Menu

Poll: s/o of twirling/cutting spaghetti

How do you serve your sauce with your spaghetti?  

1. 1. How do you serve your sauce with your spaghetti?

• Pour the sauce into the pan and toss spaghetti, then serve
    • Plate the spaghetti and pour the sauce over the top
    • Other
    • Texas

My mother always plated the spaghetti and poured the sauce on top. We all sort of scooped up the spaghetti, trying to get enough sauce so that all the pasta was, you know, sauced. :-) There was always a plateful of sauce left on the serving platter. And so I have always poured the sauce into the cooked spaghetti, tossed it all, then plated it. No left-over sauce, every strand of spaghetti covered with sauce, yum. If I also serve meatballs, I'll place them on top of the plated spaghetti.

What about you?

Edited by Ellie

My dh and I have very different opinions on how much sauce is necessary so we plate the spaghetti on each person's individual plate and then pour sauce on top. He uses WAY more sauce than I do. WAY more than is necessary IMO :tongue_smilie:

I cook & drain the pasta, then toss the pasta with enough sauce to make the pasta "pink" and keep it from sticking together.

Then each serves himself and I pass the sauce at the table. (I am not of Italian descent so I can't bring myself to call it gravy. :lol:) Any meatballs or sausage that was cooked with the sauce is put in a separate bowl and passed.

That's just the way we do it.

My dh and I have very different opinions on how much sauce is necessary so we plate the spaghetti on each person's individual plate and then pour sauce on top. He uses WAY more sauce than I do. WAY more than is necessary IMO :tongue_smilie:

This is what we do also. The boys have different tastes in amount of sauce and meat.

I'm with your DH...I love lots of sauce.

Dd does not like her sauce and her noodles to touch. I serve them in separate bowls. Personally, I would prefer to mix them.

Jean - I totally understand your dd. I can't stand my food to touch. I was 17 when I got married and my dh thought I would "outgrow" it. :001_smile: We've been married 28 years and my food still does not touch (and I eat one thing at the time: starch, then meat, then vegetable).

I plate my spaghetti because everyone is picky about how much/how little sauce they like.

I had to vote 'other'. Because sometimes I mix it and sometimes I ladle it. It really depends on how much work I put into the sauce. If its straight from the jar (whether homemade or not), I mix it because I didn't deem it necessary to warm up first. If I embellished it (from a jar, whether homemade or not) with extras like onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic that I had to saute to begin with, then simmer the sauce to absorb the flavors, then I ladle it.

We have spaghetti Bolognese with meat :) and i put the pasta in each persons bowl then put the sauce on the top and then some cheese. For the kids i cut it up and mix it through to cool off. For me i leave it and combine and scoop as i eat, i like to twirl. My DH cuts his up and combines as he goes.

We make pinwheels with our left over Bolognese for a snack the following day.

Other. The spaghetti is served in one bowl, the sauce in another. Each person takes/gets as much sauce as they want. Leftovers are either refrigerated separately or frozen separately.

I wonder if anyone confused the "plate the spaghetti and pour sauce over the top"--if you answer the poll before reading the first post, you might interpret that one of two ways. Individual plates, or a main serving plate.

Edited by gardening momma

I do both, the same as my mother did. I make an enormous pot of bolognese sauce and cook a whole packet of pasta. For the first night it's plate the spag and ladle the bol on top (with an artistically placed sprig of fresh parsley if I have some on hand). Then for the leftovers next day it's all mixed up in the pot as it's reheated. If people have been greedy with the sauce and the leftover version looks a bit stingy, we'll add extra tomato, vegies and cheese to tart it up a bit.