Menu

What brand dishwasher do you have and do you hate it, like it, or love it!

I love, love, love my dual-drawer dishwasher. It's the greatest design innovation since sliced bread. Or somethin'. ;) Mine is a DCS by Fisher & Paykel, but F&P makes their own as well. A number of other companies are making them now too (Kitchenaid and Maytag among them, I believe), but I've only used my DCS/FP.

Really, it's fantastic though. The cycles are quick and fairly quiet, and I can be loading one dishwasher while the other is running... It's wonderful.

We have had 2 Whirlpool Golds. The first was still going strong after 7 years in our old house. Our current house has one that is still great after 8 years.

We spend time in a house that has a GE that is horrible. It is a higher end GE and is new so it isn't either those problems that cause it to be worn out.

Maytag. Like it just fine. No love/hate.

I never gave it much thought until I stayed in a couple of vacation condos recently and hated the dishwashers. Mine just loads well. I have also learned that if I ever need to buy another dishwasher I will take my travel coffee mugs in and make sure they fit on the top shelf. They didn't in the condos we stayed in and it was very annoying.

Whirpool Quiet Partner II. I love it. I went without a dishwasher for almost a year after our old one stopped working. I am so very happy to have a working dishwasher now! It makes such a huge difference in my day.

Features that I really like:

1. It's quieter than our old one. Not silent, but much quieter.

2. It has an optional sani-rinse cycle.

3. It has a soft-food disposal.

4. It has an adjustable top rack. It can be positioned very high or closer to the bottom rack.

5. It has plastic things that can flip down on the sides of the top rack to keep wine glasses in place.

6. The silverware basket can be positioned flat on the door or attached to the front of the bottom rack or placed in the bottom rack. It's very versatile.

7. It has a delayed start option.

Miele - Premier. It's about 5 yrs old, has required ZERO work or service calls, extremely quiet, and my favorite thing about it is the way it cleans.

You really have to see to believe, but I'll just give some examples: a casserole dish - you know how they look after you've baked something in them. With no rinsing or soaking, I can leave it out - OVERNIGHT even, and just put in the dishwasher. No worries - always comes out shiny clean. Oatmeal left on overnight to dry and cement on.....clean. etc.

Friends and family who stay here are always amazed and I have to fight with them to stop trying to rinse the dishes first. :D

The only thing it seems to have trouble with - wooden spoons. I do have to rinse and clean them off if they are too dirty, otherwise they will not come out clean.

We had a Maytag and I loved it. After 12 years it had finally had enough so we replaced it with a Frigidaire (cheaper and looked like it would meet our needs). Bad move. It's needed to have the motor replaced already (within a year) and now needs the top arm replaced (still within the year). We're glad we bought the warranty, but honestly, a new appliance shouldn't need fixing in the first year.

The Maytag cleaned MUCH better too.

I wish I could have a do-over.

We had a Maytag and I loved it. After 12 years it had finally had enough so we replaced it with a Frigidaire (cheaper and looked like it would meet our needs). Bad move. It's needed to have the motor replaced already (within a year) and now needs the top arm replaced (still within the year). We're glad we bought the warranty, but honestly, a new appliance shouldn't need fixing in the first year.

The Maytag cleaned MUCH better too.

I wish I could have a do-over.

I had a Kenmore refrigerator that the people at Sears told me was made by Whirlpool. After it started breaking left and right, I found out it was made by Frigidaire (while ordering parts). NEVER AGAIN!

Our Kenmore just died. Hate it hate it hate it. It was the one Consumer Reports rated tops - I will never trust them again. Actually there have been other times CR has steered me waaay wrong. They like cheap over quality. I like inexpensive as well as the next person, but not at the expense of getting the dishes clean and lasting a long time.

Anyway, we just got a Kitchen Aid (which is Maytag's upper-end line; they all have stainless steel inside). We got one with almost the least amount of bells and whistles, though - I just wanted quality and quiet, not tons of "extras". I hope it's good (not here yet) -they seem to be well-rated.

The salesman told us to stay far away from Fridgidaire.

Had a Bosch. Had to service it w/in 6 months for computer parts. Returned it. Bought a Kitchen Aid.

