Menu

Do you think these meals sound good?

i just wonder if other ppl would think this stuff sounds good. They're pretty simple, plain meals and vegetarian at that. So, if you read a meal and think, sounds okay but I hate feta, well, substitute for a cheese you do like b/c we all love feta. But if, over all, you just think it's kind of a lame meal, say so. kwim?

These are just examples.

Greenbeans with potatoes-in-the-jacket, smoked tempeh. butter, s/p served at the table. So, if you don't know what smoked tempeh is, just think, smoked ham or something.

baked potatoes with broccoli, cheese, bacon sprinkles, butter and sliced tomatoes on the side.

shepherd's pie

minestrone served with homemade ww bread, feta, and olives.

lasagna and salad

beans and cornbread.

bean and veggie toss w/cheese, salad or sliced tomatoes crackers or hm bread. (usually something like broccoli, canolini beans sauted in butter w/ s/p. shredded parm or something on top and put in to broil till melty. it could be some other combination though)

so, for plain fare, not a special day like Thanksgiving or Christmas but just a plain old Wednesday, would you think these are yummy? too plain? gross? looks okay but not to your taste?

Just curious.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

Oh wait, these are all vegetarian? How do you make vegetarian Shepard's pie?

I generally make shepherd's with left-over lentils and mashed potatoes. So, say we have lentil stew on Tuesday and potatoes on Wednesday, I'll put the lentil stew (w/o the broth, sometimes thickened, sometimes not) into individual corningwear bowls. I mix mashed potatoes with cheese (sometimes cheddar, sometimes something else) and top the lentils. Bake till hot through and potatoes are just starting to brown on top.

It might not be lentil stew, though. Sometimes we have a lentil dish that I make by carmelizing onions, then adding lentils and water or broth and letting it cook till the lentis are done and broth is mostly gone. I stir in diced tomatoes at the end. So, that might go into the shepherd's pie instead.

i just wonder if other ppl would think this stuff sounds good. They're pretty simple, plain meals and vegetarian at that. So, if you read a meal and think, sounds okay but I hate feta, well, substitute for a cheese you do like b/c we all love feta. But if, over all, you just think it's kind of a lame meal, say so. kwim?

These are just examples.

Greenbeans with potatoes-in-the-jacket, smoked tempeh. butter, s/p served at the table. So, if you don't know what smoked tempeh is, just think, smoked ham or something.

baked potatoes with broccoli, cheese, bacon sprinkles, butter and sliced tomatoes on the side.

shepherd's pie

minestrone served with homemade ww bread, feta, and olives.

lasagna and salad

beans and cornbread.

bean and veggie toss w/cheese, salad or sliced tomatoes crackers or hm bread. (usually something like broccoli, canolini beans sauted in butter w/ s/p. shredded parm or something on top and put in to broil till melty. it could be some other combination though)

so, for plain fare, not a special day like Thanksgiving or Christmas but just a plain old Wednesday, would you think these are yummy? too plain? gross? looks okay but not to your taste?

Just curious.

I have to laugh at myself. Because I love Tempeh, And feta cheese, and beans, and olives, and broccoli, and minestrone soup, corn-bread, green-beans, lasagna, and salad. These are all "normal" around here.

The foods that are least a part of our diet are the ones I'm sure most folks would find the most normal. We rarely eat potatoes. Or bacon. And butter is used in small quantities, and almost never as a topper or a spread.

But it all sounds good to me :001_smile:

Bill

Sounds pretty good to me! Although, I love tempeh, just not the smoked stuff. But otherwise, it kinda looks like a week at my house!

Why do you ask? Do you think they sound good or gross?

I think it's good, very good. These are some of my favorites. But, I don't know . . . I don't really think they're very exciting.

I actually try hard to make sure that each meal has a nice, pleasing variety of colors, textures, and tastes. I try to make every meal at least fairly nutritious, as well. So, I like the food and we have the variety and nutrition but . . . I don't know . . . maybe I'm feeling boring.

My daughter informed me the other day that her dozen dozen children will live off of boughten white bread, sugar, and t.v. dinners and not have to eat homemade food all the time. She was joking but, you know, much truth is spoken in jest. It kind of hurt my feelers. So, i've been thinking about the food I serve.

A man behind me at the check-out at the grocery actually commented on the color and "freshness" of my groceries the other day. The ck out girl actually said, "yeah, her groceries always look that good." I do try hard. Still, that comment from my girl still bummed me out a bit.

I guess that's all it is. silly.

I think it's good, very good. These are some of my favorites. But, I don't know . . . I don't really think they're very exciting.

I actually try hard to make sure that each meal has a nice, pleasing variety of colors, textures, and tastes. I try to make every meal at least fairly nutritious, as well. So, I like the food and we have the variety and nutrition but . . . I don't know . . . maybe I'm feeling boring.

My daughter informed me the other day that her dozen dozen children will live off of boughten white bread, sugar, and t.v. dinners and not have to eat homemade food all the time. She was joking but, you know, much truth is spoken in jest. It kind of hurt my feelers. So, i've been thinking about the food I serve.

A man behind me at the check-out at the grocery actually commented on the color and "freshness" of my groceries the other day. The ck out girl actually said, "yeah, her groceries always look that good." I do try hard. Still, that comment from my girl still bummed me out a bit.

I guess that's all it is. silly.

You should feel very proud of yourself for feeding your family nutritious, delicious, visually appealing, fresh homemade food.

How does it get better than this?! Well done!!!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
silly typo

Aw, kids never appreciate what they have. Someday her kids will be marveling over grandma's delicious homemade bread v. the "boughten white bread" that their mom serves them. OR...they will be eating their mom's homemade bread and she'll be astounded that you recall she ever said such a thing! :grouphug:

I love Tempeh. In fact, last Friday dh took me on a date to PF Chang (my favorite). He asked me if I would like to go anywhere else, so I asked if we could go to Whole Foods so I could stock up on Tempeh:001_smile: I ate it every day when we lived in Indonesia. Dip it in egg and milk; roll it in flour with chopped green onion; fry. Serve with rice. YUMMM

I'm running to the end of my grocery money for the month, too. DD keeps asking me to make pasties, so I think I'm going to actually do it tomorrow, if I'm not too exhausted from our museum trip in the morning. I'll make up a BIG batch and then I can freeze most of them.

Tonight, we're going with simple--grilled cheese and tomato soup, pickles on the side (regular dill for DD, veggie mix for me). Yes, it's half processed junk (I'm soiling the $1/loaf organic multigrain (or maybe jalapeno cheddar for me) bread with processed cheese and Campbell's cheapo tomato soup), but at least I have milk for the soup.

I've managed to make more from-scratch meals in the last two weeks than in the several months preceding. It's certainly helping the grocery budget.

ETA: Your menu does sound good.

Edited by Ravin

I think there are better ways to cook tempeh than steaming and whacking on a plate, (actually I think it is gross that way) but if you like it, go right ahead! Mmm. Tempeh. We had some in a very tasty stir fry last night, and I have a really spiffy recipe where it is marinaded in orange and lemon juice. Tasty :)

Rosie

They seem like perfectly reasonable daily fare to me. Obviously preparation makes a difference, lol -- any of them *could* be lovely or *could* be icky depending on the quality and freshness of ingredients, etc. :)

I'd be completely happy to be invited over for a "non fancy" meal at your house. :)