Menu

Did you have your boy/s read Pride and Prejudice, or did you just skip it?

We are coming up to the point when I am going to hand over Pride and Prejudice to dd15. And perhaps Jane Eyre before or after. And I have Tess of the D'Urbavilles in mind as well (I read all 3 in highschool and loved them). I am really uncertain though whether to have ds13 read one or any of them too...he would probably get through them faster than dd, he reads well....but I dont like to "turn him off" reading, so to speak, since he is an avid reader. He loves fantasy- so does dd.

There are zillions of wonderful classic books we will never get to...not sure if I should attempt to get him to read those more traditionally female ones? Its not the style- we just read Ivanhoe together, they are good with older book language- its the content, the themes. What is your experience? Another possibility is to pick one as our read aloud...ds did love Ann of Green Gables but he was much younger then. Now he wants to be a Man, so to speak :)

thanks

Especially about Pride and Prejudice, as I have been wanting to re-read that myself.

I think my ds would like it as a read aloud; I don't know if he would get through it on his own, or if he would get bored. But my ds listened to me read Little Women and liked it, so maybe he's an odd one? ;)

I do want to make it a point for my dc to read or listen to me read books that may not be under the category of the gender they are...does that make sense? I don't want my boys to only read "boy books," nor do I want my girls to read only "girly books," because they will both miss out on some great literature that way.

HTH

I didn't have my ds read any Jane Austen at all. He did suffer through Wuthering Heights, but that was the extent of his torture. He's an avid reader and read profusely in high school, but I tried to stick to more yeomanly tomes.

:iagree:I read P&P for the first time about two years ago. I'm barely made it through the book, I'm just not an Austen fan. I remember thinking I would not torture him with that tale. I did like Sense & Sensibility much better and would lean toward making him read that.

This is a real book... it says "With Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!"

Hey, if it will get my 16yo gamer to read Jane Austen I'll buy him a copy. He asked to read it. I'd like to read it myself.

:lol:

...or this, Zombies are big around here.

My son had to read it for TOG. He did just fine, although he said it was rough going. I got the Colin Firth version of the movie which was pretty faithful to the book and we watched it and that REALLY helped. He had no idea that Mrs. Bennett was so funny and we all ( 7th and 2nd grader) would groan and boo at the screen everytime Mr. Collins came on the screen.

Christine

No boys here, but I read P & P myself a few months back. I do remember thinking, "It's a nice read, it is a memorable story, the characters interested me, the novel does explore a woman's place and options in that society, BUT I'm not certain it's really necessary to read it." I also thought that the book contained a subtle irony -- Elizabeth Bennett criticizes a society that, by the conclusion of the book, she is about to enter! Will she ever really belong where she's headed? What other options did she have?

Aside from these questions, the language, of course, is stuffy and archaic, but that's sort of the point, I think -- to read books in the style of the period. However, there are plenty of other novels from this era. Could you perhaps substitute something more geared to boys?

• Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
  • Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
  • David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens
  • Silas Marner, by "George Eliot," pen name of Mary Ann Evans

OTOH, here's a link to someone who thinks P & P is a must read:

http://victorian-fiction.suite101.com/article.cfm/5_british_novels

he read at least the first several chapters.

I know it is story line that typically doesn't appeal to guys. (SWB has an anecdote in her Great Books tape about when she was teaching it at college). But it is well - written and has the atmosphere of that time which are a good exposure.

So we'll see how far he actually gets.

This is a real book... it says "With Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!"

Hey, if it will get my 16yo gamer to read Jane Austen I'll buy him a copy. He asked to read it. I'd like to read it myself.

:lol:

Hey Jenn, this was my strategy! ;) We had a lengthy delay at an airport in August so I bought him this book in part to keep my son occupied. Not only did he love it, he said that he'll read Austen. He has yet to make good on that promise, but he's currently reading Crime and Punishment, so I won't complain.

My oldest read P&P last year at age 15 and liked it, he especially loved Mr. Bennet's humor and rolling his eyes at Mr. Collins and Mrs. Bennet.

Well, I'm glad to hear you say this. My oldest ds read it a few years back and had a similar reaction.

Actually, I let my sons read so many male-centric books during their lives I figure it is good for them to read a few girly ones, too. The thought never entered my mind not to. Of course, Jane Austen is one of my all-time favorites:D

Edited by periwinkle
typo

:lol: Some females consider Wuthering Heights to be an instrument of torture ! I could not -- and still cannot -- stand that book !

In general, I think P&P would fall flat for a boy, along with the rest of Austen's novels.

My 15-yo son just read Ivanhoe, and laments that he never discovered the book before now. I introduced him, then, to the joys of online texts. (I have dozens of websites bookmarked.) He plans to cruise those websites, then check out desired titles from the libraries.

For the OP's son, may I suggest the "Hornblower" series of books?

