Menu

What's Your Favorite Appetizer?

I've been assigned appetizers for my sister's 50th birthday party next weekend.

I have to take sausage stars, because my niece said she wouldn't let me in the door without them. :-) I'll also be taking a cheese ball, but I'm at a loss for what else to make.

I'd like to take 4 in all, and I'd like one more hot and one more cold, if possible.

What's your favorite tried and true?

I don't know if this is a local thing, but no get together is respectable without a taco dip:

8oz pkg cream cheese, softened

8oz pkg sour cream

1 pkg taco seasoning

Mix together with beaters. Spread onto a jelly roll pan/cookie sheet/really big platter.

Top with:

Shredded lettuce

Shredded cheese

Chopped tomatoes, red onions, black olives, green peppers.

Serve with tortilla chips.

Yum!

Dd and I make this at home just because its good. And then we eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner until its gone (which is, unfortunately, not a long time).

I don't know if this is a local thing, but no get together is respectable without a taco dip:

8oz pkg sour cream

1 pkg taco seasoning

Mix together with beaters. Spread onto a jelly roll pan/cookie sheet/really big platter.

Top with:

Shredded lettuce

Shredded cheese

Yum!

Dd and I make this at home just because its good. And then we eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner until its gone (which is, unfortunately, not a long time).

Mmmm........that sounds really good, and really easy!

My favorites:

Water chestnuts wrapped in half a piece of bacon, baked and topped with a sauce.

Pot stickers.

Shrimp with cashew sauce.

Chips and homemade salsa.

Spinach stuffed mushrooms.

That bread you make with crab, mayo, butter and cheese.

I love appetizers.

Hot artichoke dip with pita chips.....Mmmmm.....you got me craving this now.

SOOOOO easy. Here's my MIL's recipe:

1 can marinated artichoke hearts (or two jars), drained (don't have to be perfectly dry) and finely chopped

8 oz. Cream Cheese

8 oz. Mayo

8 oz. Sour Cream

1 c. shredded parmesan (sp?) cheese

2 or 3 cloves garlic minced

1/2 tsp. dill weed

Pre-heat oven to 350. Cream together all ingredients. Spread in ceramic or glass dish (I use a glass Pyrex or stoneware pie plate) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Serve with favorite hearty crackers, corn tortilla chips (I like the small round "Garden of Eatin'" chips) or pita chips.

Taco Rollups are a hit here

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1 can refried beans

Mix together. Spread on flour tortillas and top with finely shredded cheese (Mexican blend, taco blend, cheddar, colby or whatever). Roll up. Chill and slice into small rounds. Serve with salsa.

Gosh, I'm getting hungry reading all this.

What are sausage stars?

This stuff all sounds so good!!

Sausage stars are these amazing little foods that were sent to me, specifically, directly from God himself, I think. :D

Ingredients

• 1 lb cooked crumbled breakfast sausage

• 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar

• 1 1/2 cups monterey jack

• 1 cup hidden valley original ranch salad dressing, (prepared from mix, not the bottled stuff)

• 1 (60 count) package wonton wrappers

• vegetable oil

1. Heat oven to 350. Combine drained cooked sausage meat with the cheeses, ranch. Lightly oil mini muffin tins and press a wrap in each tine so there are 4 wings sticking out. Brush with oil and bake 5 minutes until golden. Remove wraps from pan, place on a baking sheet Fill wraps with the sausage, cheese mixture bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly & brown.

I think the original recipe has diced black olives and chopped red bell pepper, too, but I never use those. These things ROCK!

Chix wings.

I put them on a large bakign sheet..single layer. Sprinkle with whatever I am in the mood for..usually lawry's, but it can be garlic powder and paprika too.

Bake at 375 for 2.5 -3 hours. Delicious. Yes, I seems a long time to bake them, but they come out perfectly..everyone loves them.

There's a yummy veggie dip with mayo... roasted almonds... olives.... a bit of salt. and some other simple ingredients... if it sounds good I'll get the recipe. I put it in a colored pepper and put veggies including cut up yams (which I incorrectly call sweet potatoes cuz they sound better:-) They taste like sweet carrots (These are raw:-)

Carrie:-)

8oz pkg sour cream

1 pkg taco seasoning

Top with:

Shredded lettuce

Shredded cheese

Yum!

:iagree:

I make this, too, with a layer of refried beans on the bottom, and a layer of taco seasoned ground beef on top of that (if I have the time and energy :001_smile:), then bake in the oven long enough to melt the shredded cheese on top.

How about chicken salad with croissants or even just crackers to spread it on? Meatballs in sauce in a crock pot? Pigs in a blanket? Mini quiches? Also, a fruit tray is always a big hit.

If it's a get-together for kids, we usually have pizza rolls, chicken tenders, chips and dip, chex mix (homemade is better!), mozzarella sticks, etc.

Some of the ideas already mentioned are AWESOME - deviled eggs, water chestnuts wrapped in bacon, spinach dip...

My favorite, though, is jalapeno poppers! Halved jalapenos with the membranes removed (or left in, depending on the spice level you like - if I take the membranes entirely out, there's no heat), filled with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon with a toothpick, and baked for half an hour at 350. Nom. :drool:

Taco Rollups are a hit here

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1 can refried beans

Mix together. Spread on flour tortillas and top with finely shredded cheese (Mexican blend, taco blend, cheddar, colby or whatever). Roll up. Chill and slice into small rounds. Serve with salsa.

That looks really easy. Thanks!

Ceviche (fresh firm raw fish "cooked" in lime juice, then mixed with fresh salsa)

Baby Octopus grilled over a wood fire.

Smoked Scottish Salmon.

Oysters on a half-shell

Sabzi Khordan (a platter of fresh herbs: Basil, Dill, Mint, Tarragon, Garlic Chives, Onion, Radish, etc. Accompanied with Walnuts, Feta Cheese, and Lavash bread).

Asparagus with homemade Aioli.

Good Olives.

Roasted Garlic served with a crusty french bread, butter, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

A Bruschetta of Buffalo Mozzarella, Basil and Tomato.

Wood-fired homemade pizza.

All kinds of salads.

Bill

Smoked salmon puffs:

Wrap a hunk of smoked salmon and a dab of cream cheese in squares cut from puff pastry (Pepperidge Farms -- in your grocery's frozen food section). Bake according to package directions.

You can jazz these up by adding capers, dill, whatever you'd like to the filling.

These are easy:

Take a can of crescent roll dough, unroll it and seal up the perferations where you're supposed to separate it. You want one long rectangle piece of dough.

Cover it with either marinara sauce or pesto, (or even a savory cream cheese) then roll it up, as if you're making cinnamon rolls. Cut into 1/2 inch slices and bake. I make these for potlucks and they're always a hit.

I also like:

hot wings

nachos

mini quiches

veggie pizza

home made snack mixes

salsa and chips

guacamole

hummus or baba ghanouj w/ pita chips

black bean salad w/ Tos**** Scoops

Mexican cheese dip (the white cheese)

spiced mixed nuts

There's a yummy veggie dip with mayo... roasted almonds... olives.... a bit of salt. and some other simple ingredients... if it sounds good I'll get the recipe. I put it in a colored pepper and put veggies including cut up yams (which I incorrectly call sweet potatoes cuz they sound better:-) They taste like sweet carrots (These are raw:-)

Carrie:-)

I'd love this recipe if you get a chance!