It hasn't broke but I am constantly having to send it through another rinse cycle because of the film of food it leaves on glasses. This is with a rinse aid, without one, and with vinegar. Makes me mad.

Here's some information about brands. Turns out it's awfully hard to know who actually made your dishwasher. This is too long- I'll have to make two posts.

Consumer Reports

Appliance sleuthing

The nameplate doesn't always indicate who makes your refrigerator, oven, or washer

Last reviewed: November 2009

Our recent tests of refrigerators included more than 75 models from 23 brands.

That's a lot of companies, until you play appliance detective and discover that the $21.8 billion annual market for refrigerators, ovens, washers, and other major home appliances isn't such a vast place after all.

It's also worth noting that the manufacturing arrangements change all the time.

The Whirlpool Corporation, based in Benton Harbor, Mich., makes Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Gladiator products. The company has gobbled up Admiral, Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef, and Maytag and all of these Whirlpool brands account for about 27.3 percent of major appliance sales in the U.S., followed by General Electric brands—GE and Hotpoint—(25.1percent), and the Sears Kenmore (16.7 percent).

Whirlpool makes appliances for Ikea, Sears Kenmore, and side-by-side built-in refrigerators for Thermador.

Whirlpool's certainly not the only Kenmore supplier. Frigidaire,and LG also manufacture Kenmore refrigerators, Haier handles some of its compact refrigerators, and Danby makes some of its wine chillers, and Sanyo builds some of its its freezers.

Whirlpool's certainly not the only Kenmore supplier. Frigidaire and LG also manufacture Kenmore refrigerators, Haier handles some of its compact fridges, and Danby makes some of its wine chillers, and Sanyo builds some of its freezers.

General Electric is well known for a vast array of products—lightbulbs, jet engines for military planes, and "The Today Show." But this corporate colossus, based in Fairfield, Conn., also makes appliances under the GE, GE Monogram, GE Profile, GE Café, and Hotpoint brands.

Across the Atlantic, BSH Home Appliances is a leading purveyor of high-end appliances. This German company brings you upscale kitchen and laundry appliances under the brand names Bosch, Gaggenau, and Thermador.

Elsewhere in Europe, you might think of Electrolux as the onetime producer of those old, quirky-looking canister vacuums. But this Swedish manufacturer has also brought you refrigerators, freezers, washers, and more under its own nameplate and brands like Frigidaire and Tappan., Electrolux is also connected to Sears: It makes refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, washers, dryers, stoves, wall ovens, and cooktops for Kenmore and high-end Kenmore Pro appliances.

Viking sounds Scandinavian, too, but the company, known for its pro-style ranges and built-in refrigerators, is actually based in Greenwood, Miss. Viking does manufacture its appliances, except for a freestanding refrigerator that's made by Amana, microwaves by Sharp and undercounter refrigerators from Marvel.

The reliability factor

One thing to keep in mind when you're shopping for new appliances: Even though a company manufactures several brands, differences in reliability exist among those nameplates, according to Mark Kotkin, director of survey research for Consumer Reports.

Moreover, says Kotkin, you shouldn't assume that an appliance made by a manufacturer for another brand offers the same reliability as the same appliance sold under the manufacturer's mark.

Based on hundreds of thousands of responses to our Annual Product Reliability Survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center, you can learn more about the brand reliability of refrigerators, electric or gas ranges, cooktops, wall ovens, and dishwashers (all are available to subscribers). Visit our Appliances page for more information on all appliances, and check out the Kitchen-Planning Guide for expert advice on remodeling your kitchen.

Where to find clues

Appliances

Solving a mystery requires some investigating. If you're trying to figure out who makes what products, there are some Web sites that provide clues found in the model numbers of appliances. One such site, www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml, says it can reveal many of the different manufacturers of Kenmore appliances.

We just recently bought a Kenmore because our Whirlpool was a lemon. It never did wash dishes properly and the dealer kept telling us it was because we were using bad soap. Then they went out of business and we were stuck with it. So far, the Kenmore is working great and we are all happy to have a working dishwasher again.