroversial example, I think. My grmother was told that she couldn't nurse because her "breast milk was like poison to her babies." You know, maybe she really did have some kind of problem that made her babies not able to take her milk--I don't know. But I've always been sort-of suspicious.

My other grmother claims she was pregnant w/ my dad for 1yr. She won't even consider the possibility that her dates were wrong. Ftr, dad was born at 6lb something, so...again...I don't know, but...? (This story doesn't really have anything to do w/ fads, just throwing it out there, lol.)

Is this a CC discussion?

I'm not rocking the boat here just trying to figure it out because certainly I've heard people of faith use the word conviction in a unique way (esp. when people say 'convicted to' [do something]; I'd never heard of that; working in law enforcement I did hear plenty of 'convicted OF'. :D)

Anyway, I'll tell you the fad that's driving ME crazy; unfortunately it can't be wrapped neatly in one word but it is this thing characterized by the following elements:

being highly sceptical of pretty much everything - esp if it's to do with science or politics

Yep, I think that could be a valid fad. But it looks just. like. good reasoning in many ways, too, unfortunately. Well... parts of it do. ;)

Anyway, there are fads in Christianity like anything, but I don't think this is a specifically cc discussion! :001_smile:

LOL! I remember those killer bees. That was scary in Southern Cali. where I grew up. We were sure they would take over, just before California would fall into the ocean. ;)

Dh remembers being told his adult years would be spent attempting to survive an ice age...

LOL

I put those as fads, because they sure seem like fads. I know they pass, lol, killer bees went out with flannels ;)

Is this a CC discussion?

I just finished a book by 'Ms. Manners' on how to talk :p

She mentioned the trend towards offering the opposite of tradition verbal offerings. IOW, on the loss of a loved one, a lot of people (I've been guilty of this) say things like, "it's all for the best," "they're in a better place," "at least it's over" etc. On the 'we're pregnant' announcement, "it's not too late," "now your life is over," "did you mean to" etc. And on announcing an engagement "hope you have a good lawyer," "it's not too late," "do you know what you're doing" etc. It DOES seem like the trend is to say only the opposite of the traditional, "I'm sorry" or "Congratulations."

It's a fad I'm trying to remove myself from :p

I've never heard the term "convictions" used outside religious circles, I'm keenly interested in how this discussion works out in secular families. I've always rather suspected that religious folk look very peculiar with our "convictions" (especially when they change, hello).

Much the same way except we aren't worrying over religious fads. Mostly we worry about the same things, but instead of "Is this biblical?" we say "Is this nuts?" :)

I have these thoughts ALL the time! Usually in regards to home decorating...I look at old houses and think 'once upon a time someone thought this orange shag carpet was gorgeous.' Then I'm all depressed when I think about decorating because I think, 'why bother. It's gonna be ugly one day.'

:smilielol5:

You aren't the only one, :lol:

Rosie