Jules Verne is another author liked by both girls and boys. My eldest son (turning 23) still reminiscences about loving Michael Strogoff.

Selected titles of Dickens also are "home runs" for teens. My 15-yo is rolling with laughter over character descriptions in Martin Chuzzlewit.

If OP's son likes early history, locate the "Roman Britain" novels of Rosemary Sutclif.

There are a lot of good books out there for teens !

P.S. I might be more tempted to test a son out via one of the film versions of Pride and Prejudice -- although not the one with Keira Knightly (sp?), because in that version, Bingley's character is changed into that of a blithering dolt, rather than presented as a good-hearted, just not overly-intellectual, man (which is the book's presentation of him). Even Jane is changed into a giggling ninny.

QUOTE=Karen in CO;1195609]I didn't have my ds read any Jane Austen at all. He did suffer through Wuthering Heights, but that was the extent of his torture. He's an avid reader and read profusely in high school, but I tried to stick to more yeomanly tomes.

Edited by Orthodox6

My ds was 15 when he read it. He identified with Mr. Bennet's humor and considers himself to "be" much like Mr. Darcy. So, he was racing dd to get to the end of the book. He really liked it, much more than dd did. In fact dd, who much prefers mysteries to romance, did NOT like it as much as her brother did. I was completely blown away by how they both responded to this book.

So, I would not rule it out....

Just my two cents,

Brenda:001_smile:

My oldest read P&P last year at age 15 and liked it, he especially loved Mr. Bennet's humor and rolling his eyes at Mr. Collins and Mrs. Bennet.

My son has a subtle, ironic twist to his sense of humor, and he enjoyed P&P. He found the ridiculous character of Collins amusing, and 'got' the conversational fencing, too.

Depends on the student, I guess.

Blessings,

Debbie

I will have ds (17) and dd (15) read it this year. If they want, AFTER they have read the real P&P, I will get them each the zombie one. (I really want to read the zombie one!)

I figure one "girl" book isn't going to kill him. :D

(Hmmm, I'm wondering if I should require ds (13) to read it with us this year.)

Thanks everyone, it sounds like some of your lads enjoyed it and others of you would just skip it without trying.

I will see if it ends up competing for something else of equivalent value when the time comes...or perhaps another year or two of maturity might do him some good anyway (he is 13 presently).

What are you referencing ? ["zombie"] Thx.

I will have ds (17) and dd (15) read it this year. If they want, AFTER they have read the real P&P, I will get them each the zombie one. (I really want to read the zombie one!)

I figure one "girl" book isn't going to kill him. :D

(Hmmm, I'm wondering if I should require ds (13) to read it with us this year.)

I assigned my dd to read P&P for high school English. Both my boys picked it up and read it on their own. They said it was "O.K.", but it must have kept their attention or they would not have gone all the way through it on their own, right?

I've seen other discussions about P&P, and I've found more boys who read this without complaining than I expected. You might be surprised.

Jean

My dh is a big Austen fan. He also has a certain rapport with young people, and is always trying to convince the young men at our church to read P&P. He has managed to convince a few. When all other arguments fail, he uses the " hey man if you wanna understand chicks read this" approach. :lol:

Edited by Jugglin'5
typo

Just want to give a pitch for the audio version of P&P. I've read Austen for years, but recently started listening to the audio versions read by Nadia May and it is a revelation! She brings the satire to life with her characterizations, and can bring out the sheer beauty of a phrase just by her tone, inflection and phrasing. I find myself laughing out loud or wanting to stop the book and just savor a phrase.

My boys were introduced to Austen via the Collin Firth BBC version and throught the Bollywood Bride and Prejudice. They've listened while in the car to those Nadia May audio versions too and have been laughing out loud along with me.

And yes, I agree with the poster's dh who told the guys they should read P&P if only to understand women!

Hello Peela,

I'm jumping in a bit late but here's my two cents worth...I assigned P&P ( I think ds was about 17 at the time); he enjoyed it and then asked to read the rest of the novels as substitutes for other works I'd originally assigned. I think what most inspired my son's interest was the assignment from CW Maxim which involved comparing Mr. Collins' proposal to Capt. Wentworth's in Persuasion.

I should add that we've watched several film versions as a family over the years so he's seen me swoon over Mr. Darcy and also noticed his father's admiration for Eliza's fine eyes. That said, I doubt that ds would have appreciated P&P at age 13, and part of his interest now might be due to the fact that several of the young ladies he knows also enjoy Jane Austen's work. :lol:

Martha

Edited by Martha in NM
typo

He was 13, nearly 14, and in 8th grade. He is a wonderful reader, and a very compliant kid. He did not like this book. I think the issue is that it is so very dialogue-heavy, very unlike the style of most of the fiction he has read otherwise. We may try it again at some point. We did watch the movie, and he liked that better than the book- again, I think he just found the dialogue confusing, as there was so much of it and it is easy to lose track of who is speaking when reading the